PDA

View Full Version : My 2011 Gear List in Beta Testing

NiteRaven
02-08-2011, 00:43
In the spirit of sharing I've decided to open the contents of my backpack to criticism, comments, and idea stealing. :) I probably spent about two months absorbing and seeking advice from you all. It is highly appreciated! This list is tuned for an early March departure.

My Gear List in Google Spreadsheet Format (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aqct1jCAz93RdHZIVnhqQjVJQWxWdXYzZ1dQOV81U FE&hl=en&authkey=CNrVzeIE)

I think the most important things I learned is footwear and sleeping bags are highly personal. I tried on a lot of shoes. I also discovered I'm a bit claustrophobic, that's why I went with a semi-rectangular bag.

Thanks so much!

mountain squid
02-08-2011, 21:41
Some observations:

consider a sil-nylon stuff sack instead of ursack
footprint might not be necessary
seems like alot of long underwear - will you ever wear them all at the same time?
no cotton t-shirt
bandana/buff
towels will probably be unnecessary
2 pr shoes?!?
how many socks? 3 should be ok, always leaving one dry
don't know what a Fenix E20 is, but need only 1 light source
lighter
fuel bottle
needle for draining blisters
duct tape
pencil
notebook
whistle
maps

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Jersey Tim
02-08-2011, 22:26
Mr. Squid makes good observations. Some other thoughts:

-If you haven't bought the pack towels yet, save yourself some money by going to your local bigboxmart and get a chamois. They stock them in the auto section, for drying cars, and come in a plastic tube, and cost a quarter of what you'd pay for a dedicated "pack towel". (works for me; also recommended here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=gttww (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/../index.php?page=gttww) ).

-Finding a pair of hiking shoes that you really like and breaking them in is OK, but you won't want to carry them until your current ones wear out. You're better off maildropping them.

-If you're going to be bringing your phone and digital camera, don't forget their chargers.

NiteRaven
03-03-2011, 20:38
With only two days to go before I start my hike, here is the final list of gear I've come up with. It weighs in at just under 30 pounds without food and water. Thanks for the tips mountain squid, I've incorporated a few of them. The needle and duct tape are in my first aid kit. The only item I'm not sure about is the extra flashlight on top of my headlamp. I read it's good to have two light sources and the Fenix is really bright. I got the towels for free with my sleeping bag purchase because of Moontrail's bonus point system. (they are great, btw). Many thanks for all the help. It's time to put the rubber to the trail!!!

My Gear List in Google Docs (http://bit.ly/febyVh)

TheChop
03-03-2011, 21:35
Seriously... two pairs of nearly identical shoes? Why? That's 2 pounds right there. The sandals are nearly as heavy as your regular shoes. Completely unnecessary.

You shouldn't only carry long underwear either. Nothing sucks more than being sweaty and hot in 40 degree weather when you're hiking in long undies.

Just carry three pairs of socks. No need for liners unless you have found them useful on past hikes. The good news is you're not at a crazy weight and you have the major stuff down so it seems like a matter of deciding you don't want X, Y and Z and sending it home at Neel's.

NiteRaven
03-03-2011, 21:46
I'm not bringing the second pair of shoes with me. I thought that was clearly stated in the spreadsheet. They will be mailed to me after the first pair breaks down. I'm no longer bringing the sandles with me, you are looking at the old list. Make sure to check the final list. I've switched to a lighter camp shoe. I'm sure it will be easy to pick up some briefs when things warm up... I'm starting in winter ya know?

Audiorob
03-03-2011, 21:55
Packs a bit heavy as well as the other things mentioned. Loose the pillow and use your 2 Liter water bladder filled with air.

TheChop
03-03-2011, 22:24
I'm not bringing the second pair of shoes with me. I thought that was clearly stated in the spreadsheet. They will be mailed to me after the first pair breaks down. I'm no longer bringing the sandles with me, you are looking at the old list. Make sure to check the final list. I've switched to a lighter camp shoe. I'm sure it will be easy to pick up some briefs when things warm up... I'm starting in winter ya know?

Yes and I hiked in South Carolina in January and I was hot and sweaty when I had on smart wool long bottoms and it wasn't getting over 50 degrees. Hiking up hill gets your body heat going. It's better to have one long and one short. That way if it's really cold you can sleep in them or wear them. If it turns warmer you're not burning up. It also saves 2-4 ounces.

You also don't need a t-shirt, lightweight shirt, mid weight shirt, jacket and rain jacket. I'd go with the short sleeve, mid weight shirt, jacket, rain jacket. Sleep in the mid weight or the short sleeve or bare chested depending on the weather. No need for 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 regular shirts, etc.

Fats
03-03-2011, 23:57
Why do you have two towels?

What is included in the first aid kit?

Can you remove some of the weight of the sanitizer?

I'd drop the pillow, but it's a personal thing.

I'd love to see an update of this list after the first stop.

Brad

BrianLe
03-04-2011, 03:29
If you're sold on that pack, then you are --- I know there are strong proponents of the McHale's, and I have no experience, but FWIW a 4 pound pack wouldn't entice me no matter how comfortable or feature rich.

Ursack: mine is more like 7 - 8 oz, Have you weighed this yourself? I used an Ursack Minor last year on the AT and liked it; full up Ursack strikes me as real overkill on that trail, extra weight that's not needed.

3.7 pounds for tent plus footprint also strikes me as on the high side, but it's kind of late for you to change. You could at least just drop the ground cloth. If you really really want to keep the tent bottom clean, go to a hardware store and buy the stuff that's used to shrink-to-fit as temporary storm windows (polycro). Cut to fit. Quite light and very tough.

24 oz for a sleeping pad strikes me as a lot, and no padding if you get a non-repairable leak. Again, a bit late to change now for you, however.

You can always mail home the rain pants, and I suspect you will. Or you could just drop them at the start for a bit less weight to lug around.

Ditto the cotton sleeping clothes; a style thing, but as you lug that pack around, consider the virtues of just sleeping in the clothes that you hike in. Less fuss, less muss, no weight hit.

What's a naturally biodegradeable bar? I'd leave it behind somewhere to biodegrade in peace (but not on your back).

A whole roll of toilet paper?? How long are you resupplying for at a time?

It looks to me that, assuming your weights are all correct and that you've included everything --- that you're at about 29 pounds not including food or water.
Better you than me, brother. Starting in late Feb last year I had a base weight of about 17 pounds, dropped to about 13-1/2 pounds in Pearisburg. You will really, really feel the difference in carrying 12 more pounds from the start than I did.

I wish you the best of luck, and strongly suggest that you ask the folks at the outfitter at Neel's Gap to give you their standard shakedown when you get there --- and follow their advice insofar as you possibly and reasonably can.

NiteRaven
03-04-2011, 11:31
@TheChop: You're right, I really don't know how hot it'll be or hot i'll get climbing the hills all day with long underwear. I may switch out for briefs and save a clean pair of longs for sleeping. I'll have to think some more about how many shirts I have. Thanks for the advice.

@Fats: Here's a link to the medical kit, they make good stuff:

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?catname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight&prodname=Ultralight%20/%20Watertight%20.7&product=236

I am to curious to see what I end up changing. I'll make sure to update.

NiteRaven
03-04-2011, 11:41
@BrianLe: The McHale pack was lent to me by a good friend. It's a tad heavy but built for comfort. All the weight rides on your hips so it really lightens the load.

I did weigh the Ursack, I believe it's an older model. It's green in color. I weighed everything with a digital scale.

I suspect I'll be dropping a lot of weight when things warm up a bit more. Then again, it's already been pretty warm here in NC the last week. I figured I'd take the "safe than sorry" approach as I can always send stuff back. I'd rather not regret bringing something. I don't feel like my pack weight is excessive, but my knees may tell me otherwise.

I leave tomorrow. Live long and prosper.