PDA

View Full Version : Sections of the AT Taken for Granted

Ontiora
02-08-2011, 15:36
So, in your opinion what are the best sections of the AT that are typically taken for granted? Personally, I think the Hudson Highlands and parts of CT are overlooked. A lot of people I know think that since there aren't any towering mountains here like in NH or NC there's not much special about these places. Any other areas you guys consider important, but the majority of people fail to notice?

Sickmont
02-08-2011, 15:53
I always hear about big sections of VA as being "mind numbing" and "boring". I've never been on the AT in VA at all, but i just cant see any part of a trail being "boring" or "mind numbing" at all.

Croft
02-08-2011, 16:09
Every state has its own uniqueness, and personally I loved Virginia--but then I loved something about every state I went through. I made a list as I hiked the trail last year of all the places I'd like to come back and see again--there's more than 70 places on my list. Sounds like another thru-hike might be in the cards. lol

Ender
02-08-2011, 16:18
So, in your opinion what are the best sections of the AT that are typically taken for granted? Personally, I think the Hudson Highlands and parts of CT are overlooked. A lot of people I know think that since there aren't any towering mountains here like in NH or NC there's not much special about these places. Any other areas you guys consider important, but the majority of people fail to notice?

I totally agree about CT. Not only in how nice it was, but also how hard it was. CT really beat me up. It never goes up that high, but for most of it the trail never really flattens out at all... just goes up and down and up and down. And then, just when you've had enough, you're treated to 5 flat miles walking along a river. Wonderful.

Kerosene
02-08-2011, 16:50
I made a list as I hiked the trail last year of all the places I'd like to come back and see again--there's more than 70 places on my list.How about sharing that list with us?

Cookerhiker
02-08-2011, 17:17
Like other posters, my first thought was also Virginia, specifically the portion west of I-81. This 180 miles has a more remote feel with only one Trail town (Pearisburg) and lots of nice views and points of interest. Examples: Chestnut Knob, Angels Rest, Rice Field Shelter, Wind Rock, Keffer Oak, Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob. It's a nice blend of challenge interspersed with easier portions. Typically you might hike a 1,000-1,500' ascent but then walk along a ridgeline for a few or many miles, not constant up and down like GA, NY west of the Hudson, and much of CT.

I've had good memories & experiences of all my hiking here, some of which was in the dead of winter in sometimes-deep snow.

johnnybgood
02-08-2011, 17:45
The rollercoaster in Virginia is often overlooked because of all the cursing hikers do for all the PUD's in that stretch. :D

Johnny Thunder
02-08-2011, 19:24
southern new jersey.

10-K
02-08-2011, 19:29
How I'm feeling dictates what I take for granted. If I'm in Zombie Hiker Mode and feel like screaming I'm so bored with walking then I could be hiking through Eden and miss it.

If I'm feeling one with nature the most ordinary section of trail can look beautiful to me.

Driver8
02-08-2011, 19:55
Every state has its own uniqueness, and personally I loved Virginia--but then I loved something about every state I went through. I made a list as I hiked the trail last year of all the places I'd like to come back and see again--there's more than 70 places on my list. Sounds like another thru-hike might be in the cards. lol

Loved your journal, Croft - really well written, colorful and engaging. Did you get a chance to do the parts of PA you jumped past?

Diatribe
02-08-2011, 20:42
I always hear about big sections of VA as being "mind numbing" and "boring". I've never been on the AT in VA at all, but i just cant see any part of a trail being "boring" or "mind numbing" at all.

I can understand why people feel that way when thru hiking VA--it's 535 miles--of VA. It sounds monotonous: but contraire, kind sir! VA is full of wonderful places--from the stunning scenery & beauty of the highlands and Mt Rodgers area, to the dark hollows, ice cold springs, the stunning views afforded every three miles (so it seems), the tame black bear that still runs when it hears you.
History, cow pastures, fence stiles, sheepish tourists on BRP/SNP, deep dark green woods, green tunnels (which have never offended me), miniscule electric orange Salamanders you come across on trail, southern hospitality at it's finest (as we are the northern most Southern state--the most refined & classy), all the trail magic partaken by the best Virginian Trail Angels, and most of all: the best trail community I've had the pleasure of knowing.

I've had the opportunity to thru hike all of my home state--and every step I took was filed with excitement, content, & love in knowing that home was all around me!!!

Diatribe
02-08-2011, 20:47
Like other posters, my first thought was also Virginia, specifically the portion west of I-81 .... I've had good memories & experiences of all my hiking here, some of which was in the dead of winter in sometimes-deep snow.

Well said, Cookerhiker! There is something wonderful in those woods out there I cannot place my finger on.

And I often hiked the section you maintained in central SNP...I always wanted to say THANK YOU for keeping it so lovely!:D

How is life in KY?

Cookerhiker
02-08-2011, 23:12
Well thank you! I miss it! Still having SNP withdrawl pains.

KY: nice community in historic Lexington, close to Daniel Boone NF, the Sheltowee Trace, Red River Gorge, home is walking distance to independent shops & cafes & UK ..............but too far from the AT. Closest point is Davenport Gap, 4 hours drive.

fredmugs
02-09-2011, 10:11
I don't take any of it for granted but I do agree that there are stretches like in CT that are tougher than they appear. I realize tough is a relative term and lots of sections are easier or tougher based on when you hike them.

Every year I take my girls on the trail somewhere just for short day hikes. I would never take them to PA - not because of the rocks but because it's like once you get up on that ridge you keep seeing the same farm day after day after day. It all looks alike after awhile.

PeterPan85
02-09-2011, 10:51
southern new jersey.

Southern NJ???

Ender
02-09-2011, 10:53
Southern NJ???

I dunno about southern Jersey, but the AT through northern Jersey was great.

Cookerhiker
02-09-2011, 11:50
Southern NJ???

I dunno about southern Jersey, but the AT through northern Jersey was great.

A couple of years ago there was a thread on this very subject. I guess those who characterize DWG as "southern" Jersey also believe Springer is southern Georgia.

Sickmont
02-09-2011, 11:56
Southern NJ???

Lebanon state forest was fun to hike and camp in. And, as a bonus, there was always cool tankers and fighters(Air Guard) from McGuire buzzing overhead as well.

Johnny Thunder
02-09-2011, 19:13
yeah....sorry...was typing with one hand and wanted to make a point. the first 30 or so miles to is it carver's gap? 20 miles south of the high point? that stuff's great.

My "northern New Jersey" is north of manhattan.

Johnny Thunder
02-09-2011, 19:14
culver's gap. geeze. my head isn't working yet. too early here.

Cookerhiker
02-09-2011, 19:31
Sharing Johnny T's hometown, I understand. I used to consider New Brunswick as south Jersey.

But DWG??? Nah.

LIhikers
02-09-2011, 20:10
Actually, the entire trail through NJ surprised me.
Before I started hiking I always thought of Jersey as I95, oil tanks, and Newark; boy was I wrong!

Croft
02-09-2011, 21:16
Loved your journal, Croft - really well written, colorful and engaging. Did you get a chance to do the parts of PA you jumped past?

I skipped Pennsylvania because of tears in the ligament of my right foot. I was dealing with a lot of pain and attempting the rocks would have probably been a hike ender. When I took my 235-mile "fast forward" jumping north from Boiling Springs to Vernon, NJ, my intention was to continue north to Katahdin, take a couple weeks off and then go back and do Pennsylvania. My only concern was doing that section at that time of year (Oct/Nov) solo so when my New England hiking partners, Cahoda and Wild Poodle, said they had skipped PA also and were planning to go back and do it, we had a plan. Then Cahoda broke her wrist on Bemis in Maine and her hike ended. I climbed Katahdin with Poodle but then she broke her foot on the climb back down. So the plan fell apart. But that's okay. I certainly can call myself a long distance hiker, but technically not a thru-hiker. It doesn't matter. I did the trail on my terms and I'm more than satisfied.

And what a great "excuse" (as if I need one) to go hiking this year. I'm heading up to Boiling Springs PA right after Trail Days to do that 235-mile section and then in September go up to Maine to see the Gulf Hagas Gorge, do the 30 mile stretch I skipped between Caratunk and Monson and meet my daughter at Baxter to do an "anniversary" climb of the Big K.

So that this long explanation isn't a total highjack of this thread, my list of 70 places on the AT that I'd go back and see again--well, it's the usual suspects and this post is way too long already. lol

Driver8
02-10-2011, 00:07
I skipped Pennsylvania because of tears in the ligament of my right foot. I was dealing with a lot of pain and attempting the rocks would have probably been a hike ender. When I took my 235-mile "fast forward" jumping north from Boiling Springs to Vernon, NJ, my intention was to continue north to Katahdin, take a couple weeks off and then go back and do Pennsylvania. My only concern was doing that section at that time of year (Oct/Nov) solo so when my New England hiking partners, Cahoda and Wild Poodle, said they had skipped PA also and were planning to go back and do it, we had a plan. Then Cahoda broke her wrist on Bemis in Maine and her hike ended. I climbed Katahdin with Poodle but then she broke her foot on the climb back down. So the plan fell apart. But that's okay. I certainly can call myself a long distance hiker, but technically not a thru-hiker. It doesn't matter. I did the trail on my terms and I'm more than satisfied.

And what a great "excuse" (as if I need one) to go hiking this year. I'm heading up to Boiling Springs PA right after Trail Days to do that 235-mile section and then in September go up to Maine to see the Gulf Hagas Gorge, do the 30 mile stretch I skipped between Caratunk and Monson and meet my daughter at Baxter to do an "anniversary" climb of the Big K.

So that this long explanation isn't a total highjack of this thread, my list of 70 places on the AT that I'd go back and see again--well, it's the usual suspects and this post is way too long already. lol

I really enjoyed your journal - especially became fond of you and the Poodle. Y'all were a great team! So sorry to hear she hurt herself on the way down K. That's terrible! Cahoda's injury was trauma enough! I hope they're both OK now, seemed like dear people.

You did a great job bringing us along with you in your hike journal - I didn't see it until right about the time you finished, but savored it cover to cover. Hope you enjoy hitting the trail this year and filling in the gaps. Let me know if you traipse through parts of Southern New England.

My best hiking buddy Jay and I intend to get up and do Mt. Washington this summer, as well as Killington and maybe some other Whites. 2010 was a fantastic year for me, a great year getting into hiking in a big way, with the weather smiling on us 9 times out of 10, many a superb, A+ view. Can't ask for that good this year, but hope it's full of fun and adventure.

Cheers,

Chris/Driver 8

fredmugs
02-10-2011, 07:10
Southern NJ???

From DWG to High Point (southern Jersey) is rocky and beyond that (northern Jersey) it pretty much isn't.

fredmugs
02-10-2011, 07:12
The rollercoaster in Virginia is often overlooked because of all the cursing hikers do for all the PUD's in that stretch. :D

I took for granted that this stretch was going to be hard. Especially after seeing the sign. What a joke!

Hoofit
02-10-2011, 09:25
Looks like you're itching to get back on the trail Croft - Boiling Springs was my last stop but I'll resume there next year and head for Maine.
Shame about Poodle but at least it was on the way down from Katahdin.!!
The AT was my first major hike and I am now totally addicted.

ekeverette
02-10-2011, 09:53
johnnybgood mentioned cursing hikers of pud's. what is a pud?

Ender
02-10-2011, 10:07

PUD = Pointless Up & Down

Cookerhiker
02-10-2011, 10:07

PUD = Pointless Up & Down.

The Virginia Roller Coaster is a lot of up & down but it's hardly the only such section on the AT. Most of Georgia, much of Connecticut, and New York west of the Hudson is also up & down.

Driver8
02-10-2011, 10:10

"Pointless Up(s) and Down(s)" = stretches of trail which go up and down for no good reason. A nearby route is available which would avoid the ups and downs, and the route actually taken doesn't afford anything useful - a scenic view, a water source, an historic spot, etc.

Blue Jay
02-10-2011, 21:05
"Pointless Up(s) and Down(s)" = stretches of trail which go up and down for no good reason. A nearby route is available which would avoid the ups and downs, and the route actually taken doesn't afford anything useful - a scenic view, a water source, an historic spot, etc.

I never liked that term due to the fact that the entire trail is essentially pointless ups and downs since you can fly the entire way in a few hours or drive in less than 2 days. There are plenty of reasons to hike the trail and every foot is extremely useful.