PDA

View Full Version : Billville Winter Warmer - Duncannon, PA - March 4-6

chomp
01-04-2005, 11:55
Happy New Year!

I would like to announce the 2nd Annual Billville Winter Warmer! Due to a scheduling conflict, the NEW DATE for the Warmer will be March 4, 5 and 6.

Q: What is a 'Winter Warmer"?

A: The Winter Warmer is just an excuse to get together and hang out with friends who love the AT and hiking. It is rather loosely sponsored by Billville (a sub-group of AT hikers and trail angels) but all are welcome. There are no planned events at the warmer other than socializing in the bar on Friday and Saturday night. Other than that, everything is done on the fly. Options for the weekend are numerous, however, with numerous hiking options in the area. Also, last year, taking the tour of Gettysburg was a highlight of the weekend for me. If you have never been there, I highly suggest making the trip. Do so with Jester and/or Baltimore Jack if you can.

Also, if the conditions are not too bad, we try to organize a shelter-cleaning hike. This is just a short hike into a shelter to look around and clean up whatever might need cleaning.

Q: Where is the Winter Warmer?

A: The Warmer will once again be held at the Doyle Hotel and Bar in downtown Duncannon, PA. There are several rooms available, and the quiet hours start at 2 am. If this is too much, there is a campground just down the street, or the truck stop just outside of town. Last year, we had everyone stay in the Doyle, and it should be that way this year as well, especially if you dont mind curling up on a piece of floor.

The Doyle is kind enough to host this event and they have treated us very well in the past. We are welcome to socialize in the main bar, which has live entertainment, but we also have access to the upstairs bar if we want.

Q: What do I bring to the Warmer?

A: First, bring yourself! Bring your hiking gear and be prepared for snowy and icy conditions. Bring a good size pack, just in case we find a lot of trash at a shelter. Bring your mountain bike, just in case. I'll be bringing mine (and yes, it has studs for ice riding). Bring any photo albums that you would like to share. If you are a future AT hiker, bring your questions. If you are a past AT hiker, bring your answers.

We would like to invite any hikers that are heading down to Springer to stop in at the Doyle on your way south. What a better way to start your AT hike than to hit one of the famous places on the trail and chew the fat with some like-minded people?

Q: Anything else I should know about the Warmer?

A: Well, as always, Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited. Also, if you are planning to attend, please let me know as soon as possible. I will be calling soon to reserve rooms at the Doyle, so if you wait until the last minute (which is OK) to decide, I can't guarentee a space at the inn, so to speak.

If you would like more information, or you would like to confirm your attendance, you can post a reply here or send me a Private Message. I hope to see many of you at the Second Annual Billville Winter Warmer!

chomp

30seconds2000
01-04-2005, 19:53
Good date change, I might actually be able to make it. Hey PA people, where is the closest airport? I'll start searching for cheap flights.
Or if I drive, is there anyone from the southeast wants to carpool?
My daytime activty might have to be studying, but I will do my best to be there.

saimyoji
01-04-2005, 21:12
Contra dancing?? :confused:

WalkinHome
01-05-2005, 18:11
I am sooooo there!! Will bring my drum circle.

Lilred
01-05-2005, 18:48
I am sooooo there!! Will bring my drum circle.

Excellent!! I'll bring my drum as well. ;)

The Old Fhart
01-05-2005, 20:13
Chomp:"A: Well, as always, Contra Dancing is strictly prohibited." Let me get this straight, you're telling me Contra Dancing is not allowed at the Doyle??? :banana (banana dancing is o.k.)

Alligator
01-05-2005, 20:31
Now, now, you folks are picking on someone who is not here.

But I know a little trick to get him to pop in if you like. He won't post though.

chomp
01-06-2005, 09:06
Actually not picking on anyone, but it is a running joke now. All Billville-sponsored events have been strictly contra dance-free for years. :)

Lone Wolf
01-06-2005, 09:12
It's cuz Billville people have an unhealthy hatred towards Warren Doyle who is an avid contra dancer. Every year at the ALDHA Gathering a contra dance takes place.

chomp
01-06-2005, 09:16
There is no hatred - we did exactly what Mr Doyle recommended that we do - start our own gathering. The "no contra-dancing" is just a humorous response to Warren telling us to take our toys and go play somewhere else. It also seems really really lame. We also prohibit drum circles, but that is just because we find those annoying and lame. :)

Groucho
01-06-2005, 09:34
Contra dancing?? :confused:

When in doubt---Google :banana :banana :banana

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2005, 00:03
Actually Wolf, while I can't speak for the rest of Billville, my own distaste for both contra dancing and drum circles goes back to my college days, and long predates my ever having met the gentleman whose name you mentioned; I'd have a healthy disdain for both pastimes even if I'd never heard of him.

In any case, both activities are singulalrly inappropriate for the Doyle, and in any case, they'd detract from the excellent jukebox.

Jack Lincoln
01-07-2005, 01:01
Isn't that an oxymoron?

tanichols
01-07-2005, 02:00
In answer to 30seconds question the closest Airport is Harrisburg International or MDT. Nice new terminal for those who haven't been there in the past few months!

AMTRAK also comes into Harrisburg via Pittsburgh and Philly..

Hope to see some of you guys there!

LionKing
01-08-2005, 00:19
Seems like only yetserday when all the red shirts were bought...Ox and Madhatter and I were 'otherworldy' and dancing with the hot tribe dancing girls at Trail fest while the freaky local on his little kids bike was driving around talking about being a sniper in the woods and Lucky Dawg was playin' his music and cornbread and butterbean and...sniff sniff...and we went down the Shennadoah river in 9 canoes and one kayak and, and, and..Im gettin all emotional over here.

Wish I could make it.

Tha Wookie
01-08-2005, 02:14
I think if you started a drum circle at the Doyle, the Billville boys would be the last of your worries.

:D

Mountain Dew
01-08-2005, 02:29
Wookie...hilarious....You are right. They'd probably be the ones that would have to save you from a few of the "locals" upstairs at the Doyle.

ganj
01-08-2005, 17:46
Hey Guys

Would love to come out. But living on the West Coast now and can't afford expensive airfare. Had a blast at the Warmer last year, but am haunted by one single image. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2770/sort/1/size/medium/cat/500/page/)

Have a good one folks. I'll be there in spirit.

A-Train
01-09-2005, 23:35
Just spent a great night at the Doyle this past thursday with Dimples of 03'. Felt I had always missed out as I arrived on a sunday during my thru-hike and the bar was closed. Also I was underage at the time.

This place is wonderful, a little slice of americana. Vickie and Pat are great hosts and they were gracious enough to hang out for quite awhile. There was some quality live entertainment from a man and woman playing guitar/harmonica and Pat even went up to play a little. I believe these folks play each thursday and saturday nights.

The jukebox is jam packed with old favorites, the Yuengling and Troeg was flowing and the rooms were much improved from my recollections of 03'. In short, this is a classic AT stop, whether you're hiking or not. Though I admit I wouldn't have felt so guilty about the Doyle Burger, fries and beers if I had hiked a "20" instead of 20 yards.

Have a great weekend boys, wish I could make it. This place rocks!

trailangelmary
01-10-2005, 08:10
:cool:
Hello all,
I work (bartend) on Friday night at the Riviera Tavern (stop by!! and have some wings...I'm up to 54 flavors)
I will be at the Doyle Saturday evening at least. Maybe Saturday during the day if I can get off work but not likely.
Greg, aka Sheetzie, aka Peace Frog will be there. He's home! Yeah! :clap He came home on the 4th.
We can do breakfast on Sunday again at our place...new...will be moving in February. A 2 bedroom apt. above the Pub. :sun
And yes, entertainment by Sue Grace and Mark Lukens at the Doyle on Thursdays and Saturdays.
I'll make sure I have my camera batteries charged this year.
Anxious to see all of you. :D
Mary

befuddled
01-13-2005, 00:06
To 30seconds or any others. If you need a shuttle from the airport or bus/train station we can shuttle you, but would need some notification beforehand.
Looking forward to seeing ya'll again.
Pat and Vickey Kelly
Doyle Hotel

trailangelmary
01-14-2005, 05:49
Isn't that an oxymoron?
He through hiked 2004. Oxymoron, that is! Very nice gentleman from Ohio.
He stopped by Duncannon on his way home from his trough hike to see me and other wonderful people he met in Duncannon. :sun

Holly Hobbit
01-18-2005, 18:05
Hi Chomp!
This is Holly and Heidi Hobbit or popeye and river otter. We are planning on going to the Winter warmer if possible and would like to rsvp or whatever we should do with the folks at the Doyle. If we find out that we cannot come for some reason should we let you know or just contact the folks at the Doyle? Hope you are doing well.

Hobbits (we were at trashgiving at Baltimore Jacks)

chomp
01-19-2005, 09:48
Hi Chomp!
This is Holly and Heidi Hobbit or popeye and river otter. We are planning on going to the Winter warmer if possible and would like to rsvp or whatever we should do with the folks at the Doyle. If we find out that we cannot come for some reason should we let you know or just contact the folks at the Doyle? Hope you are doing well.

Hobbits (we were at trashgiving at Baltimore Jacks)
Hey Holly!

Glad to hear that you are going to be able to make the trip! There is still plenty of room so don't worry about that. I look forward to seeing you guys again down in PA.

chomp

Lone Wolf
01-30-2005, 15:30
I might have to put the Warmer on my busy calendar. I've been feeling social lately. I've been practicing my contra dancing. Y'all are putting on a dance, right? Oh, BTW I just invited myself. Do I need an invite? I mean after all Jester red-blazed me at Trail Daze.

The Old Fhart
01-30-2005, 15:44
Lone Wolf, I'm sure if you buy this item (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47086&item=3777475447&rd=1) on ebay and you contra dance, you would get a real warm welcome. :D

Lone Wolf
01-30-2005, 15:53
Gypsy has Djembe drum I can bring. No need to buy one. It's left over from her hippy days.

Mountain Dew
01-31-2005, 02:16
Lone Wolf, "I might have to put the Warmer on my busy calendar. I've been feeling social lately. I've been practicing my contra dancing. Y'all are putting on a dance, right? Oh, BTW I just invited myself. Do I need an invite? I mean after all Jester red-blazed me at Trail Daze."--- Funny stuff ! I imagine him dancing like a character on the old show HeeHaw. :D

chomp
01-31-2005, 09:53
Look forward to seeing you at the Doyle, Lone Wolf. Seeing you try to contra-dance would almost be worth setting up a dance... almost. :)

J.D.
02-10-2005, 09:44
I would like to announce the 2nd Annual Billville Winter Warmer! Due to a scheduling conflict, the NEW DATE for the Warmer will be March 4, 5 and 6.
As luck will have it (Fate...?), I will be in that area and am planning upon being there.

May I ask if any hammock-hangers will be there to offer me some advice on my DIY Zhammock? "Warmth" I have figured out; but, am having problems with the "Comfort Factor" that may have to do with my creation being too short. It's either that or I haven't gotten the "sag" just right.

Arrow02
02-11-2005, 20:07
Hey Gang,
I'm planning to leave from Nashua NH on the 3rd or 4th. I don't have anyone to riding with me at the present time so, I'm looking for a passenger or two. I'll be taking my van so there's plenty of room. Reply to this post or via e-mail [email protected]

Looking forward to spending some with the Billville crew:cool:

RedneckRye
02-11-2005, 21:22
Bad news from out here in the Billville Midwest Division. After 32 years in the same house, my folks have decided that the first weekend of March would be a great time to move. Damn... So instead of lifting Yeunglings with my trail family, I'll be lifting couches, boxes, dressers, etc with my real family. Double damn!! I'll be thinking of you all. See y'all in Damascus.
REDNECK

chomp
02-14-2005, 09:42
Redneck - sorry to hear that you are not going to be able to make it. Maybe you could hire a buddy to stand in for you? That stinks, I moved the date to the first weekend in March this year so more people could make it - I guess you can never win when you schedule these things.

Arrow - great to hear that you are going to be able to make it.

The Warmer is getting close, I look forward to seeing many of you at the Doyle. We will be arriving very late on Thursday night. As many of you know, ALDHA is holding a work trip this same weekend at the Ironmaster Hostel. Since it is only 45 minutes away, instead of the shelter-cleanup trip, the tentative plan is for a few of us to head over there on Saturday and give a hand. I need to talk to Tricks more about this, since he has been in contact with the ALDHA folks.

chomp

BooBoo
02-14-2005, 18:49
I won't be there in person but I will be there in spirit. I WILL be at Trail Days. Nimblewill Nomad lives just 3 hrs away from me so I may be bringing him and a hiker named Jed from Springfield MO with me. This time I won't have to drive all the *&^%ing way from Kans-ass all by my self.

Jack Tarlin
02-23-2005, 15:51
Just another shameless reminder to everyone that we'll be in Duncannon in just over a week!

Hope to see lots of you there.

Blister
03-01-2005, 01:41
:jump :jump :jump
A Happy 35th Birthday to Jester on Friday Night!!!!!!
:jump :jump :jump

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2005, 20:51
Off to Five-Olde to say goodbye to some friends; to Duncannon tommorow to see even more. Hope to find many of you there!

Sleepy the Arab
03-03-2005, 21:19
Regrettably there is once again too much going on for me to travel to some hiker event. Sorry folks, I'll see y'all in May.

chomp
03-08-2005, 10:29
The Second Annual Billville Winter Warmer was a great success! All told, we had 26 people show up for some or all of the weekend, which I believe about doubles last years turnout.

I first want to thank Pat and Vickey at the Doyle for their hospitality and for doing all the little extra things that made this event even better. From the "Welcome Billvilles" greeting, complete with Red Blazes, to the great food, to letting us use the second floor bar - you guys really made us feel welcome.

VSA and I were the first to arrive on Friday around noontime, while most other people filled into the Doyle later in the day. Ray brought down the rest of Billville North with Jack, Old Fhart and Blister. The Rif-Raf's rolled in earlier than expected from the Buckeye State. Trail Angel Extraordinaire Bag o' Tricks flew solo over from eastern PA in his new ride. There were also some new friends that has show up; Bigfoot, J.D. and Celtic (sp?).

Together we managed to piece together a "surprise" birthday party for the Mayor of Billville, Jester. He turned 35 on Friday, so we all snuck out of the bar, one by one, until everyone was upstairs. Thanks to some distraction by Vickey, Jester didn't notice the exodus until everyone was gone. While each of us had gotten Jester little gifts of this and that, and Blister managed to get a cake (with Red Blazes, of course), Tricks gave Jester possibly the best gift of all. At least the most memorable. And, unfortunately, that is all that is fit to publish about that on this forum.

Despite a long night on Friday, most of us were up and out of bed by 9:00 on Saturday - honestly, its true. Nine of us (Ray, Old Fhart, Blister, Chomp, Tricks, Jester, Jack and the Hobbits - whole rolled in late-night on Friday) drove down to Pine Grove to help out with the ALDHA work trip. Mostly, there was just a lot of spring cleaning to be done, but we did help with other items such as repairing the porch, fixing the exit lights and removing a dangerous shingle. Fannypack even showed up and lended a hand for a while. After a few hours of cleaning and repairing, it was time to head back to Duncannon to see the rest of our friends.

More people showed up on Saturday - D-Con, Yahtzee, Drive-By, Michelle, Fannypack, Jester's good friend (who I have meet at least twice now and still can't remember his name - sorry!), Trail Angel Mary and Greg, and I am sure a few more people that I can't remember.

It was another good night at the Doyle. Sue Grace was playing some great music for us all night, with various people joining her for different songs. Pat - you can play some mean harmonica! Jester got up there as well, singing his rendition of "What a Wonderful World." If you happened to see this at Trail Days, you know how well he does this, and it was just as good on Saturday. With all this going on, however, the highlight of the night might have been a very dirty little monkey. Again, unfortunately that is all I can say on this subject.

Sunday morning, Trail Angel Mary and Greg were gracious and invited the entire gang over to their new apartment for a Big Breakfast. You guys, I can't really thank you enough. Your new place is very nice, and everyone really appreciated you opening up your doors and your kitchen to us! A very filling breakfast was followed, of course, but the traditional Bad Hiker Poetry contest, which for the first time included a Bad Writing Surface category. Bad hiker poems are somehow much funnier when being read off the inside of a box of envelopes.

And that about wraps up the weekend. A few of us hung out for a while on the porch of the Doyle, enjoying the warm air and not really in a hurry to head home. By 2:00, though, we were all on our way.

Once again, I want to give a big thank you to Pat and Vickey for being fantastic hosts - we couldn't do it without out you. And another big thank you to Mary and Greg for breakfast - we wouldn't WANT to do it without you guys. I am still working on getting the photos up. I didn't have my camera on hand, but I do have all of Mary's photos from Saturday night and Sunday. Ray will be posting photos as well from Friday night and Saturday.

Finally, thanks to everyone who showed up and made the Second Annual Billville Winter Warmer a great time. I hope to see you all again at Trail Days!

chomp

J.D.
03-08-2005, 11:24
Ditto everything that Chomp has posted!

Especially the BIG Thank You to Pat & Vickey at The Doyle.

SkyDog says "Thanks" for having the run of The Doyle. All the pets & kisses & hugs & treats she was mooching.

Personally, I had waaaaay too much fun....<g>.....

chomp
03-08-2005, 11:28

Oh, crap - I have been spelling Vickey's name wrong this whole time. Sorry!

D-Con
03-08-2005, 13:28
Had a blast and if I didn't have to work @ 8:00 am on Sat. Yahtzee & I could have really tied one on. Oh well, next year will be here before you know it.

Hey, does anybody have digital pics posted yet of Billville??
D-con

J.D.
03-08-2005, 16:21
Had a blast and if I didn't have to work @ 8:00 am on Sat. Yahtzee & I could have really tied one on. Oh well, next year will be here before you know it.

Hey, does anybody have digital pics posted yet of Billville??
D-con
Ah... Hem...! I "tied one one" for you guys, myself, and several other people...<g>... Fortunately, SkyDog was able to find the room!

Pics...!!! Yes....!!! Seems like everyone except me had a camera - would love to see them!

Jester2000
03-09-2005, 22:21
I believe Chomp and Walkin Home will have some posted soon, either here or on a link at Billville.net

I just wanted to echo the thanks that have already been thrown around. Pat and Vickey were (as always) wonderful hosts (congrats on the roof!). Chomp did all of the heavy lifting to get the thing organized, so kudos to you and to any other elves that helped. Thank you to all who attended, especially Mary and Greg, and a special thanks to them for opening up their home to us on Sunday.

I also wanted to give an old man salute to Blister and everyone who took part in my birthday celebration -- and Trix: you really, really shouldn't have.

One final thanks -- to ALDHA and Ironmasters, without whom we wouldn't have had a reason to get off of our cans and do some honest work for a change.

See you all at Billville, VA!

Mountain Dew
03-10-2005, 03:49
Chomp and all those who helped out at Ironmasters.

THANKS for making the AT a better place. Oh so cheesey but oh so true ! :clap

J.D.
03-10-2005, 09:32
I believe Chomp and Walkin Home will have some posted soon, either here or on a link at Billville.net
Pay & Vickey have (Somehow!) found time to post 4 photos at The Doyle website - Thanks!

Nothing at Billville.net as of this morning. Anxious to see all the photos!

If only I could hit the Lottery! I'm not greedy - just a $1,000 or so... That way, I could go out and buy my own digicam for next time! $300 for the camera and the rest for all of the gear & shoes I want...<g>...

magic_game03
03-10-2005, 09:40
To everyone who was there,

I had a blast, thanks to locals and hikers who were there. poetry contest was my favorite. I think I'm hooked.

bustace
03-11-2005, 21:18
Ditto everything that Chomp has posted!

SkyDog says "Thanks" for having the run of The Doyle. All the pets & kisses & hugs & treats she was mooching.

Personally, I had waaaaay too much fun....<g>.....
Sorry I missed everyone. I was hiking in Utah and Arizona; I'm not sorry I missed the hangover:confused: Hope to see ya'll at trail days:p Bustace

WalkinHome
03-12-2005, 13:43
O.K. all you hiker trash, the pictures are up (and remain "G" rated) of this year's Billville Warmer and work trip at the Ironmaster's Hostel. Let's see some totally disrespectful quips and comments posted there. Or I'll post the non "G" rated pics.

http://gallery.backcountry.net/album55

Enjoy

J.D.
03-12-2005, 19:43
O.K. all you hiker trash, the pictures up...
http://gallery.backcountry.net/album55Enjoy
Thank You! I "thought" I had a good time! Nice to know that has now been verified....<g>...

chomp
03-14-2005, 10:04
Sorry it took me so long to get these up, but its a lot more work than you might think. Anyway, I forgot my camera, but here are some photos that were taken by Trail Angel Mary on Saturday night and Sunday AM. You read the recap, now see the photos. As always, make sure that you leave comments:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/billville-warmer05

See you all at Trail Days

chomp

J.D.
03-14-2005, 19:58
Sorry it took me so long to get these up, but its a lot more work than you might think. See you all at Trail Days chomp
Yes, lots of work & VERY much appreciated! That was real fine of you sir!

And, YES, SkyDog & I will see ya' all at Trail Days!