PDA

View Full Version : Footwear

JawsThemeSwimming428
02-07-2011, 22:03
I'm trying to determine what the best footwear is for my hike. I plan on doing a few day hikes in March and a weekend and a week at some point in April/May. Any recommendations on shoes (I'm not a fan of boots) and socks? Where should I start looking? Thanks in advance, everyone on this forum has been extremely helpful so far.

Ontiora
02-07-2011, 22:09
I'd have to suggest Columbia Pagora hiking shoes- they're comfortable and give ample traction, without the boot feel.

leaftye
02-07-2011, 22:11
We can throw out a bunch of names, but you really need to try them on your own. Unfortunately it's hard to find a local store with a good selection of trail shoes, even if you're in a big city like I am. What you could do is take some of the recommendations and order all of them from Zappos, and then return what you don't like.

As far as shoe types...
A shoe with a wider toe box should prevent blisters between your toes. If you can't find a wider shoe, then you may need to buy a larger size to get that width. Mesh is great for dry feet, which in turn reduces your chance for blisters and allows more miles to be hiked. Lightweight shoes also allow more miles to be hiked, especially going uphill because your hip flexor muscles don't take a beating trying to lift heavy shoes. Waterproof membranes like goretex are often not very useful for long hikes, so you might want to avoid those.

I guess I'll throw out one recommendation: Inov-8 Roclite 320

Blissful
02-07-2011, 22:12
Trail runners. Get a good fit at a running / professional shop.

rjjones
02-07-2011, 22:18
If your near an REI its worth checking there.You can buy a pair of shoes,hike with them,and if you dont like them,return them.

chazaq
02-09-2011, 13:31
high-top chuck taylors!

icemanat95
02-09-2011, 13:59
The shoes that fit your feet best and provide YOU with sufficient support, traction, etc. are the proper shoes for you, regardless of what any of us say.

SassyWindsor
02-09-2011, 22:19
Spend lots of attention and take time to select the proper footwear. I would be pretty frightened if I was starting a hike of any type and not really be sure of what footwear I'll be using or able to use. The footwear should be fully broken in with plenty of hours of use prior to all but the shortest of hikes. The trail between ASP and Neel's Gap will be full of blistered feet when the spring pilgrimage begins, usually the feet will be in brand new footwear.

Spokes
02-09-2011, 23:23
Anything but Vasque Velocity trail runners........ ugh.

I like Bridedale Trekker (http://www.bridgedale.com/Products/Product.asp?ProductID=8) or Darn Tough Vermont Boot Cushion 1403 (http://www.darntough.com/hike-trek-1403.html) socks

Outdoor76
02-10-2011, 11:50
The shoes that fit your feet best and provide YOU with sufficient support, traction, etc. are the proper shoes for you, regardless of what any of us say.

YES!! YES!! YES!!

Go somewhere and get fit (that does not mean feeling for your big toe at the end of the shoe). There are lots of popular shoes that are known for doing a lot of the things you expect in a LD shoe/boot really well, but almost every shoe on a shelf is cut different. The people who love their Merrell's and Keen's are TYPICALLY (not always) have a higher volume (meso/endomorphic) foot. Your Euro boot's/shoes (Asolo, Scarpa, Aku, LaSportiva, etc) are cut narrower and have lower [volume] capacity.

Any outfitter store that sells footwear should be taking the time to "interview" your feet, and they should know the fit, form and function of every shoe they offer.

Sickmont
02-10-2011, 11:55
Trail runners. Get a good fit at a running / professional shop.

+1
I concur completely.

sbhikes
02-12-2011, 23:44
Imagine your feet right now are the ones on the right. Your hiking shoes should allow your feet to become the feet on the left. If your shoes do not, you will get a lot of blisters. Do not get a tight fit, a snug fit, a close fit or the type of fit a "professional" will give you. Get a loose fit, maybe even a whole size up, with snugness around your instep and all the extra space in the toe area. You can fill in the extra space with insoles or extra socks. Then as your feet widen there will be enough space.
http://nwfootankle.com/useruploads/images/Foot%20Shape%20Change%20-%20sm.jpg

LDog
02-12-2011, 23:52
What everyone else said about getting fitted. Make sure your heal isn't sloshing around in the heel cup. Make sure your toes won't jam up against the toe box during extended down hills.

If your pack weight is light, consider trail running shoes instead of traditional heavy boots. It's been said a pound on your foot is equivalent in your energy expended to carrying 6 lbs on your back.

If you're gonna be hiking in snow, rain and muck, consider a shoe with a breathable, waterproof liner.

Good luck!

icemanat95
02-13-2011, 00:47
That number is sort of funny. I've heard it everywhere between 3 and 5 before today, that's the first time I've heard it elevated to 6 pounds.

The weight of the boots is more a matter of what you are used to. I have to wear leather, electrical hazard rated boots with a steel safety toe every day for work. I'm used to it. In the winter, we go to rubber knee high boots with kevlar chainsaw protective layers, a steel toe and EH rating, Plus felt liners, etc. Probably 4 pounds or so per foot. No problem...after a few weeks.

The single most important thing is that to boots fit your feet properly and won't burn you.

When trying out footwear, try them on at the end of the day, preferably after a day of being on your feet. Your feet will be swollen and spread out from the day's activities, plus they will be sensitive to fit.

Always try out boots with the socks you intend to wear with them, otherwise the fit is only approximate.

If you wear orthotics, you need to try on the boots while wearing those orthotics. Orthotics will change the fit of the shoe, guaranteed.

Sock choices: I'm a big fan of Smartwool and Thorlo. I've also tried Bridgedale trekkers and like them quite a bit, but I don't know about durability. The most durable socks I've worn are still Thorlo Trekking socks. I've got some that are 15 years old and still wearable.

I used to wear liner socks and wool socks over them. I don't anymore.

The more structured the shoe you choose, the more critical fit becomes. If you wear running shoes, fit isn't as critical, but you better be hiking light or the absence of support will kill your feet. Stress fractures in the metatarsals are not fun.

Know your own feet. There are basically three general types of shoe lasts that shoes are built upon. There is a European Last, which is curved like a banana in toward the toes. There is a combination last which is straighter from the heel, through the rear arch, but then curves in the forefoot. Finally there is the American or Straight Last, which is, as it implies, a fairly straight shape and a bit wider in the forefoot. My feet are a classic American Last foot, with a medium high arch, and a relatively narrow overall foot, though requiring decent volume. European lasted shoes torture me, and combination lasts are really touchy. I also have short toes for the overall size of my foot, so I am often obliged to choose shoes somewhat longer than my foot length would indicate to get the arch and the ball of my foot located properly, leaving a bit too much space in front of my toes, which you can get used to. People with long toes in proportion to their foot often end up with crunched toes to properly locate the ball of their foot and the arch.

Know where your foot's senstive zones are. Many shoes tend to press my little toes into their neighbors.

Hot feet or cold feet? My feet sweat profusely, like the rest of me, and can get cold in the winter. I've also had frostbite before. This affects my choices for the fringe season. In the Summer, I know my feet will sweat, so water proofness is less of an issue since my feet will be wet anyway. A breathable boot makes sense under these cricumstances.

sole construction: I love Vibram rubber soles. They stick marvelously even to wet rock. The Skywalk soles used by Vasque are also nice.

More often than not, I am looking at Merrell boots of one sort or another. I possess a set of Montrail Moraines that are still excellent full leather boots, as well as some Vasque Alpine crampon compatibles, and Koflach plastic mountaineering boots. But my primary hikers are Merrell Chameleon Ventilator mids. Good boots for my feet. Your mileage WILL vary.

SassyWindsor
02-13-2011, 01:09
I too give 2 thumbs up to Vibram, however, some are better than others.

JawsThemeSwimming428
02-14-2011, 01:30
I actually went with Merrells. I tried on quite a few pairs but they felt the best. I'll give them a shot and see how it goes. I'm doing a few day hikes first so I get a good idea. Thanks for all the input.

sbhikes
02-15-2011, 13:58
Merrels are pretty good. They are much more foot-shaped than other brands. They also seem to last a lot longer than a lot of the other trail runner brands.

High Side
02-16-2011, 14:16
Recently borrowed my brothers Vasque boots (we have the exact same foot) and they were great in snowy/slushy/slick conditions. I was amazed how dry my feet stayed.

Outdoor76
02-17-2011, 11:42
Recently borrowed my brothers Vasque boots (we have the exact same foot) and they were great in snowy/slushy/slick conditions. I was amazed how dry my feet stayed.

Curious which Vasque boots? That's good to hear.

Old Grouse
02-17-2011, 11:46
You don't indicate where in PA you are. If you're in eastern PA you might consider a trip to Campmor in New Jersey, where you'll find a much greater selection than most stores, including any REI or EMS I've been to.

Delta-Dawn
02-17-2011, 13:46
The people who love their Merrell's and Keen's are TYPICALLY (not always) have a higher volume (meso/endomorphic) foot.

I learned something new today...I'm an endomorph! lol I love, LOVE my Keens. I plan on having them and my Vasque's when we start SOBO in July.

high-top chuck taylors!

Is this really a good option? My daughter (who is SOBOing too) wants to wear her Chucks and/or Keens, not boots at all. We've tried on so many and she hates how heavy they are. Last weekend she and I did a 10 mile loop and she wore her Chucks and proclaimed that's what she wants to wear hiking and I can quite worrying about finding her some boots. So many things I have read say that trail runners and plain old tennis shoes are just fine for the A.T. but I worry about her feet. Did you really wear your Chucks and how did your feet hold up?

bflorac
02-18-2011, 00:53
If you have wide feet, then look to New Balance. I going to try the new MO1000BY this year.

fredmugs
02-18-2011, 10:14
As far as shoe types...
A shoe with a wider toe box should prevent blisters between your toes. If you can't find a wider shoe, then you may need to buy a larger size to get that width.

Agree 100% with this. I have pretty much eliminated a lot of the blistering and foot pain I had by switching from boots to wide width Merrell trail runners. I don't particularly have wide or fat feet but having that extra room has made all the difference.