PDA

View Full Version : What is Taba doing now?

Taba
02-10-2011, 14:06
I am starting my 4th thru-hike of the MST in NC tomorrow from Jockey's Ridge. I will be walking towards the Smoky Mountains and then heading over to the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky to Yo-Yo that trail. Once finished with the Yo-Yo I will head over to the Great Eastern Trail and either start at the KY/TN border or the KY/WV border and hike north to NY. I will be updating both versions of the MST Thru-Hiker's Manual, updating the Sheltowee Trace (ST) Manual and adding a south-bound version for the ST. I will also write 5 to 6 more Thru-Hiker's Manuals for the Alleghany, Tuscarora, Penn Mid-State, Standing Stone, and one for the northern half of the GET. Depending on where I start the GET, I may end up writing one for the Pine Mountain Trail.
This is about 2,500 miles and will take up to 8 months to complete the hikes. I will be hiking from now until October 2011.
The Manuals projected release date is February of 2012.

If you live near these trails and would like to join me for a day or more, I invite you to come and play in the woods with me.
Taba

ki0eh
02-10-2011, 14:11
Good to hear it! My area's toward the end.

If you're starting at Matewan and time allows might as well do the PMT and the half-county roadwalk from Elkhorn City to Matewan. How are you doing the disjuncture in Allegheny Trail?

Taba
02-10-2011, 14:41
How ever the GETA would like me to go. I would like to be as accurate as I can be with where the GETA says the trail is supposed to go. I haven't done any research on these trails yet but will figure it out eventually. I am focusing on one trail at a time.

jbenson
02-15-2011, 19:54
Did I see you hiking through Avon today (tuesday)?

Corrigan
02-16-2011, 17:37
TABA are you keeping a TJ this hike? Also, which maps are you using?

Hope all is going well man

Taba
02-16-2011, 21:06
I am not doing a TJ this year just updating my status on Facebook when I can. I am not using any maps for the MST. Having written the guidebook and being on my 4th thru-hike of this trail I don't need them. I also don't need maps for the Sheltowee Trace and will be on my 2nd and 3rd thru-hikes as I Yo-Yo that one while updating the Manual for it as well. When I get over to the GET I may or may not use maps there. I like to get lost when I write a new Manual for the trails. I usually go out with no maps, guidebooks, gps or directions of any kind. I follow the blazes and explore every side trail to find out what's down them. If I go half a mile without seeing a blaze I turn back to figure out where the trail is supposed to go. If I can't find the trail I try to find a place with cell phone reception and call some

Taba
02-16-2011, 21:09
To continue the last post: call someone who knows the trail in that area. Usually the director of the organization that maintains the section of trail I am on.

ki0eh
02-16-2011, 21:13
The GET is variously or non-blazed for much of the way, this could GET interesting. :)

Taba
02-16-2011, 23:31
Did I see you hiking through Avon today (tuesday)?

Yeah more than likely. I stayed at a friends place near Dolphins Den and started hiking around noon. If you are around Buxton or Hatteras we should catch up for lunch or something. I will be ending my day tomorrow in Hatteras Village near the Library. Not sure where I am staying tomorrow night but...that is as far as I will be able to go. On to Ocracoke the next day.

Taba
02-16-2011, 23:33
The GET is variously or non-blazed for much of the way, this could GET interesting. :)

I like interesting! I work best when I am challenged.

Taba
02-18-2011, 21:01
It took a week but I am finished with the beach section of this journey. On to the swamp.

gunner76
02-19-2011, 23:15
But its such a nice swamp this time of year

Taba
02-21-2011, 15:00
I am looking forward to the Neusiok Trail. The swamp is going to be amazing with no threat of being carried away by giant mosquitos.

I met another hiker on the trail today. Her name is Heidi and she will be staying at my friends house who is listed in the Manual as a place to camp and get water. We will be able to talk and may plan to hike some together once we get past New Bern.

Keep checking Facebook to follow my progress. Type in my email address: [email protected] to find me quicker.

Taba

gunner76
02-23-2011, 22:51
Taba - Did I see you hiking thru Otway & Bettie today ??

Taba
02-24-2011, 08:38
Hey Gunner,
Actually you saw another hiker named Heidi. She is thru-hiking this year also. I am going to be hiking through there today. If you are around today stop by and let's have lunch at George's Pizza.

gunner76
02-25-2011, 22:31
She was hiking up a storm. Sorry couldn't get up with you, that pesky problem known as job keeps getting in the way.

Taba
03-08-2011, 01:03
Now past New Bern, 215 miles from Jockey's Ridge. Hike is going well. Found 8 new camping locations within the first 180 miles.

nicorock2003
04-04-2011, 15:45
TABA,the Professional hiker, stopped by on Tuesday 4-29-11 between 7:00pm -9:15pm at mile maker 399...outside of Durham on Guess Road heading to Green Riley road heading north, great guy full of stories and full of spirit. unfortunately one of our family members admitted to hospital and could not spend much time talking with Taba, we did feed him and off he went on his journey, plan to catch back up with him at Trail Days

Rocky/Jamey

Tennessee Viking
04-04-2011, 15:53
Last I heard he was in Walnut Cove about to start heading toward Hanging Rock.

Taba
04-12-2011, 22:05
I am now one day away from Boone. The end is in sight. Trail Days is going to be fantastic. I have 2 time slots for presentations and will be throwing a rock concert at the Damascus General Store on Friday the 13th. The band called The Native Sway is going to play a 3 hour show as a special gift to the hikers. Once again thank you to everybody for the support and for making this years hike even more special and fun. I have had N amazing journey and yet it continues. Should be done by the beginning of May on top of Clingman's Dome.

BSF-Hiker
04-13-2011, 21:44
Scot, let me know what your plans are for the Sheltowee Trace.

Taba
04-14-2011, 02:54
Leaving right after Trail Days to start at the southern end thru-hiking north turning around and thru-hiking south. Beginning around May 16th. Will take roughly 2 months.