PDA

View Full Version : Ladies: What pack do you use?

EBC
02-12-2011, 13:16
Ladies of WB,
I posted a similar thread in the General Gear discussion yesterday (ULA Circuit vs. women's GoLite Jam) and realize now i should have posted here since this topic is fundamentally female-specific. Responders so far have been helpful gentlemen from a different age group. I am considering their advice seriously and i appreciate their opinions (and the WB community at large--so glad this resource exists at all!!!) but I'm wondering if there are women out there who can contribute to the discussion. FYI i'm 5'3" 113# and i have a longish torso, broad shoulders, and small hips.

The pack will be used for an AT flip-flop thru. Base weight will be around 15lbs, max load of 25-27lbs. I considered the Osprey Exos and it was cushy, but other (male) thru hikers have found durability issues in the hipbelt. I'm concerned that after a couple months of hiking it won't cinch down far enough, and it's not swappable (also a concern with the Jam). There has been mention of the Gossamer Gear Mariposa, which i did consider and took out of the running because i don't think i'm quite *there* yet. :p

I've narrowed down my remaining candidates to the Jam and the Circuit. Does anyone have experience with both? I like the Jam because i've been able to try it on in the store and it's fine. On the other hand people on WB just LOVE their ULAs, but jeez, it's half a pound heavier and fifty bucks more! :eek: gaaah!!

I'm also aware that i'm comparing a frameless pack to a framed one, and that frameless packs have a narrower range of comfort; given the amount of weight i'm expecting to carry and my gear selection, i don't think there will be that much of a difference between the two as far as mechanics go but i lack the practical experience to back up this hypothesis. :-? Your thoughts please.

Turtle Feet
02-12-2011, 17:18
Sorry, no experience with the Circuit, but I love my Jam. It's the lightest pack I own, but super comfortable. I did remove the internal back padding and switched it out for some cheap Wal-mart blue closed-cell pad. Just traced the existing padding on top and cut it out with scissors. It's a small, but comfortable difference.

Don't know when you're looking to buy, but I got mine last year about this time at a deep discount, so keep your eyes open for sales.

tf

Red Hat
02-12-2011, 17:54
I used the Catalyst for my thru last year. I use the Circuit on shorter hikes with less gear. I wouldn't use anything but ULA now!

In 05 I started with a Golite and found it just didn't carry that well. The ULA is worth the extra!

Country Roads
02-12-2011, 20:06
I don't have the Jam pack but I do have its "little sister" the Peak. I really like it, but probably not large enough for a thru. I have used an older model Mountainsmith Muse (no longer made :() that I have stripped down. It now weighs 2 pounds 7 ounces. I do have an older model Mariposa that I use during milder weather (might be too small for longer hikes, unless you have a compact kit).

I have used a ULA P1 pack (2003 ?), that was very comfortable and well thought out.
I think I would probably choose a ULA pack, but I would most likely choose the Ohm, since I do not need a large pack. A few outfitters sometimes carry ULA packs; you might be able to contact ULA to see if any outfitters in your area carry them. They also will work with you on fit.

Country Roads
02-12-2011, 20:09
I almost forgot, since you might loose enough weight during a thru to need tweaks to a hip belt, you might want to consider packs that have replaceable hip belts. This way you might go from a medium belt to a small or extra small belt easier.

StormBird
02-12-2011, 22:20
I used the 50 Liter Gregory Jade for my thru last year.

Oleskool
02-12-2011, 22:33
My wife uses a Jam2 and loves it.

broccoligreen
02-13-2011, 02:10
I started out with a Gregory Jade 50 but hated it... hiked with it sobo til Damascus anyway, where I switched it out for a ULA catalyst which i love! Gregory women's packs have weird padding on the back that didn't work for me. it wasn't spaced correctly for my body. the catalyst has an awesome wide hip belt and a good suspension imo. i carried 20-25 lbs.

Spirit Walker
02-13-2011, 13:40
I use a ULA Catalyst and have been very happy with it.

sandylwes
02-18-2011, 19:34
I love my ULA Circuit and Ohm....also have the Osprey Exos I use occasionally too!

gumball
02-18-2011, 20:36
I have a GG Vapor Ki.

Ladytrekker
02-18-2011, 21:52
I use a ULA Circuit very happy with it.

MommaDuck
04-06-2011, 19:45
How do you find the GG Vapor Ki? Was considering that also.

Sierra Echo
04-06-2011, 21:25
I have a REI UL 60!

skinewmexico
04-06-2011, 21:32
I like my Jam, but my Circuit and my Mariposa Plus are much more comfortable, especially when the weight gets to 25+ pounds. No comparison. And if you ever need to overload for a few days, you won't notice it like you will in the Jam. I recommend helping a company in Utah, or a company in Texas, make their payroll, rather than shipping your dollars offshore. And the customer service from ULA and GG blows GoLite right out of the water.

SassyWindsor
04-06-2011, 22:01
"GoLite Jam", is this the Jam bag some of you are speaking of? I've been looking at them and may try one. Any experience with this particular bag?