PDA

View Full Version : Leave date is getting close have a few questions

Brian321
02-12-2011, 18:53
I am planning on leaving in March but I still have a few questions for every one

1. What kind of food is the best to bring and how much or how many days should I pack for? (I dont know how much I will eat on the trail, I eat alot right now)

2.What do you guys do with your pack when you go to a town or into a store to buy food/gear?

3.Will I know where to go once im hiking? (Like which way town is and where to buy food/gear etc.)

4.Is there alot of cigarette/pot smoking on the trail? ( I really dont want to be around alot of smoke)

5.Should I buy a pack cover or just use a trash bag?

6. Does it get less crowded the farther you get down the trail and how can I miss a big crowd when I start? (I will be hiking NOBO starting early-mid March)

Thanks,
Brian

Turtle Feet
02-12-2011, 19:04
I am planning on leaving in March but I still have a few questions for every one

1. What kind of food is the best to bring and how much or how many days should I pack for? (I dont know how much I will eat on the trail, I eat alot right now)

2.What do you guys do with your pack when you go to a town or into a store to buy food/gear?

3.Will I know where to go once im hiking? (Like which way town is and where to buy food/gear etc.)

4.Is there alot of cigarette/pot smoking on the trail? ( I really dont want to be around alot of smoke)

6. Does it get less crowded the farther you get down the trail and how can I miss a big crowd when I start? (I will be hiking NOBO starting early-mid March)

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian - I'm a mid-March start too, so who knows, maybe we'll run into each other out there.

1. 3-4 days of food at one time is fine. There are few places on the trail that you can't reach within 4 days.

2. I haven't hit the trail yet, so I'll leave that question to the experts.

3. Pick up the A.T. Guide NOBO by David "AWOL" Miller, will answer ALL those questions and more! (you can buy online)

4. You can always walk away - just like real life.

5. Yes to a pack cover (imho). Personally, I'm using a "Packa", combo packcover and raingear.

6. Yes, as thru-hikers drop, the trail opens up, but remember, as summer approaches, the general population hits the trail too. I wouldn't worry about the crowds, you don't 'have' to hike with anyone, you don't 'have' to sleep in or around the shelters (except the Smokies). We're all in the same boat, so misery loves company...lol!

tf

Turtle Feet
02-12-2011, 19:06
I should also add - to #5. I'm also using an interior bag (a trash compactor bag), to put my clothing & down items in. Even if it isn't raining, your things can get damp from heavy fog, you could have a slip during a stream crossing ... you never know. :D

dragoro
02-12-2011, 20:18
At your start date, the beginning is going to be real busy. There's no getting around that, but the crowd spreads out fast.

Blissful
02-12-2011, 20:46

Thanks,
Brian

1. Check my blog for food ideas. can resupply in 3-4 days

2. If a big store, just put it in the shopping cart with you. If convenience store, leave it in the front window where you can see it. Sometimes yu can bring it in and leave it in the corner of the store

3. You need to bring maps and a guide like the companion

4. Yes, there is smoking, I mean not a lot but its out there. Avoid shelters

5. I used both - the interior bag you want is a trash compactor bag

6. You're gonna have hikers to start for sure. But they tend to spread out and you meet up with hikers at night. If you want to be more alone, avoid shelter areas and tent

shwn354
02-12-2011, 21:28
eat whatever you want. your body will burn off pretty much as many calories as you can cram in in a day. I went weeks where breakfast and lunch would be a tortilla spread with frosting and M+M's, though there are certainly healthier ways of eating on the trail. you definitely need one of the guidebooks to get around. it'll tell you how far to more food, shelter, pretty much any question you'd have. agreed that AWOL's is the best. I always leave my pack outside the store I'm going into, haven't had a problem yet, but I tend to be overly optimistic. There is a decent bit of smoking out there, then again you're in the great outdoors and can easily avoid it. I do a trash bag liner with a pack cover on top. Cost me $30 and I feel it was worth every penny. Unfortunately you are leaving with the crowd, but as others have said it thins out quick. Maybe start from springer midweek? I did on a tuesday three years ago and there were only about 6 people on top that night. good luck, i'm extremely jealous.

dragoro
02-12-2011, 21:35
Or start on a morning that's raining. That'll help to keep the crowd thin, at least for that day.

StormBird
02-12-2011, 22:01

Thanks,
Brian

1.) You will get to Neel's Gap (a place to resupply on trail) in about 3 to 4 days, so bring that much to begin. The easiest food to pack is poptarts for bfast, trailmix & snickers bars for snacks and lunch and lipton packets with tuna packets for dinner. You will figure out what you like along the way and adjust accordingly.

2.) I bring my pack with me everywhere unless I am staying at a hostel or motel. I usually throw my pack in a shopping cart around grocery stores and then repack my food outside the store. Believe me, you'll get used to carrying your pack everywhere and you won't even notice it after awhile. ;)

3.) The trail is VERY well marked, but you may not know where to resupply unless you carry one of the guidebooks. i suggest AWOL's book.

4.) There is a fair amount of smoking on trail, but people are usually pretty considerate of other hikers. I wouldn't worry.

5.) I had all of the gear in my pack in dry sacks as well as using a pack cover to keep puddles of water from accumulating on my pack in heavy rains or sleet. it you don't want to shell out the money, just use an extra large garbage bag around your pack with slits cut for the straps. I saw alot of hikers do this.

6.) You are starting at the prime starting time. You will be around alot of people. It may be stressful at first, but keep in mind that after spending 6 months on trail, some of those people you start with may be some of your best friends later. The crowds will thin out alot near the end. 20% drop out in the first 30 miles, 50% by harper's ferry and so on.

Good luck and happy trails! I wish I were back out there again this year. :D

emerald
02-12-2011, 22:05

Thanks,
Brian

It is generally a good idea to hitch and shop with a friend. One looks after both packs while the other shops.

Wobegon
02-13-2011, 00:10
For leaving so soon, you seem to have a ton of really basic questions...

Brian321
02-13-2011, 00:51
In gathering information I did not get a chance to ask some of the more basic questions, I am doing so now. Thank you all, for the help.

Also I have decided to go sooner than I expected, I will be leaving in one week, How are winter conditions this time of year?

Thanks,
Brian

Turtle Feet
02-13-2011, 00:53
In gathering information I did not get a chance to ask some of the more basic questions, I am doing so now. Thank you all, for the help.

Also I have decided to go sooner than I expected, I will be leaving in one week, How are winter conditions this time of year?

Thanks,
Brian

You can check daily temps here.
http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php (http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php)

You will run into snow yet for sure. Hope you're ready for winter camping?!?

Awol1970
02-13-2011, 01:22

I dunno FargoBill.. they seem like good questions to me.

You have gotten excellent advice thus far.

If you are totally inexperienced (which is fine) soak up info the info and adjust when you are walking. Nothing improves performance on a learning curve better than experience. And a week or so walking in the woods will increase your experience immensly.

Bronk
02-13-2011, 01:53
Leave on a Monday or Tuesday and it shouldn't be too crowded initially.

swjohnsey
02-13-2011, 11:03

Thanks,
Brian

You can get a 10 day weather forcast online. I would certainly get one for before you take off and you can get one now for the first two or three towns on the trail.

swjohnsey
02-13-2011, 11:04
Leave on a Monday or Tuesday and it shouldn't be too crowded initially.

Also for the folks flying, Tuesday is generally the cheapest day.

Wobegon
02-13-2011, 15:21
I dunno FargoBill.. they seem like good questions to me.

I didn't mean to sound like a dick earlier.. just saying all of these questions can be answered by reading the most basic FAQ's about the trail.

Brian321
02-13-2011, 17:57
I also forgot to ask how much cash should I have on me? I plan on bring my cards but would like to keep a small amount of cash on me, just incase. What is a good amount to have?

Thanks,
Brian

swjohnsey
02-13-2011, 21:58
Blind leadin' the blind. I plan to start with about $500 cash, plus debit card and credit card. I will receive another $100 every two weeks in mail drop. I am using mail drop for about 1/3 of my food/supplies. Plan on eating in restaraunts/fast food as much as possible but don't plan on stayin' in hostels or motels much if at all.

STICK
02-14-2011, 00:09
Yep soak up all you can here, but the cool thing is that when you step on the trail you will learn what works for you.

Will you be keeping a trail journal or an online blog update?

And good luck! Did I mention that I am green with envy...

Brian321
02-14-2011, 00:43
Yep soak up all you can here, but the cool thing is that when you step on the trail you will learn what works for you.

Will you be keeping a trail journal or an online blog update?

And good luck! Did I mention that I am green with envy...

Yes I plan on writing a journal, I cant decide what to bring to write on though. I have a small rite in the rain pad but not sure if regular paper would be better.

Brian

STICK
02-14-2011, 00:50
Haha... I was actually talking about an online trail journal...

I have wanted to try those rite in the rain journals, but I have always just carried a small notebook and a pen in a ziploc. A few times I had one in my hand, but just didn't spend the whopping $3 for it. For my small trips now I have no need for it.

However, when I do my thru, I do plan on getting something a little bigger rather than just a little notepad. I would like to have a full size (or at least close to it) pad to write on, you know what I mean? A waterproof journal may make more sense then since it will be exposed for a much longer amount of time...

And be sure to bring a camera!

Brian321
02-14-2011, 01:15
Haha... I was actually talking about an online trail journal...

I have wanted to try those rite in the rain journals, but I have always just carried a small notebook and a pen in a ziploc. A few times I had one in my hand, but just didn't spend the whopping $3 for it. For my small trips now I have no need for it.

However, when I do my thru, I do plan on getting something a little bigger rather than just a little notepad. I would like to have a full size (or at least close to it) pad to write on, you know what I mean? A waterproof journal may make more sense then since it will be exposed for a much longer amount of time...

And be sure to bring a camera!

I see, I am not familiar with doing online journals. I guess you would write it on the trail and transfer it online when you got home? I guess I will be bring a medium size notepad, I can always buy another one in the next trail town if I run out of room.

I actually bought a little bit better camera than what I had to take on this trip, I might not ever get a chance to go again(I hope I do but you never know). I want to make sure the pics turn out good.

Thanks,
Brian