PDA

View Full Version : GPS track of the BMT

10-K
02-08-2011, 19:48
Does anyone know where I might find a recent GPS track / gpx file for the BMT?

postholer.com
02-10-2011, 15:14
Does anyone know where I might find a recent GPS track / gpx file for the BMT?

Yeah, that word recent is a tough one.

You can get the 2008 version of Mr. Parkay's KML (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=375343&filename=670580-BentonMackayeTrail2.2.kml) which is the one postholer uses (http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=14) with a whole slew of waypoints.

That's all I know of. :(

-postholer

WingedMonkey
02-11-2011, 19:53
Yeah, that word recent is a tough one.

You can get the 2008 version of Mr. Parkay's KML (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=375343&filename=670580-BentonMackayeTrail2.2.kml) which is the one postholer uses (http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=14) with a whole slew of waypoints.

That's all I know of. :(

-postholer

Anyone know where Mr Parkay has been? His website guest boot is full of spam

WingedMonkey
02-11-2011, 19:54
boot should read book

10-K
02-23-2011, 07:37
I think I've got it!

I have GA, TN, and NC topo maps on my GPS.

I installed a transparent map named "My Trails" which includes the BMT and now I not only have the entire BMT on my GPS but hundreds (thousands?) of other trails as well - including GSMNP on my GPS.

Took it down to the AT and the tracks are accurate in my very limited testing.

Thanks to The Old Phart here on WB for the info!

royalusa
02-23-2011, 07:53
Yeah! Now all you need is for April 11 to arrive! :)

10-K
02-23-2011, 11:48
Yeah! Now all you need is for April 11 to arrive! :)

Chomping at the bit here.. Praying for lots of dry, warm days and moderately cool nights.

.. and that the GPS track will be accurate if and when I need it! :)

SGT Rock
02-23-2011, 14:12
Are you hiking the entire thing in one shot 10-K?

Snowleopard
02-23-2011, 15:48
>>>I installed a transparent map named "My Trails" which includes the BMT and now I not only have the entire BMT on my GPS but hundreds (thousands?) of other trails as well - including GSMNP on my GPS.

Took it down to the AT and the tracks are accurate in my very limited testing.

Thanks to The Old Phart here on WB for the info!
Do you have a web link for that?
--Walter

10-K
02-23-2011, 16:04
Do you have a web link for that?
--Walter

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53

This is the link to the My Trails map. This is a transparent map and to get the most out of it you need the topo maps installed to go along with it.

10-K
02-23-2011, 16:07
Are you hiking the entire thing in one shot 10-K?

Stem to stern sir... :)

SGT Rock
02-23-2011, 16:12
Are you going to make your own track? If you are, I would appreciate a copy.

10-K
02-23-2011, 16:19
Are you going to make your own track? If you are, I would appreciate a copy.

I wasn't planning on leaving the GPS on full time, though I suppose I could.

I'm pretty new at this GPS stuff and need a bit more how-to info on making a track.

I'm assuming I would just leave the GPS on while I'm hiking to create the log. When I got off the trail to resupply or whatever turn it off and then back on when I started hiking again?

SGT Rock
02-23-2011, 16:33
Yes, and it eats up batteries. That would be the biggest issues. I don't know what model you have, so sort of hard to tell you exactly how to do it. What does help is if you create a new track every day, and if you hit a landmark like a peak, gap, road, etc, you create a waypoint for it. I did some tracking on my last long BMT trip and it killed a few sets of AAs.

I've got a friend working on doing the entire BMT again in sections already, so if it is going to cause you problems don't worry about it. I just figured if there were two tracks I could use them to validate. I've had problems with tracks before having errors and it is nice to have another data set to look at for verification.

10-K
02-23-2011, 16:36
I've got a friend working on doing the entire BMT again in sections already, so if it is going to cause you problems don't worry about it. I just figured if there were two tracks I could use them to validate. I've had problems with tracks before having errors and it is nice to have another data set to look at for verification.

I'll probably beg off on it then... Stopping to create waypoints every day for 2.5 weeks would drive me insane. :)

SGT Rock
02-23-2011, 16:40
It sure can, so no problem. I'd rather you enjoyed your hike. It gives me an excuse to get a new GPS for Christmas and plan some long hikes.

You keeping a journal?

10-K
02-23-2011, 17:16
You keeping a journal?

I was thinking about that today... I've never kept any kind of hiking journal and to tell you the truth I can't even tell you with absolute certainty the exact dates I hiked big chunks of the AT....

But, I scoured Trailjournals.com and didn't find many entries for the BMT so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I don't have a smart phone so I'll be limited to paper/pen and maybe at least once or twice finding a computer to use.

SGT Rock
02-24-2011, 07:54
I mailed mine back to my wife and she typed them out.

I recommend you at least keep one for yourself. Having one on the internet ain't always a good idea.