PDA

View Full Version : Whisperlite Internationale

DVNDSN
02-08-2011, 12:01
I really like this stove because it runs on jet fuel. In my situation, I can get the jet fuel free to fill the MSR bottle.
If you know jet fuel, it sometimes comes with what pilots call "prist". This additive is put in the fuel so it won't freeze, so I know for sure that my fuel won't freeze out in the field.
I was wanting some feedback from people who have used this stove. Can you explain the "shaker jet" part of the description? Is this how you clean it? What exactly do you shake, the stove itself?

woodsy
02-08-2011, 12:51
The shaker jet is in the base of the stove itself. It is suppose to move freely and you should be able to hear it moving if you shake the stove but you have to listen closely.
In order to free it up if its not shaking freely you need to tear it apart . , unscrew the priming cup then Pull generator tube out of the mixer tube,unscrew the shaker jet using the jet and cable tool, remove the needle and clean inside the jet.
Mine is almost 15 years old and have never torn it down, but i use coleman fuel, don't know if jet fuel is dirtier or not.

ki0eh
02-08-2011, 12:55
I just bought a new one, looks like they have some design changes vs. my old one that died after a fire on a picnic table (probably a good thing youtube hadn't been invented yet).

I still have what's left of a gallon of Coleman fuel bought 12-15 years ago, would it still be good for use in the new stove? (And if not, what should I do with it??)

woodsy
02-08-2011, 13:04
I've got some coleman fuel that i bought in 97 and it works fine in the whisperlight..

Funkmeister
02-08-2011, 13:14
Considering the freezing point of Jet A is -40*, I'd say it's unlikely you would need this benefit. And free? Here it is $5.45 a gallon.

KI0EH: I'd say try your Coleman fuel at home first. What to do with it? I'd probably dilute it half and half with unleaded and use it in my snowblower/ lawn mower.

Mike413
02-08-2011, 13:15
I have an old one. They have a needle built in. It works from the inside to clean any residue out of the jet. You just have to shake it for the thing to slide back and forth to do it's job. This feature is more important if you run on dirty fuels. I have been fortunate enough to be able to always get camp stove fuel. But I really like having the option to use other fuels in a pinch.

woodsy
02-08-2011, 14:57
Haven't heard of anyone having trouble with coleman fuel freezing but the rubber o rings can start leaking in the 20 below range, too cold for this kid to be out.

Mine is an older model too, 600 series.

Zeno Marx
02-08-2011, 15:41
Mine is almost 15 years old and have never torn it down, but i use coleman fuel, don't know if jet fuel is dirtier or not.Pretty much my same situation. I've been threatening to replace all the O-rings and whatnot that come in the repair kit, but I haven't wanted to mess with something that works just fine.

I believe the "shaker jet" is a little pin that floats around in there that keeps the passage ways open and functioning. Pokes through any gunk and burnt fuel residue.

I'm not sure about old white gas and when it should be thrown out vs being used. I have some old stuff, and it fires up just like the day I bought it. I thought about running it through a coffee filter to see if any solids have formed or if any rust from the can had occurred inside the container. If the fuel is clean and burning, I can't see a reason why not to use it.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-08-2011, 16:10
I have the whisperlite shaker jet but not the international version I've never used anything except msr white gas in it and never had a problem..yep..just shake the stove to clean it..never had the fuel freeze either been out below 0* F had it for years..I test drove mine a few weeks ago with some pretty ole msr gas ..seemed to be fine... msr says the gas can get old to the point it will burn with an erratic flame..but they may be just trying to sell more gas

LIhikers
02-08-2011, 16:50
.....I still have what's left of a gallon of Coleman fuel bought 12-15 years ago, would it still be good for use in the new stove? (And if not, what should I do with it??)

If you heat your home with oil just dump that old Coleman fuel in the tank. Mixed with a 100 or so gallons of home heating oil it will burn just fine.

Considering the freezing point of Jet A is -40*, I'd say it's unlikely you would need this benefit. And free? Here it is $5.45 a gallon.........

Think pre/post flight inspection, service check, or some other time to sump the tanks. If you have to dispose of it, it's hazmat, if it disappears the company doesn't have to deal with it.

arthur.uscg
02-08-2011, 17:54
you might want to run it through a fuel / water separator before using it. I am guessing you are getting the "bottom" of the barrel, and the extra from when they pull fuel for testing.

ki0eh
02-08-2011, 19:16
If you heat your home with oil just dump that old Coleman fuel in the tank. Mixed with a 100 or so gallons of home heating oil it will burn just fine.

I don't think I want to try that with the anthracite we use here! :eek:

DVNDSN
02-08-2011, 23:55
Okay, I'm starting to understand how the stove works. It seems pretty reliable, and I think I will like it. As for the jet fuel, I work at an airport. We sump our tanks on the trucks and the fuel farm daily. The good stuff from the sump in the farm goes into the truck, the bad stuff goes into a locked container that only employees have access to. There's always a little "good" stuff in with the "bad" stuff (particulates). So there is a lot of good jet fuel in there. I have no doubt my boss would let me dip my bottle in there and get some jet fuel. All of our fuel comes with prist.