PDA

View Full Version : The Death of the Podcast?

The Counselor
02-08-2011, 21:08
In looking for some good hiking podcasts, it appears most of the better ones, and particularly those with an emphasis on the AT, have been dormant for some time. Thinking of Southeastern Backpacking, ATHiking and a few others.

Did folks run out of things to talk about?

Are there any more recent podcasts or trailcasts accessible via iphone anyone can recommend?

10-K
02-08-2011, 21:12
The amount of work it takes to keep one going is probably more than the people who start them can keep up with.

Skidsteer
02-08-2011, 21:16
Backpacking Light (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Techniques/Podcasts/index.html) has podcasts if you subscribe.

couscous
02-08-2011, 21:19
My favorite is - Practical Backpacking Podcast (http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/blog/)

Diatribe
02-08-2011, 21:35
"ATHiking" the Podcast was GREAT!

I thank Toothless for all the hard work he put into it; but he hasn't made one in months, maybe a year.
I am not sour about this--he did all this on his own time, and I dont know about you all-but my free time is way to important to me. As much as I'd love to make something like that podcast & give it out for free to the trail community, I feel that I would lose track of time and miss out on things over time.

Thank You TOOTHLESS for making a great podcast, I hope all is well with you!!

JaxHiker
02-08-2011, 22:50
I think the concept is cool but I've never really been able to get into them. My commute isn't that long so I found I just get bits and pieces and it takes me a while to get through a single episode. I gave up trying.

ScottS
02-07-2012, 16:52
Anyone hear of any new ones?

poxholiday
01-08-2013, 15:01
Anyone hear of any new ones?

Hey gang!
Pox Holiday GA2ME 1998 here.
I co-host a podcast w/ Puss in Boots who hiked about 80% of the AT in 2009.
All of our episodes can be found at TrailShuttles.LibSyn.com
We try to focus on the Thru-Hiker experience as opposed to the gear aspect. Trust me, there are plenty of resources out there if you feel the need to talk about gear (see: whiteblaze.net).
Sometimes the show will have a different theme (Weather, Crazy People, Trail Magic, etc.) and we'll encourage hikers to call our hotline (828-394-4526) and leave a message.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions: [email protected]
Also...our podcast is chock full of profanity.
Thanks.

poxholiday
01-08-2013, 15:04
Oh yeah, we're on iTunes as well.

Mags
01-08-2013, 15:07
If I may put in a shameless plug for The Trail Show (http://www.thetrailshow.com). Disco, POD, d-low and myself do a podcast where our motto is "Less gear and more beer". :)

As with Pox above, we shy away from gear and interviews of celebrity hikers.

Like to describe the show as Backpacker Magazine meets NPR's Car Talk. :)

AS for keeping up with the podcasts, that's why we do it once a month. About what we can handle with life, the universe and everything.

MyName1sMud
01-08-2013, 15:31
I listen to Gun Talk and Fan Outdoors.

Gun Talk is really good if you're into guns.

FAN Outdoors is just one I like to keep up with as they talk about everything outdoors..... Hell i'm not even from their state or anywhere close to it. haha.

jjchgo
01-08-2013, 15:59
If I may put in a shameless plug for The Trail Show (http://www.thetrailshow.com). Disco, POD, d-low and myself do a podcast where our motto is "Less gear and more beer". :)

As with Pox above, we shy away from gear and interviews of celebrity hikers.

Like to describe the show as Backpacker Magazine meets NPR's Car Talk. :)

AS for keeping up with the podcasts, that's why we do it once a month. About what we can handle with life, the universe and everything.

i just found this on stitcher! i love you guy's motto! i will check out the lastest show this after while at work.

jjchgo
01-08-2013, 22:25
Hey gang!
Pox Holiday GA2ME 1998 here.
I co-host a podcast w/ Puss in Boots who hiked about 80% of the AT in 2009.
All of our episodes can be found at TrailShuttles.LibSyn.com
We try to focus on the Thru-Hiker experience as opposed to the gear aspect. Trust me, there are plenty of resources out there if you feel the need to talk about gear (see: whiteblaze.net).
Sometimes the show will have a different theme (Weather, Crazy People, Trail Magic, etc.) and we'll encourage hikers to call our hotline (828-394-4526) and leave a message.
Feel free to email me if you have any questions: [email protected]
Also...our podcast is chock full of profanity.
Thanks.

i'm listening to ep. 07A - absolutely hysterical! looking forward to more episodes!

poxholiday
01-08-2013, 22:54
i'm listening to ep. 07A - absolutely hysterical! looking forward to more episodes!

Oh, thank you. We're just kind of figuring things out.

Luckily, I am located close to several points along the AT in NC, so I look forward to meeting members of the Class of 2013.

We're actually in the works with some of this year's thru-hikers to appear as guests on our podcast.

P.S. if Ep. #7 doesn't offend you, might I suggest Ep. #4 "LOL" aka "Ladies Night"!

Find us!
Twitter: @PoxAndPuss
Instagram: @PoxAndPuss
All episodes: TrailShuttles.LibSyn.com
Our miserable excuse for a website: TrailShuttles.com
Facebook.com/PoxAndPuss
& iTunes

jjchgo
01-08-2013, 23:38
Oh, thank you. We're just kind of figuring things out.

Luckily, I am located close to several points along the AT in NC, so I look forward to meeting members of the Class of 2013.

We're actually in the works with some of this year's thru-hikers to appear as guests on our podcast.

P.S. if Ep. #7 doesn't offend you, might I suggest Ep. #4 "LOL" aka "Ladies Night"!

Find us!
Twitter: @PoxAndPuss
Instagram: @PoxAndPuss
All episodes: TrailShuttles.LibSyn.com
Our miserable excuse for a website: TrailShuttles.com
Facebook.com/PoxAndPuss
& iTunes

dude, the story about the peacocks and the story about krampus had me rolling. no offence taken at all. this is exactly what i like, trail stories and **** talking.

poxholiday
05-02-2013, 14:29
Here's the latest episode of our Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Podcast:

Episode 16, Part 1: Baltimore Jack Consumes an Entire Chicken

"Baltimore Jack Tarlin sits down to speak with us inside Mountain Crossings outfitter at Neels Gap along the Appalachian Trail. Jack tells us about his life on the Trail since his first attempt at a Thru-Hike in 1995... and his 9 completed thru-hikes since then. Pox & Puss regale Jack with stories about the first times they met him. We also discuss the Monsoon of 2003, Ghostbusters, "Olive Oyl", and...of course...The Doyle Hotel."

Directory Link:
http://trailshuttles.libsyn.com/16-part-1-baltimore-jack-consumes-an-entire-chicken

Direct Download Link:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/trailshuttles/episode_16_-_jack.mp3

or just find us on iTunes (search for "The Pox and Puss Podcast")

peakbagger
05-02-2013, 17:05
Boy I wish the trailcast podcasts were available somewhere

Mags
05-02-2013, 23:50
Boy I wish the trailcast podcasts were available somewhere

http://web.archive.org/web/20090418005435/http://trailcast.com/

They podcasts work..just tested a couple at random.

(The wayback machine is great for finding old web pages)

TrailCast was one of the earliest trail-focused podcasts. It is still one of the best. Courtesy of The Wayback Machine, this classic podcast is avail again. If TTS is "Car Talk" then TrailCast is "All Things Considered" or "Morning Edition" :)

peakbagger
05-03-2013, 06:46
Thanks for the link Mags, I used to send a lot of folk to their site as some of the interviews are the best I have heard for long distance hikers.

poxholiday
05-09-2013, 14:48
Part 2 of our Baltimore Jack podcast:

Episode 16, Part 2 - Baltimore Jack & The 2700 Laughing Pop-Tarts

http://traffic.libsyn.com/trailshuttles/episode_16_-_jack_2.mp3

H I T C H
11-30-2016, 11:00
Does anyone have any new Podcasts to share?

Thanks!

Hitch

TylerJ76
11-30-2016, 11:09
Does anyone have any new Podcasts to share?

Thanks!

Hitch

Are you all caught up with Pox & Puss?

One of the best ones I have found!

Water Rat
11-30-2016, 11:11
These can all be found on iTunes, or you can look them up on the internet and access them that way...

The Pox & Puss Podcast
Sounds of the Trail
The Dirtbag Diaries

Fun to listen to these during workouts, or just as background noise when working. :)

chknfngrs
11-30-2016, 12:05
Dirtbag Diaries is awesome!

Also check out The Outdoors Station dot co.uk

August W.
11-30-2016, 14:17
The Trail Show is piles of fun, well produced, and informative. Because of that podcast I am tempted to wear jeans and cary some flares or a flame thrower on my next thru hike.

eggymane
11-30-2016, 16:01
I didn't see Hang Your Own Hang mentioned, I like them, geared toward hammocking obviously

Patrickjd9
12-04-2016, 21:45
The Pox & Puss Podcast has been pretty scarce since midyear.

YoungBloodOnTrail
12-05-2016, 05:20
Ytailside Radio, it is based off the PCT but a good listen nonetheless

YoungBloodOnTrail
12-05-2016, 05:21
Trailside*

TylerJ76
12-05-2016, 09:12
The Pox & Puss Podcast has been pretty scarce since midyear.

True

If someone new just discovered it though, it's hours of entertainment

Ferglion
12-05-2016, 10:38
The First 40 miles is decent. Smoky Mountain radio is also good, although not active recently.

Offshore
12-05-2016, 14:41
Pox and Puss was funny in the beginning, but they got into repeating the same stories time and time again - part of the issue may be that they don't seem to do much actual backpacking anymore. Even they seem to have lost interest in it as it's been 3 - 6 months between episodes. The Trail Show was OK (once they stopped playing with the sound effects after the first couple of episodes). It got to be pretty formulaic though, with the hosts seeming to play characters. It also spends a lot of time on beer reviews that are pretty useless if you are outside of the Boulder area. (I unsubscribed a couple of years ago, so it may have changed for the better.) The First 40 Miles is for beginner backpackers, but still has a lot of good tips.

MuddyWaters
12-05-2016, 14:45
Ive listened to a few of N2 Backpacking with Birdshooter
OK, Ive listened to most, while driving on trips.

http://n2backpacking.com/

Most podcasts are done pretty badly.
These are done well, Even when the topic is boring.
Some are real good, especially interviews with thruhikers of AT, PCT, CDT, LT, camino, etc.

H I T C H
12-05-2016, 19:19
Thanks for all the good suggestions :banana

Hitch

jdx1177
12-05-2016, 20:34
+1 on trail show(annoying at first) , sounds of the trail (inconsistent but good) , pox and puss (especially in the beginning) dirt bag diaries (a little pretentious) trailside radio (defunct)

Def gonna check out n2backpacking

MtnMeister does some ok interviews with some really interesting people

Skyline
12-05-2016, 20:49
I think the concept is cool but I've never really been able to get into them. My commute isn't that long so I found I just get bits and pieces and it takes me a while to get through a single episode. I gave up trying.

Agree. The people who do podcasts (and most YouTube videos as well) need to learn that less is more.

Patrickjd9
12-06-2016, 21:52

Listened to my first n2backpacking podcast on my way to work this morning. Should help some with the keeping sane while commuting part of the retirement countdown.

Thanks!

H I T C H
12-07-2016, 14:22
Listened to my first n2backpacking! backpacking podcast on my way to work this morning. Should help some with the keeping sane while commuting part of the retirement countdown.

Thanks!

QFT! I95 Was a parking lot (again) this morning!

Hitch

Carl7
12-07-2016, 22:10
Fairly new: Mighty Blue on the Appalachian Trail: The Ultimate Mid-life Crisis

One Half
12-07-2016, 22:44
In looking for some good hiking podcasts, it appears most of the better ones, and particularly those with an emphasis on the AT, have been dormant for some time. Thinking of Southeastern Backpacking, ATHiking and a few others.

Did folks run out of things to talk about?

Are there any more recent podcasts or trailcasts accessible via iphone anyone can recommend?

Having recently started my own podcast (not hiking related) I understand why podcasts sometimes just peter out. Most of us aren't making money off it. In fact, most of us have to spend money to do it. There's fees for hosting services, website (if you have one), equipment might be a one time thing but sometimes you want to upgrade just like with backpacking gear. It can also get frustrating especially if you have a solo show and don't have much listener engagement. It's also a $h!t ton of work, more so for the smaller podcaster I think who has to do all of it themselves. I can spend 3 hours or more prepping for my once weekly show. I can also be prepped in 90 minutes, just depends on the week. Then recording usually takes me about 90 minutes followed by about 2 hours to edit out all my screw ups and such. Then show notes and in my case I do a bunch of facebook posting as my show is mostly about events happening in our city. If you are into podcasts and live near Plano, TX give it a listen. It's called Around Plano. It's my first podcast. I've been doing it about 8 weeks or so. It's a skill builder for sure. There is another podcast I want to eventually do but I need to get good at a number of things before I approach that other podcast.

Patrickjd9
12-07-2016, 22:47
QFT! I95 Was a parking lot (again) this morning!

I'm a counter-rush commuter, and don't do too badly unless someone crashes. but my wife says the roads have been awful lately.

BirdShooter
11-29-2017, 23:50

Most podcasts are done pretty badly.
These are done well, Even when the topic is boring.
Some are real good, especially interviews with thruhikers of AT, PCT, CDT, LT, camino, etc.

Just stumbled on to this thread ... and thanks MuddyWaters for the feedback. It’s nice to be appreciated. The comments here are true - that it is a lot of work to produce these podcasts and for most of us there is little to no money to show for it. We record these shows (and continue to do it) because we are passionate about the trail and we are sincerely interested in those who share our passion for hiking/backpacking. What keeps us going is people like you that are entertained and find value in the podcasts. So if you have any interview suggestions let’s hear them … because that’s why we’re here, and that’s what keeps us recording. Best wishes,