PDA

View Full Version : Olives...yum

Pedaling Fool
02-11-2011, 10:00
I love green olives, but realized that I've never thought of including them in my food bag. Wouldn't want to carry them in the original glass container, although I believe I could -- spoilage does not seem to be an issue, just don't want to carry the glass container.

However, I could dehydrate, but never done it and never heard of any one doing this. Has anyone ever dehydrated green olives? What was your experience? Seems like the high-fat content would be an issue.

grayfox
02-11-2011, 11:16
I dehydrate black olives and that works well. When I find sliced olives on sale, I buy several cans and dry them. You an do the chopped ones but the fall through the screen so put them on a roll up sheet. Larger pieces take longer to rehydrate but work ok to dry.

I put green olives in a baggie and have not had them last long enough for spoilage to be a problem. Dont put them in your water bottle though unless you like olive flavored water. I have wondered if I could put them in with my olive oil but have never tried that.

Farr Away
02-11-2011, 11:21
If you put your chopped olives on plastic craft canvas (cut to fit your dehydrator), they'll dry much faster than on a fruit rollup sheet.

I think sarbar has something on her website about drying olives. Maybe for a tapenade? It's also possible that was Dicentra.

envirodiver
02-11-2011, 11:26
I've dehydrated black olives also, but not green. I'll have to try that.

I bought some fine plastic mesh sheets for my dehydrator that work very well for drying smaller items (or items that are much smaller when dry).

Better than fruit roll-up sheets, because they don't hold the moisture as Farr Away mentioned.

Sickmont
02-11-2011, 11:32
I wonder if i can "rehydrate" my olives in a martini or five......

sarbar
02-11-2011, 16:01
Yep you can dry them! Chop them small though. You can also get freeze-dried olives as well.

BUT! Olives are highly shelf stable really. Consider the "olive bars" of fancy stores - those olives just park it there. You can carry them in oil (which is tasty) or just in a bag.

The Old Chief
02-11-2011, 16:34
I've seen plastice bags of green olives at Walmart. I think the brand name is "Mario". Thinking about taking some on my next hike.

Snowleopard
02-11-2011, 19:25
Try oil cured black olives, available at Middle Eastern groceries and some regular groceries. I think they'll last quite a while as is.

envirodiver
02-11-2011, 19:36
I wonder if i can "rehydrate" my olives in a martini or five......

I betcha can. Dehydrate some gin and vermouth. Add water and there you have it. Shaken not stirred

wvgrinder
02-11-2011, 21:55
I'm a green olive freak. Some have a sweet tooth- I have a sour tooth. They are wonderful tossed into pasta w/ some herbs, olive oil & feta cheese. And what a great topping for pizza!

sarbar
02-12-2011, 01:27
You can also find small tubs of olives, roasted red peppers, artichokes and more yummies at Cost Plus World Markets these days.
http://blog.trailcooking.com/2011/01/12/food-finds-colavita-products/

Also if you look in some stores you can find Lindsay's Snacker Olives in tiny single serving pop-top cans.

Blissful
02-12-2011, 11:35
I see dehydrated olives all the time in those Suddenly salad pasta mixes.

SassyWindsor
02-13-2011, 00:35
I love olives stuffed with garlic, even in a martini there pretty good. After several martini's it doesn't matter anyway. Pizza covered with ripe(black) olives are also excellent.

Rocket Jones
02-13-2011, 18:29
One of our local grocery stores has these huge Kalamata olives stuffed with bleu cheese. Amazingly good but very salty. I limit myself to two a day or I can feel my blood pressure go up. In cooler weather, I carry a half dozen or so in a small ziplock inside the plastic tube that used to hold Country Time lemonade mix. There's enough room left for some Ritz crackers. Add some cheese and pepperoni, and enjoy antipasto for lunch!

Ol Mole
02-13-2011, 18:48
You can also find small tubs of olives, roasted red peppers, artichokes and more yummies at Cost Plus World Markets these days.

Also if you look in some stores you can find Lindsay's Snacker Olives in tiny single serving pop-top cans.

As I am not a UL hiker, I have carried the Lindsay's Snacker Olives for a couple years now. They are great and I love the juice that comes with it.

Happy trails.

harryfred
02-13-2011, 19:59
I carry olives and pickles all the time. I just dump of the brine out of the jar. You want to leave enough to keep everything good and moist. then dump in a ziploc bag. Mine are usually gone in three days.
I've made Martinis on the trail the only problem is no ice:eek:. I guess that's what they mean by roughing it.

LDog
02-13-2011, 22:25

I just tried their grilled eggplant packed in olive oil, white wine vinegar, parsley, salt, garlic and chili - very tasty indeed. All natural, no preservatives, 4.23 ozs

The green olives and sun-dried tomatoes also looked excellent.