PDA

View Full Version : Help...

The Cleaner
02-11-2011, 10:41
Many years ago I was at Laurel Gap shelter in GSMNP in Feb.Was alone with nice fire drinking tea about 8pm.Then I hear someone calling out "HELP,HELP:eek:,wasn't sure what to do.Went outside still more "HELP,HELP".Grabbed my flashlight and went out to see better.Walked to intersection @ Balsalm Mtn trail.Found wet&cold teenager holding Bic lighter at the trail sign.He said there were 3 more behind him still comming.They started too late and there was deep snow in places making their hiking even slower.Finally all arrived,wet&cold also.They wereso glad I had went out to help them,said they were about hypothermic.Got them to the shelter&warmed by the fire:).Any lessons learned here?

Sickmont
02-11-2011, 10:45
Yeah, keep yer kids at home.

Old Hiker
02-11-2011, 10:50
Many years ago I was at Laurel Gap shelter in GSMNP in Feb.Was alone with nice fire drinking tea about 8pm.Then I hear someone calling out "HELP,HELP:eek:,wasn't sure what to do.Went outside still more "HELP,HELP".Grabbed my flashlight and went out to see better.Walked to intersection @ Balsalm Mtn trail.Found wet&cold teenager holding Bic lighter at the trail sign.He said there were 3 more behind him still comming.They started too late and there was deep snow in places making their hiking even slower.Finally all arrived,wet&cold also.They wereso glad I had went out to help them,said they were about hypothermic.Got them to the shelter&warmed by the fire:).Any lessons learned here?

Earplugs at shelters?

Sorry - old age crankiness setting in. Not sure if the lessons to be learned will be learned by those who need to ...... learn them? Teenagers are immortal and know all. Just ask them.

This is a great example to relate to youth groups, though. You could probably give several hours of lessons here: planning, preparedness, time line, weather forecasts, prior experience, etc.

Thanks for sharing. Any of the kids keep in touch?

The Cleaner
02-11-2011, 10:58
Yeah, keep yer kids at home.
There were 2 adults& 2 teenagers,one kid had walked ahead of his group....probably not a good idea in their situation.What if he missed the trail junction and went towards Tricorner Knob?

The Cleaner
02-11-2011, 11:03
Earplugs at shelters?

Sorry - old age crankiness setting in. Not sure if the lessons to be learned will be learned by those who need to ...... learn them? Teenagers are immortal and know all. Just ask them.

This is a great example to relate to youth groups, though. You could probably give several hours of lessons here: planning, preparedness, time line, weather forecasts, prior experience, etc.

Thanks for sharing. Any of the kids keep in touch? With many "Thank yous" and some handshanks the next AM never heard from them....

LoneRidgeRunner
02-11-2011, 11:12
yep..if they were wet and cold apparently they were unprepared..It's really foolish to go into the woods in February unprepared for Winter conditions...Years ago I was on Grandfather Mountain 1 night. Not there for an over-nighter..just decided to do a short night hike..Why not? I had my Slickrock pack and Winter clothing and could have survived the night if I had to ..It was probably the coldest I have ever been out doors that night....Next evening my Dad told me they had found a body on Grandfather Mountain early that morning.. It's a good bet he had frozen to death...These teenagers could possibly have died in the Smokies that night had you not found them...

Turtle Feet
02-11-2011, 11:19
Yeah...

1) Don't "start too late", unexperienced hikers often misjudge time/distance.

2) Keep your group together! (seems like common sense in this situation especially)

Hiking can kill. The word "hike" conjures up warm breezes on the face, soft pine needle covered, wide, flat paths thru beautiful story-book inspired forests. But, it's can be a deceivingly dangerous activity if you're unprepared.

When you're sitting in your Lazy-Boy, in a warm, cozy livingroom planning your "hike", it's easy to forget that things can go wrong out there. When things go wrong in the wilderness, you better have your s*** together.

Bet they learned alot from the experience, and they were lucky you were there!

tf

Sickmont
02-11-2011, 11:39
There were 2 adults& 2 teenagers,one kid had walked ahead of his group....probably not a good idea in their situation.What if he missed the trail junction and went towards Tricorner Knob?

Exactly. They definitely werent ready for being out there. Thankfully YOU were there to save their butts. That couldve turned out really really bad.

Blissful
02-11-2011, 12:04
They should have had a whistle.

LoneRidgeRunner
02-11-2011, 12:07
They should have had a whistle.

More importantly they should have had clothing to keep dry and warm..Whistles are good things to carry. I never go without one (whistle) but they're worthless if non one is close enough to hear it or bothers to respond.

wrongway_08
02-11-2011, 12:11
Mother nature weeding out the week ones. Its the circle of life....

Thatguy
02-11-2011, 12:45
I've seen such things happen before. I think it comes down to not respecting the power of nature. A ranger once told me the story of man who went backpacking and got seperated from his group. A rich guy who had the best gear. When they found him the next day he was in bad shape, hiding under a tree and shivering from the cold. Didn't use anything from his pack. When panic set in he dropped his back and started running. Then couldn't figure out where he'd left his pack. He was lucky. Unfortunately, until people take being in nature serious and not assume they know all about it, such things will continues to happen.

The Cleaner
02-11-2011, 13:16
With many "Thank yous" and some handshanks the next AM never heard from them.... Need to edit post.."got a few handshanks":eek:...you can get a "handshank" in prison,I meant HANDSHAKE.....BTW Ramen noodles are very well liked by those in prison as are SHANKS,but I only used the Ramen....:o