PDA

View Full Version : First time AT hike - Bears!!!!!

garyaine
02-08-2011, 12:20
Folks,

I am an experienced hiker but, as I am based in Ireland and hike mainly in Europe, I rarely encounter bears (or any large mamals!). Truly want to section hike the AT over the next 5/10 years but am very very nervous of bears. Any advice? (and yes - I accept I am a pansy who should probably stay at home - but the urge to hike is just outweighing the fear!). Any help would help!! I already know the odds are in my favour but fear is fear!! Thanks! Gary.

Sly
02-08-2011, 12:22
Get over your fears....

Seeing a bear in the wild is by far one of the most exhilarating experiences you can have while hiking.

Sassafras Lass
02-08-2011, 12:27
Do you have any zoos that contain black bears? Perhaps you could go visit them and study them - their size, their habits, how they move, and think about how you would fight back if ***** hit the fan and a bear attacked you.

We're not saying don't be cautious while on the trail. But do realize that the majority of wildlife is more scared of you than you are of it, and that attacks are very, very rare, and often can be circumvented with quick thinking and care.

Are you thru-hiking this year? Be glad to see you if you are - I know we have an Aussie gentleman as well as someone from Germany - from where in Ireland do you hail?

DrRichardCranium
02-08-2011, 12:30
The problem with bears is that they run away before you can get your camera out.

Sassafras Lass
02-08-2011, 12:31
See you're from Wexford - I've been to Dublin, Limerick, Cork, technically Belfast (on the dock), some little 14th century monastery, and then Shannon airport, but I've never been out your way. I imagine it's just as gorgeous as everywhere else :)

Ontiora
02-08-2011, 12:36
Bring some pepper spray...

asciibaron
02-08-2011, 12:40
Bring some pepper spray...

ditto on this - they like seasoned food. :cool:

they are very timid and won't bother you.

SouthMark
02-08-2011, 12:45
Check out the bear facts at:

http://www.bear.org/website/

They have been studying bears in the wild for many years and dispel many myths about black bears. Only in the movies are bears something to fear.

DVNDSN
02-08-2011, 12:47
I wouldn't worry about them. GSMNP website says if you see a bear, back away slowly, don't turn your back, and don't run. If the bear scrapes the ground, snarls, and approaches you as your backing away, stand your ground, make loud noises, banging sticks, make yourself look as big as possible (stand on something). According to me: A lot of hikers on this site just advise you to not worry about them. If you're not comfortable with that, buy a bear bell or bear spray. Talk loudly to yourself too (free alternative).

Sickmont
02-08-2011, 12:50
I've never seen one in real life but i "heard" that you should never make eye contact with one thats getting aggresive with you. Any truth to this?

hikerboy57
02-08-2011, 12:51
ditto on this - they like seasoned food. :cool:

they are very timid and won't bother you.
Bring a Bowie Knife if the pepper spray is not to their liking

garyaine
02-08-2011, 13:14
Thanks F-STOP. Sensible suggestion. We live in Wexford (around 60 miles south of the capital Dublin. Planning first section hike for 2012.

bigcranky
02-08-2011, 13:17
I've had the good luck to see several bears on the AT. In every case, they either totally ignored me, or immediately ran away. One ran about 30 feet and stopped to look back at us, clearly very curious and just as clearly non-threatening (you can read a bear's body language.)

Bottom line: don't worry about it. But don't smear yourself in bacon grease either.

JEBjr
02-08-2011, 13:21
Bears are beautiful creatures. But I guess we all have fears. Snakes bother me. It isn't a rational fear. I blame a lot of it on that CBS annual cartoon Rikki Tikki Tavi that had the cobras in it as villians. And possibly some Sunday school lessons as a small child involving serphants or snakes as the villia

SouthMark
02-08-2011, 13:37
As I said a few posts back, the media and entertainment industry make bears meaner and more dangerous than they are. Bears DO NOT GROWL but movie makes dub in wolf growls to create more intense fear in the scene(s).

RevLee
02-08-2011, 14:20
Don't fret about the bears, I didn't see my first one on the trail until New Jersey. The mice are the creatures you really need to worry about. ;)

sixguns01
02-08-2011, 14:54
Don't fret about the bears, I didn't see my first one on the trail until New Jersey. The mice are the creatures you really need to worry about. ;)

MICE REALLY BAD!!!

I live in NJ and Hike/backpack here often and bears are everywhere. Never had a problem on the trail. They see you, you see them, they go other way! That's the usual interaction. Keep food in a bag up in a tree at night and no big deal. I've met people who have never used a bear bag and no issue to date (just wait though).

My friend packs with bear spray. Not usable on the trail when it would take too long to get out and release the safety and spray. He would be down by then. He understands that. He likes to keep it with him in camp and at night. His real fear.

To each their own!

sixguns01
02-08-2011, 15:03
Wasn't joking about the Mice!! They really do suck! My first backpacking trip was on the AT in NJ right past the Delaware Water Gap. They had Bear boxes to keep your food in. The old red ones at the Backpacker Site that were kept on the floor. I'm so smart, left food in there. HA-bugger off bears. Next morning- No bears and no food. Damn Mice came through the rust hole on the bottom and destroyed my food supply. Gotta love mother nature.
Sorry for the rant

Blissful
02-08-2011, 15:40
I've only seen one per long distance hike; And it was minding its own business.

rrsmith
02-08-2011, 15:52
I have seen bears and they run away at the slightest noise. I am more worried about snakes, they don't run away. Just use common sense and hang your food !

scope
02-08-2011, 16:19
In the 7 years I've been hiking the AT in Ga and southern NC, I've yet to see a bear. I've apparently come close according to hikers I've passed. Always same story, bear was eating berries or something, looked up and saw hiker, took off.

So, in order to change my fortunes, I'm bringing raw bacon on my next trip, and instead of having it for breakfast, I'll cook it up for dinner and leave my pot out at night, uncleaned. Heck, maybe I'll just sleep with it in my tent.

I don't know what else to do, just a trail full of stinky hikers right now as far as I'm concerned (hmmm, no wonder there's no bears). Except for the grouse, now those things will give you a heart attack!

vamelungeon
02-08-2011, 16:23
I don't know of any actual "hiker" that has ever been killed by a black bear on the AT.

Mrs Baggins
02-08-2011, 16:25
You're from Ireland. If I were you I'd worry less about bears and a lot more about snakes! Since you don't have them, how much real education do you ever get about them? Find some place where you can get a really good close look at snakes. Live ones. The kind you'll see here - various rattlesnakes, coral snakes, copperheads, for starters. They're the baddies. Learn to tell the difference between those and the ones that aren't poisonous. You will absolutely see snakes.

Bear Cables
02-08-2011, 17:36

They have been studying bears in the wild for many years and dispel many myths about black bears. Only in the movies are bears something to fear.

Awesome website. Their videos and articles cured me of my bear fears. Still have all the respect for them and will always use proper bear safety techniques but now I hope to see them in the wild.

envirodiver
02-08-2011, 17:39
You're from Ireland. If I were you I'd worry less about bears and a lot more about snakes! Since you don't have them, how much real education do you ever get about them? Find some place where you can get a really good close look at snakes. Live ones. The kind you'll see here - various rattlesnakes, coral snakes, copperheads, for starters. They're the baddies. Learn to tell the difference between those and the ones that aren't poisonous. You will absolutely see snakes.

Don't really need to worry about coral snakes on the AT.

Speakeasy TN
02-08-2011, 18:16

And you'd have to put your little finger in his mouth to get bit! Only dangerous if you're a lizard.

I might even take exception to "various rattlesnakes" as long as we're at it. You should only see timber rattlers on the trail. I suppose a Carolina Pygmy is possible, but that's a stretch.

Mrs Baggins
02-08-2011, 18:59

Nonetheless, if he chooses to do some traveling around the country while he's here and gets out into other areas he should know.....

Mrs Baggins
02-08-2011, 19:03
And you'd have to put your little finger in his mouth to get bit! Only dangerous if you're a lizard.

I might even take exception to "various rattlesnakes" as long as we're at it. You should only see timber rattlers on the trail. I suppose a Carolina Pygmy is possible, but that's a stretch.

Again, he may stay awhile and see more of the country. Every single time we've day hiked and backpacked on the AT and Tuscarora Trail in PA we've run into rattlers. Copperheads nest in fire pits and under shelters.

Famous last words "You don't need to worry about no poisonous snakes." :eek:

Cookerhiker
02-08-2011, 19:16
..... Every single time we've day hiked and backpacked on the AT and Tuscarora Trail in PA we've run into rattlers. Copperheads nest in fire pits and under shelters. ....

I believe you - we know they're out there.

And yet, I've hiked the entire AT, done a lot of additional AT hiking in SNP where I was out in snake season working on my maintenance section and I've never seen a rattlesnake on the AT. Heck, I even hiked the rocky areas of PA in snake season and didn't see one. Seen 2 copperheads on the AT in 40 years of hiking.

Saw a big rattler last year on the Allegheny Trail - coiled right on the edge of the trail with his head up, his tail up, and rattling like crazy.

envirodiver
02-08-2011, 20:30
Nonetheless, if he chooses to do some traveling around the country while he's here and gets out into other areas he should know.....

He's talking about hiking the AT not going to Florida. Your advice was related to AT hiking. Get it right.

envirodiver
02-08-2011, 20:37
Again, he may stay awhile and see more of the country. Every single time we've day hiked and backpacked on the AT and Tuscarora Trail in PA we've run into rattlers. Copperheads nest in fire pits and under shelters.

Famous last words "You don't need to worry about no poisonous snakes." :eek:

No need to over scare people regarding hiking. Probably will see timber rattlers and copperheads. Keep an eye out don't sit or put hands down wher you don't look.

You've seen rattlers every single time you hike on the AT? I would recommend he not hike with you cause you are a snake magnet.

Mrs Baggins
02-08-2011, 20:42
No need to over scare people regarding hiking. Probably will see timber rattlers and copperheads. Keep an eye out don't sit or put hands down wher you don't look.

You've seen rattlers every single time you hike on the AT? I would recommend he not hike with you cause you are a snake magnet.

I said "the AT in PA" Don't put words in my mouth.

envirodiver
02-08-2011, 20:46
I said "the AT in PA" Don't put words in my mouth.

Wouldn't think of putting anything in your mouth. However, I still doubt your statement and think it is very over reactive. Even if your just went from hiking the AT to hiking the AT in PA.

kanga
02-08-2011, 20:53
baggins, you are a fear-mongerer. it is amazing to me that you even step out of your house. you should work for fox news.

Espero
02-08-2011, 20:59
Always hike with a partner who runs slower than you.

envirodiver
02-08-2011, 21:01
Always hike with a partner who runs slower than you.

Zactly. Excellent bear strategy.

Blissful
02-08-2011, 21:08
I believe you - we know they're out there.

And yet, I've hiked the entire AT, done a lot of additional AT hiking in SNP where I was out in snake season working on my maintenance section and I've never seen a rattlesnake on the AT.

Boy you are lucky.

I have seen many more rattlers than ever a bear on the AT. Check out my photo gallery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21931&catid=member&imageuser=6008) in the animal section of a doozy of one near Caledonia in PA.

I saw a huge rattler on - of all trails in SNP - Big Devil Stairs

gungho
02-08-2011, 21:12
If i was that close to the ground, i would probably worry more about snakes too

johnnybgood
02-08-2011, 21:23
Only had only 1 close encounter with a poisonous snake and it wasn't nowhere near the AT.
It was at a county park in suburbia. My wife still has a faint impression of the bites marks on her ankle.

The only rattler I've come up on was while hiking at Dolly Sods Wilderness in W.Va.

Blissful
02-08-2011, 21:32
baggins, you are a fear-mongerer. it is amazing to me that you even step out of your house. you should work for fox news.

Maybe she doesn't like snakes - :-? ??

Why is this an issue? Some dislike spiders. Others snakes. Some heights (I know a young guy thruing this past year who couldn't stand heights and had to get off in the Whites.) The original poster obviously isn't partial to bears. My hubby had a hard time for a while with closed-in spaces, which is why he likes to hammock.

Snakes are out there for sure. One does need to be aware of it and all things wild. I'm sure that's what she meant. And I agree.

(And I for one LOVE Fox News. It has a fearless animal in its name after all) :banana

kanga
02-08-2011, 21:35

Why is this an issue? Some dislike spiders. Others snakes. Some heights (I know a young guy thruing this past year who couldn't stand heights and had to get off in the Whites.) The original poster obviously isn't partial to bears. My hubby had a hard time for a while with closed-in spaces, which is why he likes to hammock.

Snakes are out there for sure. One does need to be aware of it and all things wild. I'm sure that's what she meant. And I agree.

(And I for one LOVE Fox News. It has a fearless animal in its name after all) :banana
every post she has ever made was either reporting some horrible occurrance or telling us what we should be afraid of. it's always negativity about the trail.

Sly
02-08-2011, 21:44

We should all work at FoxNews to show off our legs!

envirodiver
02-08-2011, 21:45

It just seems irresponsible, that when someone from outside the CONUS asks about bears, which we all know are something that you deal with, but at the same time not something to walk in fear of. That the response they get is one that seems as if there are snakes all over the place and you should be afraid.

You are likely to come across any organism that lives in the AT corridor during a hike. That includes. snakes, skunks, possums, raccoons, bears, etc. But it's not something to be scared of, it's something to be savored. They are all beautiful when viewed at a safe distance, they are all wild and dangerous if you mess with them.

Follow good principles of how to deal with these things.

Yet it's very irresponsible to scare unknowing people with your won fears.

earlyriser26
02-08-2011, 21:45
Over the last 70 years very few people have been killed by bears in the eastern united states. I can't remember the website, but one is out there listing all bear deaths by type, state, and year. As I recall only 3 people have been killed in the eastern states over that period. If you are worried about death on the trail, the major causes are heart attacks, falls, heat/cold exposure, lighting and suicide. I saw 5 bears in the SNP (virginia) on a 3 day hike last spring. Nothing to worry about. I don't that there has ever been a case of a AT hiker being killed.

JERMM
02-08-2011, 22:33
snakes, bears, snakes, spiders, snakes, skunks, snakes, possums, snakes, raccoons, snakes, did i say snakes if not snakes, i doubt i'll ever set foot on the AT again:eek:

Cookerhiker
02-08-2011, 23:27
I don't perceive Mrs. B as being overly negative about the trail After all, she does lead those Hiker Dames once a month or so. And seeing rattlers on every hike in PA doesn't keep her from going out and hiking again.

Remember the context: the OP is from Ireland where there are no snakes so it's good he's at least aware and mindful. I don't detect any fearful tone discouraging him from coming and doing his hike.

swamp dawg
02-09-2011, 00:15
Last year in April, we were hiking up from Fontana to Birch Spring Gap. Wearrived at the campsite and noticed a group of hikers clustred together making a lot of noise. There were three bears hangingaronud the campsite and were not bothered by the noise. I was use to bears running away when humans approached but these bears did not read the book on bear behavior. We hung all our gear and went about our normal task. The bears just seen to graze around on different plants around the camp. I will admit it was a bit unnerving around camp. Although it was different, the animals were starkley beautiful yet looked powerful. I did not sleep all that well but the bears seemed to enjoy our company and hung around into the night. Waterfall was glad they were gone when she peeked out of her tent in the morning. She said in Canada bears that hung aroud a campsite would be removed or..... swamp dawg

fredmugs
02-09-2011, 09:52
My first bear encounter was in Shenandoah Ntnl Park (SNP). I had spent the night at the Gravel Springs Hut and hit the trail first thing in the morning. About 20 minutes into my hike I noticed a bear about 30 feet up in a tree. My first thought was "Cool - there's a bear." My second thought was "Great - bears climb up trees when they're scared." Just as that thought was processing the bear came down the tree in about 2 seconds and stood basically 10 yards from the trail where I needed to pass. My third thought was "Oh @$#^!"

I stopped and stared at the bear. After 10 or 20 seconds the bear took a few steps away from me and stopped. I took a few steps and stopped. Bear did the same. I followed suit. Once the bear was maybe 50 yards away I just kept going.

Since that encounter I have seen 12 others bears on the AT - all of them running away from me as fast as they could possibly go.

Advice: In addition to pepper spray bring a loud whistle and keep it around your neck.

I suggest hiking in SNP first. Odds are you will see a bear and it will run away from you very quickly. You'll get the adrenaline rush and then you'll realize the bears are way more afraid of you than you are of them.

TheTwanger
02-10-2011, 18:54

This site did wonders for my irrational bear fear... :)