PDA

View Full Version : End of Feb hike prep help

Mtn Scout
02-07-2011, 23:50
we are doing a 3d/2n hike the last weekend in feb. i am trying to get my pack down to 30lbs including water and everything. how would you guys pack?? looking for a complete list down to amount of food. i think i am way overpacked but i cant quit thinking i would rather have it than not. i will try to post my list later this evening. my biggest decision is the amount of clothing to take and which s. bag. i have a 25degree and a 15degree and there is about a lb difference in weight, any help is appreciated:D

TheChop
02-08-2011, 01:21
we are doing a 3d/2n hike the last weekend in feb. i am trying to get my pack down to 30lbs including water and everything. how would you guys pack?? looking for a complete list down to amount of food. i think i am way overpacked but i cant quit thinking i would rather have it than not. i will try to post my list later this evening. my biggest decision is the amount of clothing to take and which s. bag. i have a 25degree and a 15degree and there is about a lb difference in weight, any help is appreciated:D

Depends where you're hiking and your hiking list. Biggest thing to do to reduce pack weight is to weigh everything and put it in a spread sheet. Gets real easy to drop weight when it is an actual number and you can see what leaving x and y behind does to the weight.

I did a shakedown hike at the beginning of Jan. it was 45/25 in terms of temps. I figure that's about as low as I'll face on the usual for the first month.

10-K
02-08-2011, 09:50
The first place I would look is food. I know I tend to consistently come home with extra food (weight).

Another suggestion would be to consider how much water you want to carry at one time... A quart of water weighs 2 lbs... I used to start out with 2 quarts (liters actually). Now I generally start with 1 - a weight savings of 2 lbs right there.

Edited to add: Actually, I start with a new bottle of gatorade and an empty gatorade bottle for use if I hit a dry stretch. During the day I drink the gatorade and when it's gone I have 2 empties to fill up with water. I also carry a 1 liter Nalgene canteen for extra water for camp at night.

takethisbread
02-08-2011, 10:08
a 2 night hike should be easy to get under 30 lbs.

You just need:
bag (3lbs)
Tent (3lbs)
Pad (2lbs)
Extra clothes (3lbs)
Food (6lbs)
Water (2lbs)
water filter (1 lb)
Stove and pot, spork (2lb)
Pack (2lbs)

thats 24lbs right there. you do not need much more than that.(its a couple days) Take the warmer bag. itll be cold.

Spartan pack for that short of a trip

Mtn Scout
02-10-2011, 00:27
ok fellas. i did some testing tonight. i have everything in the pack except for these things rights here
bag 3lbs
pad 1 lb
water 6-8lbs
clothes 3lbs
hammock 1.5lbs

the pack itself is 3.5 and with everything minus whats about i am at 11.67lbs so when the above is added i should be at a little over 26 lbs. i am very pleased with this but i have a few questions. some say i carry too much water most of the time. i usually have a camel back and 2 water bottles full. last trip i was totin 10 lbs of H2o. is this way too much??? and i could shave the hammock off but we are a group of 8 plus and i am afraid the shelter may be full one of the 2 nights and if it is i want to be able to hang without any worry. i can give a more detailed list if needed.

Mtn Scout
02-10-2011, 00:30
ok guys some some packing last night. i am at at 11.67 minus these items
sleep bag 3lbs
pad 1lb
clothes 3lb
water 6-8lb
hammock 1.5
some say i carry too much water. last trip i toted 10 lbs. is that over kill. i also could shave off the hammockl but we have a big group going and i am not banking on the shelter being vacant

Mtn Scout
02-10-2011, 00:31
sorry for the double post. my computer froze and i thought it did not post. after a few minutes it posted both

Mtn Scout
02-11-2011, 19:08
packed it all up last night i am at 30.3 lbs and thats with 8 lbs of water. i can take that. but you guys think i am carrying too much water????

Snowleopard
02-11-2011, 19:19
Too much water! If there's a severe drought in midsummer, it's probably still too much water. You really only need enough water to take you from one water source to the next. You don't say where you're hiking, but I'd be surprised if you'd ever need to carry more than 2 liters (~4 lb) anywhere on the AT. There will probably be water near where you sleep, so drink up in the morning before you start.

You don't say where you're hiking, but for winter hiking drink a lot of water. Cold air is very dry and dehydrates you quickly. The standard for winter hiking in the north is to carry 2 liters of water for a day hike, assuming all water sources are frozen.

mweinstone
02-11-2011, 19:56
6lbs too much water. and you wont be hanging. in the cold everyones going to make room in the shelter cause its more heat the tighter your packed.

Blissful
02-11-2011, 20:39
Unless you are hot blooded, not certain you will be in a hammock with a 15 degree bag. My hubby can't anyway. He's too cold and he has fat on him.
8 lbs of water! I'd carry that in the desert if i had too, but that's it.

At least a couple of your people can help carry a two to three man tent.