PDA

View Full Version : finding a 5 day section TN/NC

misadventurers
02-12-2011, 14:46
I just picked up the maps to plan our 5-day honeymoon trip, and I'd love some help picking a section! This will be our first time backpacking on the AT.

We'll be spending the first night of our honeymoon at the Waynesville Inn in North Carolina (Waynesville is about 30 miles west of Asheville) and will set out for the trail from there.

What is a good 5-day section from there? Which end is best to leave the car at/which spot is best for a shuttle? We want to spend as much time as we can on the trail, not in a car driving to the trail! Also, we'd like to be in good shape for driving back home (Louisville, KY) once we do finally leave the trail.

Currently I'm thinking about leaving the car at Damascus and having a shuttle drop us off in the east, at some point past Hot Springs. That way we don't spend a ton of time in a car for day one, hike back toward the car, and are in a good spot to drive home.

There's also hiking west, into the Smokies, which I haven't looked into much yet.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2011, 15:05
you'd be better off saying north-south
Hot Springs to damascus is alot more than 5 day hike for most.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2011, 15:09
in all the trail guides, the directions on the APPALACHIAN TRAIL are north to south
or south to north. hard to make a bad choice for hiking in that area
welcome to WB

misadventurers
02-12-2011, 15:58
Sorry, I should have said north/south rather than east/west.

I also meant to say I was thinking about leaving the car at Davenport Gap (not Damascus), since I-40 is pretty close to the Inn we'll be staying at.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2011, 18:17
check to see if standing bear has parking?
hiking south back to car?

10-K
02-12-2011, 18:23
You won't make Davenport Gap to Damascus in 5 days.

Davenport Gap to Erwin would be roughly five 18 mile days. It would be a pretty nice hike too..

firestarter
02-12-2011, 18:33
truly fabulous, honeymoon worthy hikes in the vicinity of damascus (and a short-ish drive from hot springs):
-the roans/hump mountains in tennessee
-grayson highlands
-staying on max patch for five nights and watching the stars, sunrises, and sunsets

excuses
02-12-2011, 22:23
What time of the year and what do you think your speed is? Some great hikes but 10, 12 is different than 18,20 mile days if you have a schedule. Between Damascus and Pearisburg are some nice hikes and the ride home would be closer. Enjoy!

Rebekah
03-04-2011, 11:07
We hiked for our honeymoon too!! Glad to see we aren't the only ones. That was May 2009 and now we plan to hike for our anniversary each year. Figured we need to stay married at least 43 years to get the AT done in 50-mile section hikes each year. :)

We planned for SOBO from Newfound Gap to Fontana, leaving our car at Fontana with a hotel reservation at the Resort there so we could clean up and enjoy the last day of our honeymoon. That was a great plan. But I messed up my knee at the bottom of Clingman's Dome on day 3 and we doubled back to get a ride back to Fontana. It was still a great hike. Months before we left, Backpacker actually rated that the best section hike on the AT. Clingman's Dome wasn't nearly as bad as all the NOBO hikers had said, and we did it both directions. I would love to tackle that section again some day, with stronger knees now.

Things we would have done differently: 1. get some good running miles in before leaving to strengthen all the muscles around my knee I hadn't used in years (i run regularly now and *almost* never have a problem with my knees, running biking or hiking), 2. take trekking poles, 3. hike a section where we could tent to have some privacy. This was our honeymoon after all. 4. Plan for gradually increasing mileage throughout the trip instead of starting with a 9-mile day - takes a few days to get into the swing of things. 5. Pack less, especially water! There was no lack of water in that section that year, and no reason we should have left every spring with a full Camelback instead of a full bladder.

Good luck to you and your bride. And have fun!

Jim Adams
03-04-2011, 11:20
I'd try Erwin to Kincora...one of the most scenic sections in the south.

geek

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2011, 11:24
Being a honeymoon, I would recommend some of the attractions on trail.

Max Patch
Big Bald
Beauty Spot
Roan Highlands
Jones & Laurel Fork Falls

If you end your trip at 19E, you can stop at Mountain Harbour B&B for a night.

What time of year are you wanting your trip? Late spring, you will start to see lots of wildflowers starting to bloom.

bigcranky
03-04-2011, 11:31
Park in Erwin and get a ride to Kincora Hostel, then hike south to your car. You'll get some of the best balds in NC/TN that way. For a shorter hike, start at US 19-E.

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2011, 11:39
i agree roan highlands
one of my favorite sections

misadventurers
03-04-2011, 14:58
Thanks for the tips and Rebekah's honeymoon story!

I spent some more time with the maps and got my terminology down better, and here's my plan now:

Leave from our night 1 kick-off at a lodge in Waynesville and park the car at Dennis Cove Road. Catch a shuttle back to Erwin.

Start at Indian Grave Gap.
8.7 miles to Cherry Gap
14.1 miles to Ash Gap
9.6 miles to Little Hump Mountain (shorter required miles; if we're up to it we'll take a side scenic trail)
14 miles to Elk River
12 miles to Moreland Gap Shelter
6 miles to the car at Dennis Cove road.

We plan on mostly tent camping (it IS a honeymoon!), and we decided to book the lodge first rather than at the end. I hadn't heard of Kincora, oddly - I'll have to look into that, since that's basically where we plan on parking the car and ending! Maybe they'll let us park there and have information on a shuttle to Erwin?

bigcranky
03-04-2011, 15:46
Kincora Hostel will let you park there, and the owner, Bob Peoples, can either shuttle you or help you find a shuttle.

Be advised it's a hiker hostel, not an inn or lodge.