PDA

View Full Version : ULA Chafe

ecohen
02-08-2011, 14:18
I just purchased a ULA Catalyst and took it on a 3 day prep trip for my 2011 thru-hike. I loved almost everything about it. The only downfall was that the mesh liner on the shoulder straps gave me chafe. Has anyone else experienced that problem? Suggestions for fixing that problem???

nawlunz
02-08-2011, 21:34
I just purchased a ULA Catalyst and took it on a 3 day prep trip for my 2011 thru-hike. I loved almost everything about it. The only downfall was that the mesh liner on the shoulder straps gave me chafe. Has anyone else experienced that problem? Suggestions for fixing that problem???

satisfied with the hip belt?

stranger
02-17-2011, 21:00
ULA makes a pretty badly cut shoulder strap in my extensive experience with packs. I wrote a review of the Circuit on here a while back and made this observation quite clear.

They have recently introduced a new cut in response to this fact, the unfortunate fact remains however that the straps are not interchangable, so new straps either means pack surgery or a new pack.

Saying that, I have always found ULA to have above average customer service, so putting in a call to them might prove very useful.

I don't know anything that would prevent chaffing, just how to minimize it. I'm assuming if you are chaffing you are a woman (not generally an issue for men in the shoulder area), if so, use your sternum strap in the highest position and pull it relatively snug, avoid tank tops and wear tight, sleeved, synthetic clothing, and try to keep the area clean if possible. Also, applying a anti-chaf cream before bed can work miracles.

This assumes you are putting the pack on correctly, most chaffing issues with pack occur when the main straps are not fitting the body correctly, meaning there are gaps due to stabilizer straps being left taught, with the user only loosening the hipbelt and shoulder straps. A pack needs to be 'retied' each time it's put on, like shoes. If you are leaving straps fixed in places, the pack will be greately compromised.

Final note about pack application, it's completely counter intuative, most people do the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

Hope this helps