PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Trail Heads

wendysman
02-10-2011, 17:54
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of all trail heads in North Carolina along the Applachian Trail? If you do could you please email them to me or tell me how to get them.

Thanks in advance

10-K
02-10-2011, 18:04
That's a mighty tall order.

This is probably the best you're going to get... http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/State/state_menu/at_state_menu.aspx?id=10

Marta
02-11-2011, 06:57
I find trailheads in two ways:

1) Look at a map of the area and see where the roads cross.

2) Look at one of the guidebooks, such as The Thru-Hikers' Companion. A quick scan down the chart at the front of each chapter produces a list of the trailheads.

Tennessee Viking
02-11-2011, 09:26
Doing this off the top of my head

Fontana
Newfound Gap
Davenport Gap
I40
Standing Bear Hostel
Brown Gap (high clearance)
Max Patch
Lemon Gap
side trail to Gardenflo Gap
Hot Springs
Tanyard Gap
Hurricane Gap
Allen Gap
Camp Creek Bald/Jones Meadows
Devils Fork Gap
Sams Gap
Street Gap & Big Bald Mtn (private roads)
Spivey Gap (US19W)
Erwin (2 trailheads)
Indian Grave Gap
Beauty Spot
side trail from USFS230
Iron Mtn Gap
Greasy Creek Gap
Hughes Gap
Cloudland
Carvers Gap
Yellow Mtn Gap
US 19E (NC section technically ends here)

Pedaling Fool
02-11-2011, 09:39
I find trailheads in two ways:

1) Look at a map of the area and see where the roads cross.

2) Look at one of the guidebooks, such as The Thru-Hikers' Companion. A quick scan down the chart at the front of each chapter produces a list of the trailheads.
It's kind of a neat thought that regardless of which road you take from east to west you'll eventually have to cross the AT for the vast majority of the east coast.

Maybe it's just me though

:sun

10-K
02-11-2011, 10:26
I've been meaning to drive up to Wolf Laurel and see if I couldn't make my way to Street Gap. I lost tent stake at Low Gap and I've got this obsession to get it back. Sure would be easier to start from Street Gap instead of Sam's Gap. :)

Can you get there without obtaining permission from a landowner?

Also looks like you can come up the other side.

Doing this off the top of my head

Fontana
Newfound Gap
Davenport Gap
I40
Standing Bear Hostel
Brown Gap (high clearance)
Max Patch
Lemon Gap
side trail to Gardenflo Gap
Hot Springs
Tanyard Gap
Hurricane Gap
Allen Gap
Camp Creek Bald/Jones Meadows
Devils Fork Gap
Sams Gap
Street Gap & Big Bald Mtn (private roads)
Spivey Gap (US19W)
Erwin (2 trailheads)
Indian Grave Gap
Beauty Spot
side trail from USFS230
Iron Mtn Gap
Greasy Creek Gap
Hughes Gap
Cloudland
Carvers Gap
Yellow Mtn Gap
US 19E (NC section technically ends here)

Ashevillian
02-11-2011, 10:34
For Madison County here's a great site:
http://www.visitmadisoncounty.com/activities/hike-the-appalachian-trail-in-madison-county/trail-access-in-madison-county/

sherrill
02-11-2011, 11:49
I've been meaning to drive up to Wolf Laurel and see if I couldn't make my way to Street Gap. I lost tent stake at Low Gap and I've got this obsession to get it back. Sure would be easier to start from Street Gap instead of Sam's Gap. :)

Last time I hiked up there we stopped for lunch and sat across from a house on a side trail that went 20 yards to the AT. About 50 yards down from that was a pumping station. I believe it was either Pisgah Pass or Painted Ridge, but I'm not sure. If you can find the pump station you could park there.

Tennessee Viking
02-11-2011, 12:32

The AT Guide book says both ways are accessible at Street Gap. And when you are at Street Gap, it looks like a fairly good road.

But there was a sign for Street Gap Road in Wolf Laurel saying it was a Private Road.

Then Right Higgins Creek Road just dead ends into a field. But looked like an old farming road that goes next to it.

They are probably private roads that USFS are only allowed to use.

10-K
02-11-2011, 12:40
For Madison County here's a great site:
http://www.visitmadisoncounty.com/activities/hike-the-appalachian-trail-in-madison-county/trail-access-in-madison-county/

Dang, that's pretty good!

I'll pretend like my property tax I pay on my land in Madison Co. goes to maintain that page.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-11-2011, 13:05
That's a mighty tall order.

This is probably the best you're going to get... http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/State/state_menu/at_state_menu.aspx?id=10

I checked that link out and added it to my homepage as a widget.. That site is awesome and could be very useful. Thanks for posting it 10-K