PDA

View Full Version : 4 day/3 night hike

stir crazy
02-10-2011, 18:47
Last spring we did a 3 day/2 night hike from Springer to Riverside Restaurant . Great hike. Really enjoyed it. I think that was around 36 miles. Now we are looking at doing a 4 day/3 night section this April. Really do not want to start the hike with roadwork from where we left off. Maybe somewhere further up in Georgia or even starting at the Ocoee. Any thoughts?

58starter
02-10-2011, 20:51
Rock Gap to NOC

Papa D
02-10-2011, 21:38
How about something like Irwin, TN northbound to Elk Park, NC - you get the Roans -about 50 miles - fun - stay at Over-Mountain Shelter on the last night.

royalusa
02-11-2011, 09:57
Based on your forum, it sounds like you are looking for a suggestion on the BMT. How about BMT mm 109 Webb Brothers Store which is right on the trail (and provides a place to park) in Reliance TN to BMT mm 151 Green Cove Motel which is 1.4 miles off the trail (and provides shuttles) in Tellico Plains TN.

Here's our journal entries from that section: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317212

There's more options too. Another one would be from Tellico Plains TN to Deals Gap at BMT mm 189. Or you could do a section in the GSMNP.

If you haven't gotten SGT Rock's guide book, you'll want to get it: http://bmtguide.com/. It's really good for planning and guiding.

royalusa
02-11-2011, 10:25
Forgot to mention that right after we hiked the trail last June, there was significant trail maintenance done. So our comments in our journal about bushwhacking etc. are outdated.

stir crazy
02-12-2011, 09:53
Thanks for the suggestions. I will investigate further. I do have a copy of Sgt. Rock's book from last year although I understand there's a new one coming. We have debated whether to do a section of the BMT or AT. Kind of like the less social aspect of the BMT but that's only from what I read. What really is more interesting to my son and I would be a trail that has streams. The Slickrock area sounds interesting.
And royalusa, I really liked your journal but the bushwacking didn't sound fun. Glad to hear the trail is in better shape.

SGT Rock
02-17-2011, 22:00
Slickrock creek, if you walk that you might get tired of streams. Just kidding. There are a few good sections for stuff like this.

The new book is out. Depending on what section you plan to take, there either isn't much changed, or I've add some more points like camps and water sources. The biggest change is how I have done towns and the town data. You may not need that.

Oh, and the new book has GPS coordinates for trail heads so you don't have to know all the back roads to find them.