PDA

View Full Version : Wayah Gap to NOC

snowman2
02-10-2011, 14:12
Planning at trip from Wayah Gap to NOC and was wondering if there is any places to throw a tent between Copper Ridge Bald and Rocky Bald. The book says there is a blue blaze trail off of Rocky Bald that leads to a "nice view point on summit Rocky Bald". Did not know if there is an area near the view point or if anyone has gone through there that can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Snowman

Gray Blazer
02-10-2011, 15:22
Planning at trip from Wayah Gap to NOC and was wondering if there is any places to throw a tent between Copper Ridge Bald and Rocky Bald. The book says there is a blue blaze trail off of Rocky Bald that leads to a "nice view point on summit Rocky Bald". Did not know if there is an area near the view point or if anyone has gone through there that can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Snowman

Last time I camped there was 06. I did a hiker feed there. The AT used to go right over the top and there were lots of camping spaces. When I camped on the summit there was like one tent space and everything was growing over.

snowman2
02-10-2011, 15:59
Thanks, I would really like to find a spot to tent. It will make a big difference in my miles per day.

snowman2
02-10-2011, 16:02
Gray Blazer, where was the spot with lots of tent sites. It does not matter if Im at the summit I just was hoping there is some open areas between those two points.

Gray Blazer
02-10-2011, 21:34
Gray Blazer, where was the spot with lots of tent sites. It does not matter if Im at the summit I just was hoping there is some open areas between those two points.

Guess I wasn't clear. There used to be spots at the summit a few years ago but they are pretty much grown over. I haven't been up there in a few years so I am not sure. It is a nice spot to eat lunch. I've seen tents set up at the firetower a few miles north. I'm sure there are other spots on some of the side trails up to the ridge. The shelter is not too far south of there. Lots of tent space at Burningtown Gap. I've camped in the picnic area at Wayah Bald (tables and bathroom and tower-no water) and I've seen tents set up at Wayah Gap. Have fun. It is a pretty section.

snowman2
02-11-2011, 00:10
Thank you, it's going to be a good time. Since I don't get up there much I like to try and get as much info as I can.
We did the north side of NOC a few years ago and I wanted to do the south side this time.

I will try and find a site up there around the area you are talking about

Thanks again.

snowman2
02-11-2011, 00:12
Thank you, it's going to be a good time. Since I don't get up there much I like to try and get as much info as I can.
We did the north side of NOC a few years ago and I wanted to do the south side this time.

I will try and find a site up there around the area you are talking about

Thanks again.