PDA

View Full Version : little hump/big hump Mt.

shades of blue
01-03-2005, 09:47
I'm wanting to take a day hike up to big hump mt. just north of Roan Mt. Is there a side trail that will take you to the Overmountain shelter from one of the local roads to cut down on the mileage? I'm taking my g.f. and her daughter. Hiking either sobo from 19 E or nobo from carver's gap is too far for the daughter on a day hike. Any help here would be appreicated.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2005, 09:58
There is a road that can get you close to Overmountain Shelter plus there's the Overmountain Trail that connects to the AT but I don't know access points for either.

orangebug
01-03-2005, 10:20
And there are FS/country roads near Hump that hunters use. I suspect that you could drive near Doll Flats, even.

If this is a first day hike for the daughter and GF, I'd suggest simply parking at Carver Gap and walking north and have lunch near the first shelter north, enjoying the balds along the way. If they have good legs and no blisters, you could make it further. Alternatively, simply go SOBO and enjoy Roan Mtn.

shades of blue
01-03-2005, 13:22
L. Wolf or Orangebug...do you think Bob Peoples at Kincora would know directions off of 19E to get to some of the FS roads, to be closer to the overmountain shelter?
The reason I want this place so much is to introduce a long climb with a super reward at the summit. My GF has already hiked this section with me, but her daughter 13...had a bad experience camping with a church group. I want to reintroduce her to a rewarding summit hike, and this is one of the best in the area. Also, I think she would enjoy seeing the overmountain shelter. I had also thought about Mt. Cammmerrer (however you spell it), but a lot of that hike is under tree canopy, and the balds aren't.
My other option is to hike NOBO from Carver's Gap. This is a super hike too, but I wanted her to see the shelter also.

sherrill
01-03-2005, 14:05
You can call my friend John McFerrin at Take a Hike outfitters in Black Mountain NC. He directed my wife and I to the road that ends up near Overmountain shelter. (828) 669-0811. Tell him Tim said hello.

ed bell
01-03-2005, 14:28
I believe the name of the access road that gets close to the Overmountain Shelter is Roaring Creek Road. I don't have real clear directions to find it, but the other two sources mentioned are A+.

MileMonster
01-03-2005, 17:29
Keep in mind all the warnings about parking along 19E. Apparently the locals don't appreciate hikers or their cars parked at the trailhead there.

Miss Janet
01-03-2005, 20:14
Keep in mind that you are always taking a risk parking at any trailhead not just the trail infamous areas around 19e.

But Bob can give you directions to drive to within a mile of the barn. I could drive there but I am not good with giving the direstions. It is a pretty spot.

A great easy day hike with a 2.5 mile climb with a nice bald as reward would be from Indian Grave Gap north to the Beauty Spot and back down.

shades of blue
01-03-2005, 20:42
Thanks folks! I called Bob (actually the GF did) and we have directions now. Going near doll flats and then within .2 mi from the shelter. Miss Janet, Beauty spot was beautiful too. There are so many great places to hike....I've just wanted to go to big hump again for a while. Thanks for everyone's help!