PDA

View Full Version : Another Winter Storm Rolling In.

Ashevillian
02-09-2011, 20:48
Another storm is rolling in from North GA through Western NC tonight. They are calling for 1 to 3 inches locally, more in the higher elevations.

Sierra Echo
02-09-2011, 20:49
Its not true and I refuse to believe it!

johnnybgood
02-09-2011, 21:03
Its not true and I refuse to believe it!
Sophia says "believe it ." www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php (http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php) ;)

Sierra Echo
02-09-2011, 21:04
Sophia says "believe it ." www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php (http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php) ;)

I hope sophia is another gossipy chick who cant get the story right! :p

Ashevillian
02-09-2011, 21:15

Cool site, thanks for sharing it.

ARambler
02-09-2011, 21:54
I hope sophia is another gossipy chick who cant get the story right! :p

sophia must be an old chick. look at the hostels, Miss Janet, 4 Pines, the Pie lady...

Slo-go'en
02-09-2011, 23:43
This storm and the next couple for that matter can stay to the south. If I have to lift one more shovel full of snow, my arms are going to fall off! By now I mustsa have moved 400 tons of the stuff - by hand. I've got nowhere left to put it.

mweinstone
02-10-2011, 06:30
dear lord bring snow to the tops of the highest buildings in philly so everyone must tunnel out and never return save to empty the ems outfitter on the way out. and let only my people reach the AT. and let us live in a utopian trail sociaty founded on a snow day.

10-K
02-10-2011, 07:33
Haven't went outside this AM but everything looks like it got a good dusting here in Erwin.

No school. Again.

nitewalker
02-10-2011, 07:43
This storm and the next couple for that matter can stay to the south. If I have to lift one more shovel full of snow, my arms are going to fall off! By now I mustsa have moved 400 tons of the stuff - by hand. I've got nowhere left to put it.

i hear ya this is what we have on the ground in east killingly connecticut.this pic was taken about 2 weeks after the storms. the snow had melted about 6 inches by the time i got this pic.about 30 inches on the grd in this pic. impressive for this area.

daddytwosticks
02-10-2011, 08:25
Just a light dusting here in the valleys of far western NC. Is it spring yet? :)

tzbrown
02-10-2011, 08:39
-1*F in mid Mi this morning, windchills are -15 to -20. :eek:

I think I will have a second coffee before heading out for my morning walk.

TZ

veteran
02-10-2011, 09:37
Going to be warmer in the south next week for those starting early.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Suches&state=GA&site=FFC&textField1=34.732&textField2=-84.0689&e=0

wornoutboots
02-10-2011, 09:41
5 F here in Northern KY but a heat wave is coming! 40's this weekend! I'm hittin Red River Gorge

tawa
02-10-2011, 10:21
Single digits here In IN this morning but expect it to get near 50 by the weekend.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 10:27
Another storm is rolling in from North GA through Western NC tonight. They are calling for 1 to 3 inches locally, more in the higher elevations.

Got less than an inch here in Morganton, NC on the grass only..none on the roads...

Ashevillian
02-10-2011, 10:48
We ended up with about an inch, roads covered, schools closed.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 10:55
We ended up with about an inch, roads covered, schools closed.

When I was in school (many, many moons ago), schools seldom closed for snow here in Burke County. I remember many mornings riding the bus to school with 6 inches or more of fresh snow on the ground and even with a few inches on the roads with some 16 year old high school kid driving the bus because they had to pay them very little. Now they close schools in Western NC if the forecast is for flurries in Fairbanks Alaska!

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2011, 11:01
I think spring will fall on us very quickly.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 11:06
I think spring will fall on us very quickly.

Probably .....the ground hog saw his shadow and I counted 16 Robins in my back yard on ground hog day too ..but there will be some more cold weather here in western NC before Spring settles in..Had 3 deer in my back yard this am too, but that probably doesn't mean anything except they like corn..not a weather indicator..

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2011, 11:08
I know...judging by my local weather I would never suspect spring being any where in sight, but I got all the signs here, including the robins, tons of them leaving blueberries all over the place.

Elder
02-10-2011, 12:44
I know...judging by my local weather I would never suspect spring being any where in sight, but I got all the signs here, including the robins, tons of them leaving blueberries all over the place.

John...blueberries grow on bushes, Not under Robins..8)

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 12:51
John...blueberries grow on bushes, Not under Robins..8)

They're growing under robins if the robin is sitting on top of a blueberry bush..gottcha! :D

Tilly
02-10-2011, 12:59
Probably .....the ground hog saw his shadow and I counted 16 Robins in my back yard on ground hog day too ..

I have seen robins all over town. What are they doing up here? The temperature has not gone above 10 degrees for days...they look so puffed up and cold. Usually I don't see them until much milder weather hits.

WingedMonkey
02-10-2011, 13:00
:sun83 degrees here on the Florida Trail

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2011, 13:06
I have seen robins all over town. What are they doing up here? The temperature has not gone above 10 degrees for days...they look so puffed up and cold. Usually I don't see them until much milder weather hits.
They're telling you that spring is on its way. I don't know what clues they use, but it's not temps. Last year I didn't see any signs until really late, but this year I see it. Mark my words, spring is marching forward at double-time. And it's not just the robins, I see many other signs down here, but as I type this it's freakin' cold, way below average.

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2011, 13:31
Probably .....the ground hog saw his shadow and I counted 16 Robins in my back yard on ground hog day too ..but there will be some more cold weather here in western NC before Spring settles in..Had 3 deer in my back yard this am too, but that probably doesn't mean anything except they like corn..not a weather indicator..
I've never paid much attention to Phil, but he was right last year and I think he'll be right this year. But according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punxsutawney_Phil, he's accuracy is only at around 39%, which makes me wonder how they really come up with the predicition and how that method has changed over the years.

I'd also be curious if his 39% postive hits are all over the place of if he's possibly getting more accurate nowadays:-?

Gray Blazer
02-10-2011, 15:29
Dogwoods are starting to bloom in Gainesville, FL.

Tenderheart
02-10-2011, 15:39
Well, we got less than an inch here in Upstate SC. I went out to run around 10:30 or so and it was pretty much gone. Is anyone ready for spring? The older I get, the more the cold seems to affect me. And that's coming from a wimp who lives in SC. I used to go out to run in shorts and a light jacket, but now I look like the Michelin Man and still get cold.

litefoot 2000

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 15:44
I've never paid much attention to Phil, but he was right last year and I think he'll be right this year. But according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punxsutawney_Phil, he's accuracy is only at around 39%, which makes me wonder how they really come up with the predicition and how that method has changed over the years.

I'd also be curious if his 39% postive hits are all over the place of if he's possibly getting more accurate nowadays:-?

Maybe Phil is getting older and wiser but the older I get the more forgetful I get

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 15:45

Hmm..they must be lost..

Pedaling Fool
02-08-2012, 11:13
I didn't think I'd see Robins this year, seeing how mild the winter was, but heard a bunch of birds, went outside and they were all over the place, the pics don't do the numbers justice. Makes me wonder why I see these things migrating north in the spring, but don't ever recall seeing them migrate south in the Fall:confused:

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/76gunner/Local Birds/017.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/76gunner/Local Birds/009.jpg

Elder
02-08-2012, 13:55
It has been an unusual year. Artic owls have been seen all along our northern states this year pushed south by exterme cold and the cycles of food source.
Your first picture is Red-winged Blackbirds...first cousins of Starlings and Grackles...they mingle flocks.

Gray Blazer
02-08-2012, 15:33
Dogwoods are starting to bloom in Gainesville, FL.

Funny, this post is a year old.

Dogwoods and azaleas have been blooming for two weeks now.

weary
02-08-2012, 17:14
They're telling you that spring is on its way. I don't know what clues they use, but it's not temps. Last year I didn't see any signs until really late, but this year I see it. Mark my words, spring is marching forward at double-time. And it's not just the robins, I see many other signs down here, but as I type this it's freakin' cold, way below average.
Here along midcoast Maine I had a dozen robins on my lawn this week, and a couple even stayed around until today, despite 9 degree F. last night. The lawn is mostly snow free. No real storms so far this winter, though my plowing bill is a hefty $186 so far. He's supposed to plow when the total fall reaches 3 inches. But he stretches the limit sometimes. One storm, I was plowed at around 2 inches one morning. It warmed during the day and the snow had all disappeared by late afternoon.

I'm hoping the early robins herald an early spring. Heating oil is approaching $3.70 a gallon -- or about $800 for a full tank. My oil tank is already half empty, and my wood pile is rapidly diminishing. Other hopeful Spring signs include two dozen Canada geese in the bay this morning, and a scattering of other waterfowl.

Pedaling Fool
02-08-2012, 17:28
Here along midcoast Maine I had a dozen robins on my lawn this week, and a couple even stayed around until today, despite 9 degree F. last night. The lawn is mostly snow free. No real storms so far this winter, though my plowing bill is a hefty $186 so far. He's supposed to plow when the total fall reaches 3 inches. But he stretches the limit sometimes. One storm, I was plowed at around 2 inches one morning. It warmed during the day and the snow had all disappeared by late afternoon.

I'm hoping the early robins herald an early spring. Heating oil is approaching $3.70 a gallon -- or about $800 for a full tank. My oil tank is already half empty, and my wood pile is rapidly diminishing. Other hopeful Spring signs include two dozen Canada geese in the bay this morning, and a scattering of other waterfowl.That post you quoted is a year old, almost to the day, which is interesting because that would mean that the robins showed up about the same time this year, despite it being a very regular winter here as opposed to the last 3 extremely cold winters. I really didn't expect to see them this year.

The below pic is of my Hibiscus and is proof of how nice this winter has been this year. That plant was over 6 ft in 2008 then it was killed the following winter and every winter since, only obtaining a max height of ~3 ft. It's now 4ft, and expect it will be 6 ft by the summer.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m484/76gunner/Miscellaneous Yard Pics/004.jpg

The Solemates
02-09-2012, 21:37
dang it! i just rescheduled my trip that i was supposed to go on this weekend. alas, after my busy schedule this week which included a good bit of traveling 2 weeks away from the family would not be good so it was the right thing to do.

The Solemates
02-09-2012, 21:38
dang it! i just rescheduled my trip that i was supposed to go on this weekend. alas, after my busy schedule this week which included a good bit of traveling 2 weeks away from the family would not be good so it was the right thing to do.

yep, just realized this post was a year old.

Blissful
02-09-2012, 23:09
We're supposed to get some snow maybe Friday night into Saturday. I'm taking a WFA course too

JAK
02-10-2012, 08:40
I also predict lots and lots of snow for this weekend.
If this thread stays open a few more years I should eventually be right.