PDA

View Full Version : Boots vs Shoes

ecohen
02-08-2011, 14:23
I recently purchased a pair of Solomon Wings Sky GTX boots for my 2011 thru-hike. I have been breaking them in on my daily walks with no issues. Then last weekend I took them on a 3 day prep trip and got SEVERAL blisters. Is this all part of the break-in process or is it time to ditch the boots in exchange for some light hiking shoes or trail running shoes?

maybe clem
02-08-2011, 14:28
I'd go for trail runners. Boots really aren't a necessity on the A.T., more a personal preference. Thicker outer socks, sock liners and spraying deodorant on your feet might help prevent blisters. I had one blister on my entire thruhike.

Buffalo Skipper
02-08-2011, 14:31
I have always heard of recomended trail runners. Hope this is not taking this off topic if I ask which ones are recomended.

sixguns01
02-08-2011, 14:36
I recently purchased a pair of Solomon Wings Sky GTX boots for my 2011 thru-hike. I have been breaking them in on my daily walks with no issues. Then last weekend I took them on a 3 day prep trip and got SEVERAL blisters. Is this all part of the break-in process or is it time to ditch the boots in exchange for some light hiking shoes or trail running shoes?

How warm was it when you went on the 3 day prep hike? I've had issues with Gore-Tex not allowing the moisture out of the shoe which helps the blisters along.

I use the same shoes as you, but without the GTX. I'd rather have wet feet that will dry out then wet all the time. My feet feel much better. I think I also broke mine in a bit more before my first multi-day with them. I didn't get blisters.

Try different socks as well. Not a liner guy since I switch to Cross Trainers and Trail Runners. Wigwam Cool-Lite Pro socks work great to keep it dry and blister free. My preference may not be yours but worked for me.

leaftye
02-08-2011, 17:18
The same thing happens when I use my goretex boots. I like my boots, but I find that I have to stop once an hour to take them off to cool and dry out my feet. If I don't, I'll get blisters.

Spokes
02-08-2011, 18:58
Boots or trail runners, everyones feet are different. Trick is finding what works for you. You will.

Prevention works second only to properly fitted footwear.

Don't laugh, here's what I did pre-2009 thru hike ....I never got one blister!

A couple weeks out from your hike soak your feet in a strong tea solution twice a day for 15-20 minutes. Get cheap Dollar Store Family Size tea bags mixed say 4 bags per gallon. The tannic acid in the tea acts as an astringent to toughen your feet. It's not an old wives tale, promise. See this article (http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/291?page=1) in Podiatry Today.

During your hike rub "Body Glide" on your feet each morning before you hike. Marathoners use it and the stuff works wonders to prevent chaffing.

restless
02-08-2011, 19:20
Make sure that your boots are properly fit as well. Keep in mind, that during a long hike, your feet will swell and on a thru hike can grow as much as a size or more. Unlaced , and with your knees bent at about 45 degrees, you should be able to get a finger or so behind your heel and the heel cup of the boot. If the boots are too tight, it is a surefire recipe for foot problems. I use heavyweight boots due strictly to durability, although as most people on here have stated, a light weight trail runner works better, if not best, for most.

Jim Adams
02-09-2011, 15:40
You may need to find the make and sometimes even the model of boot or shoe that works with your individual foot shape. All boots and shoes are lightly different from each other and on a day to day use doesn't matter that much but when you are wearing the same ones for miles a day, day after day the slightest thing in a poor design FOR YOUR FOOT makes problems.
I have tried alot of different companies, shapes and sizes over the years and have found that you need to stick to a companies footwear that works for YOUR foot shape.
I have found over the years that I can wear just about any shoe / boot from Solomon or Vasque and will not get blisters however every other brand that I have tried has failed in some way...some with just 1 blister, others with blisters on blisters.
I think that this is the most important factor....a company's product that fits YOUR foot shape.
Buy what will work for you OR you could buy the latest fashion trend and treat wounds the whole way...it's up to you.
FIND YOUR COMPANY!

geek

Rambler1
02-09-2011, 15:57
Boot or shoes..depends on how your feet feel in them.

I'd go see a foot doctor and get custom insoles. Feet blister when they are hot and have friction. Friction is caused by your foot moving around in you shoe. Most folks do not have off the shelf feet, so they don't get good support. I think this is why you hear so many people with back and knee problems as they age. They never had proper foot support.

I use to have blisters and sore feet. After getting custom made insoles, no more. I can walk 15-20mi with no pain day after day. If the feet get proper support, you'll have less pain ( foot and knee) and less blisters.

I got the custom made ones - the dr took a form of each foot with plaster. I've heard of folks not having good success with the heat and step on type.

Good luck...feet problems are not fun...

Jumpboots
02-26-2011, 00:30
Depends what you want there is always trade off.

I like backpacking boots such as asolo sasslong's.

Yes they might be on the heavy side, yes they might be kinda hot....you will always have a trade off with foot wear. But my feet are hardened veterans with thick calases and they have everything id want in a boot.

What you got to understand is Backpacking boots were MADE for hiking with weight on your back. Trail runners were not designed to carry a 200+ person long distances threw the woods. Even most hikin boots were not designed for carrying heavy loads. Thats one of the reasons you see all the pics around here with thu-hikers with destroyed trail runners.

Joker4ink
03-06-2011, 23:24
I'm not sure if the blisters are part of the break in process but I found something that works very well to prevent blisters. My pinky toe, specifically would ALWAYS blister since it would slide slightly under/rub my inner toe. I ended up trying Glide Anti-Chafe (the little deodorant looking stick thing) and I haven't had a blister since. It acts as a lubricant but does dry out like vasoline does. I also went with the cheapest REI sock liners and haven't looked back. Good luck.

mweinstone
03-07-2011, 22:21
a tie?............

TRAUMAhead
10-26-2011, 03:58
Never had any blisters wearing shoes/boots, knock on wood, gotten blisters wearing sandals though. Went from low top hikers to hiking boots and now very recently trail runners. Other than some ankle pain, my feet have been fine with the hikers/boots. With the trail runners, got my first hot spot, but didn't notice it 'till the day after wearing sandals. My big toes definitely got beat up more on my first hike with them too.

Footwear consist of Asolo Fugitive GTX (wide) and Inov-8 295 Roclites. 295s fit perfect, still searching for a better boot.

Papa D
10-26-2011, 07:52
Trail Runners:
This is my favorite shoe and the one I would recommend to thru-hikers with confidence - LaSportiva is a growing company - I would expect that people will see more of their products on backpackers and runners soon - I hope that this doesn't hurt their quality which is presently excellent:

www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/hikingbackpacking/fc-eco-2.0-gtx

chiefduffy
10-26-2011, 16:20
Were you carrying weight on your daily walks? Makes a huge difference.

Tinker
10-26-2011, 22:46
Shoes (or trail runners). Breathable nylon - dries faster than solid leather. No waterproof-not-really-breathable membrane. They keep the water both out and in. It isn't magic, and your feet don't come equipped with sump pumps (though the pumping action of the foot expanding in the boot with each step helps).
Most folks hike with shorts most of the time in warm weather. No matter what you wear on your feet, water will run down your legs and into your socks - wet feet - blisters. On hot days - sweat = wet feet - blisters. So, breathable shoes or trail runners.

Before considering brand, construction, or features, always make fit your first priority. Even if the shoe proves less durable, you won't have as much down time on a long trip (Thruhike, maybe?) replacing shoes as you will if you constantly have to doctor your feet (especially if infection sets in).
Consider what type of socks you are wearing, too. Anything that holds lots of moisture and dries slow will promote blisters. I've found that socks with a high percentage of Merino wool with a bit of nylon in high wear areas and a bit of spandex for stretch and fit are great. I don't wear double socks, because the inner sock tends to slide around in the outer one, causing friction and heat.
Some people swear by liners under their expensive socks. Whatever works, but it seems such a shame to isolate your feet from nice, soft, Marino wool.

Grampie
10-27-2011, 11:17
On a thru-hike your feet will take a beating. Sure, you might get some blisters. Just be prepaired to deal with them. I would recommend that you walk bearfoot as much as posiable before you start your thru. This will help tuffen up your feet.