PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit Petzl products from China

10-K
02-12-2011, 08:20
Wow... check this out.. http://petzl.com/us/outdoor/news-2/2011/02/11/warning-regarding-presence-counterfeit-versions-petzl-products

ki0eh
02-12-2011, 08:56
I won't even buy a Chinese headlamp, only Tunisian-made Petzl for me.

canoehead
02-12-2011, 09:40
I got nothing good to say about those no good sons a b------. We are constantly checking our gear as should anyone who uses it. Thanks for the heads up.

4eyedbuzzard
02-12-2011, 09:54
I got nothing good to say about those no good sons a b------. We are constantly checking our gear as should anyone who uses it. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, but by visual inspection could you (or someone else) definitely pick out the counterfeit from the real deal without in-depth or destructive testing? Petzl isn't telling the general public how to ID the fakes:

There is a significant risk that these counterfeit products could open or otherwise fail at low loads and under normal use:

These counterfeit products do not meet UIAA or CE safety standards.
These counterfeit products do not meet Petzl safety and quality requirements.

It will be very difficult for you to identify these fakes:

They have been reproduced in a way that makes them very difficult to identify. The following features have been reproduced nearly identically:

Design
Color
Product markings
Batch number
Instructions for use (down to the most minor details)
Packaging
Only an in-depth analysis allows us to identify these counterfeit products, due to minor differences in the tools used to produce them.

To date, only a few counterfeits have been found on the market, and thus far none in North America.

What can you do?

Only purchase from an authorized Petzl retailer to be sure that you are purchasing a genuine Petzl product.
If you have any doubt as to the authenticity of Petzl products, please help us and contact Petzl America at [email protected] or (877) 807-3805. For a list of Petzl retailers, please visit:

The Professional Products Dealer Locator (http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/dealer-locator)
The Sport Products Dealer Locator (http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/dealer-locator)

If the retailer from whom you purchased your equipment is not listed, please contact Petzl America at the email and phone number listed above

canoehead
02-12-2011, 10:27
No it would hard to tell the difference in general. We inspect each piece of gear before and after we use it, we check for the usual wear tear types of things and keep a written history of each also..
That's why I said "I got nothing good to say about those no good sons a b------." Anyone knowingly doing something like this needs to go to jail, and I'm being extremely nice. Better yet. Put them on Belay and give them the opportunity to use the bogus gear for themselves.

double d
02-12-2011, 10:33
Yeah, but by visual inspection could you (or someone else) definitely pick out the counterfeit from the real deal without in-depth or destructive testing? Petzl isn't telling the general public how to ID the fakes:

There is a significant risk that these counterfeit products could open or otherwise fail at low loads and under normal use:

These counterfeit products do not meet UIAA or CE safety standards.
These counterfeit products do not meet Petzl safety and quality requirements.

It will be very difficult for you to identify these fakes:

They have been reproduced in a way that makes them very difficult to identify. The following features have been reproduced nearly identically:

Design
Color
Product markings
Batch number
Instructions for use (down to the most minor details)
Packaging
Only an in-depth analysis allows us to identify these counterfeit products, due to minor differences in the tools used to produce them.

To date, only a few counterfeits have been found on the market, and thus far none in North America.

What can you do?

Only purchase from an authorized Petzl retailer to be sure that you are purchasing a genuine Petzl product.
If you have any doubt as to the authenticity of Petzl products, please help us and contact Petzl America at [email protected] or (877) 807-3805. For a list of Petzl retailers, please visit:

The Professional Products Dealer Locator (http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/dealer-locator)
The Sport Products Dealer Locator (http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/dealer-locator)

If the retailer from whom you purchased your equipment is not listed, please contact Petzl America at the email and phone number listed above

that is great information, thank you for posting it.

4eyedbuzzard
02-12-2011, 10:37
Better yet. Put them on Belay and give them the opportunity to use the bogus gear for themselves.

'zactly.

I've seen counterfeit TaylorMade golf clubs that are so good you really need to have in depth product knowledge and use a micrometer to tell the difference.

The really sad thing is that we (as in our US companies) are the ones that in many instances are setting them up and supplying the technology to do this. So it isn't just that the Chinese are SOB's - it's our own corporations that have abandoned their loyalty to our country as well. :mad: Some outsourcing and tech transfer is inevitable and probably good in some cases. But what has happened and the extent of it is a wholesale sellout in many cases. :mad: :mad:

Spokes
02-12-2011, 12:22
Here's one lesson learned- Don't buy Petzl ascenders, carabiners, or rescue pulley's off eBay.

JohnEbner
02-12-2011, 21:56
Thanks for the heads up.

fiddlehead
02-12-2011, 22:40
Here's a (somewhat) related story that I had just put on my facebook yesterday:

A friend bought a bunch of light bulbs, every time he screwed one in the bulb came away from the fitment..EVERY ONE.

He took the back to the shop and said they were no good.
The owner said he knew they did not work.
So my friend said 'Then why do people buy them?" "Because they cheap" "So don't they bring them back?" "No"

"But if you want ones that work, we have Phillips, but they are more expensive"