PDA

View Full Version : fleece sleepwear

titanium_hiker
01-03-2005, 11:57
Ok: I want to make a multipiece camping pyjamaset. It will include
(all fleece)
"tank top", shorts, sleeves, legs, boots, mittens, hood.
connected with small zippers.
the top part (tank) and the bottom part(shorts) will be able to be connected together with two largish buttons. (keep those drafties out)

so, to avoid confusion:
if it's hot I can wear the tank and shorts. if it's colder I can zip on the sleeves and legs. Then as the temperature drops I can add boots(more like socks) hood and mittens.

I would add a nonslip durable bottom to the boots so I can wear them as camp shoes. extra non worn parts can be used as pillow

what do you think? is it a good idea? if I put up instructions on a website would you make one? any suggestions?

titanium_hiker

titanium_hiker
01-03-2005, 12:13
oh, except for the sleeves and legs each piece of the set should be able to be worn separatly.

titanium

Youngblood
01-03-2005, 12:16
Sounds like a lot of zippers. Might want to work out something simplier?

Footslogger
01-03-2005, 12:28
Hmmmm ...why not make it a full length one-piece with footies and a big zipper running from the crotch to the neck. Use the lightweight micro-fleece. Bet that would be toasty.

Just a thought.

'Slogger
AT 2003

DebW
01-03-2005, 14:33
Seems like zippers would be uncomfortable to sleep in, especially if you ended up laying on one. And why bring clothes that you plan to only sleep in? Regular long johns might have more uses. For bootie soles, try Tough Tek (http://www.seattlefabrics.com/tough.html).

grrickar
01-03-2005, 19:19
Another thought: I purchased a lightweight fleece top and pant, that I can wear with or without thermal underwear, and they are tight-fitting so I can comfortably wear them in place of thermals if I want to, under my convertable pants. The legs have zips for easy on and off with boots. The pair were $40 regularly priced at Sports Authority. The brand was Alpine Design best I recall.

titanium_hiker
01-03-2005, 21:13
it is complicated. the zip issue would not be that big as I would overlap the fleece under the zip. I'm planning on making a set of pants (non zip off) and maybe a longsleeve top first, then maybe work on the other stuff

the reason I wanted it to be 'customizable' is because of the variety of temperatures I would be facing.

oh, and yes it would be to sleep in, but also my emergency backup instead of heavier clothing. what do you think?

titanium_hiker

IdahoDavid
01-05-2005, 15:07
Just a thought -- If you have a fleece rectangle - a comforter or small blanket size -- how about making a poncho type arrangment with a hood at the center and put snaps around three edges of it. You could use it as a bag liner instead of pyjamas, as additional insulation under rain gear or just something warm to wrap up in on a cool evening. Seems like that might be more versatile than the pyjama idea.

titanium_hiker
01-05-2005, 16:06
ooohh... cool idea...
I'll have to think about it!

thanks

titanium

grrickar
01-05-2005, 19:43
OR - instead of snaps sew velcro around it.

titanium_hiker
01-06-2005, 07:54
Does anyone have any tips for sewing a hood like thing? (re poncho idea)

thanks
=titanium

LIhikers
02-01-2005, 09:05
Start with the top and shorts you want to sleep in and then take a trip to your local bicycle shop. Cyclists use seperate arm and leg warmers. Use some velcro to hold them to your shorts and top. Now add a warm hat, gloves and socks. If it's reallllllllllly cold a neck gaiter would help too.

titanium_hiker
02-01-2005, 22:10
the reason why sleeping bags have a hole in the bottom: not for venting, no, its so you can wear it. :)

problem solved.

titanium_hiker

The Hammocker
02-13-2005, 20:06
what about your arms?

IdahoDavid
02-14-2005, 12:44
I will defend to the death your right to bare arms.

The Hammocker
02-14-2005, 19:39
that to. Power to the druken idiots with shotguns!:bse

Frosty
02-14-2005, 19:52
it is complicated. the zip issue would not be that big as I would overlap the fleece under the zip. I'm planning on making a set of pants (non zip off) and maybe a longsleeve top first, then maybe work on the other stuff

the reason I wanted it to be 'customizable' is because of the variety of temperatures I would be facing. Assuning you are serious here and not just goofing, socks, gloves and longjohns are pretty customizable. You don't need zippers to keep the socks on the pants and add no weight as you are likely to pack an extra pair of socks anyway.

The Hammocker
02-15-2005, 19:33
Assuning you are serious here and not just goofing, socks, gloves and longjohns are pretty customizable. You don't need zippers to keep the socks on the pants and add no weight as you are likely to pack an extra pair of socks anyway.At least we hope:jump

titanium_hiker
03-01-2005, 15:40
Yeah I was being serious, but I have realized that it was the not ultralight in me wanting to make it so complicated.

I made a fleece poncho for warmth and under hammock insulation; WARM but BULKY so I'll have to make a compression stuff sack.
I plan to make simple fleece bottoms and a top with removable arms for sleeping in.

titanium_geek