PDA

View Full Version : Important for all WB members to read...

Wise Old Owl
02-09-2011, 01:06
Its time... Imagine spending two years in prison for hiking. What would you do? I am asking VERY politely here on WB for you to take a moment in your day to compose a message to Ambassadors and the President of Iran to release the hikers for time served. This is a very important idea. The people of Iran have tremendous pride because they are part of the oldest civilization on earth and they do not believe in change. On the flip side they have no idea that they are hurting their economy because the press of holding the hikers is costing them millions of their currency.

Compose a message of your thoughts, do the right thing. Lets as a group try to help our fellow hikers.

http://freethehikers.org/

Ambassador Mohammad Khazaee
622 Third Avenue, 34th Floor, New York, NY 10017

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad)

N0 50.- Kamal Taheri St.- Za'feraniyeh- Vali'Asr Ave.- Tehran,Iran
آدرس:
تهران- خیابان ولیعصر – نرسیده به تجریش- خیابان شهید فلاحی ( زعفرانیه ) – انتهای خیابان شهید کمال طاهری

Bucherm
02-09-2011, 01:10
I'm sure the guy that thinks that th Holocaust is giant con job by the Jews will listen to a bunch of hikers who have a internet petition.

Wise Old Owl
02-09-2011, 01:15
Possible the post I was trying to avoid... I don't give a damn about the person in charge's myopic uneducated view... you miss the point.... Help someone right now who needs YOUR help more than ever.. now try to give it more than 10 seconds...

SassyWindsor
02-09-2011, 01:15
:)I say keep the idiots in jail, they're a danger to themselves and have already cost more US taxpayers money than they would have gotten in an armed bank heist that would have gotten them at least 20 yrs behind bars. Too bad the woman didn't return for trial, seems her tumor is starting to sprout some brain however.:)

Wise Old Owl
02-09-2011, 01:18
OK what is your source ? there is no taxpayer money involved.

Bucherm
02-09-2011, 01:31

What? How do you figure? We don't have an Embassy in Tehran, do you think we just have people who work for free as "special envoys" to Switzerland or some place to talk to the Iranians over piddly crap like this.

But hey, let's do an Internet pettition. Ahamneedajjob won't listen to his own people when they're rioting in the streets, but hey...

...an Internet Peitition

SassyWindsor
02-09-2011, 01:42

Hillary Clinton's (US State Dept) involvement, Swiss embassy per US Gov involvement , etc, etc. Google it. Was and has been all over the tele.

SassyWindsor
02-09-2011, 02:05
"Congress pleas for release of American hikers in Iran"

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Congress-renews-plea-to-release-Iran-hikers-92868484.html

How could anyone forget Barbara Boxer, as well as other members of congress, foaming at the mouth concerning the Iranian Hikers?

There has been a lot of US Gov involvement in public. No telling how much has been spent by the CIA and the military. You can bet that where there is "involvement" there is big bucks being wasted.

nitewalker
02-09-2011, 05:14
too bad jessie jackson isnt still around. he seemed to always get people out of these sticky situations.

Speakeasy TN
02-09-2011, 05:24
I'll sign as soon as you prove to me they "just got lost!" Let me guess, you think our government wouldn't interfere with another government? Time for a reality check.

fiddlehead
02-09-2011, 06:09
Thanks Wise Old Owl.
It takes 3-5 minutes to read the petition and sign it.
I can only think about some of the places I've hiked and this could've happened to me.

I have a hard time dealing with experience hikers and adventurers who can only be negative here.

Bummer.
And hikers yet.

Surplusman
02-09-2011, 06:41
The monumental stupidity of backpacking in the middle of a war zone is appalling. These folks do not need to be consecrated as unwitting victims in something they just stumbled into.

Maybe spending a lot of time in a filthy Iranian jail will give these people time to ponder what they set themselves up for.

"To shield people from the effects of their follies
is to fill the world with fools"

Bucherm
02-09-2011, 07:07
too bad jessie jackson isnt still around. he seemed to always get people out of these sticky situations.

Bill Clinton got those Journalists out of North Korea, IIRC.

Of course I'll say that the Norks are slightly more crazier than the Iranians, seeing as the key way to get hostages released there is to have a former Preident sit tight and watch some shoddily produced "epic" movie that Kim Jung-Il directed.

And of course there's a slight difffrence between Journalists who were careful to stay on one side of the border and some folks that decided that hiking for the hell of it in Iraq, along the Iranian border would be a good idea.

TD55
02-09-2011, 07:47
Thanks Wise Old Owl.
It takes 3-5 minutes to read the petition and sign it.
I can only think about some of the places I've hiked and this could've happened to me.

I have a hard time dealing with experience hikers and adventurers who can only be negative here.

Bummer.
And hikers yet.

Ya, sad commentary about posters here at WB. Americans being held in a prison in Iran and WB'ers are finding excuses for not signing a petition and it appears some would rather lend support to the Iranian side instead of the American side. Doubt if they even bothered to read the story and learn about the injustice being thrown against these Americans.

Papa D
02-09-2011, 07:48
I'll sign it!

10-K
02-09-2011, 08:04
I know with 100% certainty that you will never find me hiking on the Iran/Iraq border.

Blue Jay
02-09-2011, 08:06
:)I say keep the idiots in jail, they're a danger to themselves and have already cost more US taxpayers money than they would have gotten in an armed bank heist that would have gotten them at least 20 yrs behind bars.

Not to be negative, but I have to agree. Clearly these are Darwin Award contestants.:eek:

Awol1970
02-09-2011, 08:09
Thank you Wise Old Owl for your post.

Surplusman, your logic is astounding. I think being on adventure, rgaurdless of where it is, hardly merits time in a "filthy Iranian jail" as punishment. Wowwww:cool:

lamarr, of course our gov't interferes with other gov'ts. duhhhh. The Iranians are holding the hikers as political hostages. They aren't spies.

Sassy, you are a Brit...so your opinion doesn't count ;)

Ty for you post fiddlehead.

PeterB
02-09-2011, 08:15
:)I say keep the idiots in jail, they're a danger to themselves and have already cost more US taxpayers money than they would have gotten in an armed bank heist that would have gotten them at least 20 yrs behind bars. Too bad the woman didn't return for trial, seems her tumor is starting to sprout some brain however.:)

Wow. Let us know when your mother, sister or you get breast cancer and we can make a joke about it. I am sure it will be very funny to everyone.

TD55
02-09-2011, 08:17
What difference does it make why they were there? What are some of you suggesting? If foolish young Americans make a foolish mistake foriegn governments have permission to disregard human rights and international law? Or, if by chance those hikers were actually on the border for some other reason, we should abandon them.

Pedaling Fool
02-09-2011, 08:18
They're not spending time in jail for hiking; nor are they there because the Iranians suspect them for being spys. They are there because it's one of the few things the Iranian government has over the U.S.

No amount of letter writing will help their situation.

"The people of Iran have tremendous pride because they are part of the oldest civilization on earth and they do not believe in change. On the flip side they have no idea that they are hurting their economy because the press of holding the hikers is costing them millions of their currency."

This has nothing to do with the people of Iran, yes they are good people. Actually, they DO want change, again a fundamental misunderstanding of that government and the power they hold.

We can do more good by communicating with the people of these countries, such as Iran. There's nothing to be gained with trying to communicate with the governments.

takethisbread
02-09-2011, 08:24
sad commentary on the caliber of people we have. these people have families. its a sad tale.

swjohnsey
02-09-2011, 08:29
I hope they let them go, although I have little sympathy for rich kids wonder the world. I suspect any petition will have no effect on the outcome.

The U.S. has little room to complain when we hold folks in secret prisons with no trial or even charges.

TD55
02-09-2011, 08:32
Petitions in themselves have limited value, and often no real political value and may be ignored. The petition is a tactic and method to get people interested and perhaps involved in a political issue. A person who signs a petition is more likely to get involved with the issue.

Awol1970
02-09-2011, 08:33
The U.S. has little room to complain when we hold folks in secret prisons with no trial or even charges.

Elaborate please.

mweinstone
02-09-2011, 08:35
good morning woo.

mweinstone
02-09-2011, 08:48
good morning everyone.

Pedaling Fool
02-09-2011, 08:53
Petitions in themselves have limited value, and often no real political value and may be ignored. The petition is a tactic and method to get people interested and perhaps involved in a political issue. A person who signs a petition is more likely to get involved with the issue.
That's all good, but to put all that energy into dealing with the government is a waste of time, money and energy. We can't even get all our allies to stop buying oil from Iran and for that they're a fairly rich country, again writing the govt is not only a waste, it's extremely naive.

However, communicating with the people and letting them know there's a better life is the key. And we're doing that through the airwaves and the internet, which is very problematic for these countries. Problem is it takes time and constant effort and much bravery by the local people, bravery many westeners don't understand...thanks to our lavish lifestyles.

swjohnsey
02-09-2011, 09:00
Elaborate please.

Was Gitmo closed while I slept?

Pedaling Fool
02-09-2011, 09:06
Well, I can see the writing on the wall...this thread is history:D

I want so bad to respond, but I don't want to be the reason for closing this thread.

Blue Jay
02-09-2011, 09:07
Was an explaination of why they were actually there ever offered by anyone?

Pedaling Fool
02-09-2011, 09:09
Was an explaination of why they were actually there ever offered by anyone?
Yes, but I don't believe it.

But as others have said and I agree....they don't deserve this, but it was very preventable...

Pedaling Fool
02-09-2011, 09:10
Yes, but I don't believe it.

But as others have said and I agree....they don't deserve this, but it was very preventable...
forgot the link that gives the "reason" http://freethehikers.org/

Awol1970
02-09-2011, 09:12

Gitmo is hardly secret and tribunals are and have been being held there. Military combatants don't get trials...duhhhhh:cool:

mweinstone
02-09-2011, 09:16
When i was a young hiker, a thruhiker leaned over and exsplained to me the rule of not talking politics, religion or philosophy at a crowded campsite. His name was baltimore jack tarlin. It made me feel good to be one of the group, following rules belonging to that group. Over the years ive thaught differently at times about the need for the rule. I followed it, but wasnt crystle clear how i felt about it. Untill this thread. Now i see that the rule is to preserve the holyness of all that hiking is. When its allowed on whiteblaze, thats when whiteblaze will be no more. this site embodys the spirit of hiking for the treatment of springer feaver in the off seasons. It is a serious , needed , medical devise and is not to be missused.
Today i also learned, that when my friends get moderated, it doesnt effect me.

releasing thread toxins,....now.

The Counselor
02-09-2011, 09:41
The reponse to this thread is nothing --try starting one on the Pinhoti.

Ender
02-09-2011, 09:42
Sadly, this devolved quickly. Either sign the petition, or don't. No need to get nasty here folks.