PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Ohio looking for a starting point.

Preluder
02-07-2011, 23:17
Hello, I am looking for a good section to hike and I am driving from ohio. Looking for something probably 15-20 miles mabe. Gonna be a weekend hike so 2 nights. Was hoping to get good recomedations of where to start and finish as this is our first trip to the AT. Thanks , Justin

Two Tents
02-08-2011, 00:11
Where are you in Ohio?

Preluder
02-08-2011, 00:23
I am in the Youngstown area, which is the eastern edge. I think Somewhere in PA would be the best option. Should be about an 6hr drive which is easily doable. But I will look into any suggestions.

Cookerhiker
02-08-2011, 09:12
Hello, I am looking for a good section to hike and I am driving from ohio. Looking for something probably 15-20 miles mabe. Gonna be a weekend hike so 2 nights. Was hoping to get good recomedations of where to start and finish as this is our first trip to the AT. Thanks , Justin

I'd suggest hiking between Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace State Parks in PA. 20 miles of fairly easy hiking mostly along ridgeline without the fabled PA rocks.

What about transportation? If you only have one car, you need to either obtain a shuttle or hitch. The stretch I've recommended isn't a bad hitch since it's all along one road (PA Rt 233) which parallels the Trail.

This may not literally be the closest AT point to you but it's a nice segment that fits your desired timeframe nicely.

Hikerhead
02-08-2011, 11:17
I would recommend Pearisburg or Damascus Va. Both are easy to get to and they have folks that will shuttle you up the trail and you hike back to your car.

fredmugs
02-08-2011, 12:04
You can drive down to Turners Gap in Boonsboro, MD and you would have about 20 miles or so to the hostel in Harpers Ferry.

Preluder
02-08-2011, 21:21
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into each of them. We have been thinking of taking two cars. One to leave parked somewhere safe at the end of our trail. And then drive the second one to the start. Is this common, and safe to do ?

Lugnut
02-08-2011, 21:26
Cheaper to pay for a shuttle than drive an extra car.

Preluder
02-08-2011, 21:30
We may bring a second car either way. There will be 3-5 of us, may still take shuttle though. We are looking for something with a bit of challenge but nothing overkill. All are in good physical shape. The section fredmugs listed sounds interesting it is only 4.5 hr drive for us. How is this part of the trail ?

fredmugs
02-09-2011, 10:16
We may bring a second car either way. There will be 3-5 of us, may still take shuttle though. We are looking for something with a bit of challenge but nothing overkill. All are in good physical shape. The section fredmugs listed sounds interesting it is only 4.5 hr drive for us. How is this part of the trail ?

I'm at work and don't have my maps (make sure you have AT maps) but there is a large parking lot off US 40 with a side trail that leads to the AT. I got slacked to there once. If you started there and proceeding NOBO once you get to Harpers Ferry you have to hike al of the way thru the town and down the canal before you reach the hostel. I'm guessing you could leave a vehicle there but I would call first.

The other thing you need to do is check out the Rohland website:

http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx

It lists pretty much any viable parking spots along the trail with user comments about safety, etc.

Preluder
02-09-2011, 22:11
Thanks for the link fred very good site for parking information. Also to best describe what kind of hike we are looking for. Something that will be a decent challenge but not too difficult. Would like to find a spot with a good view, and mabe some fishing. Anyone know of a spot like this that would be good for a 2 night hike lol.

Hikerhead
02-09-2011, 22:17
Peters Mtn hiking south into Pearisburg, Va. About 20 miles long. 3 mile climb starting off, not hard, just long, well switched backed. A few decent up and downs after getting on the ridge. Grassy Bald with a shelter about 4 or 5 miles from the end.

fredmugs
02-10-2011, 07:35
I can't help you with fishing but for future reference I will say that when I section hiked GA a guy came with us who went fly fishing every day.

trailangelmary
02-15-2011, 16:14
I can't help you with fishing but for future reference I will say that when I section hiked GA a guy came with us who went fly fishing every day.

Best bass fishing in 3 states -where the AT, Susquehanna River and Juniata Rivers meet in Duncannon.