PDA

View Full Version : average low and high temps

neo
01-03-2005, 21:47
my next section hike will be sept 2005 approx,2 and a half week hike from dalton mass to gorham nh.what can i expect on the average for high and low temps
:sun neo

Groucho
01-03-2005, 22:45
my next section hike will be sept 2005 approx,2 and a half week hike from dalton mass to gorham nh.what can i expect on the average for high and low temps

Neo,

This SITE (http://www.thru-hiker.com/temporal.asp) might help. It also has the extremes of temp. You have to subtract for elevation.

Peter Mossberg
01-03-2005, 23:11
I live near Gorham, NH . Early sept will still have summer weather with typical highs 50's-70's. But it can dip below freezing on the colder nights, and there might be a slight chance of a frost in the mountains.

In late september, there will likely be frost some mornings and a chance of snow/ice at the high elevations. You still may have nice weather with highs in the 60's & 70's if you are lucky.

neo
01-03-2005, 23:19
my main reason for this question is,will a 25 degree down bag be to hot at night in upper elavation:sun neo

Kerosene
01-04-2005, 09:55
Here is a link (http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/climo-dly.html?locid=USNH0088&climoMonth=9), from weather.com, for the average, high and low temperatures by day for Gorham, New Hampshire for September, along with sunrise/sunset. Enter any other town to get other points, but you'll have to adjust for elevation (about 2* Fahrenheit for each 1,000 feet I believe) and make sure that the reporting station is reasonably close to the town you typed in.

Moose2001
01-04-2005, 10:45
Neo - I would say you would not have to worry about a 25 degree bag being too warm. Many thrus pickup thier winter gear at Glenncliff, the start of the Whites. That's normally done, depending on your start date, in August. If you're starting a month after that, you'll be glad you have that 25 degree bag. The one thing I would say is the later in Sept you start, the more chance of cold and nasty weather you'll have. Mid-Oct is usually considered the "start" of winter hiking season in the Whites.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

neo
01-04-2005, 14:57
thanks for all the helpful info:sun neo

Peaks
01-04-2005, 21:29
my main reason for this question is,will a 25 degree down bag be to hot at night in upper elavation:sun neo

I wouldn't count on it. Bring along at least a 25 degree bag. You might want something warmer. First frost in the Berkshires and north is usually in mid September.

Peaks
01-04-2005, 21:40

Dalton to Gorham is 321 miles. If you do that in 18 days, that's 18 miles per day. Check your schedule. I suggest planning about 3 1/2 weeks to go from Dalton to Gorham.

neo
01-04-2005, 22:59
Dalton to Gorham is 321 miles. If you do that in 18 days, that's 18 miles per day. Check your schedule. I suggest planning about 3 1/2 weeks to go from Dalton to Gorham.
double nickles and endorphin did it in 14 days,my miles per day pretty much on their speed,allowing 18,can do it in 16,i will be in extreme shape for this section
will be biking,mountain biking,and hiking my ass till then:sun neo