PDA

View Full Version : Are you allowed to camp at the same spot 2 nights in a row?

RevoRunner
02-07-2011, 20:26
Are you allowed to hike to a spot (either reservation or non-reservation) and setup camp for 2 nights? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't allowed. I'm thinking about day hiking from my site on day two rather than packing up and leaving to my next destination.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-07-2011, 20:33
Are you allowed to hike to a spot (either reservation or non-reservation) and setup camp for 2 nights? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't allowed. I'm thinking about day hiking from my site on day two rather than packing up and leaving to my next destination.

I think you're allowed to stay up to 2 nights at a back country campsite (if it's one with a reservation required you would have to have it reserved for 2 nights) if no reservation required you can stay 2 nights..I think..at shelters in the gsmnp you are only allowed to stay 1 night. Disclaimer....I'm not a park ranger but I think this is correct..you can find out for sure at the website:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm

Blissful
02-07-2011, 22:16
For the Smokies -

4. You may stay up to three consecutive nights at a site. You may not stay two nights in a row at a shelter.

Jim Adams
02-07-2011, 23:39
...or until you run out of beer!

geek

RevoRunner
02-07-2011, 23:51
haha... thanks very much for the info guys. Now all I have to do is find a good site that has some good dayhiking within range.

Trailweaver
02-08-2011, 03:37
Would you feel that leaving your gear would be safe? I've always worried that my gear would be missing if I left it for several hours. Anyone have experience with this?

The Weasel
02-08-2011, 05:01
Would you feel that leaving your gear would be safe? I've always worried that my gear would be missing if I left it for several hours. Anyone have experience with this?

Never leave your pack out of your sight. Ever. EVER.

TW

LoneRidgeRunner
02-08-2011, 08:12
Never leave your pack out of your sight. Ever. EVER.

TW

Ditto for me...

RevoRunner
02-08-2011, 11:53
Yeah, that has crossed my mind. I would definitely hike with my pack in tow. But just thinking about leaving behind shelter, extra food and cooking items on the bear line and stuff like camp chair.

It does make me wonder what the theft rate is for items left behind. I like to think that most hikers are upstanding people... but that's what can get you in trouble.

I'll have to think about it.

Farr Away
02-08-2011, 14:10
You may want to indicate somehow that you haven't just abandoned the stuff.

-FA

TIDE-HSV
03-29-2011, 00:35
You may want to indicate somehow that you haven't just abandoned the stuff.

-FA

I shouldn't think that the "abandonment" issue would arise any where but along the main ridge. In other campsites, the signs of an occupied campsite are really quite evident. I still take valuables with me, but I've been hiking the Smokys for over 40 years without a theft...

Land_Shark
03-29-2011, 06:34
100 hundred paces over the hill and thru the dale to the hidden campsite we go. Just be smart about it and you'll be fine with your gear.

10-K
03-29-2011, 08:08
Hey look! I found a chair and some food somebody left!!!!

aaronthebugbuffet
04-02-2011, 20:57
I once met a guy that was camping at spots for multiple days and doing day hikes each day. He had a lot of gear in rubbermaid containers strapped on a game cart. His game cart had busted a wheel. lol
I thought that was an odd way of experiencing the Smokies.

Montana Mac
04-02-2011, 21:02
hey look! I found a chair and some food somebody left!!!!

trail magic!! :d

leaftye
04-02-2011, 21:13
trail magic!! :d

:banana :banana

Windcatcher
04-03-2011, 12:22
Checked GSNP Map;
You must have a backcountry permit for all overnight stays, no fee for the permit.
Stealth camping is prohibited, use designated sites or shelters.
Some sites require reservations, some don't. All shelters require reservations unless you are thru-hiking.
You can stay up to three nights at a site, but you cannot stay two nights in a row at a shelter.
Use of tents at any shelter is prohibited.
You must bear bag your food.

HooKooDooKu
04-04-2011, 12:03
haha... thanks very much for the info guys. Now all I have to do is find a good site that has some good dayhiking within range.

The places that come to mind are camp sites 11 or something in the 50's (51, 58, 59).

RevoRunner
04-04-2011, 15:28
The places that come to mind are camp sites 11 or something in the 50's (51, 58, 59).

Thanks... that's good to know. Thank you. Any good information about the shape of site 52? Water close by? Usually crowded?

Ox97GaMe
04-05-2011, 22:18
of the nearly 100 campsites in the park, there are only about half a dozen that ever have water issues. Shelters on the ridge (The AT) tend to dry out in the summer.

maintainers are responsible for removing anything that is deemed trash from a shelter or campsite. This includes items left unattended on the bear cables, because they dont know how long items may have already been hanging. If you leave items hanging and dont have camp still set, it could disappear. This is a minimal risk, as the maintainers and rangers are at campsites regularly. If you do leave items, put some sort of note with it, just to be safe.

TIDE-HSV
04-08-2011, 01:40
With the impending USG shutdown, some of these regs may be a moot point...