PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition on a high calorie diet

Buffalo Skipper
02-08-2011, 17:04
I have a nutrition question. As I have been researching the nutrition of various foods online I have frequently seen a footnote such as:

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
How does eating a 4-5000 calorie diet affect these percentages?
Does eating more require addition intake of vitamins and minerals?

Inquiring minds want to know....

leaftye
02-08-2011, 17:14
I haven't looked it up, but I would that you need more, but not enough to keep those percentages the same. The reason being is that you still have approximately the same amount of body to take care of, you just need more energy, which primarily means more carbs & fats.

royalusa
02-08-2011, 17:18
I found this to be an interesting set of articles tailored specificially to long distant hikers. It even has articles on vitamins and minerals, the 2 topics you mentioned.

http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

Buffalo Skipper
02-08-2011, 18:03
I found this to be an interesting set of articles tailored specificially to long distant hikers. It even has articles on vitamins and minerals, the 2 topics you mentioned.

http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles/pack_light_eat_right.php

I have only glanced at that article so far, but it is very informative. Thanks! :)

gdwelker
02-08-2011, 20:18
Came across some information that comes from studies of very long range endurance kayakers an canoists (race distances start at 100 miles for the shortest, and the longest races are things like circumnavigating florida unsupported, or down the entire Mississipi) but the research is in a form that is applicable to any endurance athlete and addresses long term nutrition needs - that's an area that a lot of marathon type nutrition sports writing leaves out. She also talks about how to make it work for menu planning by showing how to analyze those "nutrition labels" on food. I had previously posted all the links in a forum at my club's kayaking site. Here is a link to that posting:

http://www.cpakayaker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5378

swjohnsey
02-08-2011, 21:30
The guidelines are minimums. Unless you are taking supplements you can't get too much of anything. Eating lots of calories makes it more likely you will get what you need. The only thing I watch is protein. Junk and fast food usually doesn't have a lot of it.

I kayaked the Mississippi from Laka Itasca, MN to Venice, LA. In some ways the resupply logistics are similar and in some ways very different. Resupply opportunities are much further apart. The river runs through the ghetto section of most towns. I depended on resupply mail drops that furnished me with about two weeks of food and supplies less bread and gasoline. I was only able to eat a dozen or so resturaunt meals in 2 1/2 months. Lost weight but not dangerous amounts.

Take a multi-viatamin a forget about it.

SassyWindsor
02-08-2011, 22:53
Eat a couple cans of sardines packed in olive oil every couple of days. This works for me.

fiddlehead
02-08-2011, 22:56
An apple a day..............You know the rest.
It' works.

SassyWindsor
02-08-2011, 23:40
Lots of different species, and brands, of sardine: My specie preference: "Nordic brisling" or if I can't find them I go for "Portuguese pilchards". Most can be gotten in different flavors, I prefer the organic olive oil.