PDA

View Full Version : What degree rated bag for mid March NOBO?

LDog
02-12-2011, 18:41
Planning on a mid-March start from Georgia, and am concerned as to whether our Mountain Hardwear Phantom +32 bags will be sufficient. Looking at some historical data, it looks like they just might be if supplemented as necessary by base layer, wool socks, down jacket, cap ...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805727/k.E035/Average_Temperatures_along_the_Appalachian_Trail.h tm

I understand those averages could have some low numbers associated with em ...

Whattya think? Would you take of with a 32+ bag?

Llama Legs
02-12-2011, 19:05
I think you'd be OK with a decent down jacket to wear as well. Just be sure to keep everything dry. Like really dry...

garlic08
02-12-2011, 19:08
And be ready to spend a few nights in towns/hostels if winter weather comes in. The cost of that might pay for a better bag.

I left early April in '08 and hiked through two winter storms above 6000, with night time temps in the teens. My Marmot Helium 15 kept me on trail and out of town. Lots of hikers bailed into Gatlinburg to spend lots of money. The storms were predicted and it's usually easy enough to bail out.

(I had a MH Phantom 45 for the summer and it was an excellent bag, I thought.)

DapperD
02-12-2011, 19:20
Planning on a mid-March start from Georgia, and am concerned as to whether our Mountain Hardwear Phantom +32 bags will be sufficient. Looking at some historical data, it looks like they just might be if supplemented as necessary by base layer, wool socks, down jacket, cap ...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805727/k.E035/Average_Temperatures_along_the_Appalachian_Trail.h tm

I understand those averages could have some low numbers associated with em ...

Whattya think? Would you take of with a 32+ bag?

I think you'd be OK with a decent down jacket to wear as well. Just be sure to keep everything dry. Like really dry...Sounds like good advice. Personally I would not begin a mid March start with a 32 degree bag. I think most would probably begin with something like a 20 degree bag minimum. Mid March is still plenty cold and personnally I would rather be too warm then too cold.

LDog
02-12-2011, 19:21
Just glanced at the thru-hiker's handbook and note that most of the southernmost shelters are between 3000' - 4500' I reckon it'll get cold at night at those altitudes!

DapperD
02-12-2011, 19:23
Just glanced at the thru-hiker's handbook and note that most of the southernmost shelters are between 3000' - 4500' I reckon it'll get cold at night at those altitudes!You better believe that it will:D

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2011, 19:23
20-30 DEGREE BAG
hang on to it, til you reach the grayson highlands, no later than pearisburg VA.

SassyWindsor
02-13-2011, 00:43
I personally wouldn't think of being in any mountains in the US 50 with a bag rated warmer than 32 deg F, anytime of year. Rain and wind will drop temps to unbearable cold, even in July.

Razor
02-13-2011, 01:00
AS you look at those temperature charts, remember that for every 1000 feet of altitude ,the temperture changes 3.5 degrees. In other words the average at the trail will be 7 degrees colder( in Georgia).Add to that a worse chill factor because of wind up high ,and the averages just become a moving target. March can be very cold in Geogia and I have seen people get off because because of not having a zero bag. If you are fortunite a 20 or30 bag can get you by with a lotof cloths to layer inside. Having said that if you like to play the average game and hope for the best,those averages warm an average of 2 degrees per week between March and May. May your decission work for you!

BrianLe
02-13-2011, 01:22
I'm with the consensus here; you would survive it (or get off trail if/when things were really bad) but I suspect that at least at times you wouldn't enjoy it. I agree with the idea of (decent quality) 20F bags, augmented with puffy clothing you have along as needed, until Pearisburg, then swap for those 32F bags. At least if they're full zips. When it gets warm, I wouldn't prefer a half-zip bag for my warm weather bag.

Panzer1
02-13-2011, 04:22
I would go with a 20 degree bag. A 15 degree would be better.
Save your 32 degree for the summer.

Panzer

Tinker
02-13-2011, 05:15
I think you'd be OK with a decent down jacket to wear as well. Just be sure to keep everything dry. Like really dry...
I would also suggest buying and carrying down pants (I have a pair made by Western Mountaineering). I've used my 40 degree bag in temps in the mid twenties sleeping on snow using a 3/8 blue foam pad. I was comfortable and probably would have been able to stay that way down into the mid teens (especially if I used a hot water bottle).
My down pants weigh 8 ozs. (xl) and the fact that you can wear them around camp and then to bed makes them dual usage. I should note that you probably should wear long underwear (I always do in cold weather) to keep the inside of your bag and clothing clean(er). Washing down is a pain (mostly the drying) and I'm convinced that keeping washings to a minimum extends the down life.

Bob McCaw
02-13-2011, 08:58
I would also suggest buying and carrying down pants (I have a pair made by Western Mountaineering). I've used my 40 degree bag in temps in the mid twenties sleeping on snow using a 3/8 blue foam pad. I was comfortable and probably would have been able to stay that way down into the mid teens (especially if I used a hot water bottle).
My down pants weigh 8 ozs. (xl) and the fact that you can wear them around camp and then to bed makes them dual usage. I should note that you probably should wear long underwear (I always do in cold weather) to keep the inside of your bag and clothing clean(er). Washing down is a pain (mostly the drying) and I'm convinced that keeping washings to a minimum extends the down life.

+1 to all suggestions to pack warm lightweight clothing as well as a decent bag. It can be 70 degrees in the southern mountains one day and 20 degrees a couple of days later, even in April.

Papa D
02-13-2011, 09:37
I'd start with a 5 degree down bag and make sure to keep it really dry - mail your 32 deg bag to Irwin, TN and then bounce box it to Damascus if it's still cold - you can transition to a lighter bag - 40 deg. or quilt come summer. Remember that with the exception of Western Mountaineering and a couple of other good companies, the rating is really just a "survival" rating - not what you want for a good night's sleep - I usually add about 12-14 degrees.

QiWiz
02-16-2011, 21:58
I personally (not wanting to have to get off trail) would take a 20 degree or warmer bag, plus puffy jacket and insulated pants in mid March. HYOH. You might get lucky.

Appalachian Tater
02-16-2011, 23:05
15-20 from a good manufacturer. From an off-brand, the rating is meaningless except to compare to other bags of the same brand. If you are willing to wear all your clothes including your down or fleece in the bag you might get away with a higher-rated bag but make sure you can actually fit comfortably wearing all those clothes. It is very hard to sleep when you are truly cold.

swjohnsey
02-16-2011, 23:34
It is good to suffer a little, occasionally. It makes one appreciatel the little comforts.

LDog
02-16-2011, 23:45
Thanks for all the input. I'm looking at the Marmont Helium +15. I scored a women's 2010 closeout version for Mary yesterday for $275 from REI . Still looking for a good deal on a men's version. So far, it looks like $350 at Campmor ...

Jim Adams
02-17-2011, 01:42
I used a 20* quality bag in 1990 and was cold a few nights in the teens and single digits.
Used a 0* in 2002 until Pearisburg then switched to a 32* and used it as a quilt over the summer, then switched back to the 0* in Glencliff, NH. I was comfortable the entire trip.

geek