PDA

View Full Version : Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove

NiteRaven
02-11-2011, 22:26
I was looking for a lightweight camp shoe and came across these:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22875M/50390/Mens/Mens-Barefoot-Trail-Glove

I think they are just coming to the market and will be released soon. I could see these working as either a camp shoe or for a minimalist hiking shoe. The weight appears to be about 12oz for the pair. What do you guys think?

fiddlehead
02-11-2011, 22:43
They look a lot like the Pumas I've bought and have been trying out on my jogs.
If similar, I think the big problem about these kind of shoes is breaking a toe.
There is not much there in the front to stop it.
Maybe get one that's too big and has an extra inch in front or something.
Just my thoughts.
I like the lightweight feel of practically nothing on my feet and think i'm starting to run differently (more ball of my foot landing instead of heel)
But, have hurt my toe too many times already to think it might work for thru-hiking.

fiddlehead
02-11-2011, 22:45
$110 seems ridiculous for something so minimal.
It can't cost them more than $4 or $5 to make.
Especially in Bangladesh or Indonesia or wherever it is they are now making them (china getting way too expensive these days)

Driver8
02-12-2011, 10:23
Especially in Bangladesh or Indonesia or wherever it is they are now making them (china getting way too expensive these days)

I like the look of them, but would wait, for sure, for the price to come down.

slpierce39
02-12-2011, 10:39
I think they look like a great camp shoe, I saw them in the store yesterday. This women's barefoot version weighs about 9oz:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22879W/0/Womens/Womens-Barefoot-Pure-Glove?dimensions=0

I won't pay $100 but if I could get them on sale I would go for it!

finskie
02-12-2011, 18:11
I like the UL spirit in these type of shoes, but in PA you may not make it to the cumberland valley without breaking a toe on some of our notorious rocks.

se7enty
02-20-2011, 16:00
of course they leave the women out of the good ones. why do manufacturers continue to leave out half of their customer base on things like this? they don't make the trail model for women. so disappointing. do they think women don't hike?

i'd love to have some, but i'm not interested in the lame versions they have for women, and especially not at $110. :( :(

Speer Carrier
02-20-2011, 16:44
[QUOTE=Bombadil;1113004]I like the UL spirit in these type of shoes, but in PA you may not make it to the cumberland valley without breaking a toe on some of our notorious rocks.[/QUOTe

This problem might be solved with a product called bun heads, which are little items that ballerinas wear on their toes so that they can easily stay on their toes. They are sold at any dancer oriented store. Pretty cheap too. Great items for anyone who has ever experienced lost big toe nails as a result of descending mountain after mountain.

Luddite
02-20-2011, 17:11
I can understand putting on a pair of sandals after a long day of hiking, but why another pair of shoes?

Sierra Echo
02-20-2011, 18:35
of course they leave the women out of the good ones. why do manufacturers continue to leave out half of their customer base on things like this? they don't make the trail model for women. so disappointing. do they think women don't hike?

i'd love to have some, but i'm not interested in the lame versions they have for women, and especially not at $110. :( :(

So get a pair of mens. Half my shoes are mens and I'm not ashamed of it. :rolleyes:

LordoftheWings
02-24-2011, 21:45
I'd get some for camp but I'm afraid at size 14-15 I'd have farmers with pitchforks and torches chasing me around.

se7enty
03-01-2011, 23:29
So get a pair of mens. Half my shoes are mens and I'm not ashamed of it. :rolleyes:

because women's feet aren't typically just shorter versions of men's feet. i wouldn't be ashamed at all to wear men's shoes but my feet just aren't as wide as theirs. i wear a B width, so a D, E, EE, etc just isn't going to fit...at that price it's a definite no-go

sbhikes
03-02-2011, 00:00
So get the woman's version:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22877W/0/Womens/Barefoot-Pace-Glove?dimensions=0

d.o.c
03-02-2011, 00:07
I can understand putting on a pair of sandals after a long day of hiking, but why another pair of shoes?
agreed....... those are rather cool but i need a lil more in a shoe not much but a lil more thn tht.

Tilly
03-02-2011, 11:38

Actually New Balance's version (can't remember the name) is made in the USA.

leaftye
03-02-2011, 12:12
Actually New Balance's version (can't remember the name) is made in the USA.

I haven't seen anything that indicates this. It will probably be made overseas like 75% of New Balance shoes.

Bat321
03-02-2011, 12:28
I tried on the Merrell and the Keen barefoot shoes. The Keen was a lot more comfortable to me and had a womens version. The graphics might be to over the top for people that like subdued.
The Keens had some very minimal padding the Merrell had none. The Keen seemed to have the ability to be loosened to make them wider. The Merrell felt narrower and if you have wide feet (I don't) I would think you would roll out past the edge of the sole.
I sent Merrell an email and they were adamant that these shoes were not designed for long distance hiking. Keen on the other hand gave me a pair to try on my hike this year.
I'm not a shoe reviewer or paid by either company but Keen did give me free shoes. I've tried to explain any bias that may have caused.

se7enty
03-02-2011, 14:21
So get the woman's version:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22877W/0/Womens/Barefoot-Pace-Glove?dimensions=0

ummm...that's not the same shoe. look at the heel.

Tilly
03-02-2011, 14:23
I haven't seen anything that indicates this. It will probably be made overseas like 75% of New Balance shoes.

Whoops, I stand corrected! I thought I'd seen something stating that they were but it looks like I was wrong.

Torch09
03-02-2011, 14:55
ummm...that's not the same shoe. look at the heel.

No, its not the same shoe. But it is the women's version of the shoe.

thomas533
03-02-2011, 16:06
Having worn a pair of FiveFinger KSOs as my only shoes for the last year, I was excited to try these out when they showed up at my local REI. I am sorry to say that other than the nice roomy foot box, they really don't feel that much different then a regular shoe. I appreciate that they incorporate the zero-heel drop that many minimalist shoe wearers want in their running shoes, but it still seems a long stretch to say that it is a "barefoot" shoe after wearing FiveFingers for so long.

I can say that peoples concerns about breaking toes is not likely to be a problem. There is sufficient material that if you are a toe-stubber you won't have any more problems than you do now. That being said, I really think that once you move to minimalist shoes and get used to feeling the ground (as our feet are suppose to do) you will find that you don't run into things as often. I have yet to talk to anyone who has broken their toe after going minimalist and that people really should stop listening to all the fear mongers.

Torch09
03-02-2011, 16:26
I can say that peoples concerns about breaking toes is not likely to be a problem.

THANK YOU! I've been wearing fivefingers on and off for the past year and I'm tired of people who haven't worn them telling me about the problems I will have.

Shiraz-mataz
03-02-2011, 17:53
...I have yet to talk to anyone who has broken their toe after going minimalist...

Thomas, a buddy and I did a 25 mile section of SNP last fall and decided to use VFF's - I used KSO's and he used Sprints. I did just fine but am sad to report that he did in fact break his small toe when he caught it on a rock. He has since sworn off the VFF's altogether but I just told him, "Watch where you're going and pick your feet up!"

mountainboogey
04-01-2011, 14:24
I have the Trail Glove, and it is awesome! However, not sure how it would be as a "camp shoe". Its difficult to get on and off with an UL Running sock, never mind if you want to wear a thick cozy sock...you will never get it on! The NB Minimus is much easier to put on, but same problem with the socks. Unless im moving around, my feet get cold in both pretty quick.

Safari
04-06-2011, 17:10
I've been mooching around in these for the last 2 weeks, fave shoes by far, I am getting over a minor bout of Plantar Fasciitis and these very flat, minimalist shoes are helping me build strength in my feet and getting me back into running... can't see myself doing 5 hour runs in these until my feet and legs slowly ease into them (if ever) but for just basic walking and as a camp shoe (back up hiking footwear), why not?!!!:rolleyes: I'm thinking closer about heading off for a few days in the New Balance 101, bit wider at the back, maybe a goer as hiking footwear...

Daydream Believer
05-03-2011, 22:59
I bought a pair of the Merrell Pace Gloves (for women of course) and have been wearing them now for a few days around my farm. I'm on my literally feet all day and I've been having a lot of trouble with foot pain. I've tried all sorts of hiking boots from Keen, Oboz, Lowa Bora, etc...and my feet just ache in them. I get corns, blisters, and weird callouses also. Danged if I have ever had a more comfortable experience with a shoe than with these Gloves. On natural terrain they are incredible...you really can feel the ground much better and I'm certainly not having any issues here on the farm hurting my feet..granted it's not rocky or steep here but there is a nice sole on them and I'm having a hard time understanding why they'd be bad to hike the AT with if you are used to them and have strong ankles and arches. I'm using the light smart wool socks in them and they are uber comfy.

I have not hiked in them yet but I'm sure going to try them. We are headed to Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers to camp over Memorial Day and will be doing some hiking. I'll go first without a pack and then try a pack. I'll carry hiking boots so I can bail if I have to but if these work for me, I'll be in heaven. :-) If these work for me, I'll get a second pair to carry in my pack and use if one pair gets wet and can switch off. I am sure they will dry out really fast also.

I'd use them for campshoes if nothing else. To me it's like having a nice pair of house shoes or moccasins on your feet all day. They are so light yet do protect you quite well from rocks and stuff. I like that they are not the toe shoes and are pretty easy to get on and off.

sbhikes
05-03-2011, 23:45
I day hiked recently with a guy who wore some VFFs and he was pretty good at masking the pain he was in from possibly breaking both little toes. Also, there's this review (http://asthecrowflies.org/2010/12/14/hiking-barefoot-vibram-five-fingers-on-the-pct/) of hiking in VFFs on the PCT.

I'm holding out for the Altras (http://altrarunning.com/) whenever the heck they finally get those out.

Daydream Believer
05-04-2011, 08:12
I think the fact that the Merrells are not "toe" shoes is going to give a bit more protection than the VFF. There is a nice toe bumper on them also. They just don't encase your foot in such a rigid piece of leather as your typical hiking boot. Obviously there is not as much "support" but all that support now in my other boots is not doing a thing to make my feet feel better.

In all my previous backpacking trips in various boots, I've fought blisters also. On my last one I almost lost a toenail from toe crushing on downhills.

It's frustrating trying to find a good fitting boot/shoe when you have a weird foot like I do!

Five Bears
06-06-2011, 17:57
To me it's like having a nice pair of house shoes or moccasins on your feet all day.

I've done a few quick day hikes in my neon green trail gloves, although I bought them for the reason stated above. I tell folks they're like wearing a pair of space-age mocs. I do have a pair of Smartwool PhD micro runners that I've worn with them a couple of times, but they're best without socks. I love them to death. They are my go-to shlepping-around-town shoe.

And yeah, although Merrell claims they're incrusted with some antimicrobial, antistink stuff, they're washer-safe. They do get funky.

leaftye
06-07-2011, 00:09
I'm holding out for the Altras (http://altrarunning.com/) whenever the heck they finally get those out.

Another set of footwear that interests me. Maybe you should be selling shoes. Website? With your thoughts on footwear, your site would be the first I'd check.

dirk
06-07-2011, 21:01
Zemgear (http://www.zemgear.com/) Zem Ninja Lo -- later this summer they're adding O2 and 360 models with additional meat on the bone...

Daydream Believer
06-08-2011, 23:00
I thought I'd report that I did hike a short ways in my Merrell gloves over Memorial Day. The rocks were not too bad and I manged that ok, but the mud was the downfall for me. They are very vented and open and all the mud, silt and debris got into them and I could hardly walk for the stuff in the shoes. I think I'll keep them for camp shoes. I found a pair of Merrell cross trainers that I love and are comfy for me (finally!). Chameleon's I think are the model I have. Love them and waterproof also!

I did run into several hikers in the Five Fingers and they seemed happy enough in them.

BenLeaman
08-13-2011, 04:53
I realize that this is not the shoe discussed but I feel that it has merit to this conversation. I have two pairs of the New Balance MT10 (Minimus), one pair for hiking and another pair to run, go to the gym and live in. Anyways, they WILL hold up to PA rocks and my feet have also held up while wearing them. I have worn them on two trips that spanned all of PA. First going from the MD border to rt. 81 and then about a month later I came from the NJ border back to rt. 81. They do show some serious signs of abuse but they held up. I would imagine that the Merrills would fair pretty well also. I also like the zero drop of the Merrills. I may check them out next time I buy...

Rain Man
08-13-2011, 09:35
I think they are just coming to the market and will be released soon. I could see these working as either a camp shoe or for a minimalist hiking shoe. The weight appears to be about 12oz for the pair. What do you guys think?

I picked up a pair of these on sale (paid $60) in Paducah, KY last month. I wanted them for kayaking shoes, but also took them on my last backpacking outing. Usually, I don't take camp shoes. I like these, with one big caveat: they are designed for people with narrow feet and low feet (mine are neither), especially since they don't lace up all the way to the toes. As someone else said, they leave a large segment of their potential customer base out of the equation.

Rain:sunMan

lemon b
08-13-2011, 15:34
I think this type of shoe is silly. Then again my toes are 56.

Hosaphone
10-25-2011, 19:14
Has anybody worn these for a significant number of trail miles? I'm worried about durability of the foam part in the middle of the foot.

A guy posted these pictures on BPL after only ~30 miles, and I can see the same thing starting to happen to mine after only a few miles:

Source: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43489

Tinker
10-25-2011, 19:25
[QUOTE=Bombadil;1113004]I like the UL spirit in these type of shoes, but in PA you may not make it to the cumberland valley without breaking a toe on some of our notorious rocks.[/QUOTe

This problem might be solved with a product called bun heads, which are little items that ballerinas wear on their toes so that they can easily stay on their toes. They are sold at any dancer oriented store. Pretty cheap too. Great items for anyone who has ever experienced lost big toe nails as a result of descending mountain after mountain.

I saw several minimalist shoes in EMS today, tried on one (forgot which one) didn't like it much. Heels are much lower than a standard running shoe, and it didn't do a thing to counter my ankle's tendency to turn outward (especially with my orthotics).

I was in the store looking for something a bit more substantial to tackle the Pa. rocks with. the Merril Ventilators with a 5 iron insole insert and my orthotics seem to be my current choice (I'm waiting for my 15% coupon to arrive in my email before I buy). The coupon is to entice you to join their email list. There was also a Brooks trail runner that I liked, but it's an awful lot like my current Asics tr's - not quite as much padding (or stiffness under the forefoot) as I would like to have for "The Rocks".