PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Padre Island

searust
02-12-2011, 03:36
Has anyone thought of hiking Padre Island national seashore-- 60 miles down and 60 miles back--

The main problems I see are water--none-- and rattlesnakes --many--:-?

grayfox
02-12-2011, 11:32
I hiked the island many years ago. There were no restrictions on camping then but there may be some now. I would contact the park directly and ask about backpacking there. From Austin, you really should go and enjoy this seashore in some fashion.

There is a FWD road now so I would worry about getting run over--We were very careful to camp out of sight but had some worries.

You might do some water drops or catch a ride to the south end and hike back up the shore. And it does rain so rig a tarp to catch rain and dew.

Walking on the sand can be a challenge, especially after it has been driven on. After my hike there, I vowed to never hike in places that people can drive to.

Spring weather is variable but can be very nice. We were cold some nights and the damp and cool weather combines with the breeze off or onto the gulf to be a concern at times.

A very good place to visit--don't miss it.

maybe clem
02-12-2011, 16:12
I've looked into doing that, searust. If you go I'd love to read a trip report.

Red Hat
02-12-2011, 17:57
I love Padre Island, but I have not hiked it. You should know that southern Texas is hot, humid, and extremely buggy. That said, it is beautiful.

searust
02-13-2011, 03:40
I was thinking of building a water still to desalinate water -- either that or the cache method, have someone drop off 2 gallons every 20 miles.

I have talked to the park people and there is really no restrictions on it other than a one week park pass.

The traffic-- what there is of it significantly drops off after the 20 mile marker, and if I could do it during the week rather than a week end-- I think that solves a lot of the issues.

skinewmexico
02-13-2011, 04:01
You could always drive it first and cache water. Or buy a desalinator.

ice99705
02-13-2011, 18:18
Drove and camped it for a week a few years ago and have one word for you...............coyotes!
They were everywhere and not shy at all, as a matter of fact they seemed to have a system worked out wherein a few would get your attention while others would raid anything not locked in the jeep, all in broad daylight let alone at night.

searust
02-23-2011, 20:27
Any ideas on keeping food from coyotes--- food can? maybe a 1 gallon can with lid or a bucket?-- bury it away from the tent for the night.

The one thing about PINS (Padre island Nat'l Seashore) is that you can build campfires -- no restrictions-- so I can at least have that going.

this hike is getting to be much more of a technical challenge...