PDA

View Full Version : Registered for 50M

10-K
02-12-2011, 08:43
Ok, I just registered for my first 50 mile race. I'm running the Nashville Ultra in October. It's not a trail run - only 20% of the course is on trails but I figure it'll be a good race to test the waters.

Also registered to run the 50K again that I just ran last month.

Other races I plan on are the Iron Mt. Trail run and the Mountain Masters run and a handful of half marathons.

Anyone else got anything on the board?

Tenderheart
02-12-2011, 11:17
I'm doing a half marathon the week before I leave for my thru hike. Good luck to you in the ultra distances. I ran 20 marathons during my illustrious career.. The last one was 2008 Boston. That will be the last one unless I take leave of my senses again.

litefoot 2000

John B
02-12-2011, 14:20
Mine is:
March 26, Papa John's 10-miler, Louisville
April 9, 5k Krispy Kreme Challenge, Lexington
April 30, KY Derby Half Marathon, Louisville
Sept. 26, State to State Half Marathon, Oxford, Ohio
Oct. 23, Iron Horse Half Marathon, Versailles, KY
Nov 6, New York City Marathon (pending my application being accepted).

I'm also going to do a half marathon in late November or December, somewhere in Florida.

10-K
02-12-2011, 18:28
Is the Krispy Kreme Challenge the one where you run a certain distance, eat a dozen donuts and run back?

I read about it - it has grown exponentially since it started I understand. (pun intended.. :) )

wrongway_08
02-12-2011, 19:39
Oh, 50 mile - thought at first a 50 meter race .... was thinking "whats so great about that?" :)

The donuts thing would make me puke for sure - more power to you!

erichkopp
02-12-2011, 20:19
That's awesome, good luck! I hope to be able to run that distance in the future. I'm running my first running race next weekend - a trail half marathon in Miami, FL.

John B
02-14-2011, 14:28
Is the Krispy Kreme Challenge the one where you run a certain distance, eat a dozen donuts and run back?

I read about it - it has grown exponentially since it started I understand. (pun intended.. :) )

The Krispy Kreme Challenge started in N. Carolina but has spread to other places, too.
http://krispykremechallenge.com/NCWeekend

The one in my city is sponsored by the UK Habitat for Humanity group.

It's a 5k -- run half of it, stop and eat a dozen donuts, run back. Puke buckets are kindly provided on the return section, but if you puke before finishing a dozen, you're DQ'd. If you're wondering about the "nutrition," so to speak, it's about 2,400 calories, a couple hundred grams of sugar, untold amounts of fat and additives. Insulin shock is a race risk.

It's maybe the only race where I stand a reasonable chance of medaling in the Open division and kicking the crap out of young, skinny, in-shape runners.

inabag
02-14-2011, 17:40
Ultras are a dream right now, but working my way up to it. Just started running again this past year.

I have two 5 milers in March, one in april, Warrior dash in may, and half marathon in June. Looking at two 10 milers and another half marathon in the fall. Everything is on trail, except the one in april which is the shamrock shuffle in Chicago. That one should be interesting, as its 40k people, compared to the hundreds I am used to on the trail runs.

Good luck on your 50's 10-K.

Tenderheart
02-14-2011, 17:48
Ok, I just registered for my first 50 mile race. I'm running the Nashville Ultra in October. It's not a trail run - only 20% of the course is on trails but I figure it'll be a good race to test the waters.

Also registered to run the 50K again that I just ran last month.

Other races I plan on are the Iron Mt. Trail run and the Mountain Masters run and a handful of half marathons.

Anyone else got anything on the board?

Did you ever do the Bridge and Trestle 17-Miler in Damascus? It started at the pool and went up the Virginia Creeper to White Top, crossing over 30 bridges and trestles. Todd Eastin put it on, and he gave hand-made trivets to the finishers. It has not been held in several years. I think I did it three or four times. The scenery was unbelieveable, but it was railroad grade for the entire distance.

litefoot 2000

10-K
02-14-2011, 17:49
Ultras are a dream right now, but working my way up to it. Just started running again this past year.

I have two 5 milers in March, one in april, Warrior dash in may, and half marathon in June. Looking at two 10 milers and another half marathon in the fall. Everything is on trail, except the one in april which is the shamrock shuffle in Chicago. That one should be interesting, as its 40k people, compared to the hundreds I am used to on the trail runs.

Good luck on your 50's 10-K.

Thanks! I've just discovered trail running in the past year and love it. It's a LOT easier on my aging joints than running on the street for sure.

I ran a 50km trail race last month and 2 days later I was more or less back to normal. Running a regular marathon on the street it's 2 weeks before I even feel good enough to run again.

Blissful
02-15-2011, 22:34
Hope it goes well. :)

burk
02-15-2011, 23:05
march 12 Gate river run 15k
two weeks later okeefenokee swamp run 10k in waycross ga.

markc7
02-16-2011, 11:12
Good luck 10-K!

I'm hoping to do the Vermont 100 Mile this summer. I DNF'd there back in 2005, and it's payback time. I might do a couple of other trail races to prepare, but don't have anything fixed yet.

Ashevillian
02-16-2011, 14:00
Hey 10-K why don't you try this one, it's next week and nothing but fun!
http://www.blackmountainmarathon.com/

10-K
02-16-2011, 14:20
Hey 10-K why don't you try this one, it's next week and nothing but fun!
http://www.blackmountainmarathon.com/

I'm done for a while......

In the past 3 months I've ran a 2 half marathons, a 16 mile trail run, a street marathon and a 50km trail run.

Oh, and hiked the Foothills Trail (76 miles) in 3 days. :)

Ashevillian
02-16-2011, 15:14
Yeah, I was going to registar but I got a paper cut yesterday and decided to bow out.

sbhikes
02-16-2011, 16:27
I just started running after taking more than a year to try and recover from hiking the PCT. My hope is to run in the 40 mile Santa Barbara Red Rock run. Used to be called the 9 Trails. I'm not really a runner, though, so it may never happen. I just really miss the rush of feeling super in shape that hiking the PCT gave me and training to run an ultra seems to be like the easiest way to get that rush without quitting my day job.

mweinstone
02-16-2011, 21:22
ran once. quit. 15 years i ran. loved the adiction. the salt. the freedom. never got past 22 mi. one day i stopped like forrest gump. dont know why. bothers me sometimes. loved to be efficient. ahh the ease of running well. those moments, you know the ones. like sex almost. miss runnin. dont ever stop guys.

10-K
02-16-2011, 21:31
I just really miss the rush of feeling super in shape that hiking the PCT gave me and training to run an ultra seems to be like the easiest way to get that rush without quitting my day job.

One of the nice things about trail running is that I can spend a lot of time in the woods but still be at home at night too.

This past summer when the days were longer I'd have my wife drop me off at an AT trailhead 20-30 miles from home and I'd spend the day running back home. Pretty cool.

runfifty
02-16-2011, 22:36
You might consider trying the Strolling Jim 40 mile ultra in Wartrace, TN on 5/7/11. I've never run that one but it gets good reviews from other runners. It's the 33rd year for the race so they should have all the details dialed in. It would be a natural step up in distance from your 50K to the 50 mile.

Johnny Thunder
02-16-2011, 22:50
10K- the town mountain 10 mile run in asheville is probably my favorite long one. it's 5 miles up 900 ft on road and 5 miles back down on dirt. really neat run and part of the mountain sports festival in late may. look it up.

i'm running a half-marathon on Jeju-do Island this coming March. Then another full on Jeju on my 30th (korean 30) birthday in June. Going to take a break after that to focus on muay thai and avoid the monsoon/heat-humidity we get over here. But then hopefully a full in the fall and a 50K in the late fall/late winter.

Matty. You're right. It's the efficiency that excites me. I'm down to 165 pounds of lean and strong. Between the running, weight training, and daily boxing i'm at about three and a half hours of pushing a day. It feels great to get that out of my body.

Johnny T

Nature Boy
02-21-2011, 11:20
Hey 10-K, best of luck on your upcoming 50 miler.

I have a 50K this weekend and next weekend is the GUTS Reactor Run 100M in Dawesonville. The begining of May is when the real fun begins, that's when I will start my AT run...

nature boy

map man
02-22-2011, 23:47
I'm planning to run in the Newton, Iowa Speedway 8k on April 16th -- it finishes at the finish line of their speedway!

10-K, I think getting your feet wet in the ultramarathon with a 50K was smart. I'm looking at the ultra calendar at ultrarunning.com. Was it either the SwampStomper 50K in Tennessee or the NC Fat Ass 50K you ran in last month?

I ran my first ultra, the Superior Trail 50 mile in Lutsen, Minnesota, last September, and I think I should have picked an easier one for my first. Ultrarunning.com rates both terrain and surface on a scale from 1 (easy) to 5 (too hard) on its calendar and the Superior Trail was rated a 4 for terrain and 5 for surface (lots and lots of rocks and roots on a single track) and I really paid for it. My quads quit on me and I had to walk almost all of the last 6 miles of the 52 mile race, most of it in the dark with a wimpier headlamp than I should have had. And because I'm a bit of a shuffler when I run the rocks and roots grabbed my feet more times than I can count, a couple times resulting in full-blown face plants! Ouch. I did finish, though, which is better than 40% of the field did.

So for my next one I'm planning to back off to a 50K with a terrain of 3 or 4 and a surface rating no tougher than 3 (I think a 3 is about equivalent to mostly jeep track). I thought I found the perfect one, the Coyote Trail 50K in Marin County California, with impressive views of the Pacific Ocean and Golden Gate Bridge -- it was held on Dec. 26 last year which would have fit in perfectly with an 11 day break I have when my workplace shuts down for Christmas through New Year's, but unfortunately it seems to be scheduled for December 10 this year. I'm thinking of running in a traditional marathon in Kingwood, Texas on Jan. 1 instead.

Good luck with the 50 miler, and Nature Boy, the same to you in that 100 miler coming up.

Ladytrekker
02-23-2011, 13:59
My next three are:

Race for the Taste 5k
Nocatee Conquest Adventure Race
Disneys Expedition Everest Challenge

Spokes
02-23-2011, 14:52
You're gonna have a blast 10-K!

10-K
02-23-2011, 15:35
10-K, I think getting your feet wet in the ultramarathon with a 50K was smart. I'm looking at the ultra calendar at ultrarunning.com. Was it either the SwampStomper 50K in Tennessee or the NC Fat Ass 50K you ran in last month?

Thanks - I couldn't imagine going from 26.2 miles to 50 miles without something in between! Running 50 miles is as different from 26.2 miles as running 26.2 miles is to 10k - a whole 'nother level of pacing.

The race I ran in January was the Harbison 50k (www.carolinaultras.com). It was such a good race I've already registered for it again next January. :)

You're gonna have a blast 10-K!

Just finishing at all will be a win in my book. I do hope it's fun though.... The Nashville Ultra has been around a while and from what I understand Nashville doesn't have the hills East TN does.

Hey 10-K, best of luck on your upcoming 50 miler.

I have a 50K this weekend and next weekend is the GUTS Reactor Run 100M in Dawesonville. The begining of May is when the real fun begins, that's when I will start my AT run...

Thank you and good luck on the GUTS Reactor run. I saw that and just shook my head.

(secretly acknowledging that my goal is to eventually run a 100 miler...)

max patch
02-23-2011, 16:55
10-K - I think you need a new screen name!

Spokes
02-23-2011, 17:28
10-K go for the gold and just follow Dean Karnazes as he runs across country (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110223/ap_en_ot/us_ap_on_tv_dean_s_road_trip).

Nature Boy
02-24-2011, 00:18
Thank you and good luck on the GUTS Reactor run. I saw that and just shook my head.

(secretly acknowledging that my goal is to eventually run a 100 miler...)

Let me know when you are ready to tackle a 100 miler. The Pinhoti 100 is coming up in November and it's a blast.

Mags
02-24-2011, 11:40
Start slow...and then taper off!!! :D