PDA

View Full Version : My gear list so far

DVNDSN
02-12-2011, 10:17
Not in any particular order, just showing what I've got so far. Hiking in the smokies for a night over spring break with the wife.

Osprey Aura 65 (hers)
Osprey Atmos 65 (mine)
Marmot Sawtooth +15 (mine)
Marmot Pinnacle +15 (hers)
Light my Fire firesteel
Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4
Nalgene Travel Bottle Kit (2)
Black Diamond Spot Headlamps (2)
Black Diamond Orbit Lanterns (2)
Leatherman Style CS multitool (2)
Mountain Hardwear monkey fleece jacket (hers)

All of the above I ordered and got in either yesterday, earlier this week, or earlier this month. I tell you, it was like a second Christmas!

What I plan to get in regards to my gear:
Keen Targhee II Mid Hiking Boots (hers)
Merrell Phaser Peak Hiking Boots (mine)
Marmot Reactor Fleece Jacket (mine)
Sea to Summitt eVent Dry Sack (2-6L's, 2-10L's, 2-15L's)
.9 Adventure Medical Kit
MSR Whisperlite Internationale Stove (super stoked about that)
20 oz fuel bottle
2 Xbowls
2 Xplates
2 Multitowels
MSR Quick 2 cookset
U-Dig-It shovel

Of course I haven't included toiletries, hats, and all those fine things, but this is just the gist of my gear list. Not every exact piece.

As far as water treatment, I guess I'll do iodine. I don't mind the taste and we aren't in the market for a setup yet, just doing a one night trip to test the waters with our gear. Hopefully we'll have the above before we leave during the first full week in March. BTW what temperatures can we expect around March 7-11 near Elkmont in the GSMNP?

Also, just want to say that I'm thankful to have a website such as this. Whiteblaze is simply amazing. Great folk and friends. Hopefully as I get older I'll come to know a couple of you folks.

Bags4266
02-12-2011, 10:37
For "a" night bring what you want have a good time.

DVNDSN
02-12-2011, 10:44
Well we are also going to be staying with friends the first half of the week, and then in a cabin with my family the last half of the week (the latter isn't what I wanted to do, but majority rules).

Sassafras Lass
02-12-2011, 10:51
Not in any particular order, just showing what I've got so far. Hiking in the smokies for a night over spring break with the wife.

Osprey Aura 65 (hers)
Osprey Atmos 65 (mine)
Light my Fire firesteel

All of the above I ordered and got in either yesterday, earlier this week, or earlier this month. I tell you, it was like a second Christmas!

.9 Adventure Medical Kit
20 oz fuel bottle
2 Xbowls
2 Xplates
2 Multitowels
MSR Quick 2 cookset
U-Dig-It shovel

Of course I haven't included toiletries, hats, and all those fine things, but this is just the gist of my gear list. Not every exact piece.

As far as water treatment, I guess I'll do iodine. I don't mind the taste and we aren't in the market for a setup yet, just doing a one night trip to test the waters with our gear. Hopefully we'll have the above before we leave during the first full week in March. BTW what temperatures can we expect around March 7-11 near Elkmont in the GSMNP?

Also, just want to say that I'm thankful to have a website such as this. Whiteblaze is simply amazing. Great folk and friends. Hopefully as I get older I'll come to know a couple of you folks.

Tell your lady that I too own the Targhee II Mid boots and they're just about the comfiest thing I've ever had on my feet.

DVNDSN
02-12-2011, 11:35
Tell your lady that I too own the Targhee II Mid boots and they're just about the comfiest thing I've ever had on my feet.

Will do F-Stop, good to hear that.

Big Keen fans over here, they make a durable shoe.

Also, I'm guessing by your name you either have an SLR or a DSLR. I have a 30D, and my wife has an ole Rebel. Not many people know what an f-stop is unless they take a look at the manual.

Red Beard
02-12-2011, 11:44
Another Keen fan here. They make great stuff. You may be able to save a little bit of weight by going with a smaller fuel bottle (I think MSR makes an 11oz if I'm not mistaken). Other than that, have a blast!

Sassafras Lass
02-12-2011, 12:45
Will do F-Stop, good to hear that.

Big Keen fans over here, they make a durable shoe.

Also, I'm guessing by your name you either have an SLR or a DSLR. I have a 30D, and my wife has an ole Rebel. Not many people know what an f-stop is unless they take a look at the manual.

I had film SLRs and now have the P90, my first foray into digital - after we blow all our $$ on the AT I'm going back to work and saving up for my D700 :banana Then on to Alaska and wherever else I can afford to travel - I'd love to support myself, even partially, through photography.

Buzz Saw
02-12-2011, 13:42
Another Keen fan. Have two PCTs broken in and the targee IIs also. My wife loves hers best shoe she has ever owned.

DVNDSN
02-12-2011, 13:59
You may be able to save a little bit of weight by going with a smaller fuel bottle (I think MSR makes an 11oz if I'm not mistaken).

I'm all about shaving a little weight here and there. How long would a 20 oz fuel bottle last me compared to the 11 oz? I know it will be one night, but there are many more adventures yet to come!

DVNDSN
02-12-2011, 14:04
I had film SLRs and now have the P90, my first foray into digital - after we blow all our $$ on the AT I'm going back to work and saving up for my D700 :banana Then on to Alaska and wherever else I can afford to travel - I'd love to support myself, even partially, through photography.

I worked for a professional sports photography company for a year. I met my wife, got her hired on too, and worked two more years before quitting. I couldn't stand all those soccer moms and cheerleading moms over my shoulder (not to mention the countless heinsman poses the football kids would try).
If I could support myself doing freelance, I would, but that's a pretty big leap I'm not willing to take. Fun stuff though, for sure!

DVNDSN
02-12-2011, 14:09
It's good to hear all these good reviews about the Keens. I let my wife pick the shoe, glad she made the right choice. Like I said, hopefully we'll have the shoes and gear before we take our trip. There will be a couple of creek crossings, so the waterproof feature will be put to the test.

Red Beard
02-12-2011, 16:02
When I used to carry a white gas stove, an 11oz tank would last me (by myself) an entire week, and I'd have fuel left over. I wouldn't think that you'd burn that much more fuel with 2 people. Of course, when I "cook" in the backcountry, all I'm doing is boiling water.

I'm all about shaving a little weight here and there. How long would a 20 oz fuel bottle last me compared to the 11 oz? I know it will be one night, but there are many more adventures yet to come!

DVNDSN
02-12-2011, 19:36
When I used to carry a white gas stove, an 11oz tank would last me (by myself) an entire week, and I'd have fuel left over. I wouldn't think that you'd burn that much more fuel with 2 people. Of course, when I "cook" in the backcountry, all I'm doing is boiling water.

Okay, it sounds pretty smart, I might just buy both! Thanks Red Beard!

DVNDSN
02-25-2011, 15:16

Osprey Aura 65 (hers)
Osprey Atmos 65 (mine)
Light my Fire firesteel

.9 Adventure Medical Kit
20 oz fuel bottle
2 Xbowls
2 Xplates
2 Multitowels
MSR Quick 2 cookset
U-Dig-It shovel

I did end up getting the 2 fuel bottles as Red Beard recommended, we'll take the smaller bottle with us on our hike in the smokies coming up. My wifes shoes were too small, so we sent them back yesterday. Mine are on backorder. I didn't go with the Marmot Reactor Jacket, but a Patagonia R2 jacket. I didn't buy 6 dry sacks either, just 2 small and 2 medium (same brand though). I also bought a few other items I'll just go down and list(along with what I have and what's on backorder):

Osprey Aura 65 (hers)
Osprey Atmos 65 (mine)
Light my Fire firesteel
Merrell Phaser Peak Hiking Boots (mine, backordered)
Patagonia R2 Fleece Jacket (mine)
Sea to Summitt eVent Dry Sack (2 Small, 2 Medium)
.9 Adventure Medical Kit
MSR Whisperlite Internationale Stove
11 oz fuel bottle
20 oz fuel bottle
2 Xbowls
2 Xplates
2 Multitowels
MSR Quick 2 cookset
U-Dig-It shovel
Patagonia Torrentshell jacket (hers)
PMI 3mm utility cord (50ft)
Sea to Summit Alpha Utensil Set (2)
REI Multitowel (2)
Buck Nobleman Ti Knife
REI Flaphat (for my little man)
RKS Shades (for my little man again)
REI Cascade rain pants and jacket (for my little man, yet again!)
Liberty Mountain tick key (this thing had great reviews, much needed)
MSR Miniworks EX waterfilter (Got the pump for now, I'll buy aquamira later)
Therm-a-rest Prolite plus (mine)
Therm-a-rest Prolite plus (hers, on backorder)
Badger anti-bug balm (2, on backorder)

TWO last things to get: Rain pants for my wife and I. We are going to the WB Nashville dinner tomorrow, so we will stop in REI and pick those up there!

Pretty sure I've paid for REI's rent thrice times over. Oh well, it's just money! Besides, we enjoy hiking, and now we can enjoy it better. I'm excited about Ruby Tuesdays tomorrow. Meeting other hikers should be awesome! You gonna be there? Here's the link to the thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68183

Turtle Feet
02-25-2011, 15:43
I couldn't stand all those soccer moms and cheerleading moms over my shoulder (not to mention the countless heinsman poses the football kids would try).

That's pretty funny! I can just picture all the 'little heismans".

My youngest son is a photography student in his second year. He'll be joining me on the trail in VA. I doubt we'll actually be hiking much together as he'll be absorbed in his picture taking!

Are the two of you thru-hiking?

tf

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-25-2011, 15:47
The Therm-a-rest was a good idea, gotta have one of those. Have you considered seating arrangements? Sitting on logs isn't bad, but as I got older I caved in and got a Crazy Creek chair, love it (also therm-a-rest makes a lightweight insert for your pad, turns it into a crazy creek style chair). Also when you are staying with your friends, are they providing shelter (tent)? If you have any knee problems hiking poles / big stick could help with that (depending on the length of your hike). Also I like to carry some para-cord and a few carabiners just incase, doesn't weigh much, and i use the carabiners for attaching things to the outside of my pack anyways.

JaxHiker
02-25-2011, 15:53
I worked for a professional sports photography company for a year. I met my wife, got her hired on too, and worked two more years before quitting. I couldn't stand all those soccer moms and cheerleading moms over my shoulder (not to mention the countless heinsman poses the football kids would try).
If I could support myself doing freelance, I would, but that's a pretty big leap I'm not willing to take. Fun stuff though, for sure!
I'm wearing Keen Targhee II lows right now and have the mids at home. Love 'em!

I also love my Orbit lantern but I'd leave one at home. I used one on a hike with 4 others and it provided adequate light for us. Of course it's lightweight so it's not a killer but ounces = pounds.

I can also seriously relate on the soccer mom issue. I loved shooting youth soccer but one of my "favorite" comments that I overheard was from a lady shooting next to me. She was telling the other parents, "Don't worry about buying his photos. I'll just give you a CD of mine." It's hard to compete with that. It didn't take long for me to realize that many parents don't care about quality. I'd hear them raving about a shot of little Johnny that was so out of focus they could only tell it was their kid because the blurry jersey number was large enough to make out.

I didn't really care for T&I and the kids usually wanted to do their own poses or just plain wouldn't cooperate. "The flash hurts my eyes." "I don't like to kneel." blah blah blah. Give me inanimate objects to shoot any day. :) Unfortunately T&I was where the money was. I guess there were too many parents giving away their action photos to make money there.

DVNDSN
02-26-2011, 14:04
That's pretty funny! I can just picture all the 'little heismans".

My youngest son is a photography student in his second year. He'll be joining me on the trail in VA. I doubt we'll actually be hiking much together as he'll be absorbed in his picture taking!

Are the two of you thru-hiking?

tf

I wish we were Turtle Feet! My wife and I are a young couple with a little bambino ourselves wanting to take a small vacation. We'll be gone a couple nights camping is all. We do want to do the AT someday. Just a little far down our "to do" list! The only reason we are taking all of this for a couple nights out is because we just want to try it all out. BTW, I see you're doing your thru this year, do you mind if I follow you through your Trailjournal blog?

DVNDSN
02-26-2011, 14:08
The Therm-a-rest was a good idea, gotta have one of those. Have you considered seating arrangements? Sitting on logs isn't bad, but as I got older I caved in and got a Crazy Creek chair, love it (also therm-a-rest makes a lightweight insert for your pad, turns it into a crazy creek style chair). Also when you are staying with your friends, are they providing shelter (tent)? If you have any knee problems hiking poles / big stick could help with that (depending on the length of your hike). Also I like to carry some para-cord and a few carabiners just incase, doesn't weigh much, and i use the carabiners for attaching things to the outside of my pack anyways.

Our friends live in knoxville, we're just visiting them and then doing our hike. We'll leave from their house to the GSMNP area to start our hikes. I do have the rope, but no biners. I'll get some this weekend at REI.

DVNDSN
02-26-2011, 14:09
I'm wearing Keen Targhee II lows right now and have the mids at home. Love 'em!

I also love my Orbit lantern but I'd leave one at home. I used one on a hike with 4 others and it provided adequate light for us. Of course it's lightweight so it's not a killer but ounces = pounds.

I can also seriously relate on the soccer mom issue. I loved shooting youth soccer but one of my "favorite" comments that I overheard was from a lady shooting next to me. She was telling the other parents, "Don't worry about buying his photos. I'll just give you a CD of mine." It's hard to compete with that. It didn't take long for me to realize that many parents don't care about quality. I'd hear them raving about a shot of little Johnny that was so out of focus they could only tell it was their kid because the blurry jersey number was large enough to make out.

I didn't really care for T&I and the kids usually wanted to do their own poses or just plain wouldn't cooperate. "The flash hurts my eyes." "I don't like to kneel." blah blah blah. Give me inanimate objects to shoot any day. :) Unfortunately T&I was where the money was. I guess there were too many parents giving away their action photos to make money there.

Pretty much the nail on the head. Parents only like to see their children in action in a photo. Not a whole lot more than that!

Turtle Feet
02-26-2011, 14:21
I wish we were Turtle Feet! My wife and I are a young couple with a little bambino ourselves wanting to take a small vacation. We'll be gone a couple nights camping is all. We do want to do the AT someday. Just a little far down our "to do" list! The only reason we are taking all of this for a couple nights out is because we just want to try it all out. BTW, I see you're doing your thru this year, do you mind if I follow you through your Trailjournal blog?

Well, the kids do grow up fast, although right now it may not seem like it for you. At least you'll have some great photos of your little one!

Please do follow me - I'm going to try to update when possible, if I have something interesting to say...hehe. It's barely 2 weeks away now and I get almost breathless thinking about it. Hang on to that dream because one day you'll be sitting at home, 2 weeks away from your start date too!!!

Have fun testing out all that gear!

tf

DVNDSN
02-26-2011, 14:50
Well, the kids do grow up fast, although right now it may not seem like it for you. At least you'll have some great photos of your little one!

Please do follow me - I'm going to try to update when possible, if I have something interesting to say...hehe. It's barely 2 weeks away now and I get almost breathless thinking about it. Hang on to that dream because one day you'll be sitting at home, 2 weeks away from your start date too!!!

Have fun testing out all that gear!

tf

Yeah, first comes crawling, then comes college!

I'm sure there will be lots of fun to be had! Today is the WB dinner in Nashville, definitely looking forward to getting off work and driving down there!

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-26-2011, 21:13
Knoxvegas FTW. There are some GREAT day hikes in this area. Also, there's a neat little book called "Day hikes of the Smokies" and I use the "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" book. I'll be on the West Prong trail during the last weekend of spring break. Cades Cove is beautiful, and Abram's Falls is also great, but might be a little cold right now to play in the water.

DVNDSN
02-27-2011, 00:39
Knoxvegas FTW. There are some GREAT day hikes in this area. Also, there's a neat little book called "Day hikes of the Smokies" and I use the "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" book. I'll be on the West Prong trail during the last weekend of spring break. Cades Cove is beautiful, and Abram's Falls is also great, but might be a little cold right now to play in the water.

That's exactly what I told my wife; too cold for the water. She keeps reiterating how her and her family would play in the water every year that they would go (which would be around winter). She will see when we get there that the water is too cold!

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-27-2011, 10:35
Yeah, it's like hypothermia cold right now... still in the 20s in higher elevations at night. It is getting up in the 60s during the day, so it will be beautiful hiking/camping weather. Have fun you guys!

woodstock64
02-27-2011, 23:43
DVNDSN, Maybe I missed it but I don't see a shelter on your list.

DVNDSN
02-28-2011, 02:24
DVNDSN, Maybe I missed it but I don't see a shelter on your list.

The Alps Mountaineering Lynx 4 is our tent. Double walled, weighs in at around 7 pounds.