PDA

View Full Version : Introverted thru-hikers

Thenixon
02-10-2011, 00:36
Hard to ask the question, but here i go.

If you fear and actively avoid interactions with strangers or even acquaintances in everyday life, I'm wondering what your trail experience was like.

I know I'll be sharing shelters with others most of the way. I'm not worried about sleeping, just the awkward time between the end of hiking and sleepy time. And I don't actually hate people, honest.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Oleskool
02-10-2011, 00:39
Stealth camp, thats how my wife and I avoid time around strangers we dont want to talk with.

ChinMusic
02-10-2011, 00:44
IMO the trail, especially NOBO, is perfect for intro AND extroverts. It's all there for your choosing.

swjohnsey
02-10-2011, 00:51
In not exactly introverted and I don't plan to spend any time sleeping at shelters.

Spokes
02-10-2011, 06:53
You'll quickly notice two types of people hiking the AT. Generally speaking they are:

1- Shelter people
2- Tent people

Shelter people tend to be more extroverted and gregarious while tent people are more introverted and taciturn. Of course, as with all things associated with human nature, there are exceptions.

Enjoy your thru-hike.

mweinstone
02-10-2011, 07:02
if you mix an introvert with an outrovert you get a inbetweentrovert. my point? were all troverts. some troverer than others. are introverts allways wishing they were more extroverted? or are they fine with what they are? cause if you sit in a crowded place and quietly observe human ineraction, you will relize each of us is but a part of other folks world. we are not the center of anyones world. and this allows you to understand, no one is watching you or careing about you and that you are free to be yourself without persecution. its a simple exersize but one that teaches a lession we all belive we know and dont. im gratefull my father pointed this out to me as an akward teen. this, and the time he gave me a sailboat are the only two times he ever spoke in the 13 years i knew him.

rickb
02-10-2011, 07:51
Some years ago there was a well know study that clasified hikers on the Meyers-Briggs personality test

If found that a very large percentage were introverts. INTP was the most common profile, I think. I expect you will be in good company.

I was reminded of that when I saw the Warren Doyle interview on the ALDHA Youtube Video. One of his comments about his satisfaction seeing introverted people come out of their shells within the hiking community resonated with me.

Bottom line, I think you will be in good company. In fact, I think you might have more to worry about if you start your hike as an extrovert!

Safari
02-10-2011, 08:00
I slept every single night of my AT odyssey in my trusty tent (apart from the hotel stays in town), I averaged 9 to 10 hours sleep a night, hiked the trail in 3 and a half months, met loads of fantastic people, had a blast, never used a privy, shunned the shelters (unless in caes of torrential rain, dodgy weather) can't wait to get back to the States and still avoid society and all it's hang ups & pettiness... don't stress, there is plenty of space & solitude out there (and you don't need a rodent infested shelter, that's just lazy planning!)...;)

Cookerhiker
02-10-2011, 08:08
Some years ago there was a well know study that clasified hikers on the Meyers-Briggs personality test

If found that a very large percentage were introverts. INTP was the most common profile, I think. I expect you will be in good company.

I was reminded of that when I saw the Warren Doyle interview on the ALDHA Youtube Video. One of his comments about his satisfaction seeing introverted people come out of their shells within the hiking community resonated with me.

Bottom line, I think you will be in good company. In fact, I think you might have more to worry about if you start your hike as an extrovert!

I took the Meyers-Briggs test on 2 occasions over the course of my working career and both times came out INTP. Some of my friends are surprised about the "I." My know-it-all boss the first time I took it said I'd be ISTJ because I was an accountant. He got it half-right, half-wrong.

Spokes
02-10-2011, 08:16
if you mix an introvert with an outrovert you get a inbetweentrovert. .......

No, you get an ambivert (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ambivert).

ekeverette
02-10-2011, 08:38
i wrote a blog on the same thing. i'm just like you. i absolutely do not think i'm above or better, i just have a terrible time interacting with folks, social anxiety i quess. i figure the place is plenty big if i want to hide in my tent. and what does imo mean?

Hoofit
02-10-2011, 09:11
Face your fears - learn how to build a fire in any weather - that's always appreciated - and remember, you're not alone in your fears, you're just the one brave enough to admit it.
Good luck on your hike...

10-K
02-10-2011, 09:32
I hide in the bushes when I see someone coming, does that count? :)

RGB
02-10-2011, 10:17
We are just alike. Usually on the trail, if I don't feel like talking to someone, I just answer their questions and do not elaborate. It doesn't take them long to get the idea. I go out there to get away from everything, including people.

Most people I see on the trail that are my age have guitars (which are eventually played poorly with insufferably predictable song lists) and ridiculous far left, McCandless-esque ideologies that are hard listen to without laughing. And most of the the adults/older folks I have met make me feel like I'm reading the comments on a FOX news article. Have told me to watch my language, do I believe in Jesus, etc. Equally insufferable. I'm pretty picky when I choose my company, but I have met some good people out there and I'm sure you will too.

The biggest thing is to not let people make you feel bad about your social preferences. Some people need other people, some others not so much. You just fall in the latter category. If someone says anything to you about being a "loner", ask them why they need validation and acceptance so badly to be happy.

Sickmont
02-10-2011, 10:30
The easiest way to make me switch over from an introvert to an extrovert is a liberal application of beer/alcohol. That and good conversation too.

RGB
02-10-2011, 10:34
The easiest way to make me switch over from an introvert to an extrovert is a liberal application of beer/alcohol. That and good conversation too.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's a reason they call it social lubricant.

YohonPetro
02-10-2011, 10:42
I am introverted typically. But put a trail under my feet and I speak freely. I get excited. I guess I assume that if you're in the woods we've got common ground. There are things to talk about, even the weather is actually relevant. I enjoy chatting with total strangers in the woods. In regular society I am reserved, sometimes (at least to me) annoyingly so.
Speaking 1 on 1 while walking seems to grease my social wheels. I will sit off to the side at the campfire, adding a bit to conversation - but it's the flow of communication in small groups I do the best at.

Second Half
02-10-2011, 10:54
are introverts allways wishing they were more extroverted?

I would add: "are extroverts aware how annoying they can be to introverts?"

4shot
02-10-2011, 10:56
The biggest thing is to not let people make you feel bad about your social preferences. Some people need other people, some others not so much. You just fall in the latter category.

both introverts and extroverts, the OP to his credit admitted that he was motivated somewhat by fear. I agree with the poster who encouraged the young man to confront that fear. As an introverted person myself (INTP), I would not necessarily choose to be around others but I have learned to accept and even enjoy the times I do spend with people. This was helpful to me in the long run because my work has required me to be around others and was a big stress reducer - I didn't have to craft strategies around my fears as I did in my younger days. You are correct in that he should not feel bad about being an introvert, half the people in the world are.
To the OP, others have said it here - the trail experience can be whatever you want it to be. Good luck on your hike

Spokes
02-10-2011, 11:24

Hiding that pot of gold again 10-K?

http://mrg.bz/B9eRHj

fehchet
02-10-2011, 11:38
Refrain from showers, burp and fart a great deal, and bring deep nose picking to a world class level -- that should do it.

ChinMusic
02-10-2011, 11:40
I would add: "are extroverts aware how entertaining they can be to introverts?"
fixed........

wornoutboots
02-10-2011, 12:25
if your interested in taking the Meyers Briggs to find your personal Metrics http://humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp It is a kinda neat!

wornoutboots
02-10-2011, 12:34
isn't that the Great thing about Living? deciding what you want to do at any given moment? if you want to shelter, shelter, tent, tent. Drift in & out of conversations, take days away or with ppl, stop in a town, keep on going? Play with it & make snap decisoins, see what you like at that particular time, it's fantastic to have the ability to search the depth of your being to free yourself from anything that might hold you back. In my mind that's what long distant hiking is all about. BTW - I'm a ESFJ

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2011, 12:37
Folks should remember though that personality types aren't written in stone, and that especially with borderline scores, people cross over to different "types" often, even day to day. Over years people may change their typical type as well. For example, many INTJ / INTP types will be right on the edge score wise with the J or P component. The same goes for the other components. It does give an overall flavor / sense of one's personality, but it's not the end-all of personality assessment or prediction of behavior.

Old Hiker
02-10-2011, 12:39

But isn't that so you can jump on them and steal their bacon and cheese?

Oh, wait...... that's me.

Never mind.

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2011, 12:41
isn't that the Great thing about Living? deciding what you want to do at any given moment? if you want to shelter, shelter, tent, tent. Drift in & out of conversations, take days away or with ppl, stop in a town, keep on going? Play with it & make snap decisoins, see what you like at that particular time, it's fantastic to have the ability to search the depth of your being to free yourself from anything that might hold you back. In my mind that's what long distant hiking is all about. BTW - I'm a ESFJ

Amazingly, I'm usually an INTP or INTJ (with very close scores though in all but T/F) and we have similar thoughts, although expressed differently. As humans, we are all much more the same than we are different.

GoonerYank
02-10-2011, 12:42
In most cases I am an introvert and that is one of the reasons I hike. It's must easier to choose when and where I want to interact with people. I'd be willing to stay the night in a shelter if there was only one other person or a couple of people staying that night. Larger groups tend to be my biggest issue. I'm not anti-social and I always hope that people can realize that when they meet me. Sometimes I just think solitude can be a very good thing and can help me come to terms with certain aspects of who I am.

sbhikes
02-10-2011, 12:44
I'm an introvert (INTP scored on two separate tests). I know exactly what you mean. I hiked the PCT where there are no shelters but there were still a lot of people, especially in trail towns. I enjoyed meeting and talking with the other hikers. It was one of the big highlights of my hike. But I never formed a group. I wanted to be alone. I felt like when I was alone I saw more, felt more, experienced more and remembered it better.

It was easy to maintain my solitude. When the conversation and gossip and loudness started to bug me, I retired to my private hotel room or my tent. I found setting up a tent, even at a trail angel's house or in a town gave me much better privacy and sleep.

On the trail, if yakky people followed me around too much, I made sure to run off really early in the morning and put some distance between us. Sometimes if someone I didn't like was taking a zero somewhere I wouldn't take a zero and that would effectively erase them from my life.

I hiked long days and made a lot more miles than the people who formed groups and smoked a lot of dope. Eventually I hiked through them all found myself totally alone most of the time, sometimes even in town. When I met another hiker it was like I had diarrhea of the mouth. I didn't realize how much the solitude was affecting me.

One side-effect of being so anti-social was that there was a bit of gossip about me. Some people were having a hard time "figuring me out." I overheard them say they couldn't figure out if I was some kind of genius with a PhD or if I was a moron who never finished high school. It hurt my feelings people were trying to pigeon hole me and gossping about me. Another reason not to get sucked into that whole cliquish drama. Buh-bye! See you at the border.

I really loved the whole experience nevertheless.

Sickmont
02-10-2011, 12:54
One side-effect of being so anti-social was that there was a bit of gossip about me. Some people were having a hard time "figuring me out." I overheard them say they couldn't figure out if I was some kind of genius with a PhD or if I was a moron who never finished high school. It hurt my feelings people were trying to pigeon hole me and gossping about me.

As a whole, people will always try to label what they don't understand. Its their way to get a grip on it. I've been labeled both of these things you mention as well. And apparently some of my friends say i tend to intimidate people a lot when they first see me. I cant help it that i'm a rather big guy who just doesnt talk or smile alot. At least not to strangers anyways.

BrianLe
02-10-2011, 13:22
Recognize that on the AT as a thru-hiker, conversations can be sort of inherently easier with two general classes of people: other thru's, and others that are interested. That can turn out to be a large chunk of those that you meet.

I suspect that even as an introvert you'll find it easy to connect with and bond with other thru's. It's a fantastic thing about long distance hiking, you meet folks that you have absolutely nothing in common with, different philosophies and backgrounds, etc, but you have this one experience so intensely in common that it feels like meeting a family member of a resident of the same village or something.

Other people are often interested in thru-hikers that they meet; some want to ask questions, others want to impress you with what they've done or know or whatever, but in any case this can be a sort of auto conversation generator, thus reducing social awkwardness.

I guess I'd label myself as an introvert who can disguise myself as a more functional social being at times. But be warned too that thru-hiking (especially if you do significant chunks of it solo) might just accentuate the aspect of you that "marches to a different drummer" and just finds it normal to be disconnected with folks around.

One final thought: consider starting your hike well ahead of the norm (like this month or at latest early March). You'll still meet people along the way but it's not as intense, as crowded that way.

Best of luck in any event!

SassyWindsor
02-10-2011, 13:28
Ditto on stealth camping.

Cookerhiker
02-10-2011, 13:35
Folks should remember though that personality types aren't written in stone, and that especially with borderline scores, people cross over to different "types" often, even day to day. Over years people may change their typical type as well. For example, many INTJ / INTP types will be right on the edge score wise with the J or P component. The same goes for the other components. It does give an overall flavor / sense of one's personality, but it's not the end-all of personality assessment or prediction of behavior.

That resonates. One of the times I took the test receiving my INTP, we had an all-day seminar led by a guy who had done a lot of research and explained the nuances and further subdivisions of the 4 categories. Turns out there are "I" types who act like "I" and other "Is" who act like they're an "E." I fell in the latter category but it always hard to overcome my introverted tendencies.

Rick500
02-10-2011, 13:43

INTJ bordering on INTP here. :)

I've only section hiked the AT a bit (a tiny bit, actually). I was completely opposed to staying in shelters until I got there. Then I thought it was good fun most of the time.

Spirit Walker
02-10-2011, 13:45
I am an extreme introvert - except on the trail or when surrounded by trail people. I saw a lot of people come out of their shells on the AT. You are surrounded by folks who share your goal and who are to a large extent sharing the same experience as you are. It makes a bond among people who in normal life would have little in common. I found that when I was on the AT, if I met someone once, they were no longer a stranger then next time we met. There's something about sleeping next to somebody, sharing snores and smells, to make him/her feel like a good friend in a very short time. If you spend a week with them, you'll feel like you've known them forever.

Old Hiker
02-10-2011, 13:48
I read through the posts and thought about this topic before venturing my bag of GORP (instead of 2 cents).

Like others, I'm reserved at first - basically a formative year thing of being 4'5" until high school or so and bullied every day. Now, 6'2", I'm still shy around people. I'll go out of my way to help people, but I don't offer the help unless I see a major problem starting. I like to sit around the edges and listen as well. My kids tell me I don't smile, that I'm frowning all the time, but I think my face is in neutral instead of frowning.

Part of my problem is partial hearing loss. In crowded situations, I can't follow a conversation in front of me due to the "white noise" from surrounding conversations. This makes me uneasy in social situations, so I tend to try and avoid them unless my wife drags me there.

Another part is my memory: I can't remember names to save my life unless I'm around them every day for quite a while. I'll remember your face probably for several centuries, but your name will be gone in less than 5 minutes. It's embarrassing to recognize a face, but not a name.

So, I tend to treat people like I'd like to be treated - respectfully, friendly, but not intrusively. Hope to see you on the trail in 2012!

Awol1970
02-10-2011, 13:57
Refrain from showers, burp and fart a great deal, and bring deep nose picking to a world class level -- that should do it.

Wowwwwww no wonder people avoid me both on and off the trail. I've always wondered...:cool:

Rick500
02-10-2011, 14:01
I read through the posts and thought about this topic before venturing my bag of GORP (instead of 2 cents).

Like others, I'm reserved at first - basically a formative year thing of being 4'5" until high school or so and bullied every day. Now, 6'2", I'm still shy around people. I'll go out of my way to help people, but I don't offer the help unless I see a major problem starting. I like to sit around the edges and listen as well. My kids tell me I don't smile, that I'm frowning all the time, but I think my face is in neutral instead of frowning.

Part of my problem is partial hearing loss. In crowded situations, I can't follow a conversation in front of me due to the "white noise" from surrounding conversations. This makes me uneasy in social situations, so I tend to try and avoid them unless my wife drags me there.

Another part is my memory: I can't remember names to save my life unless I'm around them every day for quite a while. I'll remember your face probably for several centuries, but your name will be gone in less than 5 minutes. It's embarrassing to recognize a face, but not a name.

So, I tend to treat people like I'd like to be treated - respectfully, friendly, but not intrusively. Hope to see you on the trail in 2012!

Wow, you have a very similar story to mine.

I believe I have some slight hearing loss, have trouble following conversations unless I'm very close.

Can't remember names (I momentarily forget names of people I've worked with for 10 years, occasionally!) but remember faces. In fact, I frequently tell people on meeting them, "you'll have to forgive me for forgetting your name next time we meet, but I will remember you."

And, I'm a little introverted by nature, but on the trail, after a word or two, I'm completely at ease with people usually.

AUhiker90
02-10-2011, 14:16
Trail folks are the best, stealth camp for a while if you want but i am sure you will find some real cool people that think your cool as well

Mr Boston
02-10-2011, 14:34
ISTJ

And I snore, loud!

Sickmont
02-10-2011, 14:44
According to that test, i is a INFJ.

Old Hiker
02-10-2011, 14:51
Once, I could not spell "ISTJ". Now, I ARE one!

maybe clem
02-10-2011, 18:00
I'm an INTP as well. I've taken the actual proctored MBTI, the humanmetrics test and at least two others online, all with the same results.

It's very interesting there's a preponderance of INTPs on this forum.

endubyu
02-10-2011, 19:08
It's very interesting there's a preponderance of INTPs on this forum.

Seems more than half and supposedly we make up only 1% of the population. But makes since that we hike doesn't it, to seek solitude? I've read where others in this thread are quiet at first and then become more talkative. Me, I'm just the opposite - I have no trouble talking when I first meet someone but after a few minutes, I'm done and ready to be alone again. I love the woods - the peace, tranquility, ...the QUIET!

Turtle Feet
02-10-2011, 19:33
INFJ's unite!!!

V Eight
02-10-2011, 19:58
ISTJ
I've never seen a test like that, did I pass :confused: :D

gollwoods
02-10-2011, 20:30
It never seemed awkward to me and I am introverted nothing unusual about a loner on the trail at all, probably more acceptance there than 99% of other pursuits I bet.
bring a journal or something to have something to occupy yourself and just go with the flow.

hikerboy57
02-10-2011, 20:41
INFJ's unite!!!
For some reason, this reminds me about joining the nonconformists club(I refuse).

Cookerhiker
02-10-2011, 20:48
So how many of my fellow "I" types grit your teeth, swallow hard, take a deep breath, and attend hiker gatherings e.g. SoRuck, PA Ruck, Franklin April Fools etc.? In particular, how was it the first time when you may not have known anyone? Did you come away breathing a sigh of relief "it's over!"?

Don't mind saying it was hard for me and still is. Having said that, I'm looking forward to the Roanoke get-together this weekend as long as I can stand in the corner and not talk to anyone.:o

V Eight
02-10-2011, 21:18
So how many of my fellow "I" types grit your teeth, swallow hard, take a deep breath, and attend hiker gatherings e.g. SoRuck, PA Ruck, Franklin April Fools etc.? In particular, how was it the first time when you may not have known anyone? Did you come away breathing a sigh of relief "it's over!"?

Don't mind saying it was hard for me and still is. Having said that, I'm looking forward to the Roanoke get-together this weekend as long as I can stand in the corner and not talk to anyone.:o

I so wanted to go to Soruck, but the though of being surrounded by all those
people I did not know was just too much for me.

On the other hand My next section will be from Dicks creek to Winding stair
just in time for the Aprilfools bash. For me deference in these two gatherings is
in Franklin, if it all gets to much I can just fad to my room for awhile.

As for the test in that link. I have really never had seen anything like it. After I took
the test, I read some of the “readings” on my type. It really uncanny just how
accurate they where, at least as they pertain to me.

OliveOil
02-10-2011, 21:42
I like this thread. After reading it I started looking into all this personality type stuff, and I found out that I'm an INFP. It makes a lot of sense. Looking back on my thru hike some of my happiest times were when I was in southern Maine late september. Days went by where I wouldn't see another soul. I loved the loneliness, but I missed having a constant as well.

Toolshed
02-10-2011, 22:38
You'll quickly notice two types of people hiking the AT. Generally speaking they are:

1- Shelter people
2- Tent people

Shelter people tend to be more extroverted and gregarious while tent people are more introverted and taciturn. Of course, as with all things associated with human nature, there are exceptions.

Enjoy your thru-hike.

UMMMmmmmmmmm.... Please don't forget Hammock people. As you may or may not be aware, "Hammock people" aka "people of the hammocks" or "Hammockers" or "swingers" or "hangers" Are a race of people that advanced more quickly through the Darwinism effect than other bipeds and learned to stand high, and swing from the trees instead of crawling on the ground like the genus "cockroaches" or tripping around in crowded shelters and peeing off the deck. Just thought I would this point of clarification....;)

wornoutboots
02-10-2011, 23:02
Click below to find out who some of your famous fellow personalitiies are. This may not be good for all : o D Apparently I am a like George Washington, Sam Walton, Dolly Madsion & Martha Stewart to name a few : o /

http://keirsey.com/4temps/guardian_overview.asp

Spirit Walker
02-11-2011, 00:01

Every year I say I don't want to go - either to the Ruck or the Gathering - because I just don't think I can handle the crowds of people. In the weeks before I have serious doubts about the event. And then we go, I see all my friends, and I have a great time, because I'm surrounded by the only people in the world who halfway understand me. The first times, before I knew anybody, were really difficult to force myself to go, but only time I really had a hard time at the actual event was the year after our CDT hike. We had spent six months with just the two of us, and going to the Ruck two months later I couldn't handle the 100 or so people who were there. I did a lot of short walks and spent time away from the group. But in the end, I was glad I went.

yari
02-11-2011, 00:57

The problem with all personality testing is the malleability of the material. That being said, I consistently test as an INFJ, go figure.

yari
02-11-2011, 01:01

Less than 2% of the population. Ya freak. :D

Firefighter503
02-11-2011, 08:25
ENTJ here. The definitions are pretty good.

10-K
02-11-2011, 08:43
I have a theory that internet forums like this compound the problem of being an introvert because you can get your "people fix" without having to actually interact.

Also, I know in my own life I've experienced moments of indecisiveness when a decision needs to be made on the spot because I'm used to having time to think before responding (replying to an email or thread gives me space to really think something through because the other party isn't standing there waiting on a response...)

I don't avoid things like parties, Trail Days, etc. because I am scared of interacting - I avoid them because I don't like crowds in general.

Sickmont
02-11-2011, 08:51
Less than 2% of the population. Ya freak. :D

Thank you. Thank you very much! :D

Cookerhiker
02-11-2011, 09:32
[QUOTE=10-K;1112251]I have a theory that internet forums like this compound the problem of being an introvert because you can get your "people fix" without having to actually interact.

Also, I know in my own life I've experienced moments of indecisiveness when a decision needs to be made on the spot because I'm used to having time to think before responding (replying to an email or thread gives me space to really think something through because the other party isn't standing there waiting on a response....[QUOTE]

I pretty much agree. I am not a very fast or smart thinker on the spot, a problem that plagued me in my working career; I just don't process information that rapidly. I'm much better contemplating a while before crafting a response. That probably accounts not only the "I" but also the "P."

garbanz
02-11-2011, 09:57
Im an introvert also. Id make a great southbounder but I want to start in 3 weeks!

RGB
02-11-2011, 11:02
I'm an INTJ. SOBO here I come!

Sarcasm the elf
02-11-2011, 14:06

Does anyone know where the article was published, or where it can be found? Sounds like an interesting read.

I consistently test either INTP or INFP, had never thought of this as a factor in why I like the woods, but it does make sense.

maybe clem
02-11-2011, 15:16
Seems more than half and supposedly we make up only 1% of the population. But makes since that we hike doesn't it, to seek solitude?

I think Internet message forums self-select for introversion. We're here after all instead of off doing something with others in person. I'm just surprised that there are so many INTPs here, specifically.

Hoop
02-11-2011, 17:00
Dusted off the folder in my desk - INTP

Luddite
02-11-2011, 17:04
I guess Im an introvert too. Kind of a misanthrope too...I'm working on it.

rickb
02-11-2011, 19:54
Does anyone know where the article was published, or where it can be found? Sounds like an interesting read.

I consistently test either INTP or INFP, had never thought of this as a factor in why I like the woods, but it does make sense.

The study as done by O. W. Lacy.

The Appalachian Trail Museum might have a copy to post. I couldn't google it.

sbhikes
02-11-2011, 21:34
I didn't go to Kickoff before hiking the PCT. I went after my first big hike. I barely spoke to anyone. I don't have any desire to go again.

How many of us INTPs are so antisocial and misanthropic that we don't use cellphones? Or am I the only one. There's nothing worth talking about that requires interrupting me. I will also NEVER get a job that requires me to talk to people on the phone or even know how to use a fancy phone with a lot of buttons.

It's a crazy fantasy of mine to own a cabin in the woods all alone with nobody to bother me.

endubyu
02-11-2011, 22:05
How many of us INTPs are so antisocial and misanthropic that we don't use cellphones? Or am I the only one

Certainly not alone - I avoid phones when possible. When I'm dating someone I never call them (might be why my relationships last only a couple of months at most). They'll call and we'll say a few words and then there's that awkward quiet, and she'll say "talk to me", and I'll reply "about what?" I mean hell you called me. This has been a very interesting thread.

Erin
02-11-2011, 22:07
ESTJ here. I had the test given to me years ago. Probably why I don't enjoy hiking alone, am super organized with lists and have to touch everything.
Some of my best friends are INFP.s that that is a good thing.

Second Half
02-11-2011, 22:07
INTP here also.

Diane, the trick to owning a cellphone (or any kind of phone for that matter) is not to feel obligated to answer it when it rings. That's why god invented voicemail. It's YOUR phone, it's YOUR money, so just turn the damn thing off or ignore the ringing.

I think we introverts shouldn't let the rest of the world shame us for not wanting to engage them.

endubyu
02-11-2011, 22:08
I think Internet message forums self-select for introversion. We're here after all instead of off doing something with others in person. I'm just surprised that there are so many INTPs here, specifically.

Agreed yep yep

Luddite
02-11-2011, 22:16
How many of us INTPs are so antisocial and misanthropic that we don't use cellphones?

lol ME! And I can't stand hanging out with people who are constantly typing message on them.

Carbo
02-11-2011, 22:34
When I feel like talking to someone on the phone, I'll call and say something like "Hi, I don't know what to say." Usually a good conversation will follow.

I don't know if I'm an introvert or extrovert, but I like people who say silly things and like to hike.

endubyu
02-11-2011, 22:52
okay another curve. I test at INTJ but ISTP fits me as well. almost as though I cycle through; INTJ>INTP>ISTP>INTJ. Anyone else? Several traits are common. I've never looked at this stuff before - it's interesting to me. And so true to our nature, I'm eat up with it :)

I'm bipolar and hypoglycemic btw

RGB
02-12-2011, 00:10
Certainly not alone - I avoid phones when possible. When I'm dating someone I never call them (might be why my relationships last only a couple of months at most). They'll call and we'll say a few words and then there's that awkward quiet, and she'll say "talk to me", and I'll reply "about what?" I mean hell you called me. This has been a very interesting thread.

Haha I'm exactly the same way. I just CANNOT have a good conversation over the phone. My relationships are very short-lived. A big characteristic of my type is that I don't hang out with anyone that doesn't have anything to offer, emotionally or otherwise. That has been generally true throughout my life.

Lau
02-12-2011, 07:35
I did a long walk last year and the hardest part of the entire trip was being around people who like to walk, eat and sleep together.

I slept alone whenever I could to give myself space and quiet, I walked hard for the first couple of hours every morning to put distance between me and other people and in towns I would take myself off to eat where other people chose not to go.

I enjoy being alone so I create it as much as I can.

Furlough
02-12-2011, 08:20
Looks like I am an ISTP.

and what does imo mean?
IMO = In my opinion.

yari
02-12-2011, 10:58
I have a theory that internet forums like this compound the problem of being an introvert because you can get your "people fix" without having to actually interact.

I avoid them because I don't like crowds in general.

Why should being an introvert be considered a problem? Actually, I think it is seen as a problem in the US because so many people in this country don't know when to shut up. Which is one of the reasons I don't like being in crowds either. For me it causes sensory overload.

Bob McCaw
02-12-2011, 10:59
I did a long walk last year and the hardest part of the entire trip was being around people who like to walk, eat and sleep together.

I had a similar problem feeling comfortable around groups of several hikers that seemed to travel shelter to shelter. It can be tough even when they try to include you in the group. There is something about the dynamic of groups that I generally don't enjoy.

OTOH, I found that I frequently made friends with other hikers and that I mostly gravitated towards shelters at night, especially if someone I knew was there. I'm on the introverted side (INFP).

yari
02-12-2011, 11:06
INTP here also.

Diane, the trick to owning a cellphone (or any kind of phone for that matter) is not to feel obligated to answer it when it rings. That's why god invented voicemail. It's YOUR phone, it's YOUR money, so just turn the damn thing off or ignore the ringing.

I think we introverts shouldn't let the rest of the world shame us for not wanting to engage them.

I am with you on letting the darned thing ring also. Just because the caller wants to talk to me doesn't mean I want to talk to them! I make no apologies for that either. I don't have a cell phone and have no desire to have one, much to my boss' dismay. He just can't get his head around the fact that I am really good with computers and don't want a cell phone. I don't have the heart to tell him flat out that I don't want to talk to him every time he gets a thought. I have told him that if he wants me to have one he can pay for it and pay for me to be on call 24/7. Luckily he is way to cheap to go there.

10-K
02-12-2011, 11:07
Another thing about being an introvert is that they sometimes give off an aloof or snobbish vibe which is really shyness/fear.

FWIW, being shy is really a form of self-centeredness - most of the time when shy people feel like the spotlight is on them no one is even thinking about them.

(I'm speaking in the 3rd person but generally I see myself as shy as well so what I'm saying applies to me as well.)

woodsy
02-12-2011, 11:11
I

It's a crazy fantasy of mine to own a cabin in the woods all alone with nobody to bother me.

Not crazy at all, I have thought the same thing for ever.

And there is still time......

4shot
02-12-2011, 11:30
FWIW, being shy is really a form of self-centeredness - most of the time when shy people feel like the spotlight is on them no one is even thinking about them.

(I'm speaking in the 3rd person but generally I see myself as shy as well so what I'm saying applies to me as well.)

when you are young, you are concerned with and worry about what others think of you. As you mature, you don't care what others think of you. As you mature and beome wise, you understand that they weren't thinking about you at all.;)

10-K
02-12-2011, 11:38
when you are young, you are concerned with and worry about what others think of you. As you mature, you don't care what others think of you. As you mature and beome wise, you understand that they weren't thinking about you at all.;)

Yes, and making the leap from "I don't care what people think." to "It doesn't matter what people think." was significant for me too...

I give meditation practice full credit for the acceptance I feel for myself and others.

garlic08
02-12-2011, 12:26
I've spent a lot of time on trails with a friend who is extremely introverted in "real life". He's the opposite while hiking. Now I can see that he makes friends easily among those who share his interests and activities.

I think hiking appeals to all personality types fairly equally.

Sassafras Lass
02-12-2011, 13:13
ISFJ here. This is a very interesting thread!

Sassafras Lass
02-12-2011, 13:20

Agree.

Though my lack of confidence the past 2 years has been due to my mangled mouth - if I could get some dentures or something it would help tremendously.

But I do go back and forth between feeling confident and able to handle myself in a good manner (I'm in retail) and feeling like I want to hide away from customers.

RGB
02-12-2011, 13:56
Why should being an introvert be considered a problem? Actually, I think it is seen as a problem in the US because so many people in this country don't know when to shut up.
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap :clap:clap:clap:clap

RockDoc
02-12-2011, 14:46
ISTP
Good company: Amelia Earhardt rocks!

I liked this question:

You get pleasure from solitary walks
YES NO

maybe clem
02-12-2011, 16:01
Another thing about being an introvert is that they sometimes give off an aloof or snobbish vibe which is really shyness/fear.

While that might be the perception I don't agree that is the actual state of the introvert. It's merely a different energy, and thoughts and attention turned inward. Extroverts tend to assume everyone is like them or should be like them, so there must be something wrong with anyone exhibiting different behavior. :rolleyes:

maybe clem
02-12-2011, 16:06
How many of us INTPs are so antisocial and misanthropic that we don't use cellphones?

I hate phones in general and cell phones with a passion. I agree with ignoring it or keeping it turned off but people are so accustomed to instant access now that I've noticed that really angers others.

If you want to put me in a Starfleet uniform and slap a combadge on my chest that's one thing but until then, no thanks.

4shot
02-12-2011, 19:28
Look at all the replies from all of us introverts...do you suppose the extroverts are out hiking?:)

emerald
02-12-2011, 20:17
I am with you on letting the darned thing ring also. Just because the caller wants to talk to me doesn't mean I want to talk to them!

Good for you!:)

I don't have a cell phone and have no desire to have one, much to my boss' dismay. I don't have the heart to tell him flat out that I don't want to talk to him every time he gets a thought.

I'm nearly certain you don't feel the need to text it him to him either!:)

I have told him that if he wants me to have one he can pay for it and pay for me to be on call 24/7. Luckily he is way to cheap to go there.

Sounds like a good arrangement to me.:)

Cookerhiker
02-13-2011, 22:05
I have and use a cell phone for the simple reason that I chose not to get a landline when I bought my house. No landline + no TV = $avings.

But I don't spend much time on it.

I'm amazed how many of us INTPs are here on WB.

Delta-Dawn
02-13-2011, 22:56
So am I. Dead on accurate for me. :rolleyes:

LordoftheWings
02-14-2011, 01:38
Wow, I just read the whole 5 pages and I see I'm WAY out numbered. Twice over the years I was tested to ESTP. I see a very interesting time in my future.

@ Mr. Nixon, I have no idea what you go though with any social anxiety. I was always the little kid that threw rocks at Bees nests and pee'd on the electric fence. BTW, The ESTP population has no idea how annoying we are at trying to get you to talk, so If I poke you with a stick until you stab me, I'll just apologize up front and say I'm sorry:)

zombiegrad
02-14-2011, 10:58
I'm an INFP and for a year I did temperament testing with MBTI at a career center at a large southwestern university. Fun stuff! For us introverts, it's not about shyness per se but about feeling energized when we're by ourselves, being quite entertained by the rich inner world of our thoughts. I'm pretty dominantly introverted but I definitely enjoy company, some people more than others. That's what really excites me about the AT; you get the opportunity for solitude AND companionship. You decide! I'm sure the AT draws a wide variety of people and personalities, so a lot of opportunity to meet new and similar/different people. We dall o have some basic similarities, though; respect/appreciation for the outdoors, tolerance for solitude...what else would y'all say?

As for those of us who are socially shy or anxious, I bet the trail experience can bring out sides of us that we didn't know we had. Hiking the AT can even be a transformative experience! I'm taking a year off from grad school and a thru hike is a welcome change of pace from the academic bubble I was living in. I had some reservations about starting a thru hike in mid march because of the crowds, but now I'm seeing the plus side of all that good company ;)

ebandlam
02-14-2011, 11:16
I am ENFP.

But this is besides the point. Regardless of what you are, you are who you are. Nothing is going to change that. Being an extrovert is no better than being an introvert or vise versa. I am an extrovert, but my good friends are introverts (and no I don't talk their ears off). When I took the Myers Briggs test several years ago, the administrator walked us through each dimension - but one thing she said still resonates. It is not what you are but how you deal with it that matters. When I am stressed, I like solitude - helps me bring focus back in my life.

Just my 2 cents - or less... :)

Oleskool
02-14-2011, 12:01

As true as it gets.

Thenixon
02-14-2011, 19:20
Thanks for the responses everyone, such a variety of experiences and perspectives. Here I am quitting my job and packing all my belongings away to go on a six month walk, and what worries me most is that there will be a lot more people around than normal. :rolleyes:

90% mental, right?

wornoutboots
02-14-2011, 21:45
Not crazy at all, I have thought the same thing for ever.

And there is still time......

Yeah Me too but I haven't learnt the banjo Yet :)

jlo
02-15-2011, 00:34
I would add: "are extroverts aware how annoying they can be to introverts?"

Good question!

LordoftheWings
02-15-2011, 01:22
BTW, most of my co-workers are extro's ---most of my friends are intros

Fats
02-17-2011, 02:31
Hard to ask the question, but here i go.

If you fear and actively avoid interactions with strangers or even acquaintances in everyday life, I'm wondering what your trail experience was like.

I know I'll be sharing shelters with others most of the way. I'm not worried about sleeping, just the awkward time between the end of hiking and sleepy time. And I don't actually hate people, honest.

Any insight would be appreciated.

My plan is to literally hide in the woods. I don't mind some interaction, but with my aspergers I don't act "normal" around others. I have issues reading real emotion, and tend to assume the worst in most situations.

I can come across as crass, or hateful, even when I don't mean to be. Heck especially when I don't mean to be.

(I'm really considering making up a pamphlet to hand out to people so people won't hate me.)

One of the things I'm most afraid of on my upcoming thru hike is going to the bathroom. It has me to the point where I am going to need medication to go.
I've read through books, and online stories, and so far only one person has mentioned going to the bathroom, so I keep telling myself it can't be that big of a deal.

Second is sleeping around other people. I can't see myself being able to sleep in close quarters.

I'm making my Hammock out of camo, and literally hiding in the woods as much as possible.

Brad

10-K
02-17-2011, 09:15
My plan is to literally hide in the woods. I don't mind some interaction, but with my aspergers I don't act "normal" around others. I have issues reading real emotion, and tend to assume the worst in most situations.

I can come across as crass, or hateful, even when I don't mean to be. Heck especially when I don't mean to be.

(I'm really considering making up a pamphlet to hand out to people so people won't hate me.)

One of the things I'm most afraid of on my upcoming thru hike is going to the bathroom. It has me to the point where I am going to need medication to go.
I've read through books, and online stories, and so far only one person has mentioned going to the bathroom, so I keep telling myself it can't be that big of a deal.

Second is sleeping around other people. I can't see myself being able to sleep in close quarters.

I'm making my Hammock out of camo, and literally hiding in the woods as much as possible.

Brad

You'll fit right in. :)

Railroad King
02-19-2011, 00:51
I'm quiet but comfortable around people. I can listen to people talk about the stupidest stuff for hours and be entertained. I guess I'm a mild introvert. I enjoy spending most of my time alone. Maybe it helps in hiking. Maybe more introverts finish because they can entertain themselves with their thoughts better and fight off the day to day grind of the miles. While on the trail it was comforting to know that 100% of the people you ran into shared your interest so it wasn't like there was a major barrier to breaking the ice with everyone.

DapperD
02-19-2011, 02:01
when you are young, you are concerned with and worry about what others think of you. As you mature, you don't care what others think of you. As you mature and beome wise, you understand that they weren't thinking about you at all.;)This is very true. One of the additional unfortunate aspects of this though is that depression for many begins to rear it's ugly head:(

RockDoc
02-24-2011, 18:38
very perceptive comment...

This is very true. One of the additional unfortunate aspects of this though is that depression for many begins to rear it's ugly head:(

The other side of the coin for introverts is struggling with depression and often passive/aggressive emotions. We can lash out in strange ways towards the extroverts who annoy the heck out of us.

-SEEKER-
02-26-2011, 10:20
very perceptive comment...

The other side of the coin for introverts is struggling with depression and often passive/aggressive emotions. We can lash out in strange ways towards the extroverts who annoy the heck out of us.

Amen to that! Coming from a ISTJ that has been with a ESFJ for almost 16 years!:eek:

sbhikes
02-26-2011, 12:09
Brad, not sure what you fear about going to the bathroom. My experience is that everything comes out a lot faster and easier in the squatting position, so it actually works better than normal life. There's a good book out there called how to s--- in the woods. It's really funny. Offers a lot of helpful techniques.

Fats
02-27-2011, 01:36
Brad, not sure what you fear about going to the bathroom. My experience is that everything comes out a lot faster and easier in the squatting position, so it actually works better than normal life. There's a good book out there called how to s--- in the woods. It's really funny. Offers a lot of helpful techniques.

I suppose you could call it stage fright.

I'll figure out what to do. I can go in the woods, I just don't want an audience (accidental or otherwise).

Brad

RGB
02-27-2011, 01:51
I suppose you could call it stage fright.

I'll figure out what to do. I can go in the woods, I just don't want an audience (accidental or otherwise).

Brad

It's really easy to find a spot where you know you won't be seen. I have bad stage fright in public restrooms, but I didn't have a problem in the woods. Just find a rock/log to sit on and think of the scene in Temple of Doom where Indiana Jones being chased by boulders.

echoes
02-27-2011, 02:17
I'm introverted, but I'm not afraid of people or anything. When I did the Colorado Trail a couple years ago I went out there hoping to not run into many people and wanting to be alone the entire time. However, meeting the other thru-hikers and making new friends quickly became my favorite part of the trail. I just have a little anxiety over that initial conversation with people, so sometimes I hope they won't stop to talk, especially the non-thru-hikers. I get tired of answering the typical questions about how far I'm going, how much food I carry, etc. I always try to be friendly though.

wornoutboots
02-27-2011, 14:36
Not sure about the relieving yourself in the woods thing, somertimes, you just gotta go? As a matter of fact I was a little turned around one evening near a double blaze a few miles North of Spivey Gap & I hadn't seen anyone all day just then I happened to notice a guy pissing off the side of the trail, low & behold the guy helped me by confirming that I was still on the AT. Oh BTW, Thanks 10-K : o )

blitz1
02-28-2011, 07:29
interesting string, actually motivated me to stop being a lurker just reading posts, and register to join this community!
some people are introverted because they just like being alone, others because they'd like to be with others, but feel awkward for one reason or another. i'm a little of both, but one of the contributing issues here is a point rasied by a previous poster - i have a major problem learning and matching new peoples faces and names. If i meet just one new person and can talk to them for a while and connect i'm ok, but if it's 2 or more i'm just not going to remember names, and the next time i see them, i'll have no idea who they are or where i met them. turns out there's a specialized area of the brain that is responsible for face recognition. in about 2% of the population this region is relatively atrophic, so no matter how hard the person wants to recall the name that matches the face, it will be difficult or even impossible (until the association gets fixed, which requires repeated exposures). so naturally if you're in that 2%, others will likely think you're rude and dont care enough to rmember their names, and you may be more of an introvert than if you were lucky enough to have a larger face-recognition area.
sorry for the lecture, and yes, i'm a scientist, thought this may be interesting to those of you who are also in the 2% (i bet we're way over-represented among thru-hikers!).
i took the test and am INTJ, which certainly fits me. planning to start AT April 26 (can't go before then due to other obligations).

10-K
02-28-2011, 07:50
Not sure about the relieving yourself in the woods thing, somertimes, you just gotta go? As a matter of fact I was a little turned around one evening near a double blaze a few miles North of Spivey Gap & I hadn't seen anyone all day just then I happened to notice a guy pissing off the side of the trail, low & behold the guy helped me by confirming that I was still on the AT. Oh BTW, Thanks 10-K : o )

You're welcome (and that seems to happen to me frequently..) :)

kombiguy
06-29-2012, 20:20
What if you're not introverted, but just generally don't like people? I'm neither shy, not socially inept; I just don't care for most people. How does that figure into the Meyer-Briggs or whatever?

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 20:32
What if you're not introverted, but just generally don't like people? I'm neither shy, not socially inept; I just don't care for most people. How does that figure into the Meyer-Briggs or whatever?

My advice would be to avoid the shelters or choose another trail if you dislike people that much. The AT is hiked by a lot of people in some areas and it's unrealistic to think you will be by yourself. You might want to opt for motels rather than hostels too.

HikerMom58
06-29-2012, 20:46
My advice would be to avoid the shelters or choose another trail if you dislike people that much. The AT is hiked by a lot of people in some areas and it's unrealistic to think you will be by yourself. You might want to opt for motels rather than hostels too.

This is an interesting thread to say the least.....IMO (in my opinion) I like this advice, if you don't care for most people. I am just the opposite. When I hike, I can't stand to be alone for more than a minute. I get so excited when I see other people on the trail. I'm one of those annoying extroverts. :banana

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 20:52
I am just the opposite. When I hike, I can't stand to be alone for more than a minute. I get so excited when I see other people on the trail. I'm one of those annoying extroverts. :banana
Your type is hard to shake............lol

I enjoy company at camp but I prefer to hike alone for most of the day. Having someone talk my ear off on the trail drives me nuts at times.

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 20:56

I enjoy company at camp but I prefer to hike alone for most of the day. Having someone talk my ear off on the trail drives me nuts at times.

Man, I agree with you on this one! I like to be opinionated on WB, but when I'm out hiking - I'm there to enjoy the scenery.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 21:02

I enjoy company at camp but I prefer to hike alone for most of the day. Having someone talk my ear off on the trail drives me nuts at times.easy fix,just say excuse me,while they watch you put ear plugs in,of coarse the real extros,will just knock knock knock,on the side of your head ,or pull the ear plug out,then put it back when done speakin,there is no know cure for a chaty,except the buddy bear system.;)

kombiguy
06-29-2012, 21:24

Oh, I do avoid shelters, and will on the trail. And I don't really see myself as the hostel type. I don't expect to be by myself, nor am I unsociable to the point of unpleasantness. I was just curious as to whether the psych types had, with all of their tests, a classification that was neither "shy" nor "introvert."

ChinMusic
06-29-2012, 21:27
I was just curious as to whether the psych types had, with all of their tests, a classification that was neither "shy" nor "introvert."

I think those types miss Judge Wapner while on the trail.........

WingedMonkey
06-29-2012, 21:29
Oh, I do avoid shelters, and will on the trail. And I don't really see myself as the hostel type. I don't expect to be by myself, nor am I unsociable to the point of unpleasantness. I was just curious as to whether the psych types had, with all of their tests, a classification that was neither "shy" nor "introvert."

Yeah, I noticed you weren't asking for hiking advise, but where you fit on the scale. Can't tell you the whole scale thing seems about as logical as astrology.
:sun

hikerboy57
06-29-2012, 21:39
Id say a seven.yes,definitely a seven.
Maybe a virgo,too.

10-K
06-29-2012, 21:47

Generally. I mean as a rule, I'll choose a hotel over a hostel because I like my privacy, a TV I can control, my own shower and bathroom, and I really-really hate to sit around waiting on a ride to town and then have to wait on a van full of other people to finish their shopping so we can all go sit back at the hostel again.

Also, at a decent hotel there is coffee 24/7 and a "free" continental breakfast - both super nice touches.

Nothing against hostels - I have stayed at several and enjoyed myself. It's just my druther.

rocketsocks
06-29-2012, 21:49
Now I'm not anti Tween,but I don't think it's a good idea to talk about the Tweens,they might get mad...

V Eight
06-30-2012, 08:39
I really don't give these type of test much credence. Manipulation of the questions and answers to produce just about any desired result.

One thing I do know is the older I get, there seems to be less people that I can tolerate for long. It's not even a young vs old, male or female or anything else.

I also don't expect to be tolerated by everyone on the planet either.

Capt Nat
06-30-2012, 19:34
INTJ There, are you happy? Now you folks leave me alone!!! Can't we just mind our own business???

RockDoc
06-30-2012, 20:15
I recommend the book "Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking" by Susan Cain

It does away with the misconceptions about introverts, such as that we are shy or just don't like to talk. She cites research that finds that introversion shows itself even in the baby's crib; it's called a "high reactive" personality. The just of it is that introverts have enough going on in their head that extra input causes a negative reaction. Yes, the opposite is true for extroverts! Not much is going on in there, so they need stimulation. No wonder why the greatest inventors, scientists, artists, writers, and perhaps hikers rate strong in the introvert category.

Bootbanger
06-30-2012, 20:39
Just be yourself. If you want to be by yourself that is fine with me. If you would like to have a conversation, that is also fine with me. To me, everyone deserves the utmost respect until they prove that they do not deserve it. When I start my hike next year I plan on enjoying my time on the trail. I can enjoy it with the company of others or I can enjoy it by myself.

tdoczi
06-30-2012, 20:52
I recommend the book "Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking" by Susan Cain

It does away with the misconceptions about introverts, such as that we are shy or just don't like to talk. She cites research that finds that introversion shows itself even in the baby's crib; it's called a "high reactive" personality. The just of it is that introverts have enough going on in their head that extra input causes a negative reaction. Yes, the opposite is true for extroverts! Not much is going on in there, so they need stimulation. No wonder why the greatest inventors, scientists, artists, writers, and perhaps hikers rate strong in the introvert category.

i love it when something thats always been obvious to me is confirmed by science. i might have to read this.

MuddyWaters
06-30-2012, 21:04
Im pretty introverted myself, ISTJ. But when around people I have things in common with, no problem. I'll talk their ears off. On the trail, I converse freely with others. Everyone talks about water sources, shelters, distances, weather, hostels, gear, when and where they started, how long on the trail, etc. If you dont want to to talk, no problem, dont. But talk flows really easily from most people.

Sometimes a small gesture like sharing a bear hang or food will open conversation that will flow for hours, even from introverts.

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 07:08
I think those types miss Judge Wapner while on the trail.........

**Wipes coffee from laptop**

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 07:10
...seems about as logical as astrology.
:sun

Hey now! Don't be busting on astrology! It's as real as rasslin'! :cool:

Astro
07-12-2012, 09:56
ENTJ for what is worth. Still do not feel need to hike with anyone else, but do enjoy it when more people are on the trail just from a safety perspective in case something goes wrong (rattle snakes, bears, injury).

Suckerfish
07-12-2012, 10:05
I think most who thru hike the AT are introverts, otherwise they would have bailed out after 3 weeks of isolationism 10-14 hours a day walking alone in the woods.

I think it's perfectly natural for anyone to want some form of human interaction on the trail, especially the thru hikers, however like anything it all depends on the types of people your interacting with. I think most on the trail connect with other thru hikers more than anything, they all reflect each others personalities to some degree and bond and become friends, even if their only time spent is at the shelter at night or at a camp spot.

I have never thru hiked the AT, only section hiked, people think I am an extrovert simply because I am good with strangers and can talk to anyone, however I am truly an introvert. I prefer to be alone than with a crowd and usually set up my tent away from the shelter. Most people I meet I do not find interesting, however the few I do we bond instantly.

brian039
07-12-2012, 11:58
I think most who thru hike the AT are introverts, otherwise they would have bailed out after 3 weeks of isolationism 10-14 hours a day walking alone in the woods.

The ones who start early or go south probably experience some isolation but as someone who left late March I can tell you that I was never isolated and had to plan my day around walking alone. Stopping several times a day to talk to other thru-hikers, section hikers, and day hikers was common. I definitely talked to fewer people per day than in my average daily life but I never felt alone. There are over 1 million people who hike on the AT every year, it is truly the interstate highway of trails! And at any given time on the trail you can see a house, road, hear cars, dogs barking, lawn mowers, etc... Civilization is all around you. And I would describe most thru hikers as extroverts or at least they seemed that way on the trail. Maybe something about thru hiking just makes introverts more extroverted?

Cookerhiker
07-13-2012, 08:54
...I enjoy company at camp but I prefer to hike alone for most of the day. Having someone talk my ear off on the trail drives me nuts at times.

On a 4 day section hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=60358) in PA, I met a woman day-hiking just before my NOBO ascent of Lehigh Gap. From the moment we met, she talked non-stop starting with the entire 1 mile 1,000' ascent. Trying to be polite, I conversed with her, not my preference on a steep uphill climb with a full pack (she only had a light daypack. It was like that the rest of the day; 10 miles later at the Delps Trail intersection, I was exhausted but not from the hiking! She turned around at that point (after fetching me water, nice gesture) and my energy returned on the remaining 6 miles to LeRoy Smith Shelter.

For the record, INTP in the 3 times I've taken the tests. Reportedly unusual for an accountant (;)) and my GF insists I can't be an "I."

HikerMom58
07-13-2012, 09:59

Well, in my own defense, you don't know that I would drive you nuts, until you meet me. You actually might LIKE me talking a lot because I'm interested in the person, I just met.... I really don't know WHY but I really like getting to know everyone I meet, as much as possible. I interested in things like... where are you from? why are you out hiking? how much do you hike? do you have a supportive hiking family? I think you get the point. Soooo if you don't like talking about yourself or sharing about YOURSELF, I would drive you crazy. NO DOUBT. Having said that tho, I'm really good at reading people. I would NOT be pulling out ear plugs. I'm sure I would get the "vibe" LONG before I would see earplugs. I read body language really well 2.
Once I get the feeling that you are an antisocial type, you would have to TRY REALLY HARD to get my attention b/c I would avoid you like the plague.
No one likes rejection.......... I wouldn't be the type to be coming back for more. I'm not a "in your face" type person.

My husband and daughter are introverts and they do get annoyed with me for talking too much at times. They also can't believe that I find people sooo interesting. I will stop and talk to people on the trail, KNOWING that I will never see them again in my life, BUT, I still enjoy the interaction soo much. I will say to my husband and daughter, "Wasn't that an interesting convo?" (dumb question b/c they looked completely bored..) I think to myself, every person is special, has a "story" and if they are willing to share, I'm all ears and find them interesting. My husband and daughter think it's a WASTE of time. NO WAY!! Interacting with people, for me, energizes me. I would crawl in a hole and die if I couldn't interact with people. People that have something to HIDE, very quickly RUN from me- I find that interesting as well, b/c I do not judge people or reject people, at all, based on information they share with me.... I know it comes from intense fear... it's OK. When people share with me, I feel honored and privileged....People, on the trail, are some of the MOST interesting people to meet. Blah, Blah, Blah...;0)

kayak karl
07-13-2012, 10:19
a day hike came up to us and told use we were a very laid-back, quiet and mellow group of people. she asked if all trail hikers are like this? Hal said "after 20 miles, in 90 degrees, in Maine, YES"

bamboo bob
07-16-2012, 09:16
if your interested in taking the Meyers Briggs to find your personal Metrics http://humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp It is a kinda neat!
Don't you think those tests are so much HR nonsense? Would you rather read a book or go to a party? Really, maybe sometimes one and sometimes the other.
Pure BS to collect consulting fees.

ChinMusic
07-16-2012, 11:31
Well, in my own defense, you don't know that I would drive you nuts, until you meet me. You actually might LIKE me talking a lot because I'm interested in the person, I just met.... I really don't know WHY but I really like getting to know everyone I meet, as much as possible. I interested in things like... where are you from? why are you out hiking? how much do you hike? do you have a supportive hiking family? I think you get the point. Soooo if you don't like talking about yourself or sharing about YOURSELF, I would drive you crazy. NO DOUBT. Having said that tho, I'm really good at reading people. I would NOT be pulling out ear plugs. I'm sure I would get the "vibe" LONG before I would see earplugs. I read body language really well 2.
Once I get the feeling that you are an antisocial type, you would have to TRY REALLY HARD to get my attention b/c I would avoid you like the plague.
No one likes rejection.......... I wouldn't be the type to be coming back for more. I'm not a "in your face" type person.

My husband and daughter are introverts and they do get annoyed with me for talking too much at times. They also can't believe that I find people sooo interesting. I will stop and talk to people on the trail, KNOWING that I will never see them again in my life, BUT, I still enjoy the interaction soo much. I will say to my husband and daughter, "Wasn't that an interesting convo?" (dumb question b/c they looked completely bored..) I think to myself, every person is special, has a "story" and if they are willing to share, I'm all ears and find them interesting. My husband and daughter think it's a WASTE of time. NO WAY!! Interacting with people, for me, energizes me. I would crawl in a hole and die if I couldn't interact with people. People that have something to HIDE, very quickly RUN from me- I find that interesting as well, b/c I do not judge people or reject people, at all, based on information they share with me.... I know it comes from intense fear... it's OK. When people share with me, I feel honored and privileged....People, on the trail, are some of the MOST interesting people to meet. Blah, Blah, Blah...;0)

From bold: Yeah I do.

I actually got tired while reading your post....lol

rocketsocks
07-16-2012, 11:37
Can there be such a thing as a Introspective Introvert ???

atmilkman
07-16-2012, 11:42
Can there be such a thing as a Introspective Introvert ???
I wikipediated it and the page introspective introvert does not exist. Do you want to create it?

rocketsocks
07-16-2012, 11:50
I wikipediated it and the page introspective introvert does not exist. Do you want to create it?Not suprised, what I meant to say before the brain fart was Introspective Extravert.

atmilkman
07-16-2012, 11:55
Not suprised, what I meant to say before the brain fart was Introspective Extravert.
Same thing, page does not exist. How's it feel to be smarter than wikipedia?

Another Kevin
07-16-2012, 17:49
INTP here.

As I've had to explain to my ESFP wife, I doesn't mean "inept socially", nor "inability to deal with people." It's about where you get your energy, what recharges you. She recharges by going out and hanging around with lots of people. I recharge by getting time to myself. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good party (I surely do!), or that I can't talk your ear off (just ask her, she'll tell you!). But while she comes home from the party energized, I come home drained and need to recover.

Question: Is there an unusual number of computer geeks on The Trail? Because that's another domain that concentrates the INTP's.

INTP's of the world, unite! Oh, that's right, I forgot. We can't.

ChinMusic
07-16-2012, 18:02
As I've had to explain to my ESFP wife, I doesn't mean "inept socially", nor "inability to deal with people." It's about where you get your energy, what recharges you. She recharges by going out and hanging around with lots of people. I recharge by getting time to myself. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good party (I surely do!), or that I can't talk your ear off (just ask her, she'll tell you!). But while she comes home from the party energized, I come home drained and need to recover.

Oh man, is that me. I choose places like northern Manitoba for vacations. I think lack of crowds, and the stresses that comes with them, is what partially draws me to backpacking.

HikerMom58
07-16-2012, 18:38
ChinMusic... I like you b/c your honest. :) How do you pick out quotes from what other people said and post it? How do you bold things?.... I haven't figured all that out, yet. You guys ROCK!! I like this thread!!

Hairbear
07-16-2012, 18:39

Brad hell ill be the guy on the other ridge just whistle and wave

Hairbear
07-16-2012, 18:51
hell ill be the guy on the other ridge just whistle and wave

if you dont use all your fingers i wont hold it against you lol

Hairbear
07-16-2012, 18:58
ChinMusic... I like you b/c your honest. :) How do you pick out quotes from what other people said and post it? How do you bold things?.... I haven't figured all that out, yet. You guys ROCK!! I like this thread!!

+1 i agree totaly

Tuesdaysgone
07-30-2012, 06:17
This thread makes me so happy. It blows my mind how many INTP's are on here (I'm one and have known that for a while), and the thing about cell phones! Ha! At 24, most of my friends don't get the fact that I hate mine (and quite often 'lose' it for a week or more) when most of them can't seem to survive longer than an hour without checking texts, facebook, ect. It's nice to know there are others out there that share the sentiment.

The AT was this crazy eye opening experience for me the first time I was on it--I've always considered myself something of a people hater and was the kind of painful shy that spent almost an entire year at college known for being 'the girl that won't speak', and in '09 when I went I was terrified by the prospect of interacting with strangers ---and then, weirdly enough, I was almost a complete extrovert on the trail, made these amazing friends who I still talk to today, and I came away actually believing that people aren't all that bad...Heck, people are my favorite part of hiking most the time--I meet more folk I'd be willing to call friend in a month on the trail than I do during a year in civilization.

TOW
07-30-2012, 08:48

1- Shelter people
2- Tent people

Enjoy your thru-hike.
I agree with what she say.....

Drybones
07-30-2012, 15:58
From bold: Yeah I do.

I actually got tired while reading your post....lol

I didn't read it...

Drybones
07-30-2012, 16:04
On a 4 day section hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=60358) in PA, I met a woman day-hiking just before my NOBO ascent of Lehigh Gap. From the moment we met, she talked non-stop starting with the entire 1 mile 1,000' ascent. Trying to be polite, I conversed with her, not my preference on a steep uphill climb with a full pack (she only had a light daypack. It was like that the rest of the day; 10 miles later at the Delps Trail intersection, I was exhausted but not from the hiking! She turned around at that point (after fetching me water, nice gesture) and my energy returned on the remaining 6 miles to LeRoy Smith Shelter.

For the record, INTP in the 3 times I've taken the tests. Reportedly unusual for an accountant (;)) and my GF insists I can't be an "I."

Proverb: the more the words, the less the meaning.
I sort of envy people quick thinking enough to speak in one sentence for the entire evening, giving no one else a chance to speak, but I confess, after a while I turn them off because I assume they have nothing to say.