PDA

View Full Version : Late Feb, Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro, PA

flemdawg1
02-09-2011, 19:20
Alright I have a business trip coming up to Chambersburg, PA. I'm thinking of catching a direct flight to Reagan Airport in DC, hitting the train to HF, then hiking till Tuesday coming out in Waynesboro, PA (45 miles). I'll have a co-worker pick me up on PA 16 and have my clothes Fedex'ed to my hotel in advance.

How cold should I expect?

I realize that the HF train doesn't arrive until nearly 5pm. Are there any tentsites just north of town or should I just goto the hostel in HF?

Snow? Water Sources?

Any other holes in the hare-brained scheme?

Cookerhiker
02-09-2011, 19:28
Alright I have a business trip coming up to Chambersburg, PA. I'm thinking of catching a direct flight to Reagan Airport in DC, hitting the train to HF, then hiking till Tuesday coming out in Waynesboro, PA (45 miles). I'll have a co-worker pick me up on PA 16 and have my clothes Fedex'ed to my hotel in advance.

I realize that the HF train doesn't arrive until nearly 5pm. Are there any tentsites just north of town or should I just goto the hostel in HF?

Snow? Water Sources?

The first (legal) camping northbound is Ed Garvey Shelter - 6 miles. Fairly easy hiking with the C&O Canal portion allowing you to practically trot but you'd still probably not get to Garvey until dark. But I don't know when the earliest possible train from DC is. Perhaps you can start before 5.

Locals can fill you in on the trail conditions & water.

ki0eh
02-09-2011, 22:40
Or head west on the C&O from opposite Harpers to one of the hiker/biker campsites? Adds more distance in/out though.

Amtrak of course only has the one train, earlier trains (if a weekday) would be http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/Brunswick_sched.cfm - actually it looks like the only earlier outbound terminates at Brunswick and only on Fridays. I suppose one could walk the C&O Canal from Brunswick over to the AT but not sure of mileage coming that way, no time for me to check tonite.

Cookerhiker
02-09-2011, 22:56
Or head west on the C&O from opposite Harpers to one of the hiker/biker campsites? Adds more distance in/out though.

You'll see the C&O campsites listed on this link (http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/camping.htm) includes one named Huckelberry Hill at Mile 62.9. Harpers Ferry is about Mile 60 so you have nearly 6 miles round trip out of your way. But it's easy flat walking and scenic with the Potomac right there.

But be aware that in the winter, the Park Service turns off the water pumps at these campsites. I don't know about water availability from any tributaries. I wouldn't be crazy about drinking water from the Potomac.

flemdawg1
02-11-2011, 12:47
Has anyone here actually made this train ride?

Igor
02-11-2011, 13:35

Snow? Water Sources?

The weather ranges from mid-20s at night to mid-40s during the day. There is still some snow on the ground, but it's melting pretty rapidly, and there isn't any more snow forecast for the foreseeable future. Water sources may be frozen, but the weather appears to be warming up, so they'll likely be flowing by the time you get there (perhaps trickling is the better word).

As other people have said, the closest shelter is Ed Garvey heading north, but there are tentsites on the C&O canal right nearby. My advice would be stay at the hostel, grab some food in town, and hit it early in the morning.

As far as the train goes, I've ridden from D.C. to a bit farther down the line in WV. The train is a well-used commuter train and is generally on time barring adverse weather conditions.

Hope this helps.

flemdawg1
02-11-2011, 14:20
Looks like the Harpers Ferry Hostel is closed until Mid-April and The Town's Inn is booked up. Any other inexpensive options there?

Igor
02-11-2011, 15:26
Depends on your definition of inexpensive, but probably not. You could try:

Quality Inn and Conference Center 1 304 535-6304
Historic Hilltop House Hotel 1 304 535-2132
Comfort Inn 1 304 535-6391

The Hilltop House is the only one right in town, the other two would be a bit outside. I think there's also some B&Bs in Harpers Ferry, but I'd wager they're expensive (though possibly cheaper than the above places). Either way, being a tourist town makes Harpers Ferry expensive in general.

flemdawg1
02-11-2011, 16:58
I check almost all the B&B's, the Quality and Comfort Inns. Nothing less than $99.

How well is the trail marked to Ed Garvey Shelter? Could I do it by headlamp (PT Aurora)?

futureatwalker
02-11-2011, 17:16
I did a similar trip, but in the other direction. Took the train from D.C. to Harpers Ferry, and stayed at the Comfort Inn (short taxi ride). The Inn wasn't too expensive and had breakfast. We got a lift south and walked back to Harpers Ferry, over three days.

It was November, and cold. You might have warmer weather in February, but I'd be prepared for cold nights.

If I were you I'd stay in Harpers Ferry the night you arrive, and then head out the next day. We also stayed at another place (on our return) - the Town Inn? - which was nice.

Igor
02-11-2011, 19:54
The trail is pretty well marked in this area, and I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't have much of a problem making it to Ed Garvey shelter in the dark. However, if you get off on the C&O canal towpath there are campsites within 2ish miles on flat ground, and the path can't be missed (barring drunken stupor or blindness). As stated previously though, it'll add some unnecessary miles to your trip.

tuswm
02-12-2011, 13:09
the first time i ever hiked from HF to the ed garvey shelter was in the dark by head lamp. I made it.

WingedMonkey
02-12-2011, 13:14
The Hilltop House is the only one right in town, the other two would be a bit outside. I think there's also some B&Bs in Harpers Ferry, but I'd wager they're expensive (though possibly cheaper than the above places). Either way, being a tourist town makes Harpers Ferry expensive in general.

The Hilltop House is CLOSED, It fell down. Sorta.

sir limpsalot
02-12-2011, 17:56
You'll see the C&O campsites listed on this link (http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/camping.htm) includes one named Huckelberry Hill at Mile 62.9. Harpers Ferry is about Mile 60 so you have nearly 6 miles round trip out of your way. But it's easy flat walking and scenic with the Potomac right there.

But be aware that in the winter, the Park Service turns off the water pumps at these campsites. I don't know about water availability from any tributaries. I wouldn't be crazy about drinking water from the Potomac.

beware, the freight trains come right by the campsites there, all night long!

DaSchwartz
02-13-2011, 20:24
You have earlier trains that go to BRUNSWICK, Maryland which is about the same amount of walking to the Ed Garvey shelter. There is also a private campground about 1/4 mile from the MARC train station in Brunswick. There is a train that arrives at Brunswick at 3pm on Friday's.

http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/Brunswick_sched.cfm

As far as weather, it can be bitter cold or around 70 degrees. So unless you can get a weather report right before you go, prepare for it to be 10 degrees at night (that way YOU'RE prepared for the coldest conditions).

More then likely, it will be dark by the time you make it to the Ed Garvey shelter.

Oh, there used to be a good hiker-biker camp right where the AT splits off the C&O canal but due to vandalism and vagrants hijacking it, they closed it. Best wishes.

DaSchwartz
02-13-2011, 20:27
I check almost all the B&B's, the Quality and Comfort Inns. Nothing less than $99.

KOA campground near Harpers Ferry although I'm not sure if they are open in February or not. As far as going to Ed Garvey at night, you'll probably be fine but there is a quite a uphill climb from the C&O canal to Ed Garvey shelter. Around 1,000 feet of climbing.

DaSchwartz
02-13-2011, 20:28
beware, the freight trains come right by the campsites there, all night long!

You're not kidding there. I've bicycled the entire C&O canal and holy cow, when they come through, they come through. Even where the tracks are on the West Virginia side, they are LOUD!!!!!!! But by the 2nd day on the canal path, you get used to it.

Cookerhiker
02-13-2011, 21:40
KOA campground near Harpers Ferry although I'm not sure if they are open in February or not. As far as going to Ed Garvey at night, you'll probably be fine but there is a quite a uphill climb from the C&O canal to Ed Garvey shelter. Around 1,000 feet of climbing.

It's less than 1,000' and really not that difficult. It's only about 500' to the ridgeline by the side trail to Weverton Cliffs and an additional 300' spread out over the remaining 2.1 miles to Ed Garvey Shelter. The ridge is pretty narrow and with the trees devoid of leaves, the trail won't be in pitch-dark blackness.

DaSchwartz
02-14-2011, 14:11
Actually, it's slightly over 900 feet of climbing using Delorme Topo and following the AT trail to Ed Garvey Shelter. Depending on the shape of the person and the gear, a 900 foot climb right off the train can be awful although I'm sure the urge to hike will overcome it. Then again, I've seen people quit on the Approach trail to Springer Mountain. As far as the rest of the section to Waynesboro, it's some of the easiest on the AT.

flemdawg1
02-14-2011, 15:25
My last section I got out of the car and climbed 2200 ft out of Hughes Gap to Roan Mtn. At least on this trip I have what looks like a 4 mile warmup before I hit the 1st real hill (Potomac to Weverton Rd).

At this point I think I'll try to get to Ed Garvey Shelter by headlamp. If I get disoriented/lost, I'll just stop where I'm at and stealth camp. Full moon is Friday night so that should help.