PDA

View Full Version : Ways to eat tortillas

moldy
02-12-2011, 09:36
Flat bread/tortillas are available in most resupply places on the trail. They are easy to carry and seem to last. What are some of the things you put on them to make a wrap?

garlic08
02-12-2011, 10:00
I'm a no-cook hiker, so tortillas are my staple. I'm also ovo-lacto vegetarian, so mainly I put cheese on them. When it's too hot for cheese, I use peanut butter. Or nothing. But I've seen just about everything put on tortillas, including melted Snickers bars.

I also met a hiker on the CDT who put store-bought tortillas in her mail drops about a month ahead of time, and they were still fine when she picked them up. So yes, they do seem to last. I get them to last about a week in my pack before they start crumbling apart.

There was a comparison study done once that tested the backpacking qualities of tortillas and the national brands like Mission fared pretty well, as I remember.

I have seen very few places where I could not buy a couple bags of tortillas. On the AT, I remember only one gas station C-store where I had to buy hot dog buns instead. They're everywhere now.

4shot
02-12-2011, 10:35
peanut butter and jelly or honey!!!!! Some stores carry the PB & J premixed in a plastic container which may be the greatest invention in the history of mankind. Ate PB almost every day unless I was in town and did not burn out on it like some of the other trail foods. I actually preferred the thin bagels as they seemed to maintain structural integrity better in my pack. I also liked the lipton's spanish or mexican rice with slices of sausage, pepperoni, etc. rolled up in a tortilla or on a bagel.

Tenderheart
02-12-2011, 11:06
Flat bread/tortillas are available in most resupply places on the trail. They are easy to carry and seem to last. What are some of the things you put on them to make a wrap?

Peanut butter. It is the best food source, per ounce, that one can carry. Or so I have been told by those smarter than I am.

litefoot 2000

Blissful
02-12-2011, 11:29
Sausage or pepperoni and cheese

royalusa
02-12-2011, 13:21
Mashed potatoes! Yes, you read that right ... we put our dinner mashed potatoes in tortillas and it tastes great. Should I dare also say that we go cookless so our mashed potatoes are cold.

Iceaxe
02-12-2011, 13:37
Spam and cheddar with mayonnaise (from a packet).
Tuna, Spam, Cheddar, and mayonnaise.
The all time favorite..... The blessed Nutella and Peanutbutter in a tortilla! (much salivating!)
If you want some added crunch with any of these try putting crushed fritos corn chips inside.
Fritos are pratically a health food. Ingredients: Corn, Oil, Salt:sun

Forrest Phil
02-12-2011, 13:48
One of my favorite lunches is whole wheat tortillas with swiss cheese, half an avocado sliced, salt, and pepper. It is also very good with the addition of pepperoni.

elray
02-12-2011, 14:19
I like pre-cooked bacon and mayo on mine, PBJ also.

strollingalong
02-12-2011, 14:47
cochinita pibil y habanero beeeeaches

Venture Owl
02-12-2011, 15:06
Filled with chocolate chips and marshmallows, then heated over a camp fire, for a nice hot dessert.

vibbertations
02-12-2011, 16:55
Has anyone ever taken a lightweight skillet and olive oil to have chips and salsa or something of the sorts?

I realize this wouldn't be very lightweight at all but it would be good!

Awol1970
02-12-2011, 17:00
Do y'all take mostly flour tortillas? Or do some dabble in the corn variety. All the amigos I know stay strictly with a yellow or white corn tortilla. They look on you with derision if you show up at a jobsite with the flour type. More than one has adamantly claimed that the corn gives you more "power".

I like em all though, and corn is more prone to crumbling.

Cabin Fever
02-12-2011, 18:26
For the first night or second night out, I like to take the Lipton/Knorr Spanish rice and some Taco Bell sauce packets and make a spanish night out of it. I also throw some cheddar on that. I took a brick of cheddar in the Smokies in the dead of summer last year and it lasted long enough for me to eat it all.

Ironbelly
02-12-2011, 18:45
Flour torilla-Can of chicken, sliced avocado, onion, and taco seasoning or your own mix of it. I usually make it hot by sauteeing the onion and chicken with the taco seasoning. Add some cheese and eat up.

I also make bean burittos with the dry refried bean flakes you can get at most any spanish market, with some diced onion and cheddar. I have also added beef jerkey to this and it was pretty tasty as well.

garlic08
02-12-2011, 19:01
Do y'all take mostly flour tortillas? Or do some dabble in the corn variety. All the amigos I know stay strictly with a yellow or white corn tortilla. They look on you with derision if you show up at a jobsite with the flour type. More than one has adamantly claimed that the corn gives you more "power".

I like em all though, and corn is more prone to crumbling.

Flour have more fat, I think. That's why I carry them on the trail, and probably why they seem to last longer before going stale. I enjoy both at home.

That preference/bias reminds me of Ray Jardine and his corn pasta. Ray Jardine is a PCT guru who touts endlessly the nutritional and energy advantages of corn pasta. The year I hiked the PCT the hiker boxes were full of corn pasta. It's probably superior to wheat pasta, but it just doesn't taste as good.

Feral Bill
02-12-2011, 19:07
dried bean flakes, rehydrated + onions, cheese, peppers, etc.

Yum

maybe clem
02-12-2011, 19:20
For the first dinner after a resupply I like to sauté diced onion in some EVOO and add broccoli. Then I cut a tortilla into sections and with some cheddar cheese I can make broccoli quesadillas. Tabasco goes well on them, too.

BrianLe
02-13-2011, 00:42
+1 to dried refried beans (powder). Lightweight to carry, good source of protein, and tasty.

swjohnsey
02-13-2011, 11:06
+1 to dried refried beans (powder). Lightweight to carry, good source of protein, and tasty.

Where doya get refried bean powder?

harryfred
02-13-2011, 11:22
Has anyone ever taken a lightweight skillet and olive oil to have chips and salsa or something of the sorts?

I realize this wouldn't be very lightweight at all but it would be good!
OOOH! that would be good take it on a section hike where I only take the skillet, or run it down to the shelter as a bit of trail magic for the thru hikers the salsa could be dumped of in a Ziploc bag It is so acidic and salty it will take along time to go bad. Add a little cheese. :banana

Hikes in Rain
02-13-2011, 12:04
We've got an excellent dried refried bean in bulk at our local health food store.

Grampie
02-13-2011, 12:50
Just check the exp. date on the package when you buy them. i brought a package at the IGA store in Rangley, Maine and when I opened it the tortillas were moldy. The exp. date was two months past. I guess not too many folks eat tortillas in Maine.:-?

4shot
02-13-2011, 13:36
Just check the exp. date on the package when you buy them. i brought a package at the IGA store in Rangley, Maine and when I opened it the tortillas were moldy. The exp. date was two months past. I guess not too many folks eat tortillas in Maine.:-?

they just sell inedible stuff to the hikers - they'll eat anything.:D

BrianLe
02-13-2011, 13:42
"We've got an excellent dried refried bean in bulk at our local health food store."

I probably have some local source too, but what I've done is to buy a 12-pack of 7-oz smaller boxes of it via Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Foods-Instant-Refried-7-Ounce/dp/B000GZSCW2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297618871&sr=8-1-fkmr0). If you're doing a lot of hiking (like a thru-hike) or you hike with others a lot this might work for you (otherwise, it's a lot of beans ...).

Grampie
02-13-2011, 14:04
they just sell inedible stuff to the hikers - they'll eat anything.:D

The problem was that I had hiked out of town before I opened the package..

moldy
02-14-2011, 10:42
Take that extra bit of instant oatmeal, add a small amount of cold water into the package. Make a mush, spread it on the tortilla, add a half a mini box of raisins and any kind of sugar or honey. roll it up

Farr Away
02-14-2011, 10:51
I found an 'instant' bean dip in WalMart. It was in a plastic bowl with paperboard wrapped around that. I think the directions said to microwave, but it worked very well in a freezer bag with hot water. There were two different kinds of beans - refried and black.

-FA

buz
02-14-2011, 11:34
another peanut butter and honey fan. Staple for breakfast. Lean forward when eating thou, lol. Honey only good in your mouth and in container, nowhere else, lol.

sarbar
02-14-2011, 13:01
Look for instant refried beans in the "ethnic section" of grocery stores. You can find black or pinto bean versions. Sometimes they are crammed in with the couscous and instant hummus. You can also use black bean soup mix made with less water. Look for soup cups for that.

Personally you can put nearly anything on a tortilla! It can add 100-500 calories per wrap, depending on size and type!

Sickmont
02-14-2011, 13:05
cochinita pibil y habanero beeeeaches

YYYYYYUUUUUUMMMMMMM!!! But, most importantly, what KIND of habs?

Odd Man Out
02-14-2011, 14:36
Spam and cheddar with mayonnaise (from a packet). Tuna, Spam, Cheddar, and mayonnaise.

If you're 50 years old (plus or minus) you probably know about this option:

...Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam....

maybe clem
02-14-2011, 16:35
...Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam....

Hahahahaha! Good times, good times...

wvgrinder
02-15-2011, 10:41
Mix in some cheese & hot sauce-yummy!

wvgrinder
02-15-2011, 13:53
http://www.getoutzine.com/node/1320

(This is a recipe for SPAM tortillas, not a spam link.)