PDA

View Full Version : what IF a bear steals your food?

crazystick
02-11-2011, 05:46
I dont plan on it happening to me, and am experienced in all the bear bagging techniques. always use the PCT method.
but just posing that question, lets say your food is stolen from you by a bear over night.

its 2 days to town in either direction. what do you do? what have people done in the past when something similar happens to them?

maybe clem
02-11-2011, 05:54
I was fortunate enough to find a hitch on a nearby road and get a ride to town. You have to buy new stuff sacks when that happens, too - and more depending on what the bear got.

maybe clem
02-11-2011, 05:54
I was fortunate enough to find a hitch on a nearby road and get a ride to town. You have to buy new stuff sacks when that happens, too - and more depending on what the bear got.

fehchet
02-11-2011, 06:00
Suck it up and hike to the next supply place. All you'll need is water.

moytoy
02-11-2011, 06:26
Track the bear if you can. The bear won't go far before it tears into the bag and will probably leave enough food stuff laying around to get you by for a couple of days. Otherwise do what fehchet said, start walkin...

crazystick
02-11-2011, 06:45
So no yelling "The bear drew first blood!" and making a spear , tying your bandanna around your forhead and setting off into the woods?

moytoy
02-11-2011, 06:47
So no yelling "The bear drew first blood!" and making a spear , tying your bandanna around your forhead and setting off into the woods?
Of course...that's a given!

Torch09
02-11-2011, 07:10

you should already have the bandana on your head

Roland
02-11-2011, 07:18
Guard your food with your life! Keep it under your pillow. :D

Hikes in Rain
02-11-2011, 07:35
Start scrounging through the boxes of, well, stuff left by other hikers. I'd probably have to miss a meal or two, perhaps more, to eat some of the things I've seen.

leaftye
02-11-2011, 07:47
What does 'stolen' mean? Does it mean that a bear somehow ran off with my Ursack or bear canister? If so, I might try to see if the bear abandoned my hopefully intact food nearby. If there are scraps of food here and there from a compromised stuff sack food bag, then of course I'd try to scavenge whatever possible.

I would take the shortest safe route to a road and hope that my attempts at learning how to recognize edible plant life pays off. That would not be enough to fully replace the lost food, but it would blunt the edge off of hunger pangs. Also, I'd slow down to a more efficient pace and hope other hikers are around that will spare some food.

And by safe I mean that I would consider that side routes are not always easier or more rewarding than staying on the main trail.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-11-2011, 08:33

That's a ridiculous suggestion...:rolleyes: that way you could possibly get your tent ripped into also...to each his own I guess...but carelessness with food is the main cause of "problem" bears to begin with..I think there are no problem bears..just problem hikers...geezzz...It's people like this who cause problems for other hikers....yea..I know,,,you're gonna come back with "I never had my food stolen from under my head by a bear ." There could be a first time for every thing..I've never had my food stolen by a bear or any other animal and I always hang mine....whether I'm in an area where it's required by regulations (GSMNP) or not...
But ..what to do IF... start walking out and looking for wild nuts, berries, etc...1 item which can usually be found most anywhere is acorns (at elevations where Oak trees grow so head way down hill if you're too high up)...yes..I've actually tasted them and they are horrible tasting but they will fill you up if you eat enough of them and they are high in protein....just ask any White Tailed Deer.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-11-2011, 08:37

I'd definitely bounce a few large rocks off that sucker if I could find the thief and hope that would scare him off while I still had some food. If he doesn't run away..oh well... sh** happens..

10-K
02-11-2011, 08:37
I would drink more water than usual and if I happened to walk by another hiker I'd explain my situation and ask if they had anything they could spare.

I know I'd be more than happy to share if the situation were reversed.

Other than that, keep moving - what else could you possibly do - sit there?

LoneRidgeRunner
02-11-2011, 08:43
I would drink more water than usual and if I happened to walk by another hiker I'd explain my situation and ask if they had anything they could spare.

I know I'd be more than happy to share if the situation were reversed.

Other than that, keep moving - what else could you possibly do - sit there?

With me it would depend on WHY the hiker's food was stolen..If he had it hung properly and it was stolen anyway, I'd share some food with him. But, if his food was stolen while it was laying on the ground unattended or being used as his pillow..well, then, he'd just be on his own.. of course if the bear ripped his pack off his back while he was transporting his food on the trail I'd help because that wouldn't be his fault either...but that's not likely to happen ..

Pedaling Fool
02-11-2011, 09:02
It is my pillow, but I guard it with my Sven Saw:D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31VTN1l8%2BkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000FXWHK8/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods)

Pedaling Fool
02-11-2011, 09:06
I dont plan on it happening to me, and am experienced in all the bear bagging techniques. always use the PCT method.
but just posing that question, lets say your food is stolen from you by a bear over night.

its 2 days to town in either direction. what do you do? what have people done in the past when something similar happens to them?
This is just one reason to carry a map/compass. There's a good chance that you could find a town quicker than following the trail.

There's always a chance that you will need a quick exit plan, if not for you then for someone else. And not just under the scenario you proposed.

Sickmont
02-11-2011, 09:07
Just remember the rule of threes and you'll be fine.

mweinstone
02-11-2011, 09:16
this happens. and when it does everyone shares food. we all give up our extra food there and then leaving the hiker with all he needs. and i sleep with my food. ill hang only to comfort others when their all hanging and scared of my pillow.

RevLee
02-11-2011, 10:01

Saw that at the Fontana Hilton. He got up in the middle of the night to hang his food once the mice stopped dancing on his head.

The Cleaner
02-11-2011, 10:02
I was at a backcountry camp in GSMNP.Had secured my food bag to a pole w/rack on top(no longer used).Bear somehow climbs pole&bites into bag and then lets go.Food spills out bear takes most and is gone,or so I thought.After checking around camp w/flashlight,I see 2 green eyes moving around the camp a few yards out.Spent the rest of the night waiting for bear to attack my tent.No more problems.Next AM I found the bear's stash of stuff bags&other victims leftovers.Had to walk 5 miles out on empty stomach.Was glad to be able to walk out w/o claw marks on me.Still have pot w/claw holes:eek:....

LoneRidgeRunner
02-11-2011, 10:35
I was at a backcountry camp in GSMNP.Had secured my food bag to a pole w/rack on top(no longer used).Bear somehow climbs pole&bites into bag and then lets go.Food spills out bear takes most and is gone,or so I thought.After checking around camp w/flashlight,I see 2 green eyes moving around the camp a few yards out.Spent the rest of the night waiting for bear to attack my tent.No more problems.Next AM I found the bear's stash of stuff bags&other victims leftovers.Had to walk 5 miles out on empty stomach.Was glad to be able to walk out w/o claw marks on me.Still have pot w/claw holes:eek:....

Gsmnp has a better hanging system now.. the cables stretched between 2 trees with pullies, etc.. bear would have to paw over paw out the cable to get the food....I have seen a pic on WB of a bear doing that to get to a bird feeder...bottom line though...if less people would make it easy for the varmints to get food (ie leaving it just lying around outside tents like some I have seen doing) they wouldn't associate camp areas with easy food and would be less likely to be hanging around looking for tents or cables / ropes with food bags hanging on them.. I also read somewhere that some of the cables in GSMNP are not functioning now....so I always carry some rope and a small mesh bag to load a rock or 2 in to throw over a tree limb Look for a few larger rocks layin around to keep handy to bounce off bears if you catch one trying to climb the cable for your food...It'll either scare him off or not...but at least you gave it a shot..if it pees him off and you end up with teeth marks on your carcass ..oh well..sh** happens :D then it's time to pull out the big buck knife and hope you can make him bleed to death before you're a bear banquet....whats the chance he attacks though? probably 1 in a million..