PDA

View Full Version : Trail Blog for upcoming '11 SOBO thru-hike

mhmeador
02-08-2011, 16:57
Hey everyone,

I amidst planning my SOBO thru-hike for 2011. I'm from Georgia. I'm flying to Maine on June 18th, hiking Katahdin on the 19th, and heading south on the 20th.

I started a trail blog (www.mountainsasmeans.com) about a month ago to document my pre-hike planning, the gearing up process, and, come June, the hike of the trail itself. I spent a few years in the outdoor industry, and I grew up in an environment that encouraged me to become an avid outdoor enthusiast. My knowledge of gear, outdoor skills, and staying comfortable in the backcountry is pretty sound.

If anyone has any questions as far as what gear to choose for a thru-hike, I have pretty much submerged myself in research over the past few months, and I'm pretty far along in the process, so I may be a good source of information. The blog (www.mountainsasmeans.com) that I mentioned has a gear and apparel section, and I am currently in the process of updating the blog for each piece of gear I have selected and why, including other options that I considered. I know that the search for information in planning for a thru-hike can be tedious, so I figured I would offer my blog as a resource for anyone who is searching for information comparing equipment or for anyone who is merely interested in following my planning process.

Thank you, and happy trails to everyone! Here is to a new adventure! Cheers!

Firefighter503
02-08-2011, 23:26
Matthew,

Good looking blog. Looking forward to reading it for the next 5 weeks or so before I head NOBO on my thru. Hope to meet ya somewhere along the way.

mhmeador
02-08-2011, 23:42
Matthew,

Good looking blog. Looking forward to reading it for the next 5 weeks or so before I head NOBO on my thru. Hope to meet ya somewhere along the way.
Thank you for checking it out! It has been a very fun process. I'm in Georgia and within about an hour of Springer. If you need a ride from the airport or to Springer or want a nice meal or place to stay before you begin your journey, you got it. If you're interested, message me. I'd love to help any way I can. Happy Trails!

freshpots
02-12-2011, 17:49
Hey, I'm also goin SOBO this year, but not starting until early July most likely. Maybe we will cross paths. good luck

thelightinside
02-12-2011, 21:41
"Mountains are the means,
The man is the end.
The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains,
But to improve the man."

Love, love, love this. Great writing all around!

tradewinds
04-21-2011, 20:07
Hey, im actually goin SOBO from maine around the middle of june as well. It'll be my first time thru-hiking that way. Maybe we'll see each other, plus we actually live 10 min from each other. If yea ever wanted to get together before the hike for a brew or something shoot me a msg. it'ld be nice to meet some other AT trekrs

protargol
04-22-2011, 08:39
Hey, im actually goin SOBO from maine around the middle of june as well. It'll be my first time thru-hiking that way. Maybe we'll see each other, plus we actually live 10 min from each other. If yea ever wanted to get together before the hike for a brew or something shoot me a msg. it'ld be nice to meet some other AT trekrs

I'm living in Boston now, but am from Athens. I'm hoping to get an early June start, but maybe we'll run into each other out there.

I like that I'm not the only one walking home!

tradewinds
04-25-2011, 14:46
Heck yea, good to hear us GA boys r take over the north! Lol, are u startin in Maine or New England parts?

protargol
04-27-2011, 14:48
Heck yea, good to hear us GA boys r take over the north! Lol, are u startin in Maine or New England parts?

We're heading out of Katahdin and going SOBO all the way. Our target date is June 4 for summit, but if the trails are bad, we may postpone by a week.

You got a flight figured out and everything?

myotheralt
05-02-2011, 00:50
I would like to chime in here and say that I, too, have a trail blog to document my pre- during- and post-hike. I dont have much, but it can all be found on http://jonpearsall.com/ (http://jonpearsall.com/appalachian-trail-thru-hike)

Also, I must say Eek! only 29 days till I leave!