PDA

View Full Version : How many made it through the Whites not using the huts?

Sassafras Lass
02-12-2011, 15:04
I'm not keen on supposedly "free" camping that is absurdly difficult to achieve and if you fail you are fined, with the only other option an expensive "donation".

Who made it through without using the huts?

rickb
02-12-2011, 15:11
I didn't stay at any on my thru. Simply no need.

I have enjoyed several since, under different circumstances.

There is only one Hut which really beckons thru hikers, Lakes of the Clouds. That is because it is in the middle of a long stretch above tree line. That said, if you do a little planning with regard to that section of Trail, it is easy to find a GOOD alternative to even that stopover.

Some people stay at huts because they want to. Others because they are sheep.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2011, 15:15
in 1999 i did a work for stay at mizpuh hut, but every hike after that i skipped them.
i still stay at a pay-tentsite or pay-shelter now and then.
liberty springs tentsite & garfield ridge shelter/tentsite come to mind

Sassafras Lass
02-12-2011, 15:17
I didn't stay at any on my thru. Simply no need.

I have enjoyed several since, under different circumstances.

There is only one Hut which really beckons thru hikers, Lakes of the Clouds. That is because it is in the middle of a long stretch above tree line. That said, if you do a little planning with regard to that section of Trail, it is easy to find a GOOD alternative to even that stopover.

Some people stay at huts because they want to. Others because they are sheep.

Gotcha, then I have more research to do. My first inclincation upon reading the backcountry rules http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/2010_backcountry_rules_web.pdf is "Wow, they really want $!"

Wil
02-12-2011, 15:29
There is only one Hut which really beckons thru hikers, Lakes of the Clouds. That is because it is in the middle of a long stretch above tree line. That said, if you do a little planning with regard to that section of Trail, it is easy to find a GOOD alternative to even that stopover.That's my home ground, and I have trouble finding legal sleep spots for that stretch. The tent site at Mizpah, or somewhat short of it if you don't want to pay anything at all, are fine. But to get from there to the tiny legal site at Valley Way is a haul. And it's through such fantastic terrain that you'd like to take your time.

garlic08
02-12-2011, 16:41
I stayed overnight on the floor at one, Mizpah Springs, in exchange for helping clean the kitchen in the evening. That next day, I ate a free breakfast at Lake of the Clouds (all the scrambled eggs I could eat, since they had been dyed green as a croo prank), lunch at Madison, and breakfast the next morning at the AMC center at Pinkham Notch. I ducked into a couple more for good, cheap and plentiful lunches or free breakfast leftovers. Other than the $2 lunches and nice buffet breakfast at Pinkham Notch, they didn't get any of my money. I sure enjoyed that part of my hike.

emerald
02-12-2011, 16:50
Of the many conveniences AMC offers hikers, the most helpful to A.T. through hikers may be weather reports and the opportunity to increase calories consumed without increasing pack weight. Hikers need not stay at AMC's huts to benefit from them and much uesful information may be obtained there simply by asking.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2011, 18:08
its funny how early down in georgia you don't want to stray to far off the trail, later on if theres food involved? well plans change quick.:D
i dove off the trail down to greenleaf hut, just from a rumor of day old bread and lemonade leftovers. filled up and made the climb back up

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2011, 18:10
I stayed overnight on the floor at one, Mizpah Springs, in exchange for helping clean the kitchen in the evening. That next day, I ate a free breakfast at Lake of the Clouds (all the scrambled eggs I could eat, since they had been dyed green as a croo prank), lunch at Madison, and breakfast the next morning at the AMC center at Pinkham Notch. I ducked into a couple more for good, cheap and plentiful lunches or free breakfast leftovers. Other than the $2 lunches and nice buffet breakfast at Pinkham Notch, they didn't get any of my money. I sure enjoyed that part of my hike.
i stayed in the attic in 99', thought i heard a few weird noises,then a few years later i heard about the ghost of mizpuh hut:eek:

10-K
02-12-2011, 18:19
I stayed at every other one I think - hiking through the Whites and the camping logistics took my pace down to 15 mpd.

I really enjoyed each one. The day I hit the Whites is the same day the huts opened and I had no trouble doing work for stay and eating a boatload of food and sleeping on a mattress for a minimal amount of work.

That it was raining most of the way to Gorham I was very glad to have the roof over my head at night.

TJ aka Teej
02-12-2011, 18:41
Who made it through without using the huts?
You're really thinking ahead, F-Stop. When you get to Glencliff, you'll learn about options to hike the Whites Hut-free, or other plans to fit your needs. I suggest staying at one Hut at least, Lakes if you can. They are a Trip, and one every Ater should experience.

emerald
02-12-2011, 18:59
When you get to Glencliff, you'll learn about options to hike the Whites Hut-free, or other plans to fit your needs. I suggest staying at one Hut at least, Lakes if you can.

I too would like to encourage taking advantage of the opportunities provided by AMC in so far as they provide something useful and by staying at one or more huts.

People who post to WhiteBlaze and don't speak from experience and respectfully really don't have much to contribute here. If the current class wants to be able to contribute something useful next year, they must do their research first, so that they may speak from experience and avoid distributing junk information others who have better things to do with their time must refute.

Llama Legs
02-12-2011, 19:02
are they still doing the $1 soup deal during the day?

garlic08
02-12-2011, 19:11
They were in '08, and another $1 for all the bread products you could eat, and another $1 for all the juice you could drink. Great deal. And at Carter Notch, they had to get rid of a few pounds of Gouda cheese that wouldn't last more than another day or two.

fiddlehead
02-12-2011, 20:20
It's not easy tonot sleep at any of the huts.
You have to know some good spots IMO. Not all of them exactly legal. (all but one maybe)
Lake of the Crowds used to have the dungeon and that would help.
Edmunds Col is not exactly legal I don't believe.
Neither is within 200 feet of the Saco river, but you could find one close to 100 feet.

neighbor dave
02-12-2011, 20:44
it's easy to hike from near mitzpah to "the bluff" in one day over the presidentials in a day in good weather, and there are plenty of places to camp to aviod the rest of the huts. rule is in summer "no camping anywhere where the trees are 8ft tall or less

rickb
02-12-2011, 21:07
It's not easy tonot sleep at any of the huts.
You have to know some good spots IMO. Not all of them exactly legal. (all but one maybe)

Sure it is. Only stretch that requires forethought is between Nauman Tent site and Osgood Tentsite.

If you start at one or the other, walk off the AT to the Perch or other RMC campsites in between.

One can get 90% of the hut experiene without staying overnight at one.

StormBird
02-12-2011, 22:08
It is pretty easy to stealth camp in the whites. Just avoid making camp too early in the day when there are still alot of people on trail. I only stayed in one Hut, Lake of the Clouds, because it was highly exposed and a storm was moving in. I slept on the floor in the dining room and washed pots in the morning for stay. I didn't pay for any sites. Once you get that far along on the trail, it will be easy for you to figure out the logistics of the Whites. Don't sweat it. ;)

SassyWindsor
02-13-2011, 01:46
It is pretty easy to stealth camp in the whites. Just avoid making camp too early in the day when there are still alot of people on trail. I only stayed in one Hut, Lake of the Clouds, because it was highly exposed and a storm was moving in. I slept on the floor in the dining room and washed pots in the morning for stay. I didn't pay for any sites. Once you get that far along on the trail, it will be easy for you to figure out the logistics of the Whites. Don't sweat it. ;)

I concur. Totally agree. What he said. Ok, will the site let me post now?

fiddlehead
02-13-2011, 03:24
Sure it is. Only stretch that requires forethought is between Nauman Tent site and Osgood Tentsite.

If you start at one or the other, walk off the AT to the Perch or other RMC campsites in between.

One can get 90% of the hut experiene without staying overnight at one.

I was thinking "No pay sites", not just huts.
my mistake.

LIhikers
02-13-2011, 19:01
are they still doing the $1 soup deal during the day?

I think we paid $2 a head for soup in the summer of '10.

Pony
02-14-2011, 11:38
If you choose to stay at a hut, please learn the proper way to fold a blanket, or you will face the wrath of the croo.

Railroad King
02-19-2011, 22:42
I camped every night in the Whites. I traveled light and paid for food at the huts which thankfully all had food available. Just takes long miles and a little gambling.

BarFight
02-21-2011, 22:37
Of course you can hike through the Whites without using the Huts. It just takes a little planning and research. Don't piss off the shelter caretakers. They know all the stealth spots if you ask nicely.

Hikerhead
02-21-2011, 23:01
If you choose to stay at a hut, please learn the proper way to fold a blanket, or you will face the wrath of the croo.
And bring ear plugs or else you'll never get to sleep. 45 people in a room and there's going to be some *(%*&#*( who thinks when he gets up at 5 everyone else is suppose to also.

Wil
02-22-2011, 01:17
I think we paid $2 a head for soup in the summer of '10.Yup.

$3 for unlimited refills. I've had them "run out" after 3 bowls, but maybe they caught on to that was going to be my main meal of the day!