PDA

View Full Version : BPL Synthetic Quilt Question

Chance09
02-09-2011, 13:16
So i'm hoping to get a sleep system comfortable down to around 10 degrees using the BPL synthetic quilt. I want to make sure i'm good to go for the CDT this year.

On a really cold night I imagine I'll have my Montbell thermawrap jacket, maybe the BPL Synthetic Pants, and a silk liner (i'm undecided between silk liner and silk long johns). For my head i'm thinking a smartwool balaclava and the ray way down one as well.

My question is this, for those of you who have the quilt, what do you use for your BPL quilt sleep system and what temps can you sleep comfortably at?

skinewmexico
02-10-2011, 11:49
Guy on BPL tested it last night @ 15. Have you been following that thread?

couscous
02-10-2011, 12:18
I'm guessing the UL240?
I have the UL60 & UL180 and would want them both for 10°F.

QiWiz
02-11-2011, 17:41
So i'm hoping to get a sleep system comfortable down to around 10 degrees using the BPL synthetic quilt. I want to make sure i'm good to go for the CDT this year.

On a really cold night I imagine I'll have my Montbell thermawrap jacket, maybe the BPL Synthetic Pants, and a silk liner (i'm undecided between silk liner and silk long johns). For my head i'm thinking a smartwool balaclava and the ray way down one as well.

My question is this, for those of you who have the quilt, what do you use for your BPL quilt sleep system and what temps can you sleep comfortably at?

I have done backyard testing with the UL 240 quilt (wearing the BPL cocoon hoody and pants; shelter a Gatewood Cape) and based on that testing I would probably be OK down to 20 degrees with that combo or what you will have on, but not warm to 10 degrees (might not get hypothermic, but would have a lousy night). For that temp I would take my JRB Sierra Sniveller instead, which is actually lighter than the BPL quilt. For that same reason I'll be taking the JRB quilt rather than the BPL quilt on the AT in early April (just in case it gets really COLD).

Chance09
02-12-2011, 16:11
Laid out on my patio two nights ago in my quilt, silk liner, mtn hardware powerstretch fleece and long underwear and was pretty comfy. Was 13 degrees outside. I'm a little concerned about actually sleeping because when i'm not on the trail I seem to have trouble with it so testing out a sleep system when you can't really sleep almost seems like a moot point. But that said...so far so good.

Couldn't find my balaclava so i went with a beanie and a neck warmer for my head. No socks either.

Any thoughts as to the montbell synthetic pants versus the BPL ones besides i think about $40 in price?

dla
03-15-2011, 15:29
Laid out on my patio two nights ago in my quilt, silk liner, mtn hardware powerstretch fleece and long underwear and was pretty comfy. Was 13 degrees outside. I'm a little concerned about actually sleeping because when i'm not on the trail I seem to have trouble with it so testing out a sleep system when you can't really sleep almost seems like a moot point. But that said...so far so good.

Couldn't find my balaclava so i went with a beanie and a neck warmer for my head. No socks either.

Any thoughts as to the montbell synthetic pants versus the BPL ones besides i think about $40 in price?

Thanks for the info. BTW, were you using the UL240?

I'm a "cheap down bag" for a quilt kind of guy. But this year I would like to upgrade to a real quilt. As I'm not too concerned about packed size, the BPL UL-series has caught my eye. And JRB's quilts look good too. But I really have nothing to go by other than the experiences of you quilt users - hate to order something and then send it back.

I rarely sleep below freezing - but it does happen from time to time in the late spring. I almost never encounter 20*F conditions unless I'm puttering around in the late fall.

dla
03-23-2011, 11:41
Thanks for the info. BTW, were you using the UL240?

I'm a "cheap down bag" for a quilt kind of guy. But this year I would like to upgrade to a real quilt. As I'm not too concerned about packed size, the BPL UL-series has caught my eye. And JRB's quilts look good too. But I really have nothing to go by other than the experiences of you quilt users - hate to order something and then send it back.

I rarely sleep below freezing - but it does happen from time to time in the late spring. I almost never encounter 20*F conditions unless I'm puttering around in the late fall.
After chewing on this for a bit, it appears that only a tiny minority of backpackers use quilts and the majority loves down. I can understand that. I was hoping there was some break-through with synthetics.