PDA

View Full Version : Populate Hanover's A.T. map

Cadence
02-09-2011, 16:42
The Howe Library in Hanover is seeking hiker photos to affix to the large map of the A.T. that has been installed above the bank of public computers in the library. These pictures both celebrate your accomplishments of our hiking visitors and help our efforts to educate our residents about the A.T. If you have hiked through Hanover, please send a photograph of yourself (with your trail name and year) on Katahdin or Springer, or on the trail, to add to our display. Please send photos to:

Mary White, Director
The Howe Library
13 South Street
Hanover, NH 03755

or as an attachment to [email protected]

Thank you.

Cookerhiker
02-09-2011, 16:44
The Howe Library in Hanover is seeking hiker photos to affix to the large map of the A.T. that has been installed above the bank of public computers in the library. These pictures both celebrate your accomplishments of our hiking visitors and help our efforts to educate our residents about the A.T. If you have hiked through Hanover, please send a photograph of yourself (with your trail name and year) on Katahdin or Springer, or on the trail, to add to our display. Please send photos to:

Mary White, Director
The Howe Library
13 South Street
Hanover, NH 03755

or as an attachment to [email protected]

Thank you.

Do you only want thruhikers? What about 2,000 milers who completed the AT in sections?

Sly
02-09-2011, 16:51
Do you only want thruhikers? What about 2,000 milers who completed the AT in sections?

Hikers that "walked through town." Can be section hikers too!

Torch09
02-09-2011, 19:19
help our efforts to educate our residents

"Beware of these people!" :sun

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2011, 19:42
Actually, I'm glad Cadence sent this along.....there really is an oversized strip map of the Trail hanging above the public computers on the wall, and the staff really looks forward to meeting and hearing from hikers. I might be biased cuz I live here, but along with the public libraries in Williamstown, MA; Dalton, MA; Salisbury CT; Waynesboro, Pearisburg, and Damascus VA; I think this is the friendliest library on the whole Trail. If you can, send these guys a postcard or photo!

Cadence
02-10-2011, 12:34
The Howe Library welcomes all manner of A.T. hikers--in person and in photo. No discrimination by distance or direction. (I'll let the library staff decide what to do with the photo from someone who "hiked the trail" by strolling in their Pradas from the Dirt Cowboy to the bookstore . . . but I suspect it won't come 'cause they aren't reading Whiteblazes.net.)

Word from the librarian says that she received her first photo last night. Please keep them coming.

WingedMonkey
02-10-2011, 13:54
With or without beer can?

Wolverine
02-10-2011, 18:48
Photo sent — thank you, Mary.

Even way back in 2003 (back when cell phones and digital cameras were still fairly uncommon on the AT, and computer technology in trail towns was often quite primitive), your library had among the very best, most up-to-date computers of any place I encountered along the whole Trail. Furthermore, your staff was warm and generous in allowing us hikers to utilize a machine for as long as we needed. I spent the better part of an afternoon checking email and updating the ol' trail journal — I remember this like it was yesterday.

So again....thank you.

Tinker
02-10-2011, 18:50
"Beware of these people!" :sun

Yep! Beware the educated people. Remember, "The mind is a terrible thing." :D

10-K
02-10-2011, 20:11
Actually, I'm glad Cadence sent this along.....there really is an oversized strip map of the Trail hanging above the public computers on the wall, and the staff really looks forward to meeting and hearing from hikers. I might be biased cuz I live here, but along with the public libraries in Williamstown, MA; Dalton, MA; Salisbury CT; Waynesboro, Pearisburg, and Damascus VA; I think this is the friendliest library on the whole Trail. If you can, send these guys a postcard or photo!

Absolutely true. The Hanover library is the only library that I stopped at who welcomed me as a hiker and encouraged me to sign the register as you walked in.

Hanover was a great stop all the way around.. Lou's for breakfast, whatever the coffee shop is across the street, The Hanover Inn, the co-op, - super place to spend a day.

Blissful
02-10-2011, 21:08
Love the Hanover library. So friendly there. Thanks!