PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone carry a sword on the AT

Pages : [1] 2

SiuWonfung
01-04-2005, 00:25
Is carrying a sword onto the AT a good idea?
I was thinking of maybe a three and a half foot long or four foot long light-weight sword. nothing fancy.
do you know of any reputable outfitters, GoLite or MSR ecetera , that i could get a good, reasonbly priced sword from? probably also one that is not too heavy either, i was thinking titanium or some kind of carbon-fiber alloy, but it would probably cost too much.
i guess i could use it for like killing bears and squirrels and stuff.

SGT Rock
01-04-2005, 00:30
Ti doesn'ttake an edge well, and carbon fiber would be too brittle. My guess is you probably would want a stainless steel blade, but one that has been hollowd out or has a narrow blade. I think a sword concealed in a wooden walkng stick like that movie "Blind Fury" would be the best option for a backpacker.

MedicineMan
01-04-2005, 00:37
why not a javelin?
make a helluva tent pole, hiking staff, and in GSMNP you could really stick a pig :)

aaronthebugbuffet
01-04-2005, 00:43
this is the funniest thing i've read on Whiteblaze in a long time:jump

SGT Rock
01-04-2005, 00:43
Here you go:
http://www.thewebcollection.com/blind-fury-sword.html

http://grendelscave.net/armory/i/swzat1014/sw1014-01.jpg

weary
01-04-2005, 00:44
I was thinking of maybe a three and a half foot long or four foot long light-weight sword. nothing fancy.
do you know of any reputable outfitters, GoLite or MSR ecetera , that i could get a good, reasonbly priced sword from? probably also one that is not too heavy either, i was thinking titanium or some kind of carbon-fiber alloy, but it would probably cost too much.
It would double for use as a toothpick.

neo
01-04-2005, 00:45
i carry a sword every were i go,its tatooed on my left arm:sun neo

Singletrack
Check with Highlander. Stayed in a shelter with him in Virginia in 1999.

Alligator
Why not go with an axe? http://www.popularlink.com/?ITEMID=SW-802

Great for chopping wood, self-arrest on ice, low pole (if you are careful) on a tarp tent, and close shaving for town stops.

MisterSweetie
01-04-2005, 00:53
Obviously a Lightsaber(tm) is the way to go.

http://www.jedi-academy.com/props/lightsaber_rack.jpg

steve hiker
01-04-2005, 01:47
Carry the sword of RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Peter Mossberg
01-04-2005, 09:28
This is what I carry on the trail.

http://www.benmeadows.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=1385

Great for threatening noisey boy scouts and unruly dogs.

You can get a nice leather sheath that hooks on your belt.

(seriously though, I use one of these quite frequently when land surveying (to clear traverse lines)

Tim Rich
01-04-2005, 10:30
Obviously a Lightsaber(tm) is the way to go.

http://www.jedi-academy.com/props/lightsaber_rack.jpg

Do you use lithium batteries to save weight?

Blue Jay
01-04-2005, 10:45
I cannot believe the nos are winning. You can't get past the first bridge on the AT without a sword. The troll would get you immediately.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2005, 10:48
I whacked the trolls with my Glock years ago.

minnesotasmith
01-04-2005, 10:58
Needs to talk to the next U.S. Olympic track team. Decent-sized dogs are generally faster than virtually all people, and it's rare that they can catch up to squirrels.

Anyone that voluntarily takes on a loose healthy adult bear with a sword instead of a high-powered firearm needs psychiatric attention.

art to linda
01-04-2005, 11:07
why would you want to kill squirrels? They're cool... the slinkeys of the woods, Besides, there is more meat on a rabbit. ;)

The Cheat
01-04-2005, 11:30
I cannot believe the nos are winning. You can't get past the first bridge on the AT without a sword. The troll would get you immediately.
My Squire carries my sword.

Kerosene
01-04-2005, 11:49
why would you want to kill squirrels? They're cool...Generally I would agree. However, once many of the leaves have fallen from the trees and dried out, it's astounding how much noise these bushy-tailed rodents make scrounging for their nuts. Maybe it was just a temporary population boom, but I ran across hundreds of them (I stopped counting after 80 in one day) in northern Virginia a few years ago.

Kerosene
01-04-2005, 11:51
A light saber (trademarked or otherwise) would be handy to keep those North Carolina boars I've heard about in line.

Youngblood
01-04-2005, 12:06
Anyone that can succeed in chasing down wild squirrels with a sword... Needs to talk to the next U.S. Olympic track team. Decent-sized dogs are generally faster than virtually all people, and it's rare that they can catch up to squirrels.

Anyone that voluntarily takes on a loose healthy adult bear with a sword instead of a high-powered firearm needs psychiatric attention.

The key words are 'wild squirrels', squirrels along the AT are used to hikers and if you sing to them you can get close enough to them to wack 'em before they get away, and the chipmunks aren't near as challenging. But you don't really need a sword, Leki poles work fine. Now the bears are too fast to run down and are generally too smart to fall for some trick to get them within reach of a sword. :rolleyes:

Youngblood

grrickar
01-04-2005, 14:00
My Squire carries my sword.
Does he also carry two coconuts to bang together to make the noise of a galloping horse? :p

For the few of you who haven't seen Monty Python: Search for the Holy Grail - stop what you are doing and go rent it.

SeaJay
01-04-2005, 14:07
I'm planning my gear list for my upcoming thru-hike and this post caught my attention. Why on earth would you need a sword on the AT?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2005, 14:11
This is just one of dozens of useless posts. You gotta wade thru the BS to get to the good stuff.

mdionne
01-04-2005, 14:30
i bring a sherpa. he carries my sword and my pack. if we see a bear my sherpa has been paid an extra 25 cents per day to throw himself at the bear. a financial sacrifice i am willing to make for my safety. the sword will come in handy if we get lost and i get hungry.

veteran
01-04-2005, 15:37
This is what I carry:

TDale
01-04-2005, 16:07
...these bushy-tailed rodents ... scrounging for their nuts.
I hope I'm not reincarnated as a squirrel.

:banana

SGT Rock
01-04-2005, 21:19
This is just one of dozens of useless posts. You gotta wade thru the BS to get to the good stuff.

Don't listen to Lwolf, he is trying to get you killed.Everyone has a sword on the AT because of Bears and Trolls. We even shaved one of those Trolls, taught him how to walk upright and talk. Now he is a web master. Amazing what you can teach a troll.

saimyoji
01-04-2005, 21:27
just check out any of MinnesotaSmith's posts. I especially liked his deleted post on beards, ask him if he'll share it with you. If you're hiking anywhere near him, whatever you do, don't drop your sword. :bse

saimyoji
01-04-2005, 21:28
OK, that was a flame, and I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. I'll go hike it off.

SiuWonfung
01-04-2005, 22:34
Thank you L. Wolf, for all of your support. this is a useless post, hardly.

but, okay maybe not as usefull as lithium batteries, anyways in response to whether or not a person could catch a squirrel. It is totally plausable. Think about this, a squirrels legs are like three inches long, and they have a stride (bound) of like two feet the most. a human being has a running stride of like four feet. in a full out sprint, one could easily beat a squirrel. and in an open field i could catch one. and eat it.
also, i have done so. the trick is you have to wait for like around late october, early november when the squirrels get fat and slow.
this is also when the squirrels will taste the best.

grandview
01-04-2005, 23:05
:D A+ creative mind

Doctari
01-04-2005, 23:07
Is you serious?

I have thought about it, (for about 0.0000001 second) but my sword (with sheath) weighs in at 3 Lbs 1 Oz, a bit heavy I do believe. It is a real sword, not what I call a "wall hanger" usually made of zinc, good for show, but , , , , ,

If I did, I may get one like Rock showed. Altho a friend of mine sells one that looks similar when closed, but pulls out to reveal 2 swords. Mine would break thru them, but great fun against someone unarmed wouldn't it :D

BTW: if I sharpen mine, it voids the life time warranty and then my director won't let me use it in (stage) combat, soooo, , ,

Doctari.

Bloodroot
01-05-2005, 05:51
So what you gonna do with that cute, little, short striding squirrel when you catch him and he eats you instead? ;)

Nameless
01-05-2005, 06:29
Who needs a sword when you have a air rifle?

Just get someone in the eye, and your good to go. A bit heavy though, the need to be 8-12 lbs for increased accuracy (weights you down, gets you to stop moving) And a bit expensive to be taking a a six month trek that i will get hurt on (1800 for a good one) God i miss competative shooting....

Pink

Bloodroot
01-05-2005, 07:21
Who needs a sword when you have a air rifle?
All kinds of lightweight weaponery to choose from, besides a 3 pound sword.

1. You could use a sling shot as the wilderness will supply you with sufficient ammo.

2. A blow gun

3. I you are real good a boomerang

4. Throwing stars

5. A 155mm self-propelled howitzer, don't need to pack it in, just drive it in.

Newb
01-05-2005, 17:23
Am I odd for the walking stick I invented?

I had 4 inch knife blade that used to be attached to a bone handle. It was laying around for years. So, I took a 6 foot walking stick, cut 7 inches off of the end, split the end of the long piece 2 inches, mounted the blade in it. I beveled the end at the blade with my Dremel. Affixed the blade with two screws and wrapped it with a leather strap. Then, I split the short piece halfway to dig out a sheath on the cap. I hollowed it with the dremel to match the bevel and wrapped it with a leather strap.

So, I had a walking stick that converted into a ready spear. Unfortunately, the top kept coming off and I eventually broke the blade throwing it at a tree.

Fiddleback
01-05-2005, 17:37
I never carried a sword but one dark day in the middle of the night I wished I had. I met a hiker called the Black Knight...fortunately, I only suffered a flesh wound.

FB

:jump

"OH YEAH! WADE THRU THIS!!"

Two Speed
01-05-2005, 18:20
. . . A bit heavy though, the need to be 8-12 lbs for increased accuracy (weights you down, gets you to stop moving) . . .

A bit heavy, you say? Nay, Nay, Nay! Just think of all the food you won't have to carry. :jump

Alligator
01-05-2005, 18:23
I never carried a sword but one dark day in the middle of the night I wished I had. I met a hiker called the Black Knight...fortunately, I only suffered a flesh wound.

FB

"OH YEAH! WADE THRU THIS!!"You reminded me of an old rhyme, (not Monty Python)

One dark day in the middle of the night,
two dead boys got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other,
draw their swords and shot each other.
A deaf policeman, heard the noise,
came and shot the two dead boys.
If you don't believe this lie is true,
ask the blind man, he saw it too.

Sorry, had to get it out of the system.

saimyoji
01-05-2005, 18:32
Be absolutely safe with the holy handgrenade! Of course, be careful not to damage the shrubberies!!:D

Kerosene
01-05-2005, 18:44
I met a hiker called the Black Knight...fortunately, I only suffered a flesh wound.I'm not dead yet!

Kerosene
01-05-2005, 18:48
I'm surprised that after 40 posts none of you male perverts referred to the "sword" us guys all have and are always looking for a hiking princess to help "sheath" (so I will!). :jump

(Sorry gals.)

Sleepy the Arab
01-05-2005, 19:51
I'm surprised that after 40 posts none of you male perverts referred to the "sword" us guys all have and are always looking for a hiking princess to help "sheath" (so I will!). :jump

(Sorry gals.)

I refrain from any such comment, as my hiking princess happens to own a sword and would threaten circumcision for such a crass remark.

Appropriately, I end this post with :banana .

c.coyle
01-06-2005, 15:26
What no AT hiker should leave home without:

cellphone stun gun (http://www.superelements.com/cellphonestungun.htm)

UCONNMike
01-06-2005, 15:58
Could we all please stop responding to this guy's posts, he is wasting our time with these rediculous threads he is starting...I wish he would stop wasting everyones time, since it is very clear that he is not serious about thru-hiking the AT, which is what whiteblaze is about, not "do you carry a sword" or "how fast do boars run" or "can you fight a bear." Teach SiuWonfung a lesson and dont even read his threads, you'll be better off.

Chip
01-06-2005, 16:36
Carry a sword??? :jump

You gotta be kidding !!!! :D

MOWGLI
01-06-2005, 16:40
Could we all please stop responding to this guy's posts, he is wasting our time with these rediculous threads he is starting...

Kirin is freaking piss-water, its japanese budweiser. I love it when people say some **** import is their favorite, no knowledge at all...read up before you make a fool of your self

Yeah, listening to 21 year olds lecture us about the best beer is a much better way to spend your time on Whiteblaze. :D

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 16:43
I have fun with these threads. At least it is better than going to the mattress with others over enviromental terrorism, Bush v. Kerry, or many other much more devicive threads which also have little to do with the AT but seem to get a lot of attention.

c.coyle
01-06-2005, 16:54
Q: What do you call an angry belly dancer with a sword?

A: A veiled threat.

I used to know a joke about a sword swallower and a blind unicyclist. Maybe it'll come to me.

Bolo
01-06-2005, 16:56
Yeah, listening to 21 year olds lecture us about the best beer is a much better way to spend your time on Whiteblaze. :DMOW, you forgot to hold your sword up to UCONNMIKE and yell, "Touche!"

MOWGLI
01-06-2005, 16:57
I have fun with these threads. At least it is better than going to the mattress with others over enviromental terrorism, Bush v. Kerry, or many other much more devicive threads which also have little to do with the AT but seem to get a lot of attention.

I agree 100%. WB holds different things for different people. Someone planning a hike will use this site in one way. Someone like myself who has already completed a hike might look at WB for the entertainment value. I think this 17 yo kid (if that's REALLY what we're dealing with) is pretty observant. It's called parody. I like it.

As Blue Jay says, how many times can you read threads about stoves or sleeping bags? As if one type of stove or sleeping bag will get you from Springer to Katahdin.

MOWGLI
01-06-2005, 16:58
MOW, you forgot to hold your sword up to UCONNMIKE and yell, "Touche!"

No disrespect meant to Mike. For all I know he's majoring in beer at school.

Touche!

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 16:59
On the other hand, carrying a good sense of humor and having a thick skin might be just as important as what kind of tent you carry.

Frosty
01-06-2005, 17:20
having a thick skin might be just as important as what kind of tent you carry.Speaking of which, some of the loud, thin-skinned, defensive posters have been absent lately, I just realized. Maybe the sword-boar guy is just filling the vacancy.

Singletrack
01-06-2005, 17:53
Marcus posted the same "sword" post about 5 years ago over on Trailplace. Responses were not taken too well by Marcus. I guess he has grown up a bit now. I think his post, and responses got several people from being able to participate there anymore. Including myself.

MOWGLI
01-06-2005, 18:20
Marcus posted the same "sword" post about 5 years ago over on Trailplace. Responses were not taken too well by Marcus. I guess he has grown up a bit now. I think his post, and responses got several people from being able to participate there anymore. Including myself.

Gee, he must've been about 13 then. Ain't the internet great?

"He's" probably a 50 year old woman. :D

Blue Jay
01-07-2005, 09:43
On the other hand, carrying a good sense of humor and having a thick skin might be just as important as what kind of tent you carry.

Absolutely brilliant.

Fiddleback
01-07-2005, 10:03
You reminded me of an old rhyme, (not Monty Python)

Sorry, had to get it out of the system.Alligator --

That was my intended reference...my post was a joke I told myself 'cause I didn't think anyone in the whole world knew that 'poem'. You must be as old a fart as I am...Ahh...it's great to discuss culture early in the morning:bse

FB

Alligator
01-07-2005, 11:27
Alligator --

That was my intended reference...my post was a joke I told myself 'cause I didn't think anyone in the whole world knew that 'poem'. You must be as old a fart as I am...Ahh...it's great to discuss culture early in the morning:bse

FB
I'm a bit younger, so you may not be as old as you think:) . I learned this in grade school, I think the purpose was to demonstrate a paradox. Of course, the kids picked it up quickly and repeated it endlessly. I hadn't recited it in many years LOL.

Bolo
01-07-2005, 11:31
You reminded me of an old rhyme, (not Monty Python)

Sorry, had to get it out of the system.Alligator, I'm falling outa my chair!! HA!

This is gonna be an all-day earworm!

Bolo

Alligator
01-07-2005, 11:41
Thank Fiddleback:D , it's was safely put away for about 30 years for me, but now...

I think I'll teach it to my hiking buddy this weekend (cue evil laugh).

It's drew their swords BTW. No edit available. And you can act it out with friends if two know it by heart :banana .

Fiddleback
01-07-2005, 12:38
Thank Fiddleback:D , it's was safely put away for about 30 years for me, but now...

I think I'll teach it to my hiking buddy this weekend (cue evil laugh).

It's drew their swords BTW. No edit available. And you can act it out with friends if two know it by heart :banana .
Hey...if I didn't get grammer the 50 years ago when I heard the poem I'm not gonna hold you responsible for your wizened memory either. :D

FB

SiuWonfung
01-07-2005, 20:54
i don't know anything about a sword post five years ago, back then i was in to Pokemon not backpacking. Have I grown up though? not at all, why would anyone want to grow up?
by the way, does no one recall the posts i posted on cous-cous and a tent. I'm not all fun and games.

anyways, did anyone read the post on carrying guns on the AT? I think that the trail would be a safer place if hikers were to carry a sword. AND they are comprable to a gun in terms of weight without the added weight of ammo and fear of accidentally shooting yourself in the foot (although, now that i think about it, you could cut your foot off by accident with a sword too). and you can sharpen sticks too.

minnesotasmith
01-08-2005, 06:26
Haven't you heard to never bring a knife to a gunfight? ;)

Here in the New World, we haven't had oppressive governments nearly as long as Asians and Europeans, so large percentages of us have no psychological (and far fewer legal ones, outside of Marxist states like NY) impediments to carrying and using firearms as appropriate. If a gun and a sword are comparable weight, then the gun would win hands down as the choice 95+% of the time IMO.

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 09:10
But a sword has multiple uses.

minnesotasmith
01-08-2005, 10:59
"But a sword has multiple uses."

Aside from butchering a moose or steer, what can a sword usefully do that the combination of a firearm and a quality modest-sized pocketknife (of combined weight comparable to the sword) cannot?

MOWGLI
01-08-2005, 11:34
"But a sword has multiple uses."

Aside from butchering a moose or steer, what can a sword usefully do that the combination of a firearm and a quality modest-sized pocketknife (of combined weight comparable to the sword) cannot?

You can't commit hari-kari with a firearm and a pocket knife.

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 11:53
Well if you have a sword, why bring another 1.7 ounces for a knife?

The sword I reccomend is that walking staff sword so that it can serve as a staff, center pole for a tarp, etc. But besides that you can chop wood, pick your nails, teeth, and toes with it. You can kill critters, perform trailmaintenance on the brush, kill bugs, cut food, shave, git out hard knots, etc. The possibilites are endless.

SiuWonfung
01-08-2005, 12:04
Ahhh, so many uses. you make carrying a sword sound actually like a good idea!

maybe i just might consider the idea..

Jaybird
03-08-2005, 08:59

Only if its Carbon Fiber or Titanium! :D

Seriously, only the "earliest" hikers wouldve needed any type of sword or machete to "blaze the trail", bush-wack or whatever the overgrown areas of the trail...etc.,etc.,

i'll stick with my 1 oz. serated blade knife. it does the trick...just fine!

JLB
03-08-2005, 10:56
But a sword has multiple uses.
Rock, this would be a far better choice, and would do far more things well than any other large blade.

http://www.fernknives.com/images/CS-35LTCmedium.gif
Cold Steel LTC Kukri

Mine is shaving sharp, and I gave my old one to my Jamaican yard guy, after he admired it, and he cut down an entire oak tree in my back yard with it.

Smooth03
03-08-2005, 11:03
I prefer to carry a bowstaff. Or perhaps my num-chucks.

Blue Jay
03-08-2005, 11:17
I prefer to carry a bowstaff. Or perhaps my num-chucks.

I carry wood-chucks, believe me no one bothers me and I have no trouble with shelter space. Vastly superior to dogs as you don't have to carry their food. They do chew their way out of my pack every few miles, which is a problem.

leeki pole
03-08-2005, 12:26
Actually, I prefer my Eskimo Uulu. Great for slicing pizza, skinning game and shaving in a pinch. Skins bark right off'n a suitable stick to make a staff.

SGT Rock
03-08-2005, 12:42
Rock, this would be a far better choice, and would do far more things well than any other large blade.

Cold Steel LTC Kukri

Mine is shaving sharp, and I gave my old one to my Jamaican yard guy, after he admired it, and he cut down an entire oak tree in my back yard with it.

Probably, but it isn't as cool as a walking stick with a sword in it :p

RagingHampster
03-08-2005, 14:19
How about those paintball guns the cops use that fire those pepperspray balls. Then you can season ramen from 100yds (with practice).

I was thinking of carrying a 15' long pike or King-Arthur style lance. Then when you come upon a charging maniac you can knock him to the ground from a distance. Don't forget the suit of chain-mail and armor either!

Nightwalker
03-08-2005, 23:42
why would you want to kill squirrels? They're cool... the slinkeys of the woods, Besides, there is more meat on a rabbit. ;)
Squirrels are good made stewed with dumplings. They're good fried like chicken as well, but they have the size limitation that you've already noted.

I grew up so deep in the country that we had three neighbors within rifle-shot distance, all of them immediate family. As the old joke goes, "we went towards town to hunt."

We had bear, squirrel, rabbit, turtle, frog-legs and deer. There may have been more, but I don't remember it right now.

Out here, if the poop hit the fan, we could probably still survive. Maybe not with a sword, but...

Nightwalker
03-09-2005, 00:07
I'm planning my gear list for my upcoming thru-hike and this post caught my attention. Why on earth would you need a sword on the AT?
This is a parody of the "guns on the trail" post. Don't be too concerned. We all get a bit bonkers at times, especially when it's been a few weeks since a good hike.

I'm going out for a few days next week and (hopefully) a few months on the 26th. L. Wolf is going out for 5-6 weeks on the 22nd. A lot of folks are gonna try a thru attempt. Rain Man does a lot of sectioning and so do lots of others. It's gettin' to be the fun time of the year, we just play around a lot between hikes. :)

Nightwalker
03-09-2005, 00:50
anyways, did anyone read the post on carrying guns on the AT? I think that the trail would be a safer place if hikers were to carry a sword. AND they are comprable to a gun in terms of weight without the added weight of ammo and fear of accidentally shooting yourself in the foot (although, now that i think about it, you could cut your foot off by accident with a sword too). and you can sharpen sticks too.
Yea, I got it. I thought it was a great joke. Don't worry about too many folks being so serious. Be like my hero Sgt Rock. Joke 'em if they can't take a (wait a minute, I don't use that kind of language!)

:D

soccersoldier13
03-10-2005, 09:52
Is carrying a sword on the AT a good idea?? Heck yes; it shows you have skills! The ladies only like you if you have skills...bow-hunting skills, nunchuck skills, heck, even sword skills! Oh baby, I'll definitely have one with me the next time I hit the trail.

RagingHampster
03-10-2005, 17:00
Cool down Napoleon :D

The Old Fhart
03-10-2005, 18:24
Is carrying a sword on the AT a good idea? Reminds me of a limerick which goes:

There once was a pirate named Gates;
Who liked to rubma on skates.
He fell on his cutlass;
And now he is ***less;
And practically useless on dates.

Mouse
03-10-2005, 19:10
When I went backpacking in the Ventana Wilderness a few years ago with two other women, one of them actually DID carry a

Cold Steel LTC Kukri

It did a fanstastic job of cutting firewood. :)

JLB
03-10-2005, 20:52
When I went backpacking in the Ventana Wilderness a few years ago with two other women, one of them actually DID carry a

Cold Steel LTC Kukri

It did a fanstastic job of cutting firewood. :)

One very important no-no when using one of these: don't put a lanyard through the handle, and around your wrist when doing any kind of brush clearing. I read an article where the guy missed what he was trying to cut at, and the Kukri left his hand, but the lanyard did it's purpose, but kept the blade swinging right on around, and into his thigh. He's lucky he didn't bleed out.

The Gurkhas scared the crap out of their enemies in hand to hand combat with these weapons, as they would easily take off a limb.

Mouse
03-10-2005, 21:14
That was the creepy part. It has SO much momentum from the wide blade that she could cut thick branches like butter. Still, a bit heavy for thruhiking. :jump

JLB
03-11-2005, 00:09
That was the creepy part. It has SO much momentum from the wide blade that she could cut thick branches like butter. Still, a bit heavy for thruhiking. :jump

It's really more the design of the blade. Every thing you hit is at an angle, and you get a sliding cut, versus a straight edge cut.

ocourse
03-11-2005, 05:15
Heck no, no sword here. I use my blunt knee for breaking firewood (often a mistake). I carry a tiny pocket knife for chores. I carry a firearm when legal for protection.

JLB
03-11-2005, 08:05
I carry a firearm when legal for protection.

I have no opinion on that matter. :D

SGT Rock
03-11-2005, 08:18
LOL, that is a good one :D

-MYST-
03-17-2005, 23:10
I don't know, I got to know the weights before I can make up my mind. I like the hidden sword in the hiking stick idea the best.

Teatime
03-18-2005, 04:14
Why not simply carry a "Pen"? After all, don't they say that "the Pen is mightier than the Sword"? Also, it is a heck of a lot lighter and can be used for writing in Shelter logs, etc.:banana

Hyway
03-18-2005, 10:55
Penn? I hate him as an actor. If had to share a tent with him I think I would need the sword anyway for hari Kari (SP).

Dances with Mice
03-18-2005, 11:32
Penn? I hate him as an actor. If had to share a tent with him I think I would need the sword anyway for hari Kari (SP).
I prefer Teller. But Penn can swallow swords and catch bullets in his teeth.

Hyway
03-18-2005, 11:37
You may be right. that invisible thread could come in handy.

Tim Rich
03-18-2005, 11:52
I wish some threads on this board were invisible.

lbbrown
03-18-2005, 11:56
Check out the Tom Brown Tracker knife--Now thats a blade!
Also seen in the movie "THE HUNTED". Available at www.trackerschool.com (http://www.trackerschool.com/).
Every hiker should have one. They are only $300.

Jester2000
03-18-2005, 16:59
Congrats to all on one of the funniest threads I've read. And I agree with SGT. Rock. I've known plenty of people who were "very serious" about their thru-hike. But the people who seemed to complete most often were the ones who had fun and possessed a sense of humor (and a sword).

steve hiker
03-18-2005, 18:25
Only the men carry swords. The women carry sheathes. :dance

lumpy
03-18-2005, 22:50
My second post here on Whiteblaze. Yes, I always carry a very, very sharp Samurai Sword with me at all times. The "Sword" was taken from a Japanese Colonel on Tarawa in WWII and will not be returned to their family as it desecrated my family. This is an ancient Samurai Sword adorned with the Bushido Code and other inscriptions that date to the 1700's (I had it appraised and dated). I consider it a family heirloom and trophy and will protect it with my life, if necessary. I also carry other projectile weapons that enhance my offense if need be. So beware, I come bearing arms!

hikerjohnd
03-18-2005, 22:55
I also carry other projectile weapons that enhance my offense if need be.
I hope you understand that the longer you are on the trail, your offense is enhanced naturally. I once overheard two mosquitoes talking about biting a hiker. One said "If you eat that, you're crazy! I have a choice between a hiker and a buffalo - I'm taking the buffalo!" :D

lumpy
03-18-2005, 22:58
That depends if it's a male or a female.

ocourse
03-19-2005, 11:36
Lumpy, are you serious? That thing must be worth quite a bit!

-MYST-
03-19-2005, 14:08
Only the men carry swords. The women carry sheathes. :dance

Best comment so far. should have been obvious long ago.....

Panzer1
03-19-2005, 14:45
I could bring my Tiger. I could use it to widen the trail. (the entire trail)
I could use it to take care of those squirels too.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Backpacking/Tiger.jpg

Panzer

Panzer1
03-19-2005, 14:47
Sorry,

picture didn't post.

Panzer

lumpy
03-19-2005, 22:09
Tamstan: Yes, the sword is real and hanging on the wall beside me as I post. As far as when and where it goes, well, I'll not comment further. The imagination is a wonderful thing to waste.

ocourse
03-20-2005, 18:00
Tamstan: Yes, the sword is real and hanging on the wall beside me as I post. As far as when and where it goes, well, I'll not comment further. The imagination is a wonderful thing to waste.
A friend was telling me about the histories of some of the swords like yours. One guy tracked the family down and sold the sword back to them for a huge sum of money! But I would also think it's more than just about money for you.

Nightwalker
03-21-2005, 00:59
Sorry,

picture didn't post.

Panzer
It didn't post because you're trying to link to an image on your computer. If you were to accidentally make that work, it would mean other, very bad, things would be possible as well.

Kozmic Zian
03-21-2005, 08:23
Yea.......I think A Sword is not adequate, one needs throwing stars, knives, an armored helmet, ninja shoes (w/ split toes), a mace, and a couple of towing carts to put it all in. Then you might have a chance to make it all the way! KZ@:confused:

The Old Fhart
03-21-2005, 08:36
franklooper-"If you were to accidentally make that work, it would mean other, very bad, things would be possible as well." I really think that is one of the best non-technical descriptions of a technical concept I've heard in a long time! :clap

It reminds me of a line from "Ghostbusters" where they describing what would happen if their ectoplasmic rays would cross.

alanthealan
03-21-2005, 10:00
I had a Leko Sword with anti-shock and a composite spar, but the point got jambed in a rock. Now it is just another sword in the stone.

hikerjohnd
03-21-2005, 10:11
I had a Leko Sword with anti-shock and a composite spar, but the point got jambed in a rock. Now it is just another sword in the stone.
Oh that's baaaaad.... :D

Grey Fox
03-21-2005, 10:46
Why not go for both the gun and the sword? here's a bad picture of a gunblade, (revolver and sword combined) that'll take care of those peskey trolls under the bridge and dragon's on Drogons Tooth!

http://rpgfan.com/pics/ff8/english/ff8-18.jpg

Grey Fox
03-21-2005, 10:46
Why not go for both the gun and the sword? here's a bad picture of a gunblade, (revolver and sword combined) that'll take care of those peskey trolls under the bridge and dragon's on Dragons Tooth!

http://rpgfan.com/pics/ff8/english/ff8-18.jpg

JP
03-25-2005, 13:55
Who needs a sword when you have a well trained Rat Terrier !

Stoker53
03-26-2005, 09:30
To heck w/a sword. Carry a hi tech blowgun instead. Lots more recretational aspects ( mouse hunting in the shelters ) and it's way lighter.

BTW....this is my 2nd post and no one has given me any crap yet. What a nice bunch of folks.:)

smokymtnsteve
03-26-2005, 09:37
stoker..i can't believe U would EVEN consider killing wildlife on the trail..those mice were there before U and U want to come in and slaughter them, why,

(just didn't want U to feel left out ;)

Stoker53
03-26-2005, 09:55
Ahhh...beginning to feel right at home. Thanks SMS !!!:)

saimyoji
03-26-2005, 11:00
Stoker, you arrogant A**. How dare you even suggest killing wildlife along the AT. You obviously know nothing about the intended purposes and regulations for hiking the AT. Hang up your boots until you've read every post here by Rocks'N'Roots and know EXACTLY what you're supposed to do on the trail.

Killing shelter mice....sheesh...I bet you hike with a dog, cell phone and a bong.

(How's that? :D)

The Old Fhart
03-26-2005, 11:09
Geez, I'll have to start paying more attention, I thought I was in the "humor" thread after reading the last few posts. :)

But, looking back on it, the last time I was there, it was getting pretty damn serious!

Kerosene
03-26-2005, 13:20
In the spirit of only carrying stuff with multiple uses, you could add a lightweight adjustable blowtorch to your isobutane canister. This would be perfect for getting ferreting out all those meeces from their hiding places, although it could be a little hard on the wooden shelters. Few advesaries would want to take you on directly, although it would take a bit of practice to get the sucker assembled and lit if a guy with a sword is confronting you.

On its lowest setting it would be ideal for carmelizing your créme brulée just before bedtime. :banana

Stoker53
03-26-2005, 15:22
Keep the love coming. After almost 30 yrs of marriage to the same woman I thrive on abuse.

Does it matter if I advoacte boiling the shelter mice with a few parsnips or potatoes? My dad always taught me to eat what I kill.

Stoker53
03-26-2005, 15:27
Stoker, you arrogant A**. How dare you even suggest killing wildlife along the AT. You obviously know nothing about the intended purposes and regulations for hiking the AT. Hang up your boots until you've read every post here by Rocks'N'Roots and know EXACTLY what you're supposed to do on the trail.

Killing shelter mice....sheesh...I bet you hike with a dog, cell phone and a bong.

(How's that? :D) S aimyoji...quit carrying the bong years ago ( too heavy and I'm now old ). I currently have a titanium "one hitter".:clap

Pencil Pusher
03-27-2005, 00:07
Hey one dude got to vote twice. Do the Sesame Street thing with those 'not sure' and those that do carry a penis-compensating sword.

saimyoji
03-27-2005, 00:13
Actually, it looks like two people voted twice, or one person three times.

ImaStegasaurus
05-15-2005, 22:31
hey, who is this guy?

Tempest12
05-16-2005, 01:30
I'm going to try to give a real answer to this. A sword would not be practical for a number of reasons. 1) even a light sword would be fairly heavy. 2) it requires quite a bit of skill to use. 3) a good quality sword will be expensive and require quite a bit of care. 4) most importantly, I think that they are illegal in most areas since the blade in longer than 5 inches.

I have, on the other hand, carried a spear on a number of day and weekend hikes in east Texas due to the large number of wild dogs and pigs. I never had to use the end with the knife on it, but I used the blunt end on many dogs with much success. Works well at keeping them at a distance.

Ender
05-16-2005, 14:00
OK, I gotta be honest here. I'm not knocking the people who carry swords, but I can't for the life of me imagine why one would bother carrying a sword on the AT. Just does not compute in my brain. Way heavy for very little function. I just don't get it.

yellowsun
05-16-2005, 21:22
When I first read that I really laughed...not at the person that said that...Seems maybe that person has never hiked before and is experiancing anxiety about the animals in the woods...I have seen a mama Moose and her baby..It was in front of us in Montana..We knew enough to just let them be.If a Moose or any large animal Like a Bear charges you it is because you have done something to scare it or entice it.When and How will people ever loose from their minds the brainwash that animals are inherantly hostile and need to be killed.I cannot in my mind see how you could kill an animal with a sword unless you had cartoon like superstrength, agility and speed.Someones been watching way too much television...You need to get a sword and kill your brainwashing tv.I also sense hostility in anyone that wants to bring a large sword and sees themselves killing things like squirells as they walk. I once almost stepped in a nest of baby copperheads barefoot and moved my foot in the nick of time. I also observed a huge rattlesnake about three feet and it's babies curled up around it sunning themselves on a rock in the Ozarks...Watched them at a safe distance...
It's a bit funny ...actually a really funny visual...But then a tad creepy.No really creepy. Other peoples dogs are a real drag when camoing and can carry all kinds of parasites and worms and Parvo.
A sword on the trail...what the.........:sun

dfiske
05-18-2005, 15:45
You know, there's a thread here called
"Ideas to keep stupid Hunters at bay."

Some of this sword info might add to that
discussion.

Buckingham
07-10-2005, 23:58
No, I do not carry a sword on the trail. I do of have a collection of Klingon battle swords(batleth), and am fully aware of the inherent geekdom that is implied in such. One night, sitting at home, I got plastered and decided I was a Klingon DaQah Master. Plucking one of the swords from their place of display on my wall I proceeded to show my warrior abilities by smacking myself in the back of my head, causing a huge gash. Apparently my mother was right, you really should'nt play with sharp objects.

Moxie00
08-19-2005, 20:11
If it wasn't for the price of gas I think a chain saw would be a better choice.

detho
09-04-2006, 20:58
Perhaps I'm the only one to fess up to it...

I carry a sword that fits inside a 55inch hiking staff. Shoulder high, with a sleek single edged 25inch blade inside. I've walked by hundreds of people who had no idea what I was carrying.

No, It's not for bear or trolls, or even my annoying buddy... It's a tool. Last week we were doing PA-NY and got rained on...I split up a bunch of fallen birch and pine with the blade...and made a fire; Dryed our gear nice and fast. The whole staff doubles as a tarp pole as well.

Bottom of the staff is drilled out to swap drywall nails as they wear.

Main reason I carry the thing is for cutting wood. Yes I could carry a hatchet, the but sword fits so nice inside the staff. Weighs out at 1 pound 11 ounces on the postal scale. I'm a very weight weary hiker too.. gregory g-pack and a 9 pound base weight.

hopefulhiker
09-04-2006, 21:11
there was a guy last year who carried a plastic battery operated sword and a shield up the trail. Name was Moonshine also was sponsored by moonpie and left moonpies wherever he went..

TIDE-HSV
09-05-2006, 11:19
but I did carry a machete once. I was going back into #13 on the GSP to try and recover my wife's pack, which had been swiped by a bear the weekend before. When I heard he'd learned to chew through ropes during the previous week, I didn't even make the climb. I sprayed my ropes for my bear bag with pepper spray, only to find out later that, although they don't want it in their eyes, they regard it as delicious hot sauce on ropes...

Programbo
09-05-2006, 19:31
OK..I missed all of this thread but I will say that back in the 70`s I didn`t quite carry a "sword" but I did carry a long WWII Japanese bayonet lashed along the length of my pack frame..It had an overall length of 20 inches with 15 inches being blade..Nice heavy metal thing..I also usually carried a 10 inch Buck hunting knife and a .32 revolver w/a box of ammo...Hmmm...Maybe that`s why my pack always weighed near 50 pounds...LOL

greentick
09-05-2006, 19:55
The Claymore is great for bears and perimeter defense!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/Claymore_mine_af.jpg/300px-Claymore_mine_af.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Claymore_mine_af.jpg)

Newb
09-06-2006, 08:07
I carry one of those little toothpick swords...in case I have to fight off a martini...

Dances with Mice
09-06-2006, 08:14
If you carry a sword or machete or an axe to cut wood near a shelter then inevitably you're going to miss your target, hit the ground and create a hole.

And there's already enough axe-holes around the shelters.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-06-2006, 08:21
And there's already enough axe-holes around the shelters.::: Chokes on coffee :::

ishi
09-07-2006, 08:23
Why not carry a 650,000 V taser gun. Lighter, cheaper.

Kerosene
09-07-2006, 08:58
Why not carry a 650,000 V taser gun. Lighter, cheaper.But not as noble.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 09:52
I propose you fellows ditch your LED's and carry a light saber. It will save your honor and keep you from killing yourself as you make midnight trips to the privy. Oh yeah, you can also hit things with it. May the force be with you.

Nightwalker
09-07-2006, 10:07
OK, I gotta be honest here. I'm not knocking the people who carry swords, but I can't for the life of me imagine why one would bother carrying a sword on the AT. Just does not compute in my brain. Way heavy for very little function. I just don't get it.
The thread was started as a joke.

Just Jeff
09-07-2006, 10:26
I propose you fellows ditch your LED's and carry a light saber. It will save your honor and keep you from killing yourself as you make midnight trips to the privy. Oh yeah, you can also hit things with it. May the force be with you.

But you can only play baseball with it if someone else brough a laser gun.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 11:19
A stick would work in a pinch.... and once it catches on, there will be plenty of light sabers out there.

What's that humming noise

Just Jeff
09-07-2006, 11:21
Yeah, but then it would turn into a pissing contest. I see your schwartz is as big as mine...

I'll have to get that big huge Sith lightsaber on the Star Wars spoofs site just to save my manhood.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 11:23
Don't worry Jeff, I'll get you one of these (http://faluninfo.net/pictures/FDI_Press/2003-07-22-washington-monument.jpg).

Just Jeff
09-07-2006, 11:41
Oh, I have one of those. But I leave it at home b/c it so pointy and the tip catches on my silk hiking skir....kilt. On my kilt. I don't like runs in my kilt.

(Heh...I won't tell you the FIRST thing I was gonna say...this is a family website!)

Gray Blazer
09-07-2006, 13:59
If you carry a sword or machete or an axe to cut wood near a shelter then inevitably you're going to miss your target, hit the ground and create a hole.

And there's already enough axe-holes around the shelters.

Do you know how to catch a hiker? Put peas around those axe-holes. When the hiker comes to take a pea, kick him in the axe-hole.:banana

Dances with Mice
09-07-2006, 14:55
Do you know how to catch a hiker? Put peas around those axe-holes. When the hiker comes to take a pea, kick him in the axe-hole.Then set him on fire. That would then be a flaming axe-hole.

Just Jeff
09-07-2006, 15:08
Even worse...he'd be IN a flaming axe-hole.

But when you dump water in there to put it out, it'd be a dripping axe-hole and I don't even want to think about that.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 15:52
This thread is starting to smell like axe.

StarLyte
09-07-2006, 16:04
Don't worry Jeff, I'll get you one of these (http://faluninfo.net/pictures/FDI_Press/2003-07-22-washington-monument.jpg).

Oooooh how I love phallic symbols....thank you FD.

Skidsteer
09-07-2006, 17:41
There actually was a hiker this year carrying a light-saber. Well, it was a lighted hiking staff at any rate.

The switch had broken by the time he made it Ron's April Fool's hiker bash. Can't remember his name......

Just Jeff
09-07-2006, 18:00
Oooooh how I love phallic symbols....

Woman after my heart.

I especially liked the light of heaven shining upon it from below. Looks like my genitals. In my own mind, at least... :D

Hrm. Think it's safe to say this thread has drifted.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-07-2006, 18:50
If you can believe it.... someone actually designed one....
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/lightsaber-1.jpg
How strange.....

But, screw the swords. I've said it before, this is what is coming with me on my next long hike....
http://www.ruinsofmorning.net/images/blog/metal_storm_on_talon_ugv.jpg

halibut15
09-07-2006, 20:20
I had totally forgotten about this thread. Best one ever.

Just Jeff
09-07-2006, 21:01
But, screw the swords. I've said it before, this is what is coming with me on my next long hike....
http://www.ruinsofmorning.net/images/blog/metal_storm_on_talon_ugv.jpg

Hrm...I bet that thing could carry it's own gas and your pack. Maybe even you. Those Wafflestomper treads might need to be changed to some more trail-friendly things, though. Like tank treads, maybe.

And if you put a JetBoil on it, you could even cook while you're still hiking. But that may be a bit extreme for you... :D

Two Speed
09-07-2006, 21:08
http://www.ruinsofmorning.net/images/blog/metal_storm_on_talon_ugv.jpgJust Jeff, you beat me to it. If I had that critter I'd ride it. Best part is I bet you'd have absolutely no trouble finding room at a shelter on a rainy night. Heck, I bet you could talk on your cell phone any place you wanted to and no one would say a word. Just need a dog team to carry extra ammo . . . Anyone know if Smoky Mountain Steve would consider loaning a few dogs out?

icemanat95
09-07-2006, 21:08
I study Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu (a classical Japanese sword art) if I were to undertake another thru-hike, I would find it pretty hard leaving my iaito behind, though maybe a good wakizashi could stand in nicely, though it would be a useless and problematic accoutrement. Of course I also study Shindo Muso Ryu Jojutsu, and all that is required to practice it is a 50 inch (or so) jo staff, which is also a nearly ideal length for a hiking staff, so I'd be OK without the sword.

Just Jeff
09-07-2006, 21:12
Maybe I'd bring a sai so I could roast 3 hot dogs at a time.

mweinstone
09-07-2006, 21:21
why sword human. large ugly bags of mostly water. you destroy . life in sand. we. you kirk . you destroy life in sand.we now destroy you. no more talk now. death everywhere. you die now too.

mweinstone
09-07-2006, 21:24
so far we have 19% of everyone carrying swords!

Just Jeff
09-07-2006, 21:50
Hrm. If I carry a light saber and a sai (so I can roast three hot dogs over my light saber while I walk), do I count twice? That might bump the numbers up even more.

Michele
09-07-2006, 22:37
I'm carrying the sword that Liono carried from the cartoon Thundercats! It's small until you say "thunder, thunder, thundercats hooooe" and it gets 3 x longer after that. Compact when not needed, yet very effective and intimidating when needed. Really the perfect sword for a thru-hike.

Nightwalker
09-08-2006, 05:38
why sword human. large ugly bags of mostly water. you destroy . life in sand. we. you kirk . you destroy life in sand.we now destroy you. no more talk now. death everywhere. you die now too.
You're an inspiration to stonerz everywhere. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-08-2006, 07:28
I'm carrying the sword that Liono carried from the cartoon Thundercats! It's small until you say "thunder, thunder, thundercats hooooe" and it gets 3 x longer after that. Compact when not needed, yet very effective and intimidating when needed. Really the perfect sword for a thru-hike.I am steadfastly resisting the urge to comment on any parallel symbolism.... while LMAO.

Gray Blazer
09-08-2006, 09:35
You're an inspiration to stonerz everywhere. :D
Couldn't have said it better myself!;)

Michele
09-08-2006, 11:11
I am steadfastly resisting the urge to comment on any parallel symbolism.... while LMAO.

Yes..after I hit the "submit" button and read it, I thought better of the way I worded that post! :D Never quite realized how "symbolic" that particular cartoon was, considering I was a child when I watched it. :rolleyes:

Just Jeff
09-08-2006, 11:45
Michele, I'm just impressed that you remember his name. I don't know another woman who would.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-08-2006, 14:10
That's a Star Trek reference, dopey, not a Star Wars reference. ( funny as hell still! ). Yes, I'm a Star Trek and Star Wars nerd.

Michele
09-08-2006, 15:37
Michele, I'm just impressed that you remember his name. I don't know another woman who would.

Only my all time favorite cartoon. I also remember Snarf, and Tigra, but although I can see the other characters in my head, can't remember their names. I once bought two identical plastic swords as a kid, broke one in half and pretended they were that sword from Thundercats. I was a VERY bored child....very bored. :D

Just Jeff
09-08-2006, 16:41
Did you ever watch Tranzor-Z? Not sure he ever carried a sword, but the girl robot was HOOOOOT! Voltron carried a pretty good sword, though. I was gonna beat up He-Man for his sword but he wanted to come hiking with me...so I'll let him carry my pack while I cook hot dogs on my light saber.

mweinstone
09-08-2006, 16:43
all said i should carry the xcalleber sword when i just spoke to them on a confrence call. wally gater says hes not the fastest allegater in the swamp what with his knee replacement. and kimba lives in a wildlife preserve in one of the waring nations of africa and dosnt like the bombs at night when hes sleeping.snaggelpuss has only been sober two years and says hi. chim chimm and sprital will be speaking on child abuse from ther cells on an upcomming abc special about stars in prison.and twoshay and dum dum are just glad for the gay marrige bill as they resent haveing been forced to remain in the closet all these years.snaggelpuss is the only one who followes minnisota smiths hike. he learned of the thread in rehab.

Spock
09-08-2006, 17:42
Here you go, it has the whole Samuri mistique and everything. OOOoooo.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0016445515631a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=machetti&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=machetti&noImage=0

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-08-2006, 17:49
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0016445515631a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=machetti&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=machetti&noImage=0::: Female dino whips out plastic to order one for the male dino :::

Amigi'sLastStand
09-08-2006, 17:53
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0016445515631a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=machetti&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=machetti&noImage=0
Whoa, cool find. I carried one of those in South America. Different brand, but it looked almost identical, like a big f***ing kbar tanto. I'll tell you what, the thing held an edge and would go through 1" branches in one swing with little effort.

I just bought it. I hope it's good quality.
Memories.....I miss my previous life......where's my rifle....off to the range.

Brrrb Oregon
09-08-2006, 19:56
so far we have 19% of everyone carrying swords!

Sure we do. And what percent of people report attending church every Sunday? And let's not get started with the number who insist they never turn to themselves for intimate companionship.

Either that, or the SCA is taking over the AT. Oh, well, they're a pleasant enough bunch. If the mead is good, I'll take a trencher with the rest. (Just keep thy swords to their own sheaths, thou knaves! :D )

StarLyte
09-08-2006, 21:18
Let me read this again.....someone actually posted a friggin survey here to ask if one would carry a sword on the AT?
Is it just me?

peanuts
09-08-2006, 21:29
YES!!!! and it's not just you pondering the same.....

Amigi'sLastStand
09-08-2006, 21:32
It's a spoof, ladies.:D

VictoriaM
09-08-2006, 22:13
What gets me is that 44 people don't know if they carry a sword or not. How can you not know that??

Michele
09-08-2006, 23:02
What gets me is that 44 people don't know if they carry a sword or not. How can you not know that??

Maybe it's like when you'v been on the AT long enough that you start hiking after a break...and realize you've forgotten you pack, but then realize you ARE wearing your pack. It's just become a part of you. I think a sword could easily become that comfortable, especially if you have it strapped down the outside of your leg. ;)

I just love silly posts.

TIDE-HSV
09-08-2006, 23:47
my machete strapped to the back of my pack. If I had been charged by the bear that stole my wife's pack, I would have made a comic figure, running in circles trying to reach my blade. OTOH, having it strapped to the outside of a leg would seem likely to tend to give one sort of a peg-leg gait. Maybe swords combined with hiking are best left to Monte Python...:-?

SGT Rock
09-09-2006, 10:07
Because of popular demand and not being able to figure out why or how it got closed, I have re-opened this thread. I also moved to humor in case some people couldn't figure out from reading it the thread was a joke.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-09-2006, 10:40
::: high five to SgtRock :::

Blissful
09-09-2006, 10:58
It's a great thread, I voted yes!!!! he he he

Blissful
09-09-2006, 11:01
It's a great thread, I voted yes!!!! he he he

I'll be carrying a miniature sized one though. Approx 4 by 5 inches, give or take. Haven't gotten out the ruler yet.
:sun

Tha Wookie
09-09-2006, 12:31
I always dreamed of carrying one to help with random overgrown/massively dewey sections.

They have them for sale in Cherokee, NC.... it comes out of a walking cane (very sneaky)

Hmmmm just curious, are there any regs about carrying a machete on the trail?

StarLyte
09-09-2006, 12:35
what's a sword ?

Nightwalker
09-09-2006, 14:08
I'm carrying the sword that Liono carried from the cartoon Thundercats! It's small until you say "thunder, thunder, thundercats hooooe" and it gets 3 x longer after that. Compact when not needed, yet very effective and intimidating when needed. Really the perfect sword for a thru-hike.
In other hands they call that a weiner*. Same or similar properties, just doesn't require magic words to extend it. After a couple of weeks onna trail, a change of wind will do the trick.

*(I figured calling it a **** would get me in trouble.)

Nightwalker
09-09-2006, 14:13
Let me read this again.....someone actually posted a friggin survey here to ask if one would carry a sword on the AT?
Is it just me?
It was humour based on a very contentious thread about carrying guns on the trail.

Nightwalker
09-09-2006, 14:15
what's a sword ?
If I had to guess, I'd say that you've been drinking today. :)

That's a different thread, BTW...

StarLyte
09-09-2006, 14:30
Nope......no drinkie......that's only once in a great while. And when I can share it.

I'm just making fun of this thread.....and obviously it's making fun of me too.....:D :D

SGT Rock
09-09-2006, 14:39
Actually I answered "I don't know" seemed funny.

Anyway - I always carry two sabers on the trail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CavalryBC.gif

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 14:56
In other hands they call that a weiner*. Same or similar properties, just doesn't require magic words to extend it. After a couple of weeks onna trail, a change of wind will do the trick.

But sometimes the magic words do help a bit...or at least make it more fun.

Thundercats....HOOOOOOOOOO!!

Amigi'sLastStand
09-09-2006, 15:12
what's a sword ?
It a long, hard, phallic thingie. It does not, however, take two D batteries.:D

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 15:17
Well, the old fashioned light sabers do.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-09-2006, 15:55
what's a sword ?Something all the guys have and are inordinately proud of. Freud mistook us ladies rolling our eyes for envy. :rolleyes: Guys can never figure out what we are thinking.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-09-2006, 17:24
Something all the guys have and are inordinately proud of.
Yes, I am extremely proud of mine!;) :D

Freud mistook us ladies rolling our eyes for envy.
He was right, too.:cool:

Guys can never figure out what we are thinking.

We know what you are thinking, "I wish I could pee standing up and write my name in the snow.":banana

Just Jeff
09-09-2006, 18:21
And now they can..."The TravelMate’s rectangular, cone-shaped discharge tip ensures a straight stream..." I'm sure you could write your name with that! Doesn't do the other things, though.

http://www.travelmateinfo.com/page002.html

Hey - have you heard this (http://www.lyricsdownload.com/king-missile-detachable-penis-lyrics.html) song?

Man, this thread has gone downhill.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-09-2006, 19:39
And now they can..."The TravelMate’s rectangular, cone-shaped discharge tip ensures a straight stream..." I'm sure you could write your name with that! Doesn't do the other things, though.

http://www.travelmateinfo.com/page002.html

Hey - have you heard this (http://www.lyricsdownload.com/king-missile-detachable-penis-lyrics.html) song?

Man, this thread has gone downhill.
Damn, no. The site that song on is a known spyware site, so my SpySweeper blocks it.

But yes, this thread has gone down hill!:D

And that "feminine hygiene product" is about the weirdest thing I've seen since I saw a speculum(?) when I went to the OB/GYN with my wife.

mweinstone
09-09-2006, 20:50
its been a long day. im drinking a beer and i wanna talk about swords damit.

mweinstone
09-09-2006, 20:53
about the traveling blind swordsman/massuse? there directed by some super icon of film. iacorra?that sword is cooooooooooooool.

Nightwalker
09-09-2006, 22:16
about the traveling blind swordsman/massuse? there directed by some super icon of film. iacorra?that sword is cooooooooooooool.
There have been two blind swordsman/masseuse movies lately. They were both cool for different reasons. "Zatoichi" was the lower quality of the two--but still good. I don't remember the name of the other one.

mweinstone
09-10-2006, 15:02
the sword thread. my home away from home when i need time off from the minnisoda smith update. swords,.. the backbones of hiking. the reason for the season.why cant we break the 50 % carrying barrier. we need total sword ownership. remember that sword dartanion had? that crap was cool.and they got a candy bar named after them. need i say more in support of swords? me thinks not!

OldStormcrow
09-12-2006, 00:24
Ok.....I'll have to admit that I have night hiked, naked hiked, stoned hiked, etc., and yes, have even carried a sword one at least one occasion. It was in Pisgah National Forest, Shining Rock Wilderness Area, not on the A.T. I was young, nimble, and foolish in those carefree days, so I carried my hand-and-a-half European bastard (I'm not refering to it's parentage) sword. It looked really cool stuck in the ground in the snow in front of my tent and hanging off the back of my pack. It also went quite well with the pewter dinnerware service that I was using that day.....

Brrrb Oregon
09-12-2006, 01:45
the sword thread. my home away from home when i need time off from the minnisoda smith update. swords,.. the backbones of hiking. the reason for the season.why cant we break the 50 % carrying barrier. we need total sword ownership. remember that sword dartanion had? that crap was cool.and they got a candy bar named after them. need i say more in support of swords? me thinks not!

yeah, but a 3 musketeers bar is no snickers. snickers have nuts. you aren't going over 50% people packing when there are no nuts. what's left when things get melty, if there are no nuts?

some of us have swords....which is ok, as long as it isn't too heavy and you also have the snickers.

Gray Blazer
09-12-2006, 07:56
yeah, but a 3 musketeers bar is no snickers. snickers have nuts. you aren't going over 50% people packing when there are no nuts. what's left when things get melty, if there are no nuts?

some of us have swords....which is ok, as long as it isn't too heavy and you also have the snickers.

Yeah, but a Peter Paul Almond Joy has 2 big nuts. This thread has a lot of nuts, for that manner. I carry a sword in the Shakesperian sense. Ye gads and gadzooks!!

Just Jeff
09-12-2006, 10:10
I often get snickers when I pull out my sword. Oh wait.....

Brrrb Oregon
09-12-2006, 16:49
Yeah, but a Peter Paul Almond Joy has 2 big nuts. This thread has a lot of nuts, for that manner. I carry a sword in the Shakesperian sense. Ye gads and gadzooks!!

Almond joys....those I love. But Peter Paul and Mary didn't carry swords. They had wicked sweet axes and they preached alot about what to do with hammers, but they were actually pretty down on swords.

I often get snickers when I pull out my sword. Oh wait.....

You mean that wait is where you get the snickers?

Just Jeff
09-12-2006, 18:08
Yep - I pull out my sword and I get snickers about the weight. But then the gasps come when I start the swordplay. Satisfies.

bfitz
09-12-2006, 20:11
Snicker snack!

Just Jeff
09-12-2006, 21:37
ArcticMUD?!

bfitz
09-12-2006, 21:44
Legion of Steel, right? Haven't heard about that in a while....

mweinstone
09-12-2006, 21:54
now theres a sword . comes with sheet of clean paper. extra sheets of paper sold sepratly .

Amigi'sLastStand
09-12-2006, 22:28
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/mk19.jpg
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/xm8-poster.jpg

Choices, choices.....

Oh, this is the sword thread....
http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/Images/sword-of-runes-final2web_small.jpg

and some snickers.. and jolly ranchers. ok, back to the candy thread...

Nean
09-13-2006, 01:10
I've such a nice sword ( if you believe everything you hear) that I dated a gal for years who, BTW, made a good living w/ the circus.:-? :eek: ;) :D

Heater
09-13-2006, 03:26
Yep - I pull out my sword and I get snickers about the weight. But then the gasps come when I start the swordplay. Satisfies.

Is it when you start the swordplay that you break out the butterfingers? :D

woodsy
09-13-2006, 05:26
I've such a nice sword ( if you believe everything you hear) that I dated a gal for years who, BTW, made a good living w/ the circus.:-? :eek: ;) :D

So was part of her circus act swallowing swords ? Just curious.

Nean
09-13-2006, 08:48
hehehe, Woodsy said part.:rolleyes: :eek: :D :banana

Just Jeff
09-13-2006, 10:09
Well played, Austexs, well played indeed.

But alas, no. It's when I break out the Mounds (http://www.candydirect.com/king/Mounds-King.html). And sometimes the King Size Nutrageous (http://www.candydirect.com/king/Nut-Rageous-King.html) makes an appearance, too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-13-2006, 10:46

But alas, no. It's when I break out the Mounds (http://www.candydirect.com/king/Mounds-King.html). And sometimes the King Size Nutrageous (http://www.candydirect.com/king/Nut-Rageous-King.html) makes an appearance, too.::: :clap mopping coffee off my monitor :clap :::

Heater
09-13-2006, 13:53

But alas, no. It's when I break out the Mounds (http://www.candydirect.com/king/Mounds-King.html). And sometimes the King Size Nutrageous (http://www.candydirect.com/king/Nut-Rageous-King.html) makes an appearance, too.

When the match is over everyone enjoys a Milky Way. Willie Wonka smiles.
:) :) :D :D

Heater
09-13-2006, 14:03
::: :clap mopping coffee off my monitor :clap :::

I hope that you're not reading this on your laptop... in church. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-13-2006, 17:17
I hope that you're not reading this on your laptop... in church. ;)You silly boy, I'd be mopping off communion wine....

Waterbuffalo
09-13-2006, 20:26
I only use the Force no sword needed

bfitz
09-14-2006, 00:12
Swordless, eh?

Brrrb Oregon
09-15-2006, 00:30
I only use the Force no sword needed

But you do carry sugar? If not even kisses or nuts, then jawbreakers, at least? Jolly Ranchers in every artificial flavor? You can't hike without sugar or an appreciation for both the ridiculous and the sublime. Well, somebody could, maybe, the poor b******s. I couldn't. OK, wouldn't. If I were crossing the Alps to flee the Nazis, I'd cope without chocolate. Otherwise, forget it.
Still, the Force cannot replace the treat bag. Life is too short! :banana

Tinker
09-15-2006, 01:34
I carry a Swiss Army Adventurer with a locking blade. Some ultralighters consider it a sword.:rolleyes:

Just Jeff
09-15-2006, 09:47
I'm in the AF. Sometimes it's kinda funny to see the pilots walking around with these huge lockblades stuck in their flightsuits. Big heavy handles w/ thick 4-5" blades that make their flightsuits hang down on one side, but they gotta have the little clip hanging out the zipper b/c it would probably knock somebody out if it was INSIDE the pocket and they turned around too fast. That, and no one would see their huge folding lockblade sword if they didn't clip it on. And the only thing I've ever seen it used for? Random office tasks and opening MREs. They have two more knives in the survival vests...one's a KBar but it doesn't look as cool...not all black with a cool logo and a little clippy thing.

Guess you can never have enough knives, though. Especially when they fold out to look like swords.

bfitz
09-15-2006, 10:48
I like those black british commando knives, they don't gleam while you're hiding in shadows....

sum41punk91
09-28-2006, 02:54
what you do is you get one of those tricky shoes in wild wild west that when you stomp the ground a knife pops out of your boot and you kick the dang bear in his shin the a little gun(no refferences intended) pops out of your belt and you shoot him. you got a gun and a sword for less than a pound or so

Just Jeff
09-28-2006, 10:27
A pound on the foot is like five in the pack. I like the gun on the belt buckle idea, though! Does it come with a cell phone option?

sum41punk91
09-28-2006, 13:55
ya got the cell phone gps combo but then it looks funny cuz you are wearing two buckles on one belt

SGT Rock
09-28-2006, 14:14
Also remember that the cell phone offer is void where prohibited by law and activation charges are not included in the listed price. Roaming charges are also a bitch.

Alligator
09-28-2006, 14:19
Also remember that the cell phone offer is void where prohibited by law and activation charges are not included in the listed price. Roaming charges are also a bitch.Please read the instructors. Manufacturer assumes no liability in the event an incoming call is answered in an incorrect operational mode.

Just Jeff
09-28-2006, 17:49
Too much.

On an almost-completely unrelated note, I saw one of those stupid warning things last week. My step-mom's computer has a note on the keyboard: "Warning: use of keyboards have been linked to serious physical injury. Consult a specialist if injury occurs." Or something like that. I know about carpal tunnel, but come on...this thing made it sound like I was gonna lose fingers or something.

Anyway, does the cell/sword have a text message capability so the purists don't hear me talking?

sum41punk91
09-29-2006, 21:39
well ya you got texting but then think about it people will think your a total pervert, it will look like you are sitting there fondeling your lower regions then if you take off the belt your drawers will fall then people will really think you are messed up of course a little barrel popping out of your belt is no better but ya you gotta get these specially made im still working on the blade popping out of the bottom of the feul bottle but the bottles keep blowing up from the sparks made by it

mweinstone
09-29-2006, 21:53
without dow monsanta,.. life itself would be virtually impossible. i mean,.. without chemicals.. that was the logo for dow. it should have beed,...without swords.

atraildreamer
09-30-2006, 06:36
Just saw the old Christopher George movie "Grizzly" where he takes the beast out after it tried to eat the helicopter :eek: (I didn't say it was a good movie! :p ). So where can I get a M-79 grenade launcher? :-?

sum41punk91
10-01-2006, 12:42
army navy store but the 50 call minigun propped on the helicopter is a way better option

1happyhiker
10-18-2006, 19:10
***? a sword? please put down the crack pipe and back away slowly.

-hh

Just Jeff
10-18-2006, 19:26
A multi-use sword-crackpipe?! I bet that would sell if you incorporate it into a belt buckle.

saimyoji
10-18-2006, 19:38
A multi-use sword-crackpipe?! I bet that would sell if you incorporate it into a belt buckle.

And the screen from your bowl could serve as a water filter. :D

icemanat95
10-18-2006, 19:42
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/mk19.jpg
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/xm8-poster.jpg

Choices, choices.....

Oh, this is the sword thread....
http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/Images/sword-of-runes-final2web_small.jpg

and some snickers.. and jolly ranchers. ok, back to the candy thread...

That's Antonio Cejunior's site. He's a designer living and working out of Macau. He makes his living designing clothing and jewelry...I like his clothing designs, especially the very wearable stuff for men...very organic and livable while remaining refined and elegant. Swords are his passion and he designs exceptional ones to be executed by some of the most talented smiths alive today Both in Japan, China, Europe and the US. He's a fine gentleman as well.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-18-2006, 19:48
Antonio Cejunior's designs (http://www.arscives.com/customfashion/gallery.htm) for ladies are wonderful. Perhaps he will create a feminine sword for me?

sum41punk91
10-20-2006, 18:18
just curious i know this is the funniest thing i ever read and gave me a great laugh and is a total mockery of carrying a gun but does anyone actually carry a sword when they hike?