PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit vs. women's 2011 Jam

EBC
02-11-2011, 14:21
I searched the forums but did not find a direct comparison of these two--apologies if it's already been done, please direct me.

Pack will be used for AT thru-hike on a smallish woman with a base weight of 10-12lbs, max load of 20-25lbs.

Especially interested in hearing from forum members who have owned both, but any comments on these packs welcomed!

I've tried on the Jam and it's comfortable (in the store, ha)--wishbone suspension is great--but i'm concerned that it may not cinch down far enough after a couple months of hiking, and of course the belts aren't swappable. Also worried about its lack of load lifters (legitimate concern? probably not with a wt of 25lbs?).

Wondering if the Circuit's lauded comfort, awesomeness of mesh pocket, utility, convenience, cust svc, made in USA etc. compensate for its higher price and weight. Your thoughts please :sun

Red Beard
02-11-2011, 14:41
Never used a Jam, but I do own the unisex (2010) version of the ULA Circuit. IMHO it is one of the best packs I have ever owned. One great thing about ULA packs, is that as you lose weight on your hike, they will indeed ship you another hip belt to any PO you specify. Really great folks to do business with.

skinewmexico
02-11-2011, 16:11
Wondering if the Circuit's lauded comfort, awesomeness of mesh pocket, utility, convenience, cust svc, made in USA etc. compensate for its higher price and weight.

Yes. But you're comparing apples and oranges by comparing a framed pack, with a frameless. A better comparison would be the ULA CDT versus the Jam. I have an older Jam2, back when the Jam2 (and GoLite) were really light. It's very comfortable, but no more comfortable than a Circuit. A lot less comfortable if you have to load it up for a day or two. And not as comfortable as my Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus. But none of those are uncomfortable for me. I'd have to say my Mariposa was the plushest, but the Circuit is the toughest, and carries heavier loads better. I should probably unload my frameless packs, I never use them.

EBC
02-11-2011, 16:55
Pack will be used for AT thru-hike on a smallish woman with a base weight of 10-12lbs, max load of 20-25lbs.

Oops, used the wrong denominator during calculations. :p My base weight will be 13-15lbs pending remaining gear choices. Thought 10lbs was a little too good to be true... glad i checked the numbers again! Five lbs is a big difference...!!! :eek:

BrianLe
02-11-2011, 16:59
"I'd have to say my Mariposa was the plushest, but the Circuit is the toughest, and carries heavier loads better."

Interesting; I definitely agree with the latter two comments, but I find the Circuit more comfortable than the Mariposa plus too. The one big advantage of the Mariposa Plus is the weight, and of course that's not insignificant (!).

The factor that currently tilts me to the ULA pack is having worn out a couple of Mariposa Plus packs and seeing a friend swap out his still functional ULA pack after about 5000 miles of hiking (for another ULA pack). That, and this same friend walking behind me assures me that the Circuit rides/carries a lot better on my body. This seemed to bother him more than me, but it is a factor.

I have no personal experience with Golite packs, other than having walked a lot of miles with another fellow who used one and liked it (I don't think it was the Jam).

Red Hat
02-11-2011, 23:27
Circuit, no contest