PDA

View Full Version : Nalgene SCORE!

One Half
02-09-2011, 15:52
SO I hike with my son and husband or sometimes with friends. I love the collapsible canteens for camp use, especially if water is a bit of a distance away. I like the nalgene ones since I carry Nalgene Quart size bottles. Same mouth, same attachment for the water pump.

Last week I logged onto the Nalgene website and couldn't locate their collapsible canteen. I called customer service to order some and found out they are being discontinued. I also asked a couple of questions about other things and the service rep was very nice and said she would find out the answers. When she emailed me the answers she said she could send me a couple of nalgene collapsible canteens. So ship them she did and they arrived today.:banana Gratis! :bananaFree! 2 of them. :bananaAnd 2 to one of my buddies! :banana

Helios
02-09-2011, 15:54
I was about to order one of those when I got paid next week! Did they say why they were discontinuing them?

LoneRidgeRunner
02-09-2011, 15:57
I'm wondering..can they take the heat of boiling water like the hard style Nalgene bottles?

One Half
02-09-2011, 15:59
I was about to order one of those when I got paid next week! Did they say why they were discontinuing them?

They are discontinuing them. Call them up and ask about ordering one. See if they will offer to ship you one. I didn't ask. She just offered.:)

One Half
02-09-2011, 16:00
I'm wondering..can they take the heat of boiling water like the hard style Nalgene bottles?

I don't know. Call and ask them. I just use them so I don't need to make multiple trips and/or will have enough for dinner and breakfast without heading to the water source.

10-K
02-09-2011, 16:06
If I had to guess they're discontinuing them because they aren't very reliable.

I've got 6 or 7 of them that leak in various places. Duct tape patches the pin holes but when they split at the seams or around the lid it's all over.

One Half
02-09-2011, 16:10
never had a problem myself.

mweinstone
02-09-2011, 20:58
my beautiful new nalge colapsable broke its water and gave birth to thirst at springer shelter night one of my o6 attempt. thru it lovingly down on my pack from the top of the shelter. missed. hit the floor soft enough. just wasnt ment to be. nalge colapsables were the frankensteins of nalges only bad design ever. all plattys fail for the same reason. its a bad idea.

MuffinMan11
02-09-2011, 22:05
my beautiful new nalge colapsable broke its water and gave birth to thirst at springer shelter night one of my o6 attempt. thru it lovingly down on my pack from the top of the shelter. missed. hit the floor soft enough. just wasnt ment to be. nalge colapsables were the frankensteins of nalges only bad design ever. all plattys fail for the same reason. its a bad idea.
Not sure if you consider the MSR dromedary a platty but I have been using two of them for the last 15 years and never had a problem with them. They do weigh 5 OZ so heavy by todays standards but I wont trade them in. Over the years I have used other bags and always go back to them. They are 3 liter bags so I only need one. Also have a hose attachment but never use it.

Caboose
02-10-2011, 18:30
As far as a collapsible, I've carried the same bladder out of a wine box for 300 miles. Mine holds 1 gallon plus. It's enough to cook with wash dishes and bathe with (just tie it to a tree with my food bag string and unscrew a little) then you can drain it and blow it up for a pillow!!

dajuggernaunt
02-10-2011, 21:11
www.lifeviewoutdoors.com (http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com) has a limited supply of them still.

Cabin Fever
02-10-2011, 21:39
You should still be able to find them from outfitters that have already bought them. I have the big daddy 100oz'er. Great for while in camp.

Tinker
02-10-2011, 22:37
If I had to guess they're discontinuing them because they aren't very reliable.

I've got 6 or 7 of them that leak in various places. Duct tape patches the pin holes but when they split at the seams or around the lid it's all over.
I had one split around the junction of the neck that the cap threads onto and the flexible bag. It lasted a couple of seasons, though.

crazystick
02-11-2011, 05:50
I don't know. Call and ask them. I just use them so I don't need to make multiple trips and/or will have enough for dinner and breakfast without heading to the water source.

Yep, they can take the heat of boiling water no prob, but can your hands? they are a little harder to fit a sock around :P

I personally prefer "Platypus" collapsible bottles, so maybe keep an eye out for those, REI always has em, they do have a much smaller opening though, but they have never leaked on me and i always use em on my trips.