PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Oregon 450 or 62s?

DawgU
02-09-2011, 08:57
I want to add the detailed topo maps, but I can't decide which unit to buy. Any insight from personal experience would be greatly appreciated!

leaftye
02-09-2011, 10:18
I'm happy with my Oregon 550, but I'll admit that I didn't even consider the 62s. I believe that's a mapping gps, no? I've heard people say that the antenna is better on those. Has that been quantified, and are there any other benefits?

DawgU
02-09-2011, 21:23
The trade off with the 62s is better antenna, but no touch screen. I've heard some complain about the effect of glare on the Oregon's screen.

I've struggled using my old gps (eTrex). I'm looking for ease of use more than any other characteristic, but reception is certainly important. I will be going to Olympia National Forest this summer where I assume the canopy can get pretty thick.

leaftye
02-15-2011, 23:00
I checked out a couple reviews. The antenna, or at least the tracking, doesn't appear to be better. Now if you ever plan to attach an external antenna, then yeah, the 62s may be well worth it.

Glare can be a problem if you try to prevent it. I did that for a while and had horrible problems with glare and was turning the screen brightness way up to try to overcome it. Once you recognize that the screen is transflective, you'll face it towards the sun and find that the screen works quite well. That also means the brightness can be turned all the way down when sunlight is available. It's a bit counterintuitive, and I still often try to shade the screen.