PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Creek Gap to Fontana Dam

tawa
02-10-2011, 13:30
Please share any information on the shelters between Dicks Creek Gap and Fontana Dam. Wish would stay in or avoid? Do they have bear cables in the shelters through this section and if not would u advise just hanging food bag and backpack up inside the shelters?
I assume with all the snow and precip that water is still plentiful.
Plan on getting back on the trail in a week and stop at Frankin--NOC--and Fontana Dam. So any information concerning the trail from these two point would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

daddytwosticks
02-10-2011, 17:24
Plumborchard Gap Shelter is a sight to behold...all three levels of it. Bear cables there and a very reliable water source you cross right before the shelter. I do believe it's about a quarter mile off the trail though. :)

Praha4
02-10-2011, 18:05
ditto... Plumorchard Gap Shelter is one of the nicest in GA. Water and bear cables there.

Muskrat Creek Shelter is 'ok', there is reliable stream water at the shelter.
The only shelter I would avoid is the old Cable Gap shelter, the new Cable Gap shelter is close by on the opposite side of the trail, and very nice.

I also liked Wayah Shelter, it is one of the newer shelters in NC, bear cables as I recall, but a spring is a short hike on the other side of the AT from the shelter blue blaze.

As I recall the other shelters south of Fontana are all okay, but I can't remember if they all have bear cables. Water should not be a problem at all with all the recent snow.

Jedeye
02-11-2011, 10:09
And you can end your hike at the Fontana Hilton ;)

scope
02-11-2011, 10:20
Don't stop short of Siler Bald, avoid the first shelter trail and go to the bald first, you may want to camp there. Otherwise, you can take the other trail down to the shelter.