PDA

View Full Version : Shelter inquiry...

mrakes02
02-10-2011, 22:17
What are the cans and bottles hanging from strings in the shelters used for?

XCskiNYC
02-10-2011, 22:19
Mouse trapezes.

Serious answer: you hang your food bag on the string, below the can. The can prevents mice from working their way down the string to your food.

mrakes02
02-10-2011, 22:21
Thanks! :banana

Cookerhiker
02-10-2011, 22:22
If you're referring to the tuna cans, they allegedly prevent mice from getting into your pack which hangs on the botton of the rope, usually on a small stick, a foot down or so from the can.

Do they work? Not if the mouse is determined.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 22:29
If you're referring to the tuna cans, they allegedly prevent mice from getting into your pack which hangs on the botton of the rope, usually on a small stick, a foot down or so from the can.

Do they work? Not if the mouse is determined.

In which case when you see the mouse on your pack place him on top of a rock and slam another rock on top of the little sucker...Then you can have mouse stew or mouse steaks for breakfast...

Tinker
02-10-2011, 22:31
In which case when you see the mouse on your pack place him on top of a rock and slam another rock on top of the little sucker...Then you can have mouse stew or mouse steaks for breakfast...

I believe that would be more like mouse jerky. :D

LoneRidgeRunner
02-10-2011, 22:37

BTW..I wouldn't hang my food bag there. I would hang it from a tree outside the shelter and use the strings inside to hang my pack to try to keep the little suckers out of it. Food hanging inside the shelter could attract more mice, coons, possums, skunks, bears and other critters who aren't already there. In the Smokies there are usually bear cables in trees to hang food and you'll get a ticket if a park ranger happens by resulting in a fine if your food isn't hung there unless you're either eating it or preparing it to eat or transporting it to another place. I think the fine for improper food storage in the GSMNP is up to 500$.

Awol1970
02-10-2011, 23:06
I think the fine for improper food storage in the GSMNP is up to 500$.

If some ranger broke out his ticket book for a $500 fine i think id have too place him on top of a rock and take a.....ohhh nevermind.:cool:

wornoutboots
02-10-2011, 23:16
BTW..I wouldn't hang my food bag there. I would hang it from a tree outside the shelter and use the strings inside to hang my pack to try to keep the little suckers out of it. Food hanging inside the shelter could attract more mice, coons, possums, skunks, bears and other critters who aren't already there. In the Smokies there are usually bear cables in trees to hang food and you'll get a ticket if a park ranger happens by resulting in a fine if your food isn't hung there unless you're either eating it or preparing it to eat or transporting it to another place. I think the fine for improper food storage in the GSMNP is up to 500$.

When I'm in areas known for bears ie the Smokies, I hang my whole pack, put the rain cover over it, grab the few items that you may need b4 bed then you have no worries.

kolokolo
02-13-2011, 22:18
What are the cans and bottles hanging from strings in the shelters used for?

A somewhat primative telephone system...

SassyWindsor
02-13-2011, 23:02
A somewhat primative telephone system...

correct, each can with string connects you to one of the other GSMNP shelters.

liteweight
02-15-2011, 00:48
When I'm in areas known for bears ie the Smokies, I hang my whole pack, put the rain cover over it, grab the few items that you may need b4 bed then you have no worries.

+1. I also leave the zippers unzipped just a little. The mice have been known to chew through a pack to get to the food. I would rather loose a bite size snicker bar then wake up with a hole in my pack.

Blissful
02-15-2011, 19:44
The rangers in SNP take them down all the time and hikers put them back up. They want hikers using the bear poles.

mateozzz
02-15-2011, 20:39
In the New England they are good for hanging your boots so the porcupines don't eat them. Getting woken up by a porcupine chewing on the shelter might be funny, but if he's chewing on your boots it would be bad.

gunner76
02-16-2011, 20:34
I believe that would be more like mouse jerky. :D

the ultra light crowd might fight you for them

Jim Adams
02-17-2011, 01:46
wind chimes

geek