PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in April

bishopj
02-11-2011, 13:35
Ok since ii am gone to start on April 3 should i bring some deet bugs really like me
don't know why don't eat a lot of sugar or sweet stuff.
:-?

Blissful
02-11-2011, 13:36
There could be some skeeter issues if it gets warm, esp around water sources. I'd start taking garlic and one of the B vitamins is supposed to help too (can't recall which one)

The Cleaner
02-11-2011, 13:42
Ok since ii am gone to start on April 3 should i bring some deet bugs really like me
don't know why don't eat a lot of sugar or sweet stuff.
:-? The only bugs that may be a problem are gnats and they can really drive you nuts as soon as you stop moving.Deet does not stop them,that's why I carry a headnet.You may look funny wearing one but it beats gnats in the eyes,nose&ears:eek:....

moldy
02-11-2011, 15:37
no biting bugs at all. There will be some non-biting knats

daddytwosticks
02-11-2011, 17:04
The Cleaner is dead on. On my hike last April from AFSP to Neels Gap, the gnats were bad. It was unseasonably warm and sunny. The headnet helped greatly. The gnats died down towards nightfall though. :)

mweinstone
02-11-2011, 19:48
avon skin so soft. its seseme oil and repells gnats.

Walkintom
02-12-2011, 17:01
Matthewski is right. Been using SSS as a cheap but effective repellant for gnats since I was a kid.

They're really bad in SW GA where I grew up.

Awol1970
02-12-2011, 17:34
They're really bad in SW GA where I grew up.

They are not really bad in south west georgia...

THEY ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD TO THE SUPER-MAX BAD in south west ga.

emerald
02-12-2011, 19:36
Ok, since I intend to start on April 3, should I bring some DEET? Bugs really like me.:-?

If it were up to me and it would be good for them, I would suggest you bring native birds instead. Since you likely can't get a permit and they will come on their own when it suits them, I suggest you just put up with whatever bugs you encounter and spend as much of your time as possible where the bugs aren't spending theirs.

I'm sure you've heard of rain dances. I don't know if anyone has develped bird dances or bat dances yet, but you should look into the concept and report back to us. The general concept ought to be completely consistent with current LNT and UL philosophy.

FritztheCat
02-12-2011, 19:47
I'm leaving April 1st and already have my headnet! :)

Did a long section of VA last year and the bugs were so bad that it almost drove me insane. Always in my ears and eyelashes. Right after that trip I went straight to an outfitter and got a headnet. Not a great fashion statement but it certainly does work!

emerald
02-12-2011, 19:53
They're not heavy and you can always send yours home if you wish to lighten your burden and your wallet. USPS will be happy to help.

StormBird
02-12-2011, 22:22
Yep, gnats are the biggest nuisance and bug repellent does not help. Get a lightweight head net since they LOVE to fly into your face and eyes while you are hiking.

emerald
02-12-2011, 22:37
I suggest inquiring with Wild Birds Unlimited about obtaining Blue-gray gnatcatchers (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Blue-gray_Gnatcatcher/id) or starting after they return. Refer to eBird for Georgia 1st seen dates.

Bugs and pack weight have been reported as factors contributing to aborted hikes.