PDA

View Full Version : Knee Surgery over & successful, Whats next?

Freedom Walker
02-11-2011, 17:18
I had my meniscus tear repaired this morning and according to the doctor, I had a good report. Tear was cleaned up and very little arthritis behind the knee cap, not as bad as earlier feared. Now PT next week and working to get back to 100% so I can get back to hiking and eventually the AT some time this year. Question for those who have done this before, how soon did you come back and what advice do you have for me. I did manage to lose around 10 lbs since Jan 1st and need to drop 10 to 15 more and get to 185-190. Thanks, James

Del Q
02-11-2011, 19:33
Hi there, my knee surgery was on October 26th, was hoping to get back onto the AT in Mid December, no way, too high a risk - fall or twist could have been big trouble. Lots of ice and snow. Working out hard, taking Instaflex (buy it direct from the company - great product), am just about ready for my Mid March section hike, hopeful for 14 days and 170 miles or so, when I hurt I stopped working out, when it does not hurt I push it hard, lots of cardio, squats, hiking with no pack, etc. Have been working out with a 30lb pack for 2 weeks, so far, so good. Snow is making the local trail not worth the effort, can get more done at home on the Ellipitcal and Stair Stepper, with a pack. Slow and steady, push it as hard as you can, take days off.........

Chubbs4U
02-11-2011, 20:00
Freedom Walker I wish you the best of luck. Dont over do it. If you feel pain, especially that sharp pain, just stop doing what your doing. It can take a while for everything to heal up. Attack rehab. Do the exercises they give you. If they allow you, do them a couple of times in a day if you can and only if they allow. Ive torn my knee to shreds 2x, meniscus, mcl,acl and had 3 surgeries. You can get back to doing things you just have to be smart, safe and make sure your knee is ready. Also the braces they give do help out when needed.

valiweva
02-11-2011, 21:34
Usually, what the doctors say is what you should do.I had 2 chrondoplasties and 2 medial meniscus repairs in 03. roofing and 21 marathons in 8 years did me in.Rest is best during rehab,so listen to your body.No pain no gain is for the kids.I swam a lot when I was rehabbing.Be patient and dont over train.I am banged up again from overtraining and roofing! I can only roof and not train now.Thats the way the cookie crumbles. good luck!

Rick Hancock
02-11-2011, 21:47
I had a meniscus repair in early July, rehab was quick with good results. Only went 1-2 times per week as I knew what to do at home. I was hiking by Sept./Oct. I did keep the mileage down, 8-10 miles or less if any pain. Do the rehab everyday, it gets boring but you need to do it. Gradual increases in reps etc. Good Luck!

Freedom Walker
02-11-2011, 23:17
Thanks so far with great advice and encouragement. My first day has been very good so far. I have been able to put some weight on it and haven't had to take anything for pain yet, but my wife the RN who has had this surgery three times has warned me that the second day is the worst, so I will see. I hope to do a level short day hike in a few weeks, maybe a easy overnight backpack trip in May and long section on the AT in Sept. Not too ambitious I hope.

Rick Hancock
02-12-2011, 08:05
The best luck you've had was the "minimal arthritis". My left knee was done with great results, as mentioned in my post, however the right knee never healed right. I have constant pain and some swelling because of bone on bone contact. I am a candidate for partial replacement when I have enough sick time. I also get shots of artificial lube every 6 months. Take it slow, push just enough, loose some pounds, and stay with the rehab.

Blissful
02-12-2011, 11:36
Glad your surgery went so well. Just take your time with the healing process and don't rush it

4Bears
02-12-2011, 12:10
FW glad to hear your surgery went well the best advice I could give you is do your PT at home a couple times a day. I had a total knee replacement last july and was back to work in 52 days, have continued the PT at home and am still working on building strength back in the leg. when "released" hit the gym slowly and keep building, walk when you can, consider some hiking poles, good luck.

Chillfactor
02-12-2011, 13:12
Freedom Walker, I hope it heals quickly. Use caution with therapy. Weight loss is a good idea; less pressure on your knee. You should be fine for 20 years.

I severely tore my meniscus and it was removed about 25 years ago. It took 3 months before I could kneel and was a miserable ordeal. Doctor told me, "Someday you'll need a new knee."
Several years ago it hurt to walk and it was barely bone to bone. I was a good candidate for a PKR and saw a 60 Minutes segment on overseas surgery. I had a minimally invasive PKR in 2006 in India (I've no insurance) for $5200, everything included but the flight. The process and results were wonderful. Pain for about a week and did therapy at the local gym. It took a while before I had full range of motion.

I thought there might be some restrictions with backpacking and saw a UCLA doctor. They took an X-ray and doc said they did a beautiful job and it looked like it was done yesterday. He told me that I could do whatever I wanted, including hiking with a 30 pound pack. I was overjoyed and smiled for days. I hiked 1500 miles on the AT last year with zero pain. It was amazing.

Older folk shouldn't bother with fixing tears if we have a choice.

Awol2003
02-12-2011, 13:30
Had mine done almost exactly one month ago with a similar prognosis. I skipped the PT sessions to save money; just took a look at the exercises and did them on my own. I was doing very short jogs (200 yards or so) within 2 weeks and ran two miles this past week. I'm back to my normal workout routine but with about 70% of the weight I was using.

MkBibble
02-12-2011, 16:36
Freedom Walker, glad to hear that you're doing well!

BitBucket
02-12-2011, 17:06
I had my right one fixed Oct 14 (torn meniscus and arthritis cleaned out), 48 hrs later was walking a mile around the neighborhood. Did 6 weeks of PT and have been good so far, even though when the temp drops significantly, I can feel it in the knee joint.

At 3 weeks after surgery, I was hanging siding on a house...the more I exercised it the better it felt...

Walking and/or riding a bike is the best thing for it...helps keep the arthritis from coming back....

Would suggest wearing a brace, i.e., a DonJoy works well for me...light weight but good support when carrying a pack...

Freedom Walker
02-15-2011, 08:49
Reporting on the progress of my knee surgery. Used two crutches Friday, surgery day. One on Saturday and none since. I go to first Pt today, and so I am very pleased. I stayed several hours on my feet yesterday and only took a pain pill late in the day and one at bedtime. I want to thank those who suggested early on to get-R-done. if I continue to do well I will be back on the trail in no time.

Trailryder42
02-20-2011, 22:48
Good to hear rehab and getting back to normal routine goes pretty quick. I have a meniscus tear repair scheduled for this Friday the 25th. Thought I had better do it now and get back to normal before my 2012 hike.

Freedom Walker
02-21-2011, 18:23
Good to hear rehab and getting back to normal routine goes pretty quick. I have a meniscus tear repair scheduled for this Friday the 25th. Thought I had better do it now and get back to normal before my 2012 hike.

Man, I am so glad I went ahead and got this done. I am doing so well. I have improved some each day and Go back to work tomorrow. Don't have any pain and a little stiffness. Plan on doing a day hike in a couple of weeks and who knows, may be able hit the AT by summer. Low mileage days of course. Good luck and Godspeed Trailryder42.